Lightweight/compact shelter/protection

Posted by: Omega

Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 02:13 PM

I was thinking about some suitable shelter that is compact and can be easily carried for emergencies, particularly in cold windy conditions. Mountain climbers regularly experience extreme conditions and their gear includes good lightweight clothing, tent, good sleeping bag and sometimes a candle.
Si think something similar, but smaller and lighter, can be achieved by an emergency shelter, inflating mattress/chair/pillow (floor insulation) and suitable clothing (what you wear in case of emergency). I guess it is not going to be a comfortable or long-term resting equipment, but good enough to survive. What do you think?

Then there is another extreme - heat. In this case, you need a sun protection (double layer of a sheet separated by air) installed on poles and hide under it. Maybe even excavate the ground to avoid ground heat. I guess it is already something relatively lightweight. Are there lighter alternatives?

Thanks
Posted by: yee

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Omega
I was thinking about some suitable shelter that is compact and can be easily carried for emergencies, particularly in cold windy conditions. ... but smaller and lighter, can be achieved by an emergency shelter, ...not going to be a comfortable or long-term resting equipment, but good enough to survive.

.. another extreme - heat. In this case, you need a sun protection ... relatively lightweight. ...

Space blanket. The cheap ones, though, are effectively single use.

Can't fold them back up but are useful to break the wind in cold (but doesn't insulate) and also protects from sun in heat.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 02:50 PM

The classic mountaineering shelter for cold and windy is a bivouac sack - one that is basically just a bag, not a mini-tent. It will weigh under a pound and will keep off wind and rain. Often used when sitting out the night on an exposed ledge, it doesn't have bug netting or any weighty frills.

For sun protection, find some shade or rig a space blanket.Some distance hikers advocate a light weight umbrella if one is moving. Staying off the ground or finding natural shade is a good idea.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 02:53 PM

I prefer the Heatsheets 2-person blanket -- it's still small enough to fit in very small kits, but it's a lot more sturdy than the cheap mylar emergency blankets.

Recently I added a small, inexpensive tarp to my car kit (http://www.rescue-essentials.com/base-all-purpose-tarp/, no affiliation) but I haven't had time to do anything with it yet. It's small and light enough to go in a backpack fairly easily.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 03:44 PM

Maybe even excavate the ground to avoid ground heat.

Just noticed this. Don't even think about it. You will expend far too much energy and get way too hot. I am archaeologist with a lot of desert experience. Actually, natural shade isn't that hard to find in most desert situations, especially if you are motivated.....
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Maybe even excavate the ground to avoid ground heat.

Just noticed this. Don't even think about it. You will expend far too much energy and get way to hot. I am archaeologist with a lot of desert experience. Actually, natural shade isn't that hard to find in most desert situations, especially if you are motivated.....

You don't have "people" to do that for you?
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 05:21 PM

Extra large leaf bag. Use as a bivy in cold, wet weather.

Slit down sides to make a sun shade. Black is best for that. Beats the light space blankets for the darkest shade.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 05:26 PM

Kifaru woobie express.
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/20120323-191543.jpg

+

Snugpak patrol poncho.
http://www.proforceequipment.com/images/119/main.jpg

+

Something to sit on that keeps the behind off the cold ground.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 05:26 PM

in my remain overnight bag....I don't sleep well on the ground, so have decided that I would most likely get a couple of hours of sleep propped against a tree, sitting on my pack or other insulating, elevating object...a vinyl coated nylon poncho, and boonie hat for upper body, and contractor's clean up bag for my legs... that would allow me to remove shoes and socks to allow feet to dry... a mosquito net and an additional head net with a light pair of cotton gloves to protect my hands from mosquitoes and no see ums ...a long sleeved nylon shirt and fleece jacket are also included... I typically don't encounter temps below freezing in my part of the state

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana

You don't have "people" to do that for you?

Sometimes,yes, but not always. There are times when you just have to grab a shovel and start moving dirt.

Over the years, on various projects, I have used everything from road graders and backhoes to fine brushes. Even used dynamite, a quarter stick at a time, on one occasion.

