Boring Bannock

Posted by: benjammin

Boring Bannock - 04/25/14 03:31 AM

I've eaten a fair share of Bannock, and sometimes, I just can't stand to take another bite.

Anyone else get appetite fatigue? If so, what does it for you?
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/25/14 06:12 AM

Poached eggs on toast with cheese. That is pretty much my go-to for any and all occasions - sickness, boredom, anxiety, you name it.

Side note: When I saw "bannock", I was wondering what you were doing eating really long batons from the Canadian game. crazy
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/25/14 11:37 AM

You just need to put some pemmican on it.

Regards,
Bill
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/25/14 12:00 PM

All ration types get old after a short while, Pemmican, Bannock (which I've never had), MRE's, C-Rats, etc. Eating then becomes another bodily function and requirement until something else becomes available like a fresh salad, purchased or pilfered eggs, Rabbit, Nutria Rat, etc.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/25/14 01:17 PM

Quote:
Bannock (which I've never had)

Bannock is just a unleavened (no yeast) flat bread made from wheat, barley, oatmeal or Rye flour etc. There are many forms from fruit Scones to potato soda breads etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatbread

Here is a recipe for Soda Bread (virtually the same as Bannock), which is easy to prepare and bake. Useful in a emergency situation of field cooking where preparing yeast and proofing leavened breads might difficult or time consuming.

http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/classic-soda-bread/

How to prepare Bannock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2BU0be8f3s

Much more tasty and healthier than the stuff found in MREs and FSRs with the plasticizer chemical Azodicarbonamide found in those Bridgford Bread Sandwiches ect and even in Subway Bread

http://www.campingsurvival.com/brretoeatflb1.html

Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/25/14 03:35 PM

I love bannock, and I like to experiment with it. I made a batch a few months ago, with maple syrup crystals in it. It was yummy sweet. Bacon is always a winner too, as are cranberries, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, actual maple syrup... then there's dipping it in the main meal....

The truth is that I don't make it as much as I'd like, and definitely not enough to get sick of it. (Unless it's deep-fried, a la "fry bread", which my digestive system hates so I never make.) I prefer it baked/roasted over a fire, which I don't get to have very often. I do get a hankering and make a batch in the oven once in a while, but it's not the same. frown

The thing that I tend to eat until bordum is raman. I love it, with tuna, jerky, hot sauce, veggies..... I could eat it every day, (I don't though - too much sodium) unless it's a day that I wake up and can't look at it.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/26/14 12:00 AM

Go to pancakes (flapjacks)....I never tire of them, especially with maple syrup, honey, or applesauce (which at least is moderately healthy).

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/26/14 07:17 AM

Amendments provide the necessary variety that would make a big difference with constant consumption. My problem is when all I have is flour and baking powder and a little oil, after the 4th meal of it I start losing interest. If I can't forage up something, It takes more hunger progressively to inspire me to eat just bread.

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/26/14 11:18 AM

I agree with those feelings. The more bored I get, the more inspired I am to find some variety. That's why cooking fresh eggs in a helmet tasted so good.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/26/14 01:52 PM

I'll bet the Donner party became bored with their cuisine as well.

"Oh no, pine bark again for breakfast! Are we out of hot sauce? What's for dinner tonight?"

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/26/14 03:48 PM

More like, whose for dinner tonight?

The people in the Alamo had an interesting way with rations: beef w/corn for breakfast; corn w/beef for lunch; & beef and/or corn for supper!

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/26/14 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Go to pancakes (flapjacks)....I never tire of them, especially with maple syrup, honey, or applesauce (which at least is moderately healthy).

It's weird, but I'm not a fan of pancakes. I like the textural differences in bannock - a crusty exterior with a fluffy interior. YUP!! Maybe I should fry my pancakes in oil.... hmmm..... I"m getting an idea for dinner! wink

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/26/14 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I agree with those feelings. The more bored I get, the more inspired I am to find some variety. That's why cooking fresh eggs in a helmet tasted so good.

HAHA!!

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/26/14 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Amendments provide the necessary variety that would make a big difference with constant consumption. My problem is when all I have is flour and baking powder and a little oil, after the 4th meal of it I start losing interest. If I can't forage up something, It takes more hunger progressively to inspire me to eat just bread.

I hear that! good reminder about all of our food stores - variety is the spice of life!

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/27/14 02:48 AM

Beef takes me a lot longer to get bored with. Watching the John Wayne version of "The Alamo", I'd have been in the line for a swag of that rib roast they were carving on, and you can be darned sure I wouldn't have dropped it on the ground like the one feller did.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/27/14 10:20 AM

I use sourdough for leavening the dough. It gives an interesting taste while you can keep the different textures. The sourdough can be kept for a long time.
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/28/14 05:46 PM

Hard tack. The original boring ration.

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/28/14 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: DesertFox
Hard tack. The original boring ration.
Hard tack. The original wheel chock.
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/28/14 07:44 PM

Sushi - I get fatigued after eating too much Sushi.

Usually after I realize I just dropped $50 on it, and I'm still not really feeling all that full.. smile
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/29/14 06:08 AM

bannock on the canoe path is a must but it's twice a year in two week stints so i never get tired of it.
what i can't eat like i did is roast beef with potato's,carrots and onions.years ago i could pack way a heaping plate now it just hits me as a plate of greasy vegetables and meat.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/29/14 05:03 PM

Cornmeal-based breads provide more interesting variations than wheat flour-based choices: corn meal mush, hot water corn bread, baked cornbread or corn cakes (cornbread recipe prepared as a pancake).

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/30/14 05:17 AM

My favorite is crispy corn dodgers. They hold up well, and they give the whiskey something to chew on besides my insides.

Re: Boring Bannock - 04/30/14 04:16 PM

Corn dodgers and whiskey - Rooster Cogburn.

Re: Boring Bannock - 05/05/14 04:05 AM

Did I happen to mention I may be a descendent of General Sterling Price? Not the cat...

I like Jeff Bridges a lot. He makes a good dude, but JW's Cogburn is far superior. He could sit a horse much better.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Boring Bannock - 05/05/14 05:46 PM

Did I happen to mention I may be a descendent of General Sterling Price? Not the cat...

I like Jeff Bridges a lot. He makes a good dude, but JW's Cogburn is far superior. He could sit a horse much better.

Boy, them's fighting words.

I couldn't finish the JW version. Holy cow, but as an actor, he just drives me nuts.

go to food: pizza! any type ...
Sick of food: stir fry. Had that way too much when I deployed (yeah, I know, tough billet), and still cant' stand it.

Re: Boring Bannock - 05/05/14 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana

I couldn't finish the JW version. Holy cow, but as an actor, he just drives me nuts.

Sick of food: stir fry. Had that way too much when I deployed (yeah, I know, tough billet), and still cant' stand it.

I agree with benjammin about JW's Cogburn. But, I will say JB did a really good job with the part, in my opinion. I will agree that John Wayne's acting was, shall we say, narrow in scope? But, he was a character that was successful because of the persona surrounding it. I thought Hepburn and Wayne were perfectly paired in "Rooster Cogburn" - Starch and Grit.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Boring Bannock - 05/06/14 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Originally Posted By: MDinana

I agree with benjammin about JW's Cogburn. But, I will say JB did a really good job with the part, in my opinion. I will agree that John Wayne's acting was, shall we say, narrow in scope? But, he was a character that was successful because of the persona surrounding it. I thought Hepburn and Wayne were perfectly paired in "Rooster Cogburn" - Starch and Grit.

agreed on the successful part - how many actors had an airport named after them?

Being type-cast back then wasn't abnormal; JW capitolized on it.