EXternal phone batteries

Posted by: TeacherRO

EXternal phone batteries - 05/26/13 03:51 PM

Nice round up of battery packs for keeping your devices running - sometimes for several days. (And one for $16!)

external (spare) batteries for phones, laptops and other devices

TRO
Posted by: Tjin

Re: EXternal phone batteries - 05/26/13 04:14 PM

It's a shame external phone batteries generally only last 2-3 years.

I haven't figured out what's best for me yet. I like mine external battery chargers because they can charge while using the phone, but a spear battery is much smaller...
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: EXternal phone batteries - 05/26/13 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Tjin
It's a shame external phone batteries generally only last 2-3 years.

It's a matter of charge cycles as well as age. Also, they tend to gradually lose capacity with usage and time. Larger capacity batteries, in my experience, tend to be useful longer.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: EXternal phone batteries - 05/28/13 11:19 AM

That's the downside of lithium ion and lithium polymer technology and low cost cells. They are typically made to a 300 cycle MTBF but remember they also loose a %of capacity no matter how they are used or not used. I've seen some higher end that last a little longer but your going to pay more.
That's one reason I stick with AA powered devices when possible.
Posted by: Denis

Re: EXternal phone batteries - 05/28/13 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
That's one reason I stick with AA powered devices when possible.

I think I've linked to it before, but this is why on my long list of things I should do is making a Minty Boost charger.

I like the idea of being able to use AA's to recharge devices with internal batteries if needed.

I think there are commercial versions out there too, but building it seems like more fun smile.

Edited to add: here is a commercial version of this concept from Energizer which uses 3 AAs: Instant Charger
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: EXternal phone batteries - 05/28/13 07:05 PM

If your device has removable battery a charged spare battery is much smaller/lighter. An external pack needs to convert its internal lithium ion voltage 4.2v to USB 5v, then your device convert it back to 4.2v. You lose a lot of power in the process so you only get about 2/3 of the pack capacity.
Posted by: sotto

Re: EXternal phone batteries - 06/04/13 04:34 PM

I dunno. One potential problem is that, as soon as they change the connector on whatever device you wanna charge, your external power supply may suddenly become obsolete.

My best external battery pack is under the hood of my truck and starts the motor and is good for thousands of recharges. And when they change the connector on my device, I just get another charging cable.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: EXternal phone batteries - 06/04/13 05:57 PM

sotto,

A little hard to carry in your pocket though! :-)

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: EXternal phone batteries - 06/05/13 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: sotto
I dunno. One potential problem is that, as soon as they change the connector on whatever device you wanna charge, your external power supply may suddenly become obsolete.

They are supposed to stick with microusb on the phone side for a while, but a USB to supermicroUSB cable will be easy enough to replace when they come out with it.

Originally Posted By: sotto

My best external battery pack is under the hood of my truck and starts the motor and is good for thousands of recharges. And when they change the connector on my device, I just get another charging cable.

I have two of those under my hood, one is none and two is one right smile

Re: EXternal phone batteries - 06/07/13 11:30 AM

I have this one, carry with 4 eneloops inside.

http://www.verbatim.com/subcat/accessories/power-pack-chargers/aa-power-pack/products/