Better to find a hole than dig one....
Posted by: haertig

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 05:57 PM

Do you want something for hiking/backpacking or something to carry in your car emergency kit? For the car, I have a regular heavy-duty Space Blanket folded in half, then completely duct taped up the edge for form a bivy bag. I then fold this up as tightly as possible into a small roll and wrap it with a bunch of paracord (can't remember how exactly much cord, but it's a significant length). I can always cut or peel off the duct tape "seam" to unfold the Space Blanket to use as a tarp in combination with the paracord. This wouldn't work for hiking/backpacking because it is bulky and heavy. But for a car kit - it's what I use (technically, I've never had to "use" it, but I "carry" it in the car kit for "potential use" in an emergency).
Posted by: bws48

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 06:57 PM

AMK survival Bivvy?

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Emergency-Bivvy/dp/B000WXX0JS
Posted by: Ren

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 07:57 PM

A bothy bag would be the classic piece of gear, particularly if in a group/family.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1163
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I prefer the Heatsheets 2-person blanket -- it's still small enough to fit in very small kits, but it's a lot more sturdy than the cheap mylar emergency blankets.

Recently I added a small, inexpensive tarp to my car kit (http://www.rescue-essentials.com/base-all-purpose-tarp/, no affiliation) but I haven't had time to do anything with it yet. It's small and light enough to go in a backpack fairly easily.

I have both of these in my truck. I also have a pretty cool rain poncho that also can convert into a one person tent as well... Which reminds me... I need to try that out cause I haven't actually set it up yet...
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: bws48
AMK survival Bivvy?
I also like the AMK survival bivvies.

For casual day hiking, I carry the Emergency Bivvy in the bottom of my pack. Very lightweight, compact, and only about $17. Probably only a one time use item, but it will keep the rain and wind off to enable you to get through the night.

For more serious adventures, and in my SAR pack, I carry a Escape Bivvy . It is slightly heavier and bulkier than the Emergency Bivvy, but still quite reasonable size/weight for a pack. It is breathable, costs about $50, and is sturdy enough to be used multiple times. It is orange, for high visibility, which is desirable in an emergency situation. However, they also make it in OD Green for those who want to be "Tacticool".
Posted by: boatman

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/13/14 10:03 PM

Grabber Sportsman reusable space blanket is another option.They are 5'x7' and have grommets on the corners.In hot sunny weather they can be flown silver side up.It will reflect the suns heat away as well as make a shade spot.lots of options with this item.....

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/14/14 12:22 AM

This is my go to gear for such purposes. Includes the Grabber Outdoors (Space Brand) All Weather Blanket, an air mattress and a small and very lightweight tent. I think Bacpacjac has the same tent?

Over the years, I tried just about every emergency type bivy blanket/shelter on the market but always come back this setup because it works for me. I particularly like the blanket which has grommets in it and can be strung up as a deflecting sun or rain shelter over the tent.

Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/14/14 02:58 AM

for those in hotter climates, don't overlook the utility of a simple golf umbrella
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/14/14 06:33 AM

in my PFD i have one of those survival bivvys to get into and a good,not 99 cent chepo,foil blanket.the along with the thin foil blanket i have the cord and tape to make a rain/wind break.
in the same pouch i have a head net and packs of bug off.
i assume ditching the canoe and losing the gear would be in really bad weather so those items would be a good start.
i stay away from bad water so every having to use these is very remote however i now wear or carry my PFD on some of the long nasty portages.if i fall and can't keep walking i can "camp" on the trail until someone comes along.
the PLB i'm picking up will solve the major problems.

i should note that after reading the posts here for the last few years i don't head off for a bit of walk in the Mississippi river back water areas without putting a few things in my pocket i never thought of before like a whistle,Bic,small foil blanket and one or two other things.
i always take my SAK and cell phone anyway.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/15/14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Do you want something for hiking/backpacking or something to carry in your car emergency kit?

