How much water do you carry for a day hike?

Posted by: ATN

How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/21/14 08:49 PM

How much water do you generally carry for a day hike? I know it will vary a little from region to region but on average, how much water do you start off with on your day hike? Pick the closest answer.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/21/14 10:00 PM

It will depend on where I'm hiking and who is with me, but most commonly I carry a Camelbak with 100oz capacity.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/21/14 11:23 PM

The amount varies so much that your request in nonsensical. Hiking in S. Arizona, 5 quarts has proven inadequate for me(and others) on several occasions, while hiking in moister, higher humidity conditions (So Cal Channel Islands) I have often consumed less that one quart.

And the question arises, what if you are delayed for any reason? Just as you should have the means of starting fire, in many situations, you should always have extra water. This relates to the amount of water available in your situation.

The speed and intensity at which you are hiking, as well as the weight of what you are carrying, will also profoundly influence the required amount of H2O.
Posted by: Denis

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/21/14 11:52 PM

I usually carry 2-3 litres of water. I'll also always have some form of water purification with me (even if just some tablets in my emergency kit) to treat additional water if needed.
Posted by: Russ

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/22/14 12:16 AM

At most I'll carry the 100 oz bladder in my Camelbak plus a 1 liter bottle. I also have a water filter (which attaches to the bottle) to make more depending on the availability of sources. As Hikermor implied, in the desert SW you can't carry enough.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/22/14 03:26 AM

Typically...

In pack
1 liter bottle and cup
Camelbak bladder (clean water only)
Platypus 1liter collapsible (dirty water only)
Sawyer mini and purification tablets

In cargo pocket
Platypus 1liter collapsible (rolled up, in case I get separated from pack)

In PSK
2x whirlpak bags and purification tablets
Posted by: wildman800

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/22/14 04:40 PM

I'm in South Louisiana. A normal day hike in familiar territory is a qt plus means to purify more if needed. In unfamiliar territory, I'll always carry a camel back with extra food in addition to my day hiking rig with water.
Posted by: haertig

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/22/14 08:49 PM

Two liters is what I carry for a short (a few hours) hike. A longer hike - say running from early/mid morning through late afternoon - and I take 3 liters minimum. This is in the Colorado mountains, 3 season hiking, not desert or anything extreme. Should I run out (I never have), there is much stream and lake water readily available that I could purify.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/22/14 08:58 PM

Depends on the distance untill the next place I can fill up or i'm back.
Posted by: boatman

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/22/14 09:55 PM

In the military the typical load out was two, one quart canteens.I have learned to work with that.I also carry a SAWYER filter and chlorine dioxide tabs for "just in case.I have a 100 oz. Camelbak but I find cleaning it after occasional use to be a pain.Canteens (Nalgenes) just are more practical for me.

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: clearwater

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/23/14 12:22 AM

One quart in mild weather.
One and a half quarts backpacking in mild weather
5 quarts in desert hiking
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/23/14 07:02 AM

For a short hike in mild weather I carry a 40oz stainless steel bottle. If I expect to be out longer I will carry two bottles or a bottle and a hydration bladder. What can I say- I drink a lot of water!
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/23/14 12:18 PM

It does not only depend on the region it also depends on the weather conditions. For me the variation is not a little but almost a magnitude of ten even in the same region. In cold, humid weather conditions one quart is plenty. In hot weather and probably carrying some gear it may easily be 5qts to 7 qts. Lots of altitude changes easily add 1 qt for the higher intensity.
The amount also depends on whether I will have a reliable source for refills along the way.
I prefer the Platypus bladders as the are really easy to clean and dry.
A motorcycle tour in full protective gear on a hot summer day may require 10+qts.
Posted by: Blast

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/26/14 01:02 PM

Summer hikes in Texas I'll load up with a minimum of 4 liters of water plus one bottle of sport's drink. I ran out of water once on a trail down here and it was really scary. Since then I always take too much water to make sure I'll have enough.
-Blast

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/26/14 04:17 PM

It's always difficult to figure how much water is enough. It would be easier if water weighed less.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/26/14 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Summer hikes in Texas I'll load up with a minimum of 4 liters of water plus one bottle of sport's drink. I ran out of water once on a trail down here and it was really scary. Since then I always take too much water to make sure I'll have enough.
-Blast

same thing happened to me and now i always take too much. which is just right.
Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/26/14 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
It's always difficult to figure how much water is enough. It would be easier if water weighed less.

Isn't that the truth. It effectively weighs less if it is in you. Always a good idea to super-hydrate before you hit the trail. That way you don't have to carry it on your back. Even then I carry a 100oz bladder and an extra liter Nalgene for cooking with.
Posted by: fooman

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/27/14 08:46 AM

If I'm out for the day, I'll bring along a 100oz/3L camelbak.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/27/14 12:13 PM

From 1 to 4 liters depending on conditions. In the desert with highs in 80's maybe more.

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/27/14 12:38 PM

I would expect to carry a gallon of water per day in the desert BUT I've never hiked through a desert either.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/28/14 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: boatman
In the military the typical load out was two, one quart canteens.I have learned to work with that.I also carry a SAWYER filter and chlorine dioxide tabs for "just in case.I have a 100 oz. Camelbak but I find cleaning it after occasional use to be a pain.Canteens (Nalgenes) just are more practical for me.

BOATMAN
John

Pretty much my experience. Ive gone with the camel back stuff and keep coming back to canteens. Even the military has started to issude water pouches, and I hated it.

2 quarts for standard day hike unless Im real familiar with the area. 3-4 if the heat is really high. Always water tabs in the canteen pocket.
Posted by: boatman

Re: How much water do you carry for a day hike? - 11/29/14 06:13 PM

If I do wear my CAMELBAK I will still carry a canteen with cup on my belt.If my water bladder should spring a leak I can still carry/treat water.A NALGENE is a little more puncture resistant than a bladder.

BOATMAN
John