Recommendations on a vacuum sealer?

Posted by: Malpaso

Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/08/13 03:25 PM

I'm in the beginning stages of researching vacuum sealers. I could not find any recent threads on them here. I'm looking to seal medical supplies, food and ammo. I don't want to break the bank, but I know I'll have to spend to get quality. Foodsavers seem to get good reviews, as does the Cabelas foodsaver/gamesaver, but that brand was not favorable in years past. What is the consensus on current offering?
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/08/13 05:19 PM

I have an inexpensive Food saver v2222 and jar adapters for large and small Mason jars...I've probably done only 3 rolls of bags, so not that much time on the machine... if I had watched the Wendy DeWitt Food Storage vid on youtube first... would have gotten the Deni Jar Vac she recommends for food storage...most of what I put away now is in glass jars, vacuum sealed

her Jar Vac comments are around 1.02:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLuIApyNPc
Posted by: yee

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/08/13 05:33 PM

The Foodsavers requires special channel vacuum bags which are relatively expensive.

I am not sure what the Cabela's unit uses.

Might I suggest research into the Sinbo unit?
http://www.dougcare.com/foodstorage/homeequip.htm#sinbo

It uses standard vacuum bags.

At the same site listed above, an 8x10 bag (bulk purchase) is
standard : 0.05 each
channel : 0.15 each

There are multiple vendors for the Sinbo sealer but as far as I can tell, all are online dealers. I have yet to see a storefront carry it.

Conway Yee
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/08/13 10:48 PM

I use the Sinbo for all my kits and 4 mil bags for extra protection.

http://www.dougcare.com/foodstorage/homeequip.htm#sinbo
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/09/13 04:21 AM

I've been looking for a vac sealer unit too. The Sinbo looks interesting. Which model do you recommend for packing kit contents? Anyone know if you can seal tap water in it and bring it to a low boil to sterilize it for storage, assuming you leave around two extra inches of unfilled bag below the top seal?

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/09/13 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Anyone know if you can seal tap water in it and bring it to a low boil to sterilize it for storage, assuming you leave around two extra inches of unfilled bag below the top seal?

I doubt that this is an option. The vacuum will suck out the air and water to the back of the unit.

Leaving this isssue aside, just sealing without the vacuum is tough because the sealer seals with the bag on its side. Water will have a nasty tendency to spill.

I have had success with freezing stew before sealing so I suppose you could seal non-sterile ice in bags that are suitable for sous-vide.

Conway Yee
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/09/13 02:34 PM

I too have been thinking about a vacuum sealer and I certainly like the looks of the Sinbo very much, but have 3 questions.

Can the vacuum level be adjusted? For example, can you adjust the vacuum level for something that could be crushed?

Can you use the sealer without the vacuum, particularly to make a smaller bag than the ones you have available?

Has anyone seen or tried the filter for liquids? There are times where it might be nice (particularly when packing foods) if you could pack a liquid (although I like Yee's idea of freezing the foods first - Thanks Yee).

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/09/13 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain

Can the vacuum level be adjusted? For example, can you adjust the vacuum level for something that could be crushed?

Can you use the sealer without the vacuum, particularly to make a smaller bag than the ones you have available?

Has anyone seen or tried the filter for liquids?

The vacuum level can NOT be adjusted.

The sealer works without the vacuum.

No idea about a filter. Mine doesn't have one. It is the original model.

Conway Yee

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/09/13 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: yee
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain

Has anyone seen or tried the filter for liquids?

The vacuum level can NOT be adjusted.

The sealer works without the vacuum.

No idea about a filter. Mine doesn't have one. It is the original model.

Conway Yee

Well, on my SINBO you determine when to seal the bag, that is a manual operation, so it is easy enough to adjust the vacuum level by simply sealing it when you want, prior to the maximum vacuum. I do that all the time when a full vacuum would be problematic.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/09/13 11:34 PM

I currently use a Eiffel Freshpack Pro Vacuum Sealer.

http://www.planetseafishing.com/reviews/read/eiffel-freshpack-pro-vacuum-sealer

It works and I'm happy with its performance.

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/09/13 11:43 PM

Mr. Ritter,
Since it is apparent that you are reading this thread, is there any chance you could fix a typo in one of your older articles?

