Essential Winter Survival Skills

Posted by: hikermor

Essential Winter Survival Skills - 12/28/14 05:03 PM

I ran across this article and thought I would share http://sectionhiker.com/5-essential-winter-survival-skills/

My experience certainly agrees with the points the author makes....
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Essential Winter Survival Skills - 12/29/14 09:19 AM

Thanks for sharing.
I think the author makes good points. I would have a different approach with the first aid skills. I would like all of the buddies possess those skills. If things go south, the only person who possesses the essential skills may well be the one who is injured. I would not like that.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Essential Winter Survival Skills - 01/07/15 06:32 PM

"The first rule of first aid is simple: don't get shot yourself." — Peter McAleese
Posted by: KenK

Re: Essential Winter Survival Skills - 01/08/15 01:36 AM

Does smoke from a typical wood fire ever really alert rescuers??

Hopefully the article is not suggesting that skills are listed in chronological order or order of importance. I would think First aid should come first, unless the injury is very minor.

Its unfortunate that the article doesn't mention a 406 MHz personal locator beacon.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Essential Winter Survival Skills - 01/08/15 01:48 AM

In my experience - YES - on several occasions. Both sight and smell are effective....
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Essential Winter Survival Skills - 01/09/15 01:29 AM

A timely article. In reading the comments, one guy says he brings a hatchet. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time hanging onto a hatchet when it's really cold and snowy. The palm of my gloves glaze and I can't control the edge. I have switched to a saw in winter.... Similar problems gripping, but lesser consequences.