New item: Fleece for everyone!

Posted by: TeacherRO

New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 03:35 AM

Another useful item I'm adding to preps/ kits; an oversized fleece jacket for everyone.

Useful, cheap warmth. Can be layered and is light (though bulky)
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 04:01 AM

I have been scrounging polyester fleece hoodies from my local charity stores, sterilizing them, and stuffing them under the car seats. Handy (and disposable) when changing a tire; and without hesitation I can hand them to anyone who needs one, including a complete stranger who's in a bind.

The nice thing about polyester fleece is that you can soak it in a bleach solution strong enough to dissolve metal (i.e., kills everything) and the fleece won't mind a bit.

Wonder if the standard fleece throw, available for a couple of bucks, would work as a blanket coat? Don't know if the dimensions are right.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 04:51 AM

I'm a big fan of fleece! I bet I have a dozen fleece jackets, at the very least. It has to be under 20 F or so before I ditch my fleecie in favor of a proper winter coat.
Posted by: Lono

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 06:12 AM

I wear one of several Eddie Bauer fleece pull overs almost every day from October to June in the PNW. I lost a 7 year old fleece (my green one, sob) on a flight back from Turkey and felt like I'd lost an old friend.

Work surplussed some heavy duty fleece zip ups, I snagged 4 and keep them in the trunk of my car for folks who come out of a fire with nothing to keep them warm. I think I still have 2.

Recommend windproof fleece for preparedness kits, its a darn sight warmer if the cold wind doesn't cut through, but anything is better than nothing.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 01:30 PM

I've got a fleece North Face jacket that's been with me for about 11 years (that an ex-gf gave me, don't tell wifey!) Starting to wear thin, but doing well.

One thing I hate about fleece is that wind cuts right through it. When I finally get around to replacing it, I'll get a windproof one.

I've also got 2 fleece vests (great for camping/layering) and a few uniform fleeces that can work in a pinch. It's ridiculously cheap (what, like $10 at Old Navy?) and does pretty well, especially in damp weather. Not the greatest material on the planet, but a good cheap/warm solution.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 02:20 PM

They're pricey, but I really like my Under Armour Storm gear. Super comfy, super warm, waterproof and cuts the wind better than any fleece I've owned.
Posted by: Russ

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 03:13 PM

My go-to jacket for the cold months in SOCAL (it can reach into the 20's before the sun rises) is a wind-proof fleece jacket I got from Cabela's (their logo). It's a nice jacket and has held up well.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 11:12 PM

Fleece is a staple in my outdoor gear and has been for decades. Tough, durable, warm even when wet, relatively lightweight (albeit bulky), what is there not to like about it. I almost always slip a windproof shell over the fleece when it gets breezy. I prefer that approach to the "windproof" varieties.

Be aware that fleece comes in a variety of weights and grades, and not all of it is sewn all that well. Like a lot of other things, bargains are available if you shop carefully - something you won;t have to do all that often. I have one jacket that is more than thirty years old, and several that are going beyond their second decade.

All in all, fleece is a very fine example of the many benefits of civilization.....
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 11:24 PM

Agree with all, fleece is great, light, dries quickly, and I always have a layer or two around.

The only thing that's been a gotcha for me is when I'm hanging around the campfire. I have a few fleece hoodies that have extra... ah... ventilation holes in them that the manufacturer never intended.

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 11:33 PM

True, that one of the drawbacks of fleece. But then, campfires are so uncivilized - I really don't do them much any more, except in emergencies.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/13/13 11:55 PM

There are many brands that have windproof fleece and soft shell jackets, and the prices are much lower than they used to be. i have picked up soft shells for $20. I too keep at least one jacket for every person traveling with me that didn't have one of their own. Along with blankets and such.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/14/13 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Wonder if the standard fleece throw, available for a couple of bucks, would work as a blanket coat? Don't know if the dimensions are right.

