Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit

Posted by: Tjin

Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/15/13 05:23 PM

I'm looking for a new way to store and carry my large first aid kit. I managed to cut myself in my thumb and messing with my first aid kit, I wasn't totally happy with what I had.

Currently I have a clipbox with a tray inside. I put the small and regularly used stuff on top in the tray, under need are the larger things. I had to dig for the gauze, because it was under the things needed for larger injury's. I choose the clipbox because it's light weight, rainproof, inexpensive, can be organised and the clips are far easier to open than zippers. Currently thinking of just getting a larger clipbox and add dividers/trays.

But I would like more input on what to get. Anybody know a different system which can be easily be moved, organized, easily accessible with one hand and is rainproof?
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/15/13 06:29 PM

soft or hard case?
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/15/13 06:56 PM

something like a soft roll... USNERDOC AMP 3 "Outfitter" kit, reviewed by beast 12101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcYeRikYEoo
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/15/13 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
soft or hard case?

Doesn't matter to me. As long as you can access everything easily. Too many zippers or small pockets are the things that worries me, I like to be able to easily get things out when I'm having to give first aid to my self.

As for the softroll, they look a bit too small for my large FAK, but i'll need to take a good look at it.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/15/13 11:21 PM

The AMP 3 kit is very similar to the bag that I carried for years. Mine was a clamshell that unzipped and spread flat so that the contents were visible. Rather than pockets, it used elastic loops to hold items, thus enhancing their visibility. I eventually sewed up my own version which is still in use as my vehicle kit. Definitely stay away from pockets; they conceal to much and someone else might be delving in your bag for a desperately needed item (in the rain, in the dark).

I eventually added a small, free floating bag which contained the items I would need right away (BP cuff, stethoscope, gauze). It simply floated loose in the interior of the bag. I kept carabiners handy so that it could hang, if needed.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/16/13 01:58 AM

I've assembled a first aid kit for my dog and use an LL Bean "personal" sized cooler to hold everything.

Works great, has a nice carry handle, pockets on the sides and front and a handy shoulder strap. REI's personal cooler is a bit taller and would work well, too.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63702?feat=cooler-SR0&page=softpack-cooler-personal

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/16/13 05:29 AM

Personally, I like the idea of using the zippered bags that curtains come packaged in. I put five "quick kits" inside that have items generally needed for situations such as yours. The quick kits are in quart-sized zip-locks and are designed to be just pulled out and tossed to a person who needs one or who is helping. I also have other items in there besides the quick kits. I know the zippered bag isn't exactly the most robust carrier, but in a backpack or car-based case it should be fine.

My $.02
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/16/13 08:15 AM

Personally I like the Maxpedition F.I.G.H.T. bag. Lots of room for a pretty compact kit.

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/16/13 01:37 PM

I use a duffel bag, which obviously isn't waterproof. However, there are plenty of fishing tray options out there that could help you organize things. The duffel I have has an outer pocket on either end, 2 on the sides, and a main bag/pouch.

Many, many options out there. I suggest you peruse Galls.com, North American Rescue, Dyna-Med ... Depending on the size of your kit and budget, you can usually find a great bag or hard case to help organize. At the very least, see what you don't like and find features you do.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/16/13 07:36 PM

Yeah, if you want a larger EMT-type bag Galls has a terrific assortment.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/16/13 11:25 PM

I have heard of a person using a five gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal lid.In side of it he used bucket tray organizers for different needs.These can be found at Home Depot(no afiliation)and are water proof.Their kit was designed for a bug out or camping scenario.

BOATMAN
John

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/18/13 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: boatman
I have heard of a person using a five gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal lid.In side of it he used bucket tray organizers for different needs.These can be found at Home Depot(no afiliation)and are water proof.Their kit was designed for a bug out or camping scenario.

BOATMAN
John

While waterproof, that just sounds messy. I can imagine having the "gauze" level pulled out, then you have to dig for the "tape" leve and the wind blows the gauze around (or someone kicks it as they're running around freaking out), then you have to move everything up and out for the C-collar or blanket at the bottom of the kit ...

In a dynamic scene, keeping things organized while secure is a much better plan (IMO). Something like the bucket would be good if you have time/space and a relatively controlled environment.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/18/13 03:57 PM

I like to use ziploc bags to keep things organized. The ziploc bag doesn't need to contain only one item type. I have one that has 10 4x4's because that kit has lots of 4x4's, but another ziploc has a couple 4x4's, a 5x9, gloves and a triangle bandage. The ziploc can be organized as needed, mix and match. It's nice if a FA bag has the organization built in, but even with those bags a separate ziploc might be nice to carry items to clean up and glove up before getting into the rest of the FAK.
YMMV
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/18/13 05:09 PM

Coastal Alaska can be a very damp place, so I have made up a couple of first aid kits for use in wet conditions. The most recent one is in a clear plastic roll top dry bag. Most of the items inside are vacuum sealed in individual packets. For example I took 4X4 gauze pads in groups of 2 and vacuum sealed them. A few items like groups of band aids are in small zip lock bags for quick access. The clear roll top dry bag is a smallish one, readily available at places which sell sea kayak gear.

The advantage of this system is that the whole kit is protected in the dry bag. Even if my kayak gets swamped the kit stays dry. In the clear plastic roll top bag I can see the contents inside, which makes it easier to select what I want when I open it. Because the contents are individually sealed, I can open the kit even in a howling rain storm, take out what I need, and the rest of the contents are protected from moisture.

This system has worked well for me.

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/18/13 05:21 PM

Would that be similar to the 10 Liter SealLine Eco-See Dry Bag? SealLine makes them bigger and smaller.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/18/13 05:44 PM

Yes, I think that is the same one I used.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/18/13 06:49 PM

Depending on your needs you might look at the Medic bags and Packs from London Bridge Trading Company (http://lbtinc)(no affiliation). I used one of their training coverage bags for quite a while (it is now being used by an MD for International Rescue work). Pricy, but of super quality. Not waterproof (although I think they made one that way at one time) but very rain resistant. Lots of loops and mesh pockets for your quick necessities. Larger pockets for removable "purpose" bags like an airway kit.

There are also others who make similar items like Tactical Tailor, but I have not worked with them myself.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/19/13 08:24 PM

Ever think of using a 3 fold medic bag like the military does? One large main compartment, two smaller ones. All three are dual zipper closed. Not waterproof. Fairly inexpensive. Common in surplus stores. Get the nylon one, not the older cotton/canvas ones.

I use one for my main house kit. Easy to hang, quick to open. YMMV.

Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit - 10/24/13 02:48 PM

After taking the NOLS/WMI Wilderness First Aid course I started looking at the NOLS Med Kits. One of the "kits" is an empty bag -- NOLS-Med-Kit-Bag -- which by way of a side-by-side comparison I found to be identical to the AMK Weekender in dimensions and layout. The only difference I can see is that the NOLS Med Kit is red instead of blue.

IMO this is a very useful size bag for small groups. It may not be as big as the single kit that Jeanette links to in her Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit Thread, but it may be more convenient for smaller groups or individuals who want to tailor their kit(s).