I was thinking something versatile - mainly use in conjunction with a car, but abroad, i.e. compact enough for flights and transportation to the destination. I worked in Kazakstan couple of years ago. I decided to rent a car with my colleague and drive somewhere in the countryside outside Astana during the winter. Our local colleagues told us it was absolutely bad idea - if you break down, and Astana is officially the second coldest capital in the world, then you are in serious problem, especially because the mobile coverage outside the city is not great.
Like the idea of survival bivi bags and bothy bags. Which one in your opinion is a better option? And how to isolate yourself from cold ground? I cannot think of anything but a small inflatable swimming mattress, other things might be just too big to carry around "just in case"
Posted by: yee

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/15/14 04:36 PM

Do you want something for hiking/backpacking or something to carry in your car emergency kit?

I was thinking something versatile - mainly use in conjunction with a car, but abroad, i.e. compact enough for flights and transportation to the destination.

If you are doing this in conjunction with a car, then the car is your shelter. It is superior to anything else you can carry.

Except for unusual circumstances, you are safer using the car as shelter than walking out.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/15/14 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: yee

I was thinking something versatile - mainly use in conjunction with a car, but abroad, i.e. compact enough for flights and transportation to the destination.

If you are doing this in conjunction with a car, then the car is your shelter. It is superior to anything else you can carry.

Except for unusual circumstances, you are safer using the car as shelter than walking out.

+1; stay in the car. As for which bivvy, either the one I suggested in my previous post, or the slightly more expensive one suggested by AKSAR.

When you are in the car, you are out of the wind and wet: only only have to deal with the cold. This simplifies things greatly.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/15/14 06:08 PM

emergency bivy or bothy bag
Posted by: Deathwind

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/16/14 05:21 PM

Again, I must confess my ignorance. I'm well aqquainted with bivies, but what is a bothy bag?

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/16/14 05:35 PM

I once saw a site where they had some interesting projects for used space blankets. And in another forum I saw mention of survival suits made from space blanket material. I don't remember where they are sold however.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/16/14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
... but what is a bothy bag?

I assumed that was just a typo, and they meant "body bag". But if there is this bothy bag thing, I'm interested to hear what it is too!

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/16/14 05:51 PM

It is essentially a fabric bag large enough to hold three or so people, crowded together for sure. No floor, but some models have windows. Think of a small tent without poles.

Bothy bags are a Brit thing. Lord knows they have the weather that justifies such things.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHmfxOBB3Ug

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/16/14 06:49 PM

Consider the Gatewood Cape - dual function poncho/rain gear and shelter. I have no personal experience, but I hear good things - http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/GatewoodCape.html

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/16/14 10:18 PM

Thanks hikermore.
Having seen a bit of the video I remember seeing them before. I don't like the idea of no floor especially in wet or cold weather.
A long time ago Outdoor Life or Field & Stream reviewed a poncho, tent, coat, etc device. I tried to track them down but the company had simply vanished.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/17/14 03:28 AM

It is essentially a fabric bag large enough to hold three or so people, crowded together for sure.

I watched that video link. It looks like if you enter your "bivy bag" backwards (head first) and squat instead of lay down, you can rename it a "bothy bag". Seems like an odd thing to do. I don't get it.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/17/14 08:57 AM

Here in nordic countries it is known as "vindsäck" i e "wind bag".

A lightweight shelter for getting out of the wind when taking a break while skiing or as an emergency shelter if caught in a blizzard.

https://www.google.fi/search?q=vinds%C3%A4ck&client=firefox-a&hs=Nmq&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VgCgU5bvDvKS7Aaw04CADA&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=602

A video demonstrating the use: http://youtu.be/5p1823RjLMo
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/17/14 01:23 PM

I am a believer in ponchos, and generally carry 2 for shelter building. Use them in the winter to block wind and rain, in the summer in two layers with air movement in between to give better shade. The military surplus ones are durable but there are lighter ones out there that pack smaller. Make sure they have grommets or loops for building the shelter. I have a Sea to Summit sil-nylon poncho that works well, and a couple of Equinox ultra light ponchos. Space blankets work well but don't pack as small. I have used these types of shelters in many environments, from the sub arctic to the jungle and deserts. I have always found a way to build the shelter even without trees to tie to.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/17/14 07:36 PM

It is essentially a fabric bag large enough to hold three or so people, crowded together for sure. No floor, but some models have windows. Think of a small tent without poles.

