the shunned waist/fanny pack

Posted by: TeacherRO

the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 02:23 AM

OK, fashion wise the waist pack is seen mostly on tourists at Disneyland; but for a planner/prepper/outdoors person its a simple, out of the way place to carry just the right amount of gear - some even include water bottle holders or a hydration bladder.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 03:09 AM

Not sure why you think the waist/fanny pack is shunned, or not fashionable? I have a Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack with shoulder straps which I like a lot. It can carry two water bottles, and I especially like it for hiking in hot weather, since my back gets more ventilation. I also use it for short ski tours in easy terrain (when I don't need to carry a avy shovel or a lot of other gear).

Fanny or lumbar packs tend to be on the small side, so one can't carry a lot of extra clothing or gear. For that reason I mostly just use them shorter hikes in mellow weather, where I don't feel the need to carry so much stuff. Used within those parameters they work great.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 03:56 AM

Another adherent of the MS Tour pack, in a very fashionable, tasteful black (you can only imagine how important that is to me), also with the add on straps. It carries very comfortably and is great for the shorter hikes. I also have a very old (about twenty years) North Face lumbar pack - a so called "climbing model" (it features a few gear loops) which I really like when I am on my bike.

Both of these pretty much guarantee that I will have a basic essential load with me all the time. I didn't realize that they were shunned by fashionistas - that's their loss.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 05:16 AM

I have a ton of lumbar packs! These include two from True North Gear (a SERAC SAR and a Double Diamond), a Mountainsmith Tour with Strappettes, a Jansport Coltrane, a couple generic ones an fourteen (yes, 14!) Mountainsmith Vibe II's that I picked up from Woot for a project down the road.

While the "fanny pack" isn't very fashionable for urban carry it's not at all out of place on the trail or in the woods. It's actually very hard to beat a well designed lumbar pack for day hikes or hunting and fishing.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Another adherent of the MS Tour pack, in a very fashionable, tasteful black (you can only imagine how important that is to me), also with the add on straps.
I let out my inner flamboyant wild side, and got mine in red! cool
Posted by: hikermor

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 12:16 PM

Is it true that you hike 1.27 miles faster if you are wearing a red pack, compared to the conservative black?
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 12:30 PM

I would agree that for hot days and short day hikes the lumbar pack excels. We have been using Kelty Orioles for several years on our prairie hikes. Hers: blue, his: grey. Carries just enough. I do like the MS packs, and I might pick one up soon. I prefer a small backpack when I'm wearing a heavy coat though.

Looks like REI is clearing out their 2013 model year lumbar packs

http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/29354102 No affiliation

Whats next...making fun of those of us who like fruitcake?

Posted by: MDinana

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 01:49 PM

Is it true that you hike 1.27 miles faster if you are wearing a red pack, compared to the conservative black?

Yes, however black somes with more accessories and automatically adds 15 pounds to how much you can carry due to TACTICAL factors.
Posted by: haertig

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 03:34 PM

I used to wear a fanny pack day in and day out. But these days, yes, I will admit that you rarely see them in urban settings except for two circumstances: (1) tourists on vacation, and (2) elderly men with concealed guns in them.

On the trail though, I still see quite a few.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 04:11 PM

In the woods, the small fanny pack is great to keep your 10? essentials in while you are around camp or doing something that separates you from your camp gear. Also great for canoeing if you don't like a loaded life vest (here in FL the vest with pockets is very warm).

In town, not often worn.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: Denis

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 04:15 PM

I can't share the love for fanny packs. First off, I find they are too small & therefore are too restrictive of the gear & water I can bring. Second, I find them much less comfortable than a day pack; especially if wearing a belt knife.

I do find my self using one occasionally (most recently when I forgot a daypack when backpacking in; my large pack's lid converts to a fanny pack), but it is no longer my first choice for any situation.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/13/13 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
OK, fashion wise the waist pack is seen mostly on tourists at Disneyland; but for a planner/prepper/outdoors person its a simple, out of the way place to carry just the right amount of gear - some even include water bottle holders or a hydration bladder.