I got a couple, cut slits in the center, and carried to use as emergency shelter/field expedient poncho liner. Worked okay, tho the cheapies I selected were a bit flimsy. I had hoped that the throw, worn serape/poncho style, would make me look like clint eastwood in the spaghetti westerns. Not so much. Was encouraged by DW and DD's to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/14/13 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
I had hoped that the throw, worn serape/poncho style, would make me look like clint eastwood in the spaghetti westerns. Not so much. Was encouraged by DW and DD's to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.
So tell us...did they think you looked good, bad, or just ugly?

But for a fist full of dollars, you could get a real fleece jacket.

And you could cover it with a windproof layer for a few dollars more!

smile

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/14/13 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
I had hoped that the throw, worn serape/poncho style, would make me look like clint eastwood in the spaghetti westerns. Not so much. Was encouraged by DW and DD's to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.

smile

I see what you did there.

laugh
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/15/13 04:15 AM

Once the Fashion Police open a dossier, it tends toward the Ugly.

Maybe it's all in the presentation. Did you smoke a cheroot and squint a lot?
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/15/13 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR

smile

You owe me a keyboard: this one is full of Mountain Dew. ;-)
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/15/13 10:23 AM

MDinana wrote
> "One thing I hate about fleece is that wind cuts right through it"

I think of that as an advantage. Even on sunny days one can wear a fleece usually. Then add a windproof layer for bad weather.
Cheap fleeces are good but the zips are what goes first.
qjs

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/15/13 12:55 PM

Cheap fleeces are good but the zips are what goes first.
qjs [/quote]

I was an early fleece user, buying my first (a Patagonia jacker0 in 1982. After about fifteen years fairly heavy use, the zipper busted. Thinking it would be worthwhile to spend some money to replace the zip, I took it back to Patagonia.

"The unconditional warranty is still in effect. We will replace the zipper at no cost. Can you wait about a week?" Sweet music to my ears!

I still have that jacket,although now it is truly worn out - the elbows are thin, so I mostly wear it around the house, gardening and such. It has served me well on numerous occasions, including some where warm, tough clothing was critical.

Good stuff from a reputable company may cost a lot up front, but ultimately it is a bargain.

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/15/13 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Good stuff from a reputable company may cost a lot up front, but ultimately it is a bargain.
Very true. I have had similar experiences with gear from various manufacturers.

That being said, it is possible to get some real bargains (on good stuff) at thrift stores and garage sales. My wife found a very nice down jacket, nearly new and from a good manufacturer at a thrift store. I forget what she paid for it but it was peanuts compared to the original price. She once found a nice, three season down sleeping bag at a garage sale for a very few bucks.

I suppose it helps if you do your thrift store and garage sale shopping in an area where lots of people own outdoor gear. And the gear you find probably depends somewhat on the region. I would guess one wouldn't find too many down jackets at Florida thrift stores? But Florida might be a great place to look for used diving gear?

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/16/13 03:01 PM

If you are really lucky, you can do both of the above. Some years ago (late 1980s) Patagonia suffered from massive overstocking and had a fantastic sale. I am wearing as I type this, a top of the line fleece jacket that cost me all of fifteen dollars, brand new (and it is the proper color, fire engine red).

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/16/13 03:47 PM

Of course then again there are some manufacturers who will fleece you of your dollars! smile

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/16/13 05:18 PM

How dreadfully uncivilized, indeed even barbaric!!
Posted by: ILBob

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/18/13 11:02 PM

Menards (a midwest lumber yard chain) usually has polyester fleece blankets for $2-4 on sale on Black Friday. Might make for some good material for making whatever you want.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/19/13 04:27 PM

If you don't like extra vents in your fleece then you can always get DragonFleece (a Nomex fleece) http://www.benmeadows.com/true-north-exxtreme-nomex-fleece_36809811/ for a fistfull of dollars more.

By the way, it is great stuff if you can get someone else to buy it.

