Peanut Butter

Posted by: Aussie

Peanut Butter - 10/04/13 05:01 AM

Peanut Butter

On a recent trip we decided to have some biscuits and peanut butter for lunch; but taking peanut butter can be a bulky if you take a jar, messy if you decant it into something else, and potentially very messy if it leaks !

A while back I bought a small vacuum seal machine, so I :
cut some bags into triangular shapes,
folded down the tops (to keep the top of the bags clean so they can be sealed),,
filled them with peanut butter, then
vacuum sealed them shut.

To eat, I cut open the end and squeezed the peanut butter out. Easy to carry, no mess !

Posted by: leemann

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/04/13 06:36 AM

I love creamy peanut butter....
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/04/13 08:16 AM

Nice! I have some bags that are 1.5" by 10", and they'd be perfect for peanut butter...if I could figure out how to get it into the bags. Maybe I need to pick up a pastry bag.
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/04/13 12:56 PM

I have bought several products from this site- usual disclaimers, no workee, no payee

http://www.minimus.biz/Carriage-House-Creamy-Peanut-Butter-Cup-F06-0142101-0100.aspx

This one is pretty much just peanuts- kosher, gluten free, etc

http://www.minimus.biz/Justins-Natural-Classic-Peanut-Butter-F06-0158504-1200.aspx

AND, just found when researching for this peanut butter thread, they now have Bridgeford sandwitches... hmm, not a huge fan of them honestly, but they do last awhile in a car...

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/04/13 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Nice! I have some bags that are 1.5" by 10", and they'd be perfect for peanut butter...if I could figure out how to get it into the bags. Maybe I need to pick up a pastry bag.

I folded the top (wide end) of the bag inside-out - about an 3 cm (one inch). Then I used a regular kitchen knife to "smear" the PB into the bag. A bit of jiggling it and squeezing (squeezing it down like toothpaste) pushed it down to the pointey end. Then unfold the top and seal.

It was quite easy once I got going.

- You can buy pre-packaged packets of everything, but :
doing it yourself, controlling the quantity and
quality is well worth it, especially if you already have the machine.

My machine was just a cheapie from a discount supermarket - nothing special.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/04/13 01:13 PM

Whatever happened to the refillable plastic tubes that opened at the bottom and closed with a removable clip? They used to be fairly common, but, for that matter, so were bell bottom trousers. They worked fine with PB, not so well with honey.

Actually, these bags are lighter and more compact, although just single use. Looks like a vacuum sealing machine has some nifty applications.

Caution: If you do know what I am talking about, you are certified officially as a Geezer,Level I. There ought to be a T-shirt.
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/04/13 03:51 PM

Hikermor, Those tubes are made still by Coghlans.
http://www.coghlans.com/products/squeeze-tubes-7605a
S.D.

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/05/13 01:21 AM

Aussie, what sort of crackers or bread are you using in the pictures?
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/05/13 02:21 AM

Neat idea... reminds me of astronaut food.

...when we usta have astronauts...
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/05/13 01:21 PM

Great idea Aussie. A good way to get the type of peanut butter you prefer into your pack.

Although there are a lot of little peanut butter packs out there, some are grossly overpriced, and most contain hydrogenated oils.

I can't hang with the toxic plastic-like hydrogenated oils many food processors dump in. I realize it is a cheap additive for them to maximize profits, and it helps the cardiologists pay for the high cost of their education, but I'm going with natural peanut butter.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/05/13 02:53 PM

When camping we've just used ziploc freezer bags and clipped one non-zip corners out. Works for all sorts of squishy stuff. Great for hot dog relish too.

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/05/13 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: JPickett
Aussie, what sort of crackers or bread are you using in the pictures?

They were Walkers "Oat Oatcakes". A nice cracker with a very high oat content. Oats have lots of good carbohydrated which help fill you up and supply long lasting energy, plus they taste great !

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Great idea Aussie. A good way to get the type of peanut butter you prefer into your pack.

........, but I'm going with natural peanut butter.

I'm with you 100%. We have a few local shops who grind the peanuts for you in front of your eyes. 100% peanuts and as smooth or crunchy as you want. Yum.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/06/13 04:23 AM

clever idea..
for canoe trips where the lunch switches back and forth from peanut butter or cheese on a MRE or heavy duty flat bread i like to use the plastic tubes.the screw top lets me use the tube over and over until used up without spilling anything.

packing for the trip i heat the peanut butter jar in hot water until it pours and then it goes into the tubes without a mess.
the tubes still in the glass i have them standing in go's in the frig to set up,that way i can fold the top and put in that rod to make the seal without the butter making it's way out.a bit of tape as a "just in case" finishes things up.
i do the same with jam,dry things like sugar and dry milk also go into tubes.washed out after the trip they are ready to go again.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/06/13 01:25 PM

Canoe. I can't make out the ceramic figure in the background of your picture. It looks like a ceramic container of a girl with a plush bear.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/06/13 06:03 PM

I think that's a cookie jar. I remember my mother had a cookie jar like that.