Bothy bags are a Brit thing. Lord knows they have the weather that justifies such things.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHmfxOBB3Ug

Yeah, exactly. Though can get upto 20 person bothies. Obviously a group shelter is preferable to individual bivi bags in a group, as everyone contributes to heating a single volume.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tarps-bivis-bothies/all-bothies-bothy-bags/

http://rab.uk.com/products/equipment/shelter/

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/17/14 08:27 PM

"Bivvy"..."bothy"...."vindsäck"... In my opinion the difference is mainly semantics.

In all cases we are talking about a simple, extremely lightweight, one layer, wind and rain proof shelter. They protect you from the wind, keep you dry, and somewhat hold in body heat. North Americans most often seem to call them "bivvys" while Brits usually use the term "bothy".

There are a variety of designs. They can be made in a pattern somewhat like a sleeping bag (one or two person), or more like a big sack for two or more people (with or without a floor). Climbers often have webbing loops sewn onto the outside of theirs, to attach to anchors so they don't slide off the ledge in the middle of the night. Some have windows or air vents.

Whatever terminology you prefer, they are a handy thing to have when you don't want to carry a tent and sleeping bag, but might have to spend a night out in severe conditions.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
"Bivvy"..."bothy"...."vindsäck"... In my opinion the difference is mainly semantics.

In all cases we are talking about a simple, extremely lightweight, one layer, wind and rain proof shelter. They protect you from the wind, keep you dry, and somewhat hold in body heat. North Americans most often seem to call them "bivvys" while Brits usually use the term "bothy".

Hmm not sure about that.

A bivvy bag is a weatherproof outer for a sleeping bag.

I would expect a properly equipped climber would have both a bivvy bag to sleep in, and bothy to provide larger shelter.

Stopping for a quick brew, a bivvy isn't going to provide much protection.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Ren

I would expect a properly equipped climber would have both a bivvy bag to sleep in, and bothy to provide larger shelter.

I have carried a bivvy bag routinely on climbs and other outings for years, but I have never bothered with a bothy.. Are they a fairly recent or have the Brits been shy about revealing them to their Yankee cousins? I have heard of them only recently....

Some folks supplement a bivvy with a tarp for shelter for cooking, etc, but in my experience that is just added weight.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 12:34 PM

I have carried a bivvy bag routinely on climbs and other outings for years, but I have never bothered with a bothy.. Are they a fairly recent or have the Brits been shy about revealing them to their Yankee cousins? I have heard of them only recently....

Some folks supplement a bivvy with a tarp for shelter for cooking, etc, but in my experience that is just added weight.

They are definitely fairly old gear, certainly they seemed to be around when I was kid, ~40 years ago.

I guess they are called bothy bags, named after the cabins/huts (usually built from stone) that are called bothies dotted around the UK, particularly in Scotland. Eg http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 12:47 PM

If I had the need for a lightweight shelter, I think I would get the Hilleberg Bivanorak. http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/bivanorak/bivanorak.php

Long enough to cover legs and feet. A hood. Fully waterproof. Able to cinch shut the opening for hands and feet and therby have a protectiv sack. Weight only 1 pound 4 oz.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 02:11 PM

In my daypack I have a 2# thinsulate mummy bag and a 1#bivy as had been suggested to me. Three pounds and fairly compact. That's not much weight considering the alternative of using a space blanket alone. Add a beanie and a heat pack or two and I'm confident I'd survive anything but deep winter here. A cup of tea and a candy bar or meal before turning in would also help make the experience warmer and more comfortable. JMHO.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 03:32 PM

Light and fast hardman climbers will generally carry whatever is the absolute minimum they think they can get away with. There is an old adage in climbing that goes something like "Speed is safety. If you carry bivy gear, that just guarantees that you will need to bivouac!"

The Spaniard Kilian Jornet Bourgada just set a new record, climbing Denali and back down in less than 12 HOURS! The typical time is 17-21 DAYS.

Of course now and then that approach gets people into trouble..... frown

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Herman30
If I had the need for a lightweight shelter, I think I would get the Hilleberg Bivanorak. http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/bivanorak/bivanorak.php

Long enough to cover legs and feet. A hood. Fully waterproof. Able to cinch shut the opening for hands and feet and therby have a protectiv sack. Weight only 1 pound 4 oz.
This is almost identical (just perhaps slightly longer) with what we used to call a "cagoule".

