Survival Summary

Posted by: GoatMan

Survival Summary - 04/12/13 07:13 PM

Wow...Stumbled on this site today...

http://summary.survivalsummary.com/

YMMV
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Survival Summary - 04/12/13 08:28 PM

No offense to anyone (I'm not anti-gun or anti-Coglahns) but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 plus a crossbow) ...and... Coglahns Survival kit in a can.
Posted by: widget

Re: Survival Summary - 04/12/13 09:36 PM

Seems more "survivalist", doomsday oriented.
Posted by: spuds

Re: Survival Summary - 04/12/13 09:44 PM

Lots of toys,short on skills is my thoughts.

If this is bugout he needs to do a LOT of camping and use that stuff.

Listing all the supplies,heck,just a household is all I saw.

Pantry,I have reservations too.Kudos to wife making Bread,at least something useful.Cant figure out what he will can if he cant garden,that takes practice,a LOT IMO.After years of it I know here feeding self with a garden wont happen,but its fun and yummy supplements in my case,bet for most others about the same.

Like the concealed carry,that seems useful.In the REAL world.

Is he planning Zombie's down the street,then he better get a bunker

Sounds like the doomsday prepper show.

Finally,he is ahead of 95% of folks,and bug IN he has some real good things (ice storm,snowed in,earthquake,grid down),bug out,I dont know....

IMO only.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/12/13 10:22 PM

OK,went around his site,he is an end of world guy. Thought....this looks like survivalblog,sure enough,a linked article from em.

So yes,more of a survivalist Rawles type.Explains the heavy weapons emphasis.Lot of stuff about his pistol strapped to his side,nothing about his skill or training or practice with it.Typical toy over skills it strikes me as.LOL,he is carrying THREE big semi pistols at once as EDC???? Bit much to put it mildly IMO.

If it says 'Tactical' buy it.Instant Rambo.

Still Im enjoying the flip thru his site,it IS entertaining and does have some good reviews of things.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Survival Summary - 04/12/13 10:41 PM

Looks like 'here's a complete inventory of all my stuff'.

Personally I'd sell a couple of the guns and use the $ to buy a real safe instead of just a cabinet.

His Bug out plan is untested. The first list of stuff to do and grab would take about an hour, then the next section is what to do if they have the luxury of 30 minutes.

Sorry animal lovers but if I had to bug out immediately the frogs and dogs and cats would be on their own, I'm not risking my safety to save them. The EDC list stuff needs to be kept in an pocket organizer or in a pants pocket ready fireman style. The BOB's and totes need to be within reach, not in the back of a closet.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/12/13 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene

Sorry animal lovers but if I had to bug out immediately the frogs and dogs and cats would be on their own
Around here its more like TRY to get out without the dogs,now THATS the challenge. grin
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Survival Summary - 04/12/13 11:42 PM

I noticed his comment that he needed to learn rappelling. I am not sure why, other than he must think it is something that one must do. In fact, he needs to learn technical rope work which involved ascending as well as descending. People who can't go both ways over steep terrain are just accidents waiting to happen and I have seen way too many of them happen, often with very bad outcomes.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 12:02 AM

And he carries maps with locations marked? How nice, easier for me to find his stuff.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 04:43 PM

Then you'd hate my bug out gear, Jac. Except for the coghlans kit in a can. My INCH bag would have you rolling on the floors. Remember: Guns spelled backwards is snug. LOL.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 05:19 PM

Hey! Knock it off spuds. I have a whole lot of guns and ammo at each of my locations. Wait. Most are hunting arms. And I do practice. And I am exceptionally well traind. NM. Go ahead and pick on the poor dumb survivalists. LOL.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 05:25 PM

I'd take my fluffies. They're excellent guard animals and one man or family dogs. If i left them behind they'd get shot by looters. Besides, they can carry thier own supplies in saddle bags. And I'd take The Princess. They'd kill her out of spite. And she sleeps with me. The little purring machine is a blanket hog though.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 05:40 PM

In response to JBMAT's post. I don't need maps for many of the survivalists here. They've let me in thier homes, I know thier families, the wives and kids all like me, one wife has even asked if she can bring her kids to the ranch if it hits the fans, I've made friends with thier dogs and they've shown me not only all thier stockpiles, but weapons, security and thier caches. I have no need for thier things, I have an excess of my own, as well as the cabin and an actual retreat we are working on, disquised as a micro farm in the open desert. But it amuses me that they would trust someone so fully with thier secrets and grant total access. Other myself, Bunny and Tomboy only three people know how to find the entrance to the basement, let alone the combination to get in. Only the three of us know how to get into the cabellas collector safe and the infirmary or the hidden room. All I've shown the survivalists is my long term pantry and the contents oof the bear den buried in under the potting shed. Let them take that six month supply of store bought grains and food and let them go with no bloodshed. Hopefully they'll think they got it all and won't come back. The only problem with that plan are my hands. It's a ranch so I arm them all. This is thier now and they'd defend it and everything here.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Then you'd hate my bug out gear, Jac. Except for the coghlans kit in a can. My INCH bag would have you rolling on the floors. Remember: Guns spelled backwards is snug. LOL.

