Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing?

Posted by: nursemike

Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/07/13 01:46 PM

Woman stabs bear on NP trail

Adirondack women are intelligent, intrepid and assertive.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/07/13 05:38 PM

I think that woman bears watching. Pesonally, I can barely contemplate fighting off a bruin with only a knife. The thought of what could happen is just unbearable!
smile
Posted by: Russ

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/07/13 06:00 PM

Hmmm, curious youngsters? Serious nerve to go on the offensive against three bears.

Benchmade 710 would be my most likely EDC folder, but in this case attitude probably played a bigger role that the sharp she used.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/07/13 07:14 PM

Well, if a dull blade on a Chinese knockoff Leatherman was good enough for A.R., it should be good enough for a bear, right?

Man I'd give my left arm for a sequel to that movie...
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/07/13 07:54 PM

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Three-bears-and-one-tough-hiker-4847473.php

It was a "three inch folding knife", she held it like a push dagger, the bear had charged her, and she stabbed it in the jaw. I couldn't find any other details
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/07/13 10:41 PM

Mental note - find out where this young lady lives and don't go there and mess with her. Second note - ask the local Green Beanies if they are looking for a supremo bad azz.

We don't need no bear bells, pepper spray or bahdges, we gots Amy.

And for my choice of knife, a folding bayonet at the end of a 12 gauge with the optional grenade launcher/flame thrower combo. I don't even like snakes.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/07/13 10:57 PM

I guess if a bear charged me and I was already in its grasp, I'd fight back with whatever I had (after playing dead and finding out that didn't work).

But my knife of preference for bear jousting would be about 40 feet long with an explosive tip.
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/08/13 01:10 AM

I believe you only play dead if you're attacked by a grizzly bear. A black bear takes motionlessness as " it's dead, I can eat" Agree on the jousting knife though. Or a boom stick.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/08/13 06:11 AM

I guess this settles the Great Debate About Bear Defense -- a cheap 3" knife works better than any gun.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/08/13 06:19 AM

dang ... another bear-stabbin' female from the Adirondacks. i just had three bears call my phone and ask for the name of a good attorney.

Pete2
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/08/13 04:18 PM

The question is, did Goldilocks stab the Mama bear, the Papa bear, or the Baby bear?

Apparently her knife was just right.

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/09/13 12:31 AM

Sounds like Misunderstood Bear:

Posted by: Lee123

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/09/13 07:44 PM

well not a pocket knife but you know how KaBar knives were named.

"Our name dates back to the early 1900's from a fur trapper testimonial. He wrote that while trapping, his gun jammed leaving him with only his knife to kill a wounded bear that was attacking him. He thanked us for making the quality knife that helped him to kill a bear, but all that was legible was "K a bar". Honored by the testimonial, the company adopted the phrase KA-BAR as their trademark."
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/10/13 06:09 AM

Chances are bear-spray would have worked just as well or better.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/10/13 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Mental note - find out where this young lady lives and don't go there and mess with her. Second ask the local Green Beanies if they are looking for a supremo bad azz.

We don't need no bear bells, pepper spray or bahdges, we gots Amy.

And for my choice of knife, a folding bayonet at the end of a 12 gauge with the optional grenade launcher/flame thrower combo. I don't even like snakes.

Are they raising men or mice in the America's these days? She sounds like the sort of woman that any self respecting Man should go Wiving for.

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/11/13 04:34 PM

I can't believe you guys aren't helping out more with the Misunderstood Bear meme...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Best pocket knife for bear-stabbing? - 11/12/13 04:27 PM

Knife? Pfft.

Grab the bear's tongue with your Leatherman. Or your hand. crazy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunsw...falls-1.2021414