As I said up thread, there is a more or less complete continuum from "bivanorak" (or cagoule) to bivy bag to bothy bag. I guess it just depends on if you are a lumper or a splitter. If you are a lumper then it is mostly just semantics.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 04:38 PM

I agree with AKSAR, that's a long Cagoule. But at least you aren't forced to draw your knees to your chest like in an old, shorter model. Still I prefer the light bag/bivy combo over a cagoule.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 05:11 PM

What ever happened to cagoules? Years ago, I was on the verge of buying one and just never got around to it...They do seem a rather practical point along the caganobivyboth continuum.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 05:41 PM

They went the way of disco and Rambo movies Hikermor.

I just listened to this guy, and while extremely long winded he does have valid points on carrying a tent and a sleeping bag in a BOB. And the failings of standard survival gear such as $1 ponchos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGYTBoEaaoI

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 05:56 PM

To round it up I´m just happy for time being with what I´ve got. That is; the Kifaru woobie express as the insulating layer and Snugpak poncho that goes on top as the weather proof layer. There´s enough light shelter and cover for my needs. Especially because it is possible to pull in arms and keep them against the body for warmth.

Thus equipped I´m confident that it is possible to spend a night or two sitting up against a tree, if need be.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 06:48 PM

What ever happened to cagoules? Years ago, I was on the verge of buying one and just never got around to it...They do seem a rather practical point along the caganobivyboth continuum.

http://www.rockcreek.com/patagonia/post-foamback-cagoule-mens/37278.rc

http://www.campmor.com/red-ledge-summit-cagoule.shtml
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/18/14 11:06 PM

Quote:
and while extremely long winded he does have valid points on carrying a tent and a sleeping bag in a BOB

Yeah, but a tent makes you a happy camper, rather than a tacticool hardcore high speed space shuttle door gunner survivalist operator who works out down the gym like these fellows. (training for Dual Survival screen test wink )

Even SAS have been driven insane by the west coast Scottish Midge, which is why I like one of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tatonka-Double-D...me+Mosquito+Net

or see your local Avon Cosmetics representative. Put your Bog myrtle in your Avon So Soft Body lotion not the beer!

Just throw a basha (10x12') over it and peg out for a flexible BOB shelter. You can replace the fibre poles with stronger DAC aluminium poles and save 300 grams.

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/19/14 07:04 AM

Am Fear..you have the right idea about a tent.there are small one person tents that are like that bug shelter but have a rain fly and would be a much better shelter than a tarp or make-do shelter from a poncho.
many years ago i went on canoe trips using my canoe and a tarp for a shelter.the canoe made a secure water proof roof but taking it down and putting it up in a different way at each camp site was a lot of work.a self standing tent was a few pegs and a couple poles and went up fast in bad weather anyplace.
i think folks are looking for to many clever work-arounds when it come to a basic shelter when a small tent will fit the bill.
i have a old one from the "orange camping gear era" i'll dig it out for a photo.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/19/14 12:13 PM

Consider the Gatewood Cape - dual function poncho/rain gear and shelter. I have no personal experience, but I hear good things - http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/GatewoodCape.html

That's a really cool looking thing! reminds me Russian military plasch-palatka. Perhaps slightly on a heavy side, but still it should do a good job

Originally Posted By: Herman30

This is also a great thing! Amazing!

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/19/14 04:35 PM

Lol. Very true Am Fear. Guess I'm back in nerd class, being equipped to survive, and not being cool.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/19/14 06:00 PM

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/bivanorak/bivanorak.php

This is also a great thing! Amazing!

Not sure how they can patent a cagoule that has been used by generations of climbers and criminals.

"The Aleut American Indians ( who lived in the Aleutian Islands between Alaska and Russian Siberia) needed a totally waterproof jacket for hunting in their double cockpit kayaks called Baidarkas. They used dried seal or whale intestines and sealed the seams with animal glues to make a ‘kamleika’ as illustrated.