First we are assuming that I care about fashion. I am a preper, and I really care less about fashion, and more about function. Perhaps this will explain why I am single and have no life to the point of being a Sheriff on this site.

But in all seriousness the Fanny/Waist/Lumbar Pack is practical and functional. but remember that when you take it off, if you have to run, don't forget to grab it. Also I think that one of the larger issues with the pack is that so many companies made them of poor quality/design that they looked more the joke and fell out of favor.

Now a good Mountain Smith or LL Bean Pack that is of high quality can really even out the load and make everything much more manageable.

**Disclaimer, I have no affiliation nor interest in LL Bean or Mountain Smith, I use them as references as I have actual experience with here packs**
Posted by: LED

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/14/13 03:31 AM

Another dissenting voice here. While lumbar packs are convenient, I much prefer a photographers type vest for hiking, etc. You never have to take it off and they hold a surprising amount of gear.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/14/13 05:44 AM

One problem with the vest is that you need to keep it zipped so it doesn't flap about or get lopsided on you, if you carry more than a certain amount of weight.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/14/13 05:50 AM

I could never get fanny packs to fit me proper. Always seemed to make my belt line droop. I preferred a messenger bag or sling bag (what buddies respectfully referred to as my "Man Purse").

I keep Gladys in a fanny pack when not hung on my belt. But I sling the fanny pack on a shoulder instead of around my waist. Her fanny pack is about 15 years old now. I lined it with upholstery fabric to keep Gladys warm and cozy and safe from bangs and drops. The fanny pack has a pouch in front that will hold three full size magazines for Gladys, so it is a pretty good stow and go for me. Glenda and Gloria are holstered, although they will usually be stow and go in a range bag. Gerty is too big for a holster, so when she's not folded up in the range bag with Glenda or Gloria, she is hanging on my shoulder with a loop of 550 paracord attached single point style.

Perhaps one step removed from the fanny pack, some Maxpedition/Blackhawk belt loop packs function much like a fanny pack. Again, too much load on the belt line makes for sag, and constantly hiking the jeans back up.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/14/13 03:46 PM

Yes. However, I'm getting to the age where I need all the help I can get. In my case the speed increase from a red pack is more than offset by the slow factor of getting old. frown
Posted by: Pete

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/14/13 07:40 PM

"Is it true that you hike 1.27 miles faster if you are wearing a red pack"

definitely.
killer bees prefer red.

Pete2
Posted by: brandtb

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/14/13 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
I used to wear a fanny pack day in and day out. But these days, yes, I will admit that you rarely see them in urban settings except for two circumstances: (1) tourists on vacation, and (2) elderly men with concealed guns in them.

On the trail though, I still see quite a few.

As one of those 'elderly men with concealed guns' I can testify that nobody pays any attention to me or my fanny pack.

Which is just the way I like it.
Posted by: haertig

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/15/13 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: brandtb
As one of those 'elderly men with concealed guns' I can testify that nobody pays any attention to me or my fanny pack.

If I were a criminal, I would pay plenty of attention to you (and pick an easier target)!

But then, I like to fancy myself smarter than the average criminal. The common everyday dumb ones, yeah, they'd be clueless. Which is a bonus for armed good guys!
Posted by: Russ

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/15/13 01:09 AM

I carried in a fanny pack once, seriously didn't like it and went back to a strong side kydex holster on a good belt. I suppose it would work for some firearms, but my G-19 was not one of them.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/15/13 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
I carried in a fanny pack once, seriously didn't like it and went back to a strong side kydex holster on a good belt. I suppose it would work for some firearms, but my G-19 was not one of them.

I use fanny pack carry for summer camping, where fanny packs arouse no comment and cover garments can. Make sure to (safely!) practice your draw with whatever you use.
Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/16/13 07:56 PM

I carry in a fanny pack when on my bike. Can't use my usual holsters then, and it works just fine. No one looks twice at it.

