back to the basics TP

Posted by: TeacherRO

back to the basics TP - 06/06/13 04:10 AM

Dry toilet paper
Posted by: Tjin

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/06/13 06:24 AM

I would take out the inner cardboard tube and use the TP roll inside out, when put in such containers. Much more practical then having to pull the entire roll out of the can.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/06/13 12:00 PM

I prefer a ziplock bag of the appropriate size - a much more secure seal. Of course, there are various adequate substitutes, of which snowballs are the best.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/06/13 02:17 PM

I like the fact that it is back to the basics,,

Though I would suggest covering the labels. Nothing worse than being half awake going to make coffee and finding TP. If your like me that would be cause for an emotional breakdown.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/06/13 03:46 PM

LOL@Tyber! I never thought of that.

We use the coffee can approach when we car camp. If you take the cardboard tube out, and pull up the end from the middle, I found it works easier for the younger kids. You can also pop a hole n the bottom and lid, and run a wire or piece of paracord through it so you can hang it from a tree, clothes line or outhouse. Just beware of rain and drips from trees. It'll run down the wire and wet the roll inside unless it's a tight fit.

For backpacking, it's ziplock all the way for me. Lighter and less bulky. Just make sure you get a good seal. Soggy TP sucks.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/06/13 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

A whole roll??? eek
I suppose -- if -- you are car camping with family or larger group...

I have a single use of tp stored in the handle of my plastic gardening shovel (for cat holes). I also have numerous packets of MRE tp that I can bring along and store in zip loc baggies. Store in multiple convenient locations. But then again I have also aclimatized myself to using natural materials for cleaning up.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/06/13 08:50 PM

"MRE TP is the devil Bobby."

I carried a half roll in a plastic bag for all my field trips. Still do. My toothpaste is stored in the middle, to avoid nasty explosions.
Posted by: Denis

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/07/13 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
I have a single use of tp stored in the handle of my plastic gardening shovel (for cat holes). I also have numerous packets of MRE tp that I can bring along and store in zip loc baggies. ..

I use Coghlan's Tissue On The Go rolls for backpacking and daypacks. Its a very handy size and the plastic dispenser makes using it easy.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/07/13 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

A whole roll??? eek
I suppose -- if -- you are car camping with family or larger group...

I have a single use of tp stored in the handle of my plastic gardening shovel (for cat holes). I also have numerous packets of MRE tp that I can bring along and store in zip loc baggies. Store in multiple convenient locations. But then again I have also aclimatized myself to using natural materials for cleaning up.

Oh, I dunno. Sometimes it comes in handy. My brother did a camping trip with Boy Scouts about 15 years ago; at the time I was an assistant adult leader. We were going to split an entire roll for the 7-day trip (makes sense, right?). On night one of the trip, his tent buddy downs a whole can of diced pineapples. He also happens to have bad citrus allergies. After having explosive ... issues ... he runs out of his TP, and uses ALL of ours.

Fortunately, one of the other adults ran to a 99-cent store and bought us a replacement roll for the remainder of the trip, after first dropping the Scout off with his dad in the parking lot.

Point is, sometimes you can't have enough.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/08/13 02:51 AM

For multipurpose and waterproof TP, I use shop towels (blue or white). They can get wet and still be used for TP. I always pack them out of the backcountry for throwing away in the trash. Fold each sheet to make 9 squares.
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/08/13 02:26 PM

smooth river rocks are OK.... but not pine cones!
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: back to the basics TP - 06/10/13 02:04 AM

I get my supply at Walmart or Safeway in the travel section along with the micro stuff like shaving cream and shampoo.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com