Your 2nd kit; desk, locker, car

Posted by: TeacherRO

Your 2nd kit; desk, locker, car - 01/09/15 05:10 PM

There is edc/ on body kit, but then there is the next level -- What do you keep handy in your truck, desk, work locker, lunch bag, briefcase, etc.?
Posted by: Russ

Re: Your 2nd kit; desk, locker, car - 01/09/15 05:22 PM

My 96 hour kit is in the truck, with my GHB being a subset of that kit. If I go to work, this kit is in the parking lot within walking distance. If I'm at home it's in the garage. It's never very far away.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Your 2nd kit; desk, locker, car - 01/09/15 06:44 PM

I stock both our vehicles with basics, including sleeping bag, cook set, and food. I figure the likely ultimate disaster would be a severe earthquake, and the stuff stashed in the vehicle would be accessible even in that situation.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Your 2nd kit; desk, locker, car - 01/09/15 08:04 PM

my 72 hour remain overnight kit is in my car.. there is always a 1/2 case of water, extra fleece and GoreTex.. heavy stuff in the plastic crate... first aid in the dry box

Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Your 2nd kit; desk, locker, car - 01/09/15 11:20 PM

Each car has an emergency bag. It serves as a "stuck in a snowbank for three days" kit, an "I gotta hoof it a bunch of miles to safety" kit, and it provides more mundane day-to-day capabilities for first aid, fixing broken things, charging dead cellphones, and so on. All the Ten Essentials are there, with redundancy in water disinfection, fire, sharps, and illumination. Our cars always have quite a bit of bottled water in them; the emergency bags have hydration bladders that can be filled from the bottles if circumstances warrant.

There's also a duffel in my car with dry clothes, spare outerwear and boots, and an ECWSS setup if I'm stuck overnight someplace. Each car also has a jumpstarter that includes a compressor, an LED work light, and the capability to charge our phones or amateur radio HTs.

If you get the idea that the trunk of my car is pretty full, you're right.

Either emergency bag can serve as the core of the Family Sized bug out/bug in gear. I keep two two wife-portable bins, large water containers, and a dedicated box of ammo in the garage. These can go into either car in a couple of minutes, or stay home if that's where we are going to be.

My laptop bag has the best kit I can make that is low volume, low weight and TSA-friendly. First thing I do when clearing airport security is to buy water and often a meal to take onto the flight. I add a multitool to it when I'm not flying.

When I worked downtown and commuted on the train, I kept dry clothes, water, some food and a few other things in a locked, dedicated desk drawer. The one thing I really wanted to keep in my office but never got done was a bicycle. I did carry a good-sized wad of cash and the locations of two local bike shops; my backup plan if I couldn't find some way to ride home in the train or a car was to get to a bike shop and buy a bike. I'm not sorry to report that I don't have an office downtown any more.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Your 2nd kit; desk, locker, car - 01/13/15 06:21 PM

i keep snacks and a clean shirt handy.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Your 2nd kit; desk, locker, car - 01/14/15 02:44 AM

It's split between my briefcase (pills, cell phone support equipment, etc), my desk (first aid kit, sewing kit, lite tools), and the car (water and heavier tools).

To be honest, I could probably just do what everybody else in the office does. They cram everything into a large laptop backpack, and keep gym clothes in the car.