SW Radio stations--to which ones do you listen?

Posted by: David

SW Radio stations--to which ones do you listen? - 02/20/03 06:16 PM

I recently had to repair the "floppy antenna" on my Grundig YB400 SW radio. The case was open, w/o batteries, for 24 hours or so while the JB weld hardened. Consequently, I lost all the frequencies I had stored in memory, and need to reprogram the radio. While I have some notes, it will take a while to reconstruct everything. So...

What SW radio stations/frequencies do you listen to for news & information, & why?

Thanks.

David
Posted by: rdwilson

Re: SW Radio stations--to which ones do you listen? - 02/20/03 10:38 PM

Ditto David's need. Just purchased the same unit and have been away from SW for 15 years or so.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: SW Radio stations--to which ones do you listen? - 02/21/03 02:51 AM

My No. 1 for evening listening in North America is the BBC on 5.975.
Posted by: YBZ

Re: SW Radio stations--to which ones do you listen? - 02/21/03 03:28 AM

Shortwave Listening Guide

I mainly use my Sangean 909 for listening to pirate radio on 6955 kHz. I can get the BBC and DW over the net, so...*shrugs*
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: SW Radio stations--to which ones do you listen? - 02/22/03 05:07 PM

Radio Havannah out of Cuba comes in very strong, and sometimes offers a "different" perspective on things.

Posted by: amper

Re: SW Radio stations--to which ones do you listen - 02/24/03 04:59 AM

Mostly, I use my multiband set (Sony 7600) when I travel out of the US, for news access in case of emergencies. It also makes a great alarm clock, though it is a bit heavy and bulky.

At home in NJ, it's an unfortunate fact that I have a lot of trouble picking up most stations (besides regular AM/FM) other than the BBC World Service, so I usually end up listening to whatever high powered AM station that is designated as the emergency news service station for that area, in my case at home, WKYW 1060 AM in Philadelphia.

I know that somewhere out there on the 'net is a list of all the designated stations for the US...if I find it again, I'll post it, or maybe someone else can post a link.
Posted by: amper

Re: SW Radio stations--to which ones do you listen - 02/24/03 05:02 AM

I should also mention that I've been using my new Motorola GMRS radios with the built-in weather band receivers for weather alerts and forecasts, and plan to pick up the new Sony AM/FM/TV/Weather wrist radio.