To check effectiveness after sealing, the Aleuts would tie off the cuffs and neck and fill with water. Proof indeed that seam sealing is ancient and not modern. The picture below dates from 1910, but it is not known how long these practises continued.
- See more at: http://innovation-for-extremes.net/gear-timezone/product-biography/product-biography-the-waterproof-jacketpart-1-1820-1938/#sthash.tsdQSJwn.dpuf"

"French climber, Pierre Allain ( see our innovator bio) made a conceptual design leap in the 1930’s in clothing, but before the technologies were correctly in place. One of the great all time mountain product innovators, Allain developed a system which combined a short down sleeping bag for bivouacs with a long waterproof over-garment, for which he used the French word for ‘cowling’ ie ‘cagoule’, a long rubberised silk garment as part of his bivouac gear in the 1930s. - See more at: http://innovation-for-extremes.net/gear-timezone/product-biography/product-biography-the-waterproof-jacketpart-1-1820-1938/#sthash.ryUWPmQF.dpuf"

http://www.oregonphotos.com/SierraDesigns3.html

http://camoupedia.blogspot.com/2013/10/french-camouflage-and-criminals.html

Posted by: frediver

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/21/14 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Have they made a larger size?
How does the size you have compare to the size reviewed in the you tube video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXADw_8YNok

Granted non of the reviews mention the size of the reviewed product.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/22/14 04:20 AM

I don't know if they've made a larger size, but the one in the video looks just like the he one I have.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/22/14 05:06 PM

Ultimate Survival Technologies has two sizes of tarps.The Base Tarp and the Base Tube Tarp.The Base Tarp is about the size of a couch through blanket.The Base Tube Tube Tarp is around 10'x10' and has a zipper to open it up into a square tarp. I have seen them at MEIJER for forty dollars.

BOATMAN
John

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/23/14 03:07 PM

Here is something a bit more sophisticated, lightweight, protective, and definitely more expensive - Tarptents - http://www.tarptent.com/allproducts.html

These products are well regarded in the lightweight backpacking community. I have no direct experience and no connection, etc, etc.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/26/14 06:29 PM

I'm a big fan of "Jerven Fjellduk" (Wolvervine mountain tarp). Essentially a tarp with zippers along the edges, fold it in two and zip up to your favorite configuration (something poncho-like or a bivy bag). Slightly heavier than dedicated emergency bivy bags (such as AMK), but durable enough to be of practical use as tarp, wind breaker, everyday comfort whenever slightly chilly etc.

High quality, the basic model weighs about 650 grams. But it costs plenty of $$$... What can I say, it's a high cost contry (high average income, prices inflated accordingly).

Here's their English brochure for anyone interested:http://jerven.mediabook.no/5/

They started with the "Original", which was a huge hit about 25 years ago, and expanded with insulated models, bigger models, slimmer models, loose arms you could zip on, extension so you could build a tent out of your bivy bag, blazing colors and whatnot. All high quality.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/28/14 01:51 AM

One of the women on BushCraftUSA shared this nifty little "Staying Alive Cold Kit" set-up this winter, using a mylar blanket, some duct tape and a candle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXurGm_7cWc
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/28/14 01:20 PM

Mostly Harmless, that Jerven bag looks interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Bacpacjac, we used to do something similar with a military poncho and poncho liner and sterno, while sitting on a rucksack. You just had to leave an opening in the bottom for ventilation and keep a seal around your neck. The candle may be safer, though with less heat. You could get warm and dry very quickly with that setup. I would still be cognizant of carbon monoxide though. Keeping you face out is important. The tea light would be easy to use and to carry.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/29/14 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
One of the women on BushCraftUSA shared this nifty little "Staying Alive Cold Kit" set-up this winter, using a mylar blanket, some duct tape and a candle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXurGm_7cWc

Great idea. However, I wonder how good it will work when wind collapses it, air cushion around the body seem to be very fragile...
I found reviews of Blizzard Bag, seems to be great product though did not receive good reception here. And apparently similar product sold by LifeSystems.

Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection - 06/29/14 01:06 AM

A caving friend of mine had a compound leg fracture and stayed warm till rescue with a trash bag pulled over her with a hole for her face, and her carbide lamp inside for warmth.