Survival Belt

Posted by: hikermor

Survival Belt - 01/17/15 03:16 AM

Just ran across this and thought I would share - http://www.alpenlore.com/shop.html . Poking around on their site there is a definite disclaimer that this belt is not for rigging or climbing situations which decreases my interest...

But hey, now we have the belt. Can the suspenders be far behind?
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Survival Belt - 01/17/15 04:15 AM

I use a rigger's webbing belt that is made as a safety belt, and rated as such. Not for climbing, only for emergencies. I do, however, use suspenders with it when in the woods!

These belts do have a lot of paracord, but what happens to your pants when you use the paracord for other things?
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Survival Belt - 01/17/15 04:21 AM

Maybe survival garter belts!
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Survival Belt - 01/17/15 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
, but what happens to your pants when you use the paracord for other things?

Looks like it has a core of webbing that's left behind when you take the paracord off.
Posted by: Fyrediver

Re: Survival Belt - 01/18/15 08:13 PM

The weak link is the buckle. Who cares what the triangle ring or webbing is rated for when they list no rating for the buckle.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Survival Belt - 01/18/15 08:20 PM

$70 for webbing belt and 50' of paracord? You are kidding? Get regular webbing belt for $9 - max. shipped, wive around some paracord you already have, tuck in a blade, matches, and what's not... sell for $50 - profit! smile The buckle is fancy on that one, right. But I doubt its survival properties. I'd rather trust a scuba belt buckle.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Survival Belt - 01/18/15 11:08 PM

Yeah, its a bit odd they just didn't use a AustriAlpin COBRA buckle.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Survival Belt - 01/19/15 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Alex
$70 for webbing belt and 50' of paracord?

Don't forget 1 scapula blade, 2 fishing hooks and 3 matches...

A somewhat meager definition of "survival kit", in my book.

Re: Survival Belt - 01/19/15 06:25 PM

The whole effort is rather meager(albeit over priced), but interesting. I would opt for an adequately strong, weight bearing buckle, and tubular webbing rather than the flat stuff they feature.

Braiding lighter cordage around a strong core is an interesting concept and should be a straight forward DIY project. If I were to do this, I would use more than one type of light cordage. I was also amused by the fish hooks without any line. They make it clear that they are not using paracord, but whether their cordage can furnish lighter line for fishing is unclear.....

An ideal "survival belt" would be fully weight bearing, and would incorporate enough survival goodies to make a difference. Maybe you could even squeeze in FOUR matches, but then I have always been a hopeless dreamer
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Survival Belt - 01/19/15 11:39 PM

I can fit a whole lot more in a cell phone or camera case. Easier to get to as well
Posted by: Alex

Re: Survival Belt - 01/20/15 02:23 AM

Another benefit of braided cordage on such a belt (besides the cordage itself utility) is to attach other gear anywhere to the bottom loops line. I prefer belts with eyelets integrated, but that's another good option.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Survival Belt - 01/21/15 01:10 AM

It's a nice toy/idea, but you'd be better served with the proverbial altoids pocket kit. I think trying to fit one of those belts under a frame pack hip belt is going to be blister city. And, lets face it, if you're far enough out to require fish hooks.....

Re: Survival Belt - 01/21/15 08:35 PM

You are correct. The attraction of a properly fabricated survival belt would be its increased utility. One almost always wears a belt, so lets expand its capability. Make it load bearing, like a riggers belt and devise some means of affixing various survival goodies. Then you could carry an altoids box and wear the belt, both with carefully and thoughtfully integrated components.

The cobra buckle seems promising. On all the rigging belts with which I am familiar, the steel buckles are rather heavy and not really suitable for routine wear. The fun is to customize this kind of gadget, thus avoiding blisters and such.

Back to the drawing board.