LOL! I'm not anti-gun, Snake. In fact, I expect to own one within a few years. (We're debating shotgun or rifle right now.) This just reminded of a recent ETS discussion and the Coglahns can. If there's anything in there that's really needed, personally, I'd sacrifice a little of that fire power to get a good one of whatever it is. My point was just that, considering the comprehensiveness of this list, that survival-in-a-can looks a bit useless - even with the Double Bubble.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 07:13 PM

LOL Jac. I reviewed a can kit but I'd never carry one unless I packed it with stuff that I could count on. Looks like they had a contest to see what they could cram in a sardine can. I read part of that guys list, my brother would just go take whatever he has to teach him a lesson for putting it out there like that. The man needs to lose wieght and get used to eating less. And his choice of a head weapon has me wondering what article he read in Handgunning magazine to choose a short barreled 9mm. Can you get guns in Canada now? I must admit my ignorence of your laws.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 07:23 PM

We're allowed to hunt up here in the Great White North, just need to learn and follow all the rules and regs. I know hardly any of them, but know you can use a shotgun, rifle, bow, crossbow. No idea about auto or semi-auto, etc...

My hubby grew up with guns, hunting small game and deer, and target/trap shooting. My family was anti-gun but not anti-meat eating, which always seemed odd to me. I've always wanted to give bow hunting a serious go, and shotgun/rifle hunting has been on our family plan since before we became one. :-)

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 07:52 PM

Thanks for enlightening me. One of each would be a good choice. I have a survival gun in my gear that is .22/.410. Good gun for a kid to learn on and carry except for that bar type trigger. I never understood people who couldn't abide hunting but would sit down to meat. When I was growing up It was hunt and fish if you wanted to eat. Now I can't really hunt anymore. You hunt game that shoots back and an innocent deer or bunny my sights feels like murder. I'm sure that would change in a survival situation however.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 09:36 PM

Hey! Knock it off spuds. I have a whole lot of guns and ammo at each of my locations. Wait. Most are hunting arms. And I do practice. And I am exceptionally well traind. NM. Go ahead and pick on the poor dumb survivalists. LOL.
HeeHeeHee! laugh

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 09:46 PM

The man needs to lose wieght and get used to eating less. And his choice of a head weapon has me wondering what article he read in Handgunning magazine to choose a short barreled 9mm.
Made me think a SKILLED shooter would take him out with a single shot if for no other reason then he could.

I dont know,I think end of world it will be the least expected who survive,like a hobo or mental homeless guy who is surviving NOW with next to nothing.

I have no illusions,I would just like to survive grid down or economic upheaval or natural disasters,think at least I MIGHT have a chance there.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 10:01 PM

Lol true that Spuds. The homeless and those as poor as I was growing up will have it easier than those who have grown used to things like lights, running water, heat and a steadfy diet.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/13/13 11:13 PM

Now I can't really hunt anymore. You hunt game that shoots back and an innocent deer or bunny my sights feels like murder. I'm sure that would change in a survival situation however.

I think the same might be true for me. Won't know until I try. Target shooting will have to suffice if it turns out that way. If I do kill something, though, I'm going to eat it and use it however I can. Shooting animals strictly for sport just isn't never going to be in the cards for me.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/14/13 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

LOL! I'm not anti-gun, Snake. In fact, I expect to own one within a few years. (We're debating shotgun or rifle right now.) This just reminded of a recent ETS discussion and the Coglahns can. If there's anything in there that's really needed, personally, I'd sacrifice a little of that fire power to get a good one of whatever it is.

That was somewhat my point too. He has several handguns listed but less than a box of ammo for some of them. If your not going to feed them then sell them to someone that would. You have to use the tools to be proficient.

I grew up with rifles hanging on the rack that we sighted in the day before deer season. I still have the half a box of .22 hornet from then its probably 25 years old. I haven't shot that little youth rifle in probably 10 years. But I haven't been able to coordinate my schedule with my wife and kids schedule to go hunting.

I bought my first pistol this year and setup some targets twice and burned through 150 rounds each time. I wanted to make sure I'm comfortable, familiar and competent with it. So when I see his listing of 24 rounds thats way too low to me.

I just dipped under 300 rounds for my handgun so I'm going to see if I can get a couple more from the one store that has been able to keep some in stock as we have another farm trip the end of the month so that give me an opportunity to practice some more. I don't need that much but if I make a couple trips and can't restock in between I want to have some extra to carry me over. As I get more proficient I'll not shoot as much then but just like any skill or exercising you have to do it regularly. So I plan to budget myself and plan x number of 'range' trips per year, just like I do x number of camping trips. Set goals and adjust the goals based on the outcome.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Survival Summary - 04/14/13 03:11 AM

Maybe I didn't read his list closely enough, but I noticed that some of the guns are for his