Homemade MRE's

Posted by: TeacherRO

Homemade MRE's - 11/08/14 06:35 PM

Link 1 Making your own MRE's

Link 2

there are many more links on Pinterest.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/08/14 06:53 PM

Nice organization tips, but those aren't MRE's at all. They are dealing with fairly standard backpacking fare (ramen, etc.) that can be cooked quickly and easily (boil water, combine, and wait five minutes). MREs can be eaten cold, right out of the package, like pizza.

What this country needs is an MRE pizza - pepperoni and black olives, please
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/09/14 02:59 AM

How will you melt the cheese?
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/09/14 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
How will you melt the cheese?
I think he means cook the pizza, then put it in the MRE.

Cold pizza is good! I think it was Libby Riddles, the first woman to win the Iditarod, who said cold pizza was her favorite trail food. Course she had to keep in a Coleman cooler on her sled to keep it from freezing solid!
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/09/14 01:37 PM

Quote:
What this country needs is an MRE pizza - pepperoni and black olives, please

Military Grade Type 2 Experimental Pepperoni Crumble Pizza.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/foods-lifetime/story?id=22522167

NOooooooo.

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/09/14 03:20 PM

Bravo!

I like pizza, both hot and cold varieties...With something like this available, I may just have to reenlist...
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/09/14 04:03 PM

Peanut butter is my favourite MRE

Instructions are simple:

Open the jar
Dip your finger
Put it your mouth !

Enjoy !!

LOL
Posted by: yee

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/09/14 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel

http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html

I've been experimenting with Moose Goo with great success. [and its related plumpy'nut] I prefer to use milk powder over corn flour. As far as I can tell, corn flour has the nutritional value of cardboard (before being vitamin fortified). Milk powder has an acceptable shelf life.

Moosegoo tastes great but is a bit thick when it is cold. I don't have a good solution for packaging yet. The refillable toothpaste tube works but only in warm temperatures.

I am trying to solve packaging issues using individual serving vacuum sealed bags. I have yet to figure out what bread/tortilla to put the Moosegoo on for best results since everything simply falls apart. Of course, the Moosegoo can be eaten directly.

Honey has pretty much infinite shelf life. Peanut butter about several years. Milk powder a year or two. Unrefrigerated, MooseGoo should have a the shelf-life should be on the order of a year or two. Not quite SOLAS/Coast Guard 5 year requirement but quite acceptable.
Posted by: chickenlittle

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/10/14 01:56 AM

Canned refried beans and a bag of corn chips?
Crunchy granola trailmix?

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/10/14 02:53 AM

My favorite (other than the yet unsampled MRE pizza) quickie meal is any of several energy bars (Lara, Clif, etc. combined with a Tanka Bar, essentially pemmican. Lots of quality protein, but a bit expensive. I eat them only on special occasions...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_3iepfg00pz_e
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/15/14 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel

Instructions are simple:

Open the jar
Dip your finger
Put it your mouth !

Enjoy !!

LOL

MREs... I've been tempted to buy MREs that I don't like just because I know there's a peanut butter pack in it. LOL!

Whenever friends and relatives head South of the border, I ask them to pick me up some of those individual "Justin's Nut Butter" peanut butter packs y'all have down there, but nobody thinks I'm serious. smirk (I realize I can buy them on-line but I'm a brick and mortar shopper.)

I often fill a little container at home, but those little squishy packs are so much lighter and easier.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/15/14 06:50 PM

You know you can buy the MRE peanut butter packs separately, right :-) ?
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Homemade MRE's - 11/16/14 01:19 AM

And you can buy Bee's Knees from Peanut Butter Company - My FAVORITE peanut butter - in individual packs (as well as all their other varities). Amazon has a good price (as good as it gets anyway).

Respectfully,

Jerry