The cheap ones are great for give aways. I like the idea of buying at the thrift store. Even here in Florida we get people with hypothermia every winter. Especially after auto accidents when they stand around in the rain. EMT's have to drag them in to keep them from having problems.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/20/13 05:47 PM

Be Careful, I have seen some of the cheap Fleece actually is 50% Synthetic (i.e. Fleece) and 50% Cotton. Always check the label before you buy a new cheap fleece jacket. Also if a good spark resident shell layer will protect your fleece from spark damage when you are nearby a fire.

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/20/13 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
If you don't like extra vents in your fleece then you can always get DragonFleece (a Nomex fleece) http://www.benmeadows.com/true-north-exxtreme-nomex-fleece_36809811/ for a fistfull of dollars more.

By the way, it is great stuff if you can get someone else to buy it.

The cheap ones are great for give aways. I like the idea of buying at the thrift store. Even here in Florida we get people with hypothermia every winter. Especially after auto accidents when they stand around in the rain. EMT's have to drag them in to keep them from having problems.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Holy crap. I love nomex as much as the next firefighter obsessed little boy, but wow. I could buy a set of wildland nomex for that price!

QJS, I still don't like windy conditions in fleece. I get what you're saying, but I'd rather not have a layer that loses stored heat whenever I walk quickly. As a middle layer, great. The windproof as an outer layer, fine. But regular 100 or 200 weight as an outer layer? Only in calm weather.

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/20/13 07:40 PM

I get my nomex from Massif. It's spendy but good gear. I wear their nomex fleece as a routine on the flight line.

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/25/13 06:00 PM

I tend toward xl sizing - will fit most people in an emergency. Bright colors and hoods...
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/25/13 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I tend toward xl sizing - will fit most people in an emergency. Bright colors and hoods...

The more it covers the better, and it never hurts to be more visible.
Posted by: Alex

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 11/25/13 08:03 PM

My favorite fleece piece is the full head and neck balaclava. As I can convert it into a cozy beanie hat or scarf to regulate the body 's heat dissipation in a quite wide range of weather conditions.

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 12/13/13 02:18 AM

I also like fleece scarves in bright colors...really bright colors.

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 01/04/14 08:56 PM

Gonna be a great weekend for fleece.

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 01/06/14 06:09 PM

Be Careful, Make Sure your Fleece is 100% Synthetic. Not watching my labels once many years ago I bought a "Fleece" that was actually 50% cotton. Technically it is still legal to call it fleece, but its junk and the inside label was well hidden. While it had a BIG Fleece Card attached to its Outside.

This did not go well the first time I got to the woods with my new Fleece Sweater and the humidity went up. Suddenly my nice sweater was very cold and damp. I now check the labels very very closely before I but any "FLEECE".
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 01/06/14 07:00 PM

BruceZed,

Fleece is a type of fabric and can be made out of any material. My favorite was the old Helly Hansen wool fleece, I understand made for the Norwegian military. The synthetic stuff I have used always has reduced insulating ability when it gets dirty. Same with the synthetic moisture transfer long johns. I am still partial to wool.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 01/06/14 07:15 PM

Agree. I wear fleece a lot in the morning this time of year, but I'm layering it over wool crew neck shirts, either long or short sleeve. I recently found Icebreaker sleeveless wool shirts which are great as a base layer -- less on the arms, more on the core. I found them at Sierra Trading Post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/redram-...p-sleeveless...

Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! - 01/09/14 10:46 PM

You are correct. What I was referring to and I assumed this thread was talking about was "Polar Fleece" or modern synthetic fleece. Which is normally shortened to simply fleece these days. Other forms of fleece are now very rare.

"Polar fleece, usually referred to simply as "fleece," is a soft napped insulating synthetic fabric made from Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or other synthetic fibers. Other names for this fabric are "Polar Wool," "Vega Wool," or "Velo Wool." Despite names suggesting the composition is made up of organic materials, Fleece is 100% Polyethylene Terephthalate." - Source Wikipedia (Polor Fleece Article)

My point was no warn people about mixed fleece fabrics (synthetic/cotton blends) which a dangerous in cold weather. Wool Fleece would be an excellent layer against the cold.