mora robust

Posted by: quick_joey_small

mora robust - 07/02/13 06:23 PM

The gear guide on the home page says:
"Mora Knife Model 731 (carbon steel balde), Model 748 (stainless steel blade) and Model 2000 (The Mora is favored by a number of survival instructors as a practical and inexpensive fixed blade, though less robust than the blades above.)

Are the new 'robust' Moras as good as the other recommended knives?
qjs
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: mora robust - 07/02/13 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
The gear guide on the home page says:
"Mora Knife Model 731 (carbon steel balde), Model 748 (stainless steel blade) and Model 2000 (The Mora is favored by a number of survival instructors as a practical and inexpensive fixed blade, though less robust than the blades above.)

Are the new 'robust' Moras as good as the other recommended knives?
qjs

Mora (Frost and KJ Erikson) used to produced knives in approx 3 different sizes (3.5 to 4") for general use. The newest knives have thicker steel (3.2 mm instead of 2.2 or 2.5 mm) Thinner steel is easier to slice and dress game/fillet fish.

Mora has been coming with better (ie. more stout) knives the last few years. Quality wise they are as good as ever but they have been quielty doing things like the Robust HQ and the newer Bushcraft and Companion HD knives. The slightly longer Bushcraft Black Heavy Duty has about a .3" longer blade and a slightly longer tang (3/4 length instead of 2/3) and with a black coating and sharpened back spine and 27* edge (better for splitting and edge retention) instead of their traditional 23* edge. I have the Robust and its a great knife; I also have 3 other Moras but I am so tempted to pick up the Bushcraft Black HD even with the steeper price tag of $47 vs $24. It seems Mora has been listening to the survival schools for beefier hardware and they are delivering. Heck the Bushcraft Black has even "bulletproof" advocate Dave Canterbury singing the praises about it. I use mine a fair bit for moderate batoning and have yet to break a knife blade yet.

Ramblin' Jim has a bit more on his commentary.
http://www.ramblinjim.com/articles/mora-knife-models-explained-and-compared/
Posted by: boatman

Re: mora robust - 07/02/13 08:45 PM

I have three different MORA knives.A model #1,Bushcraft Force and the Bushcraft Black.As Roarmeister said the Bushcraft Force/Black have longer tangs but are also the widest of all Mora's.The Force model is in stainless and I plan on using it for boating and fishing.The BLACK is carbon steel and has the thicker blade.It will be my back up hunting backpacking blade.My primary knife is a Randall model #5.I wouldn't say the thicker blade is better but it is stronger of course.The edge geometry is just different.The BUSHCRAFT series handles are some of the most comfortable I have used.Yes the ROBUST Mora's are better than the others.The bushcraft Moras are better than the other Robust line....

BOATMAN
John

Re: mora robust - 07/03/13 05:48 PM

Thanks for the advice folks. They sound good :-). By the way: they are $39 at Ragweed forge.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

qjs

Re: mora robust - 07/03/13 07:22 PM

Thanks for the advice folks. They sound good :-). By the way: they are $39 at Ragweed forge.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

qjs

That's for the single sheath and belt loop. The sheath with the extra belt clip is $43. Ragweed forge doesn't sell out of country, those are US prices. I was quoting CDN dealer price which has the sheath with both attachments.
Posted by: haertig

Re: mora robust - 07/04/13 01:04 AM

I have several Moras, and they are great utility knives. They are the ones I use when I don't want to worry about what happens to the knife (yard work, etc.)

I have recently switched to the SOG Field Pup for my utility knife however. The SOG has significantly better fit and finish (although we all realize that fit and finish are not what makes a knife work). The SOG is only slightly higher priced - a dollar or two - than the cheapest Mora. That is, if you can get the SOG on sale, as below:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SOG-Field...CFYVFMgodB08ALg

[edit]Made the URL a clickable link[/edit]
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: mora robust - 07/04/13 03:47 AM

I bought Field Pups for our kits and I've been pleased with how they've performed.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: mora robust - 07/04/13 07:19 AM

I haven't tried the Mora Robust but I have dozens of Moras and they're all great knives. The Robust will probably be great as well. I also really like the Field Pup; it certainly has the edge where the sheath is concerned. The MOLLE nylon one is great.
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: mora robust - 07/04/13 02:08 PM

Is the SOG Field Pup made in the U.S?
Posted by: Denis

Re: mora robust - 07/04/13 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
Is the SOG Field Pup made in the U.S?

China, by the looks of it (source).

Re: mora robust - 07/04/13 06:35 PM

I've never really understood why if Moras are great for bushcraft a more robust knife would still be better. Why is that?
qjs
Posted by: Tjin

Re: mora robust - 07/04/13 08:54 PM

I've never really understood why if Moras are great for bushcraft a more robust knife would still be better. Why is that?
qjs

I guess thick give a nice more durable feel to it? I like the thin blades, because thin blades simply cuts better...
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: mora robust - 07/04/13 10:21 PM

I have a Mora Carbon Triflex, which can get a very sharp edge using a Fallkniven DC4 and is very useful for certain Bushcraft tasks except really for chopping tasks.

I also have a couple of Hultafors Heavy Duty Craftsmens Knifes and have been impressed especially when they are available for less than £7 each. Cheap enough to even abuse them and not worry even though they will stand up to a surprising amount of abuse. Combine one with a Bacho Laplander and there really isn't much that can't be handled in the wilderness, which gives a lightweight solution for around £25.

Even Colin Recommends them. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyqGjwOZuxs

Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: mora robust - 07/05/13 06:21 AM

The Triflex is a really great knife!

Re: mora robust - 07/27/13 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
The Triflex is a really great knife!

And is being discontinued along with the Force.

For those who don't want to pay more for the coated black of the Bushcraft Black, you can buy the Companion HD which has the same blade (3.2mm, 3/4 tang, sharpened spine) as the black without the coating and it has a handle shape that matches the basic Companion and Robust knives.
Posted by: KenK

Re: mora robust - 07/28/13 12:03 AM

I have lots of Moras - stainless, carbon, 2000 ... but the Robust is my favorite so far. The thicker blade has a great feel to it. Simple as that.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: mora robust - 07/29/13 10:10 AM

I have a Mora 611 (with a lower handguard) and the robust. The robust doesn't cut as well, but seems like it would be better overall for general use.

They are cheap and light enough where you can carry one on your person in another in your pack, and I trust the consistency of the steel better than I do the chinese produced knives. Not that things like the BG can't be good, just that you never know from one knife to the next.