Paracord carry non-bulky

Posted by: Craig_Thompson

Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/13/13 03:48 PM

I am looking for techniques for carrying parachord. I EDC a coil of approximately 25' of parachord in my vest-with-many-pockets (wearable man-bag).

The coil is space efficient but forms a lump that prints through to the outside, making the vest look, well, lumpy. Most of the other items I EDC have been configured so they are spread out and do not form large bulges.

So I am looking for ways to carry parachord spread out, flat-ish, overall size approx 4" to 6" square to fit into a pocket. The chord needs to be easily pulled out to be used, no tedious un-braiding. Also should not be too laborious to configure in the first place.

I can think of a few concepts. One is to wrap the cord around a thin cardboard or platic sheet. This tends to introduce a twist in the chord though. If the sheet is too flexible it will bend, the coils will become loose and fall off.

Another is to chain stitch the chord then coil that in some manner.

Maybe I need to learn how to crochet. Crochet the chord into a square pad.

Do any of you clever folk know of a way to carry some chord in a non-bulky configuration?

As always any thoughts are most appreciated.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/13/13 04:08 PM

I just thought of a contraption in my head that I don't think exists... Something like a fishing spool that keeps the turns single or double file. The end result is a spool of paracord tha resembles one of those disc-shaped lollipops.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/13/13 04:09 PM

Use a simple chain stitch. Meets all your requirements.

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/13/13 05:04 PM

I like the simple chain stitch. I do not know how to hold that braid in a flat-ish configuration.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/13/13 11:30 PM

Just stuff the paracord into a bag of the appropriate size. Leave the outer end in such a way that you can grab it easily. When you pull on that end, it will emerge from the bag easily, with no tangles. I use this technique on climbing ropes that are routinely up to fifty meters long, and it works flawlessly. I understand it has been used for ropes up to 3000 feet long (at which point it is doubtless difficult to find a bag that is big enough).

Bag stuffing is easily the most civilized way to deal with cordage or rope - much less likely to tangle than coiling.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 02:57 AM

Another approach to reducing cord bulk is to use a less bulky cord. Paracord is the traditional choice, but lots of high tensile strength, small diameter cords with 200-300lb strength are on the market, 2-3mm cords from climbing stores like rei.com, or compact versions of 550 cord. 550 cord has a diameter of 4mm per wikipedia, so the 2mm cord would reduce bulk by approximately 50%. Keep the 55o cord for a backpack based kit.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 03:29 AM

If you want strength and less bulk get real kevlar cord, usually used for speargun line.

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 04:53 AM

Can you guys work in links somehow? Thanks.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 12:37 PM

Here are some on Amazon:

Kevlar line

More kevlar line

Difference in strength and color, not sure about thickness.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 01:14 PM

Or search for paracord doughnut, or paracord survival bracelet, or paracord weave. You'll get more search results with the US English spelling or cord, I haven't seen chord outside of band/music class smile
Posted by: barbakane

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 01:49 PM

Use the paracord for shoe laces....that's what I have on my boots.
Also, I use dyneema/amsteel for my hammock hangs. Lighter, MUCH higher tensile strength per foot,doesn't stretch like polyester, floats. Look it up. Don't get it at marine supply stores cuz it's much cheaper to get it online. I get mine from a cottage vendor.

http://dutchwaregear.com/

Re: Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 03:04 PM

That is funny. Did not notice that I put the "h" in. laugh

As with many things, often the simplest is the best. I am trying out the stuff-it-in-a-bag technique. Starting with a clear plastic zip closing bag. Stuffed the cord in. Put a piece of tape on the end to secure it near the bag opening. Sat on it to push out the air then sealed it hoping this would hold the cord evenly distributed in the bag.

By morning though enough air leaked in so the cord has started to slump down. Will keep working on it.

I will research these other cord alternatives as well.

Thanks folks. Keep the good info flowing!

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Just stuff the paracord into a bag of the appropriate size. Leave the outer end in such a way that you can grab it easily. When you pull on that end, it will emerge from the bag easily, with no tangles. I use this technique on climbing ropes that are routinely up to fifty meters long, and it works flawlessly. I understand it has been used for ropes up to 3000 feet long (at which point it is doubtless difficult to find a bag that is big enough).

Bag stuffing is easily the most civilized way to deal with cordage or rope - much less likely to tangle than coiling.

Interesting, this is my first time hearing about this. The only downside I see is someone tampers with your system who doesn't know the deal. If they take out the rope, mess with it, and stuff it back into the bag, I think you're screwed at that moment. This could be a catastrophic problem if the rope is 1,000 feet long or so. For a valid reason, my stress level would be high if I merely saw someone casually examining the bag.

MODIFICATION: When stuffing in the rope, have something that secures each end in place to the inside of the bag. Make it so that someone cannot just open the bag, dump out the entire rope and stuff the rope back.

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 04:52 PM

It's actually rather foolproof, but I would be upset if an untrained individual was messing around with my climbing ropes, in any way.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 05:40 PM

It's actually rather foolproof, but I would be upset if an untrained individual was messing around with my climbing ropes, in any way.

Or any climbing gear for that matter. That would be like someone rummaging through someone else 's parachute.

Good SAR groups have people in charge of checking gear in and out to reduce that sort of thing. Anyway, a coil of rope can be easily tangled too.

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 05:46 PM

That gives me hesitation when you say it's foolproof. There is only one acceptable way to remove the rope from the bag, correct? I'd prefer if you relay any negative experiences you've had or mistakes you've made.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 06:26 PM

The only time I use a climbing rope straight out of the bag is when I was the one putting it in the bag. Otherwise I will take it out and stack it on the rope tarp with one end tied to the bag(rope bags, has them attached), which a the same effect as stuffing.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 08:40 PM

Rescue throw bags for water work this way, and work well. Climbing ropes, especially the 1/2" static lines used for loooong rappels are pretty stiff and not given to bad tangles anyway.