Greg
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/17/13 03:05 AM

Don't know about the 19 but a 26 will disappear right into an older model Maxpedition M-1. It's almost like they custom made it to fit.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/17/13 09:56 AM

When I'm camping or hiking nowadays I generally carry my sidearm in a Hill People Gear Kit Bag or Runners Kit Bag. I suppose it says "GUN!" a bit more loudly than a lumbar pack but on the trails it's never garnered a second look. It's super comfortable and surprising about as fast to draw from as IWB. The regular Kit Bag has lots of room, and it carries the load very well. Without really overpacking it I can carry a full sized hangun (even an HK USP45 Tactical with a Surefire X300 Ultra!), spare mag, my Surefire E1B Backup flashlight, a notebook & pen, assorted fire gear and a pair of gloves. When I camp alone in more remote places I sometimes wear my HK P30S IWB and carry an HK USPf9 with an Inforce APL in the Kit Bag.

NOTE: No affiliation with HPG, just really like their stuff.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/18/13 06:04 PM

DS and I wear a fanny pack at scout outings, great place to keep most of the boy scout 10 essentials. We were the only two who had them on our person at a camporee where they taught a few things from the wilderness survival merit badge.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/22/13 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
When I'm camping or hiking nowadays I generally carry my sidearm in a Hill People Gear Kit Bag or Runners Kit Bag. I suppose it says "GUN!" a bit more loudly than a lumbar pack but on the trails it's never garnered a second look. It's super comfortable and surprising about as fast to draw from as IWB. The regular Kit Bag has lots of room, and it carries the load very well. Without really overpacking it I can carry a full sized hangun (even an HK USP45 Tactical with a Surefire X300 Ultra!), spare mag, my Surefire E1B Backup flashlight, a notebook & pen, assorted fire gear and a pair of gloves. When I camp alone in more remote places I sometimes wear my HK P30S IWB and carry an HK USPf9 with an Inforce APL in the Kit Bag.

NOTE: No affiliation with HPG, just really like their stuff.

I'm contemplating the purchase right now of an HPG Snubby Kit Bag. I can wear it with my ruck on my back.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/23/13 03:54 AM

I've been known to rock a fanny pack, but since I had kids and became a Scout leader, I've mostly given up and chosen to use a backpack instead. Maybe it's the overpacker in me, but it find it more convenient, in terms of carrying water, jacket/sweater, hat, mitts, sunscreen, bug spray, snacks, FAK, and all the other essentials like wallet, cell phone, etc. I've got a bad back and arthriticy hip, so I prefer a broader distribution of weight.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/23/13 05:48 AM

Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

I'm contemplating the purchase right now of an HPG Snubby Kit Bag. I can wear it with my ruck on my back.

I have two HPG packs, a Runners Kit Bag in OD Green and an Original Kit Bag in Foliage. I really love them both! The only bummer is that black isn't offered; they did a limited run of the Recon Kit Bag in black but it sold out just hours before I went to order one! mad They're really awesome packs! Very very comfortable and stable. I hardly notice it after wearing it awhile. It's actually not even all that hot. The back part is mesh and front allows some ventilation.

You don't mention whether or not you want to use if for CCW or not. I considered the Snubbie but the smallest sidearm I would ever carry is an HK P30S, and the guys at HPG said they doubt it would fit. I'm actually glad I went larger; you can carry a smaller firearm in the larger bag but not the other way around. If you truly do just plan to carry a snub revolver it would be okay. I think a Glock 19 will fit but there's not much room for an extra mag. Initially I was concerned that it would be hazardous to carry a gun with no safety in a pack without a holster but the inner compartment protects the trigger very well. Even so I carry in Condition One (ie. cocked-and-locked), and there's no way the safety will come off in the bag.

The Original is about 1.5" thicker than the Runners, and it's a bit expandable. In the Runners I can get my sidearm (either a USP or P30S) plus one mag, a small flashlight, my wallet and keys, but really no more. The Original is enough larger that in addition to all that I can also carry a notebook, pen, some fire stuff and a pair of gloves...maybe a bit more even but I don't like to overstuff it.

