Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly?

Posted by: ireckon

Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/08/14 11:58 PM

I tried out mineral oil on cotton as tinder. It works well. I heard somebody say mineral oil burns hotter than petroleum jelly (PJ), but I couldn't find any data to prove that. Mineral oil is cleaner to manage (not a big deal). However, PJ has more alternative uses I think.

For tinder, do you carry mineral oil and cotton, or PJ and cotton?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 12:02 AM

Having tried a number of things, I'm carrying Tinder-Quik. I've got Purel as a backup.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 12:50 AM

I reckon,

You need 1more option, Sometimes. Like Chaosmagnet, I normally carry Tinder-Quick, but sometimes go back to PJ.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 04:50 AM

Tinder-Quik is in a tough market. I can get 13 ounces of Vaseline and 500 cotton balls for about $7, and these items have many other uses besides fire starting.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 08:45 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Tinder-Quik is in a tough market. I can get 13 ounces of Vaseline and 500 cotton balls for about $7, and those items have many other uses besides fire starting.

True, but I think Tinder-Quik is among the best quality products you can find. Cotton balls and Vaseline work but it's messy. The Tinder-Quik are premade, very water resistant and very compact. I'd rather use them than cotton balls in a pinch. But of course, the cotton balls work great and are a lot cheaper.
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 01:49 PM

I've used the PJ and cotton balls, but they are messy. They do work well.

I picked up some o those Tinder Cards a few weeks back, haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but will on my next camping trip.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 03:32 PM

Quote:
I've used the PJ and cotton balls, but they are messy.

They are messy , but if I have to use them instead of a lighter or match, I am already in a MESSY situation. I won't mind anything to start a fire.

Oh, and the excess PJ ?
I won't mind smearing that over my hands.
Can't do that with mineral oil.
Posted by: yee

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel

They are messy , but if I have to use them instead of a lighter or match, I am already in a MESSY situation.

Interesting. PJ cotton balls are my PREFERRED way to make fires. Cheap, works well.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 03:55 PM

I've never tried mineral oil but, when I'm out & about in the outdoors, a firesteel & PJ cotton balls are my primary fire starting method. I do also have some Tinder-Quik, but they are tucked away in a kit as a back-up item.

As mentioned, the PJ & cotton balls are inexpensive and as so are my go-to item for regular use.

I don't find them too messy, but I don't tend to go too heavy on the PJ. I tried making saturated ones once but wasn't able to come up with a combination that used a lot of PJ that I was still able to light easily.
Posted by: yee

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Denis
I don't tend to go too heavy on the PJ. I tried making saturated ones once but wasn't able to come up with a combination that used a lot of PJ that I was still able to light easily.

Using only a little PJ leaves the cotton ball fluff intact. Saturated cotton balls require about 30 sec of fluffing up before it will take a spark.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/09/14 05:59 PM

My current fave is Purelle hand sanitizer -definitely clean burning.

Actually quite a few household items work well for fire starting - like Chapstick, if I understand correctly
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Mineral Oil instead of Petroleum Jelly? - 09/27/14 05:52 PM

Tinder-quik for me too. But I char one of the tinders as well to make it easier to light with a magnifier lens. When the sun is lower in the sky and it is cool out, everything counts in making a fire.