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/06/13 06:49 PM

That was my thought too but it looks small, at least in the picture. From the grey hands and feet, the girl looks to be a cat.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/07/13 12:19 AM

the Mouse Lady is an important part of our winter survival gear!!
as in " do you want tea bags from the mouse lady or the house?"

Re: Peanut Butter - 10/07/13 12:47 AM

It reminds me of the Melinda Mouse cookie jar made by House of Lloyd, circa 1990.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/06/14 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

the Mouse Lady is an important part of our winter survival gear!!
as in " do you want tea bags from the mouse lady or the house?"

Why does the following image no longer appear in your post?

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/07/14 05:22 AM

i thought no one would ever look at that post again so when i cleaned up Photo Bucket that was one that got deleted.

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/07/14 02:38 PM

Anyone can still see it when they do a search on Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fleda+cl...39%3B1024%3B768

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/08/14 05:42 AM

well thats good,i guess anything that gos on the web is saved by Google,whether you want them too or not....

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/08/14 01:50 PM

All the more reason to be careful of what we say in this forum. Yesterday I found posts through Google ranging from just recent to as far back as 2009.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Deathwind

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/09/14 04:23 PM

I haven't seen those tubes since I was a kid. Ever tried mixing the peanut butter and jelly then pouring? It looks a bit gross but saves a tube and can be eaten directly from the tube.

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/09/14 09:56 PM

Death..i keep the Pb and jelly in their own tubes.i put jam on my pancakes and don't care for BP on them.
however a person could come up with their own mix of PB-jam-honey-oat flakes-bee pollen-pea meal,or whatever,and have a home made clop for the trail or survival kit.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/09/14 11:02 PM

Deathwind,you should look up MOOSEGOO.It is a mix of rice flour honey and peanut butter. I can't remember the proportions though.It is usually put in tubes like this.....

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: Deathwind

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/10/14 06:13 PM

Canoedogs.

Good Point
Thanks

BOATMAN

Thanks. Sounds much like Plumpy Nut which they give to starving children in Africa. I believe that's a mixture of peanut butter, honey and powdered milk. It works from what I saw.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/11/14 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Aussie

They were Walkers "Oat Oatcakes". A nice cracker with a very high oat content. Oats have lots of good carbohydrated which help fill you up and supply long lasting energy, plus they taste great !

Those are SOOOOO good!! There's a little booth at a local weekend flea market near here that imports and sells them. Really expensive, so I don't buy them often, but holy cow! Are they ever good!!
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/11/14 02:06 PM

Here is a recipe for Scottish oatcakes supposedly the same as Walker's.

http://powerhungry.com/2011/10/scottish-oat-cakes-like-walkers-highland-oatcakes/

My mouth is watering already.

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/12/14 03:55 AM

the best thing to put on oat cakes is Golden Syrup.thick and sweet and very Scottish. when i was a kid i always wondered about the label with the bees around a dead lion with the line something like "out of the strong came sweet".
sort of yucky i thought---
Posted by: yee

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/12/14 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: boatman
Deathwind,you should look up MOOSEGOO.It is a mix of rice flour honey and peanut butter. I can't remember the proportions though.It is usually put in tubes like this.....

Thanks!
Just made up a batch.
It's absolutely delicious!!
Posted by: boatman

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/13/14 01:53 AM

You are welcome.I have also read that it (moosegoo)can be baked into a kind of cookie.....

BOATMAN
John

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/13/14 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: Aussie

Those are SOOOOO good!! There's a little booth at a local weekend flea market near here that imports and sells them. Really expensive, so I don't buy them often, but holy cow! Are they ever good!!

Fortunately they are on our local supermarket shelf, and not expensive here !

Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
Here is a recipe for Scottish oatcakes supposedly the same as Walker's.

http://powerhungry.com/2011/10/scottish-oat-cakes-like-walkers-highland-oatcakes/

My mouth is watering already.

That recipe looks pretty good, I'm not sure about the honey though, there is no sweetness at all in them.

I'll have to give it a try and see ! (Thanks for the link)

FYI the Ingredients list from the packet:
oatmeal (86%), vegetable oils, skimmed milk powder, salt, raising agent (sodium bicarbonate).

Re: Peanut Butter - 07/14/14 04:05 PM

Who would have thought this thread would be resurrected all because of a picture of a cookie jar?

Jeanette Isabelle