Lamp wick for an ember.

Posted by: sotto

Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/02/13 06:06 PM

Perhaps this is old news--I certainly discovered it years ago and am just getting around to posting about it.

Standard lamp wicking will take a spark pretty readily and then turn into a glowing ember that will burn from one end of the wick to the other unless you douse it in water. Even the slightest breeze keeps it glowing red hot. I just cut a very short length off to keep from wasting wick. The ember is hot enough to char oak.

Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/03/13 04:34 PM

Sotto,

It is a good tinder, but it works even better if you dip one end in kerosene.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/03/13 09:05 PM

If you burn it first, it's exactly like char cloth, and will catch a little quicker.

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/03/13 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
If you burn it first, it's exactly like char cloth, and will catch a little quicker.

Yes, the burned edge is almost exactly like char cloth, and I also have found it takes a spark very fast. Thanks for mentioning it.
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/04/13 12:41 PM

Found a box with 5 5-inch wicks for 2.50 at Wallyworld.

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/06/13 01:57 AM

I also intended to mention that you can easily set the burned edge aglow with a small hand lens on a sunny day.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/06/13 03:01 AM

There are lighters based on this, saw one on a ray mears show. The wick is soaked in saltpeter and placed in an open end tube, another tube with sparker wheel and flint is welded next to it and used to ignite the wick, which smolders and can light other stuff until it's snuffed with either your finger or a ball on chain.

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/06/13 03:30 AM

Cool, thanks for the heads-up. I really enjoy most of those Ray Mears shows. Real high quality production and beautiful locales.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/06/13 03:36 AM

I was trying to find the video but it has been deleted all over. Here's a more modern version though.

http://www.natureetdecouvertes.com/outdo...amadou-52011120
Posted by: boatman

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/06/13 08:15 PM

That link is of an WWI style trench lighter.It would get enough of an ember to start a cigarette.Have been looking for one.Now to find an American supplier.....

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Lamp wick for an ember. - 09/06/13 08:51 PM

"http://survivaltek.com/?p=1660"
Here you go, Sir. Standard disclaimer.