In your post on this website entitled, "Foodsaver Sucks, Not Vacuum We're Talking About", you write about the "Jimbo snorkle style machine" at the end of the post. Its the first sentence in the second to last paragraph.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=61

Thanks.
Conway Yee
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/10/13 08:20 AM

I guess the question is what are you willing to spend? I have a light commercial chamber vacuum sealer. It cost $1000 and it almost certainly overkill for what you need, but it can do some things that no clamp or snorkel machine can do. For instance, I can seal a bag of water completely tight with no bubbles. It will almost vac most all the atmo out, preserving stuff like Weber tinder or WetFire that's ruined by air.

Chamber machines start at about $550- not cheap but pretty amazing if you need advanced capabilities.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/10/13 11:38 AM

And Phaedrus' gizmo makes very durable packages. He graciously sent me some packets of tinder he had prepared; they have been knocking around in my packs for about two years or so and they show no signs of wear or abrasion. Really, really durable.
Posted by: Malpaso

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/10/13 03:01 PM

Do any of these allow for making your own size, like a laminating machine does, or do you need the bags to be pre-sealed on 3 sides? Specifically, I'm thinking of IFAKs which would be pocket size, or 3"x5".
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/10/13 03:15 PM

Malpaso... they will typically have a "seal" and "vacuum/seal" button... the "seal" option allows you to make your own sized bags.. pic is of a channel bag I made to act as a water carrier that folds for my wallet... note double sealing stripes on left side and bottom

Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/10/13 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Malpaso
Do any of these allow for making your own size, like a laminating machine does, or do you need the bags to be pre-sealed on 3 sides? Specifically, I'm thinking of IFAKs which would be pocket size, or 3"x5".

That's what I'm looking for too. Would like to see more details on that capability. I don't have a whole lot of use for only being able to package things in an 8"x10" form factor.

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/11/13 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: yee
Mr. Ritter,
Since it is apparent that you are reading this thread, is there any chance you could fix a typo in one of your older articles?

In your post on this website entitled, "Foodsaver Sucks, Not Vacuum We're Talking About", you write about the "Jimbo snorkle style machine" at the end of the post. Its the first sentence in the second to last paragraph.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=61

Thanks. Fixed and updated.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/11/13 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

Doug which Simbo is the one you use: DZ-280/A, DZ-280/2SD, or the DZ-280/2SE? How do you go about sealing small packets or pouches?
Posted by: buckeye

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/11/13 01:39 PM

Several years ago I wanted a vacuum sealer for various purposes; storing/freezing meat and chicken I would buy on sale; packaging WetFire and other tinders; etc. After a lot of research I purchased the FoodSaver GameSaver DeluxePlus with the Jar Sealer attachment. It has served me well but I only use it occasionally (perhaps once every month or two). Almost every unit/brand I reviewed had very mixed reviews in terms of durability and reliability, even the one I purchased.

I initially bought the FoodSaver GameSaver Silver as I liked the 12Volt DC power, but had to return it as it was DOA. That’s when I tried the one I have now and as I said it works well and I can use it off my vehicle inverter should I need it in the field. The price fit my budget and it had the features I wanted.

So, if/when you get one I suggest two things:

• Test it immediately and be sure it and all accessories work correctly.
  • Pace yourself in its use, especially if you but a less expensive model like mine. I usually do two or three seals then let it rest for a minute or two before resuming.

Please let us know what you decide upon and how it works for you.

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/11/13 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
which Simbo is the one you use: DZ-280/A, DZ-280/2SD, or the DZ-280/2SE? How do you go about sealing small packets or pouches?

Be aware that it is not at all clear [to me] that parts are available for anything other than the DZ-280A. Likely, all but a few components are shared. I suspect that the DZ-280/2SE is JUST THE DZ-280/A with a small jar hooked up to the oval connector in the back of the unit (but am not sure).

Conway Yee

Re: Recommendations on a vacuum sealer? - 05/12/13 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

Doug which Simbo is the one you use: DZ-280/A, DZ-280/2SD, or the DZ-280/2SE? How do you go about sealing small packets or pouches?

I currently use the DZ-280/A. If I was to buy again today, I'd get the DZ-280/2SD for the wider/stronger seal and would probably not have to use my impulse sealer to reseal them for a stronger seal so often. I pretty much have just gotten into the habit of doing that with everything.

See: http://www.dougcare.com/packagingequipment/impulse0.htm I have a AIE-300 (12" - 2mm seal).

I use this to make up smaller bags as needed. Probably 75% of my vacuum bagging it done with "custom" sized bags (beyond just shortening a long bag). It makes it much, much easier than trying to use the SINBO for just sealing.