Having the rope stacked in a bag is a great way to throw the rope down a cliff for rappel when it is windy or for helicopter use. At a lot of challenge/ropes courses they use a five gallon bucket to stack the rope in, to keep it clean, portable and free running.

For carrying in a vest pocket, pick a stiff cord, like 2mm climbing perlon or levalore blind cord for a very small diameter that doesn't tangle.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 09:37 PM

Have you considered having the cord under or as your belt?
You should be able to carry 3-4m this way

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 10:30 PM

Good request. I have experienced zero problems with this technique, either with my stuffing or with someone else stuffing it and yet another person deploying the line. I first used stuffing in a SAR context where I did not know when or who had last packaged the rope.

I have since adopted a rope bag for all of my personal ropes. In a two recent trips, I deployed three separate ropes from their bags on three occasions for rappels with flawless performance.

I have thrown ropes with a bag to set up a rappel and found it works flawlessly, wind or not, with much better control over rope placement. I have even rappeled with the bag clipped low on my harness, feeding it out as I descended, which probably shows ultimate confidence. I did have the far end tied in a very fat knot.

I put conditional language in my previous post because I think that someone, somehow, (ingenious creatures that we are) could undeploy (ploy?) the rope in such a manner as to f-mess up the system somehow, but I have never witnessed such an event. I have had all sorts of problems with coiled ropes, static or otherwise.

And yes, I agree it is too simple and easy to be true - but the technique gives every indication of working right - every time. YMMV. I keep thinking of the passages in Moby Dick where Melville describes the patient coiling of the harpoon line in tubs - if only they had a rope bag!

Need I mention that a rope bag is easily the most civilized way to keep ropes properly - other techniques are positively barbaric!
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Have you considered having the cord ... as your belt?
But then if I needed to use the cord my pants would fall down. That would certainly not be civilized. In fact it might border on barbaric!
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/14/13 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Have you considered having the cord ... as your belt?
But then if I needed to use the cord my pants would fall down. That would certainly not be civilized. In fact it might border on barbaric!

and if you needed to lower your pants in a hurry....<shudder> that too would be barbaric.

thanks for the rope bag trick. i just uncoiled two sections of paracord and stuffed a bag. beautiful!

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/15/13 12:10 AM

After writing my previous post, I went out to run a rope that I had used last week through the rope washer. I had stuffed it quickly after use, and the bag had been thrown in the back of a truck and been handled numerous times in about a seventy mile journey back home. It came out of the bag and went through the washer flawlessly, as it has always done in the past.

It may be worth mentioning that a rope bag, in this context, is a cylinder, open at one end, so that the rope goes into and emerges from, a fairly constricted opening - no side zips!
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/16/13 06:58 PM

Craig, if you're willing to try cordage that is not 550 cord here is an option I ran across today.

Gearward Technora cord is stronger than 550 but more compact. It comes on an innovative little spool that would make for easy carry. I don't know how well (or even if) the ends can be melted after cutting. And its certainly not dirt cheap.

No affiliation, just saw it a few minutes ago online and thought of this thread.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/17/13 05:38 PM

Glock-A-Roo
That is interesting cord and carry system but did you see that lighter....

BOATMAN
John

Re: Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/18/13 01:58 AM

Since the stuffed paracord slumped to the bottom of the bag I tried spreading it out evenly in the bag then carefully removing the entire bundle of cord in tact and placing it between two sheets of plastic freezer wrap that is slightly sticky (mostly sticky to itself though). Then slid that into the plastic zip close bag. I sat on the bag to press out as much air as possible then zip sealed it.

It stays in place a bit better but still slumped a little. Probably useable for my needs.

However, Glock-A-Roo, I do like that survival cord and carry system. I am not familiar with Technora, but if it is a derivative of Kevlar it probably will not melt.

And that lighter is quite awesome too!

Great input folks. Keep it coming...

Craig T.

Re: Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/18/13 03:17 AM

[DELETED]
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/18/13 01:17 PM

I stumbled across a web site documenting how to make a paracord rifle sling but it was a different weave pattern so it was basically multiple thin slings weaved side by side so you could undo one but still have the other to carry your rifle. Same concept should work for a belt as well. I just haven't been able to find that pattern again. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about and has the instruction please post them.

I have weaved a bit around all my backpack carry handles as well as the organizer pouches I carry in or on them. Basically just look for any place you can weave it around.
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/18/13 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Craig, if you're willing to try cordage that is not 550 cord here is an option I ran across today.

Gearward Technora cord is stronger than 550 but more compact. It comes on an innovative little spool that would make for easy carry. I don't know how well (or even if) the ends can be melted after cutting. And its certainly not dirt cheap.

No affiliation, just saw it a few minutes ago online and thought of this thread.

That lighter... I wants it... smile
Posted by: DavidEnoch

Re: Parachord carry non-bulky - 11/18/13 09:00 PM

You might like this way to carry cord:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RF4xEohFIQ
David Enoch

Re: Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/18/13 09:14 PM

Lawson Equipment also has high strength dyneema cord http://lawsonequipment.com/. As delivered, it is in a fairly compact bundle.

I also tried stuffing paracord into a small ziploc baggie. The small bag keeps things flat, and the cord can be pulled out easily.
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: Paracord carry non-bulky - 11/18/13 10:41 PM

How about vacuum sealing it in a Foodsaver bag? You could tape the outgoing end to the inside of the bag near the top so you wouldn't have to fish for it. The bags are somewhat stiff and when vacuum sealed they should be a little stiffer even.