Surviving getting older

Posted by: benjammin

Surviving getting older - 04/15/14 06:31 PM

Now that I am firmly on the backside of 50, I note there are some things about life that have changed. Anyone else notice this cross-over?
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/15/14 06:57 PM

I think 45 brought some undesirable alterations. 50 wasn't even a blip on the radar.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/15/14 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Now that I am firmly on the backside of 50, I note there are some things about life that have changed. Anyone else notice this cross-over?

You mean things like my knees giving out all the time, falling asleep in front of the TV, getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, not being able to recover from strains/aches/pains as quickly, using my arms as accordions so I can focus when reading, forgetting stuff all the time.... NO, I have no idea what you mean! smile smile And I'm 54 and climbing.

Edit: I see the caption under my name is Old Hand. Gee, that was predictable! smile
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/15/14 07:56 PM

I'm quite a bit younger than these guys and trying to get in shape like them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhKOAPMm9Qk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPG94VMWPww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoY6gumdYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlJ_xDzmdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHB1qxqBsX0
Posted by: bws48

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/15/14 08:42 PM

Ah. you younger guys. Always complaining. When you get past 65 like I am, we can talk... Now back in the day when life was hard. . . grin
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/15/14 10:21 PM

Are you perhaps experiencing " the older I get, the better I was" phenomenon? Not uncommon in geezers. Perhaps you never were as good as you remember, and are just realizing it.

I have always been handicapped: goats are more sexually active (possibly because they are more attractive than I), dogs have much more sensitive noses, and orangutangs are considerably stronger. I have chosen not to complain about these injustices, but to simply enjoy life within my limited range of perception and capability, and to enjoy the long, downhill slide into senility.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/16/14 02:57 AM

Luckily I am still on the backside of 40 and still in very good physical condition overall but the years are starting to take its toll on the body. Both knees are waiting for surgery but not bad enough to really slow me down that much. I just cannot carry the heavy 40+ lb packs like I used to for days on end.

Nowadays until the knees are fixed, I am limited to lighter packs and shorter hiking trips and now find other outdoor activities that do not require as much strenuous and lengthy exercise.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/16/14 03:19 AM

I'm past 60 and I suffer from the aches, pains, CRS, & all the usual limitations. I do my best to stay in good shape and by and large I've succeeded , within the limits of back and knee problems.
My office is a shark tank of 30ish, Type A professionals, who like to tease the old guy. I keep a $100 bill in my wallet. When the age issue arises, I put it on the desk and say, " My $100 says I can do more push-ups than you, right now!" So far, no takers. So I really don't know yet whether or not my mouth wrote a check my butt can't cash?
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/16/14 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: bws48
Ah. you younger guys. Always complaining. When you get past 65 like I am, we can talk... Now back in the day when life was hard. . . grin

Ah yes, and you walked to school in the blizzards for miles and miles, uphill, both ways! smile
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/16/14 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: bws48

Ah yes, and you walked to school in the blizzards for miles and miles, uphill, both ways! smile
and don't being barefoot, too.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/16/14 10:29 AM

Mine is mixed, some good, some not so good.

Reached 60.
Overwight and carrying a big "front pack" LOL
Generally OK, but eyes not so good.

Received retirement papers
Been looking around for some jobs and found one.

Looking forward for the new job. Actually two jobs. One being full-time for a few months. The other is long term but part time. Great mix

Being excited for my new life. I expect to pay closer attention to the "trunk bag" cause I will be doing more driving and more field work than office work.

I am so happy to leave corporate politics, and closed minds that do not understand anything outside the limits of their office cubicles.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/18/14 02:06 AM

The "Grunt to Get Up". frown
-Blast, who just turned 46 and is feeling every day of it.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/18/14 03:14 AM

You are still just a young puppy!! LOL!! To think, I was 10 years old when you were born.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/18/14 04:46 AM

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/18/14 01:14 PM

Amen to mileage, Brother.

I figure I've now got a 110 years mileage on this 55 year old body.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/18/14 05:52 PM

50, 3 years as an airborne infantryman, 21 as a Special Forces Operator, 10 as government contractor. Broken neck and back, along with almost every major bone in my body, at least once (some multiple times). Other various wounds and injuries.

Now I am a Boy Scout Scoutmaster and trying to keep up with the kids. That is what makes me feel my age. This summer I will be doing the Backpacking merit badge and the 50 mile trek. Pray for me!
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/18/14 10:10 PM

life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
thoroughly used up,
totally worn out,
and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW - what a ride!"
- anon
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/19/14 06:03 PM

bsmith: Gotta love that anon. quote. I heard an analog: Plastic surgery? He'll no! I m proud of these wrinkles. I earned every one of them and each one has its own story! Not an exact quote, but close enough.
Posted by: GeoSpear

Re: Surviving getting older - 04/19/14 10:25 PM

Life is short - enjoy it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1OpQaJiPeM wink

George (unfortunately nearing terminal velocity!)