If you're interested here's a video from a guy I'm acquainted with doing a review of the HPG bag he carries.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/24/13 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

I have two HPG packs, a Runners Kit Bag in OD Green and an Original Kit Bag in Foliage. I really love them both! The only bummer is that black isn't offered; they did a limited run of the Recon Kit Bag in black but it sold out just hours before I went to order one! mad They're really awesome packs! Very very comfortable and stable. I hardly notice it after wearing it awhile. It's actually not even all that hot. The back part is mesh and front allows some ventilation.

You don't mention whether or not you want to use if for CCW or not. I considered the Snubbie but the smallest sidearm I would ever carry is an HK P30S, and the guys at HPG said they doubt it would fit. I'm actually glad I went larger; you can carry a smaller firearm in the larger bag but not the other way around. If you truly do just plan to carry a snub revolver it would be okay. I think a Glock 19 will fit but there's not much room for an extra mag. Initially I was concerned that it would be hazardous to carry a gun with no safety in a pack without a holster but the inner compartment protects the trigger very well. Even so I carry in Condition One (ie. cocked-and-locked), and there's no way the safety will come off in the bag.

The Original is about 1.5" thicker than the Runners, and it's a bit expandable. In the Runners I can get my sidearm (either a USP or P30S) plus one mag, a small flashlight, my wallet and keys, but really no more. The Original is enough larger that in addition to all that I can also carry a notebook, pen, some fire stuff and a pair of gloves...maybe a bit more even but I don't like to overstuff it.

If you're interested here's a video from a guy I'm acquainted with doing a review of the HPG bag he carries.

My ruck is Coyote so I'd probably just do the Runner Kit Bag in Coyote or the Ranger if they get it back in stock. I'll carry my Taurus Millennium Pro .45 in it most of the time but during events will just keep items in it to get to without having to remove my ruck and dig in it.

I'll study on the thickness difference. Might very well end up with the original Kit Bag.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 12/24/13 08:29 AM

Both are good, but I rarely use my Runners KB after getting the Original. It's got more room but if you don't stuff it it's not really bulky. And I've found that I can actually draw about as fast from the KB as I can from IWB (faster if I'm wearing a T-shirt over the gun).

They also sell pack lifters used to integrate it onto a backpack. I've never tried them but reportedly they work well. I've found the KB to work and play well with a regular backpack.

I think the Original KB is the way to go if you plan to use it as a pack without a firearm. You can fit more in it for sure. But both are good. At one point I thought I might add a Snubbie to the mix but really there's no good reason to since the larger ones are very comfortable. But if they ever do another run in Black I'll be getting one.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/06/14 01:01 AM

Both are good, but I rarely use my Runners KB after getting the Original. It's got more room but if you don't stuff it it's not really bulky. And I've found that I can actually draw about as fast from the KB as I can from IWB (faster if I'm wearing a T-shirt over the gun).

They also sell pack lifters used to integrate it onto a backpack. I've never tried them but reportedly they work well. I've found the KB to work and play well with a regular backpack.

I think the Original KB is the way to go if you plan to use it as a pack without a firearm. You can fit more in it for sure. But both are good. At one point I thought I might add a Snubbie to the mix but really there's no good reason to since the larger ones are very comfortable. But if they ever do another run in Black I'll be getting one.

Got the Original Kit Bag in coyote on Thursday. Put 8.8 miles on it today with a 38-pound ruck on. I friggin' love the thing. Best piece of gear I've bought in a while.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/06/14 07:03 AM

Awesome! I'm really in love with HPG and will probably get a pack from them eventually. The Original Kit Bag is great, and I use mine a lot. I agree, one of the best pieces of gear I have. grin

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/06/14 07:12 PM

I am concerned that both the youtube video and the website for the HPG show the shooter sweeping himself on every draw. It would be really easy for someone quick on the trigger and slow on the draw to shoot themselves.

RULE ONE - Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy! (At least my rule one)

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/06/14 09:44 PM

I don't sweep myself on the draw but I'd say 85% of all shooters I've seen do so at some point in their draw no matter how they carry. Scary!

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/07/14 03:17 PM

I don't sweep myself on the draw but I'd say 85% of all shooters I've seen do so at some point in their draw no matter how they carry. Scary!

My students don't :-).
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/07/14 07:06 PM

In all of the shooting schools and training I have done I have never learned a draw that made me sweep myself. I think some people are learning the wrong way.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/07/14 08:42 PM

Most people aren't trained.
Posted by: Russ

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/07/14 09:53 PM

When I carry I use a strong (right) side kydex holster with a G19. What are people typically doing that causes them to sweep themselves? Are we talking legs/feet or other body parts? Just curious. I did some practice draws and don't see an issue, but then I've always been big on muzzle discipline. TIA

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/08/14 06:11 AM

I see a lot of people drawing up and out, pointing the muzzle into their hip. Far worse is when people holster- very often they stuck the gun into their hip and wedge it into the holster! Not good.

At any rate, with the chest rig I unzip the pack with my left, get a firing grip on the sidearm (finger outside the trigger guard along the frame/slide of the gun) and pull back, up, and out while rotating the the gun forward (kind of like backing out of a parking space). This way you never cover yourself with the muzzle.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/08/14 04:00 PM

Phaedrus,

The problem with the chest rig is that if you do not move the left arm back parallel with and along the left side, or up high, the manouver as you describe will sweep the left arm. You may be doing it, but none of the videos or pictures are. The sweep the left arm every time. You must move the arm or lower the muzzle until the weapon is pointed forward. I think the latter is best, just like the crossdraw, because it will not sweep your companion or others to your left.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/08/14 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
When I carry I use a strong (right) side kydex holster with a G19. What are people typically doing that causes them to sweep themselves? Are we talking legs/feet or other body parts? Just curious. I did some practice draws and don't see an issue, but then I've always been big on muzzle discipline. TIA

I've seen a number of people muzzle their reaction hand from a strong-side hip holster. This can (and should!) be solved through training.

People also sometimes shoot themselves in the foot when they reholster. Again, training can solve this.

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/08/14 08:27 PM

You're not quite visualizing the draw correctly. The left elbow is held high- you're not reaching up for the zipper but down for it. With the elbow still held high you get a firing grip and pull the pistol back out and rotate forward. While it's in the KB it's at an angle, not parallel to the body but pointing downward. I wish I had a camera to record it and a way to post it.

As the gun clears the body and is extended to about 45 degrees away from the body you begin to "chase" it with your left hand. A little bit like the "natural clap" position but a bit higher.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/08/14 08:53 PM

Some folks also shoot themselves in the leg when they practice "their fast draw". I do know of one who did that!!!

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/09/14 05:32 AM

BTW, just to be clear I'm not saying the guys in the video weren't muzzling themselves. Just saying I'm pretty careful not to! Whenever I adopt a carry method I study a drawstroke and try to practice it until it's ingrained in "muscle memory." One reason for this is that, dinosaur though I may be, I cling to the cocked-and-locked style of carry. It takes a lot of training to insure I habitually snikt the safety off when I draw. Presenting a pistol but failing to take the safety off could result in an...awkward situation!

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/09/14 02:39 PM

Phaedrus,

I was not trying to say you swept yourself, just that the video's did. Since your hand must be below the pistol to open the bag, you must be careful to keep the muzzle down or move the arm up. In the video and the pictures, the elbow was down and the muzzle was level - sweep the arm.

As I said, I like your method of keeping the muzzle low as it does not sweep anyone beside you.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack - 01/09/14 08:42 PM

Yeah, it's similar to running a shoulder holster, you have be aware of where everything is. I didn't notice the other folks but I haven't seen the vids in a long time. I had remembered the one I linked as him just showing the contents, didn't remember him drawing from it. Guess it's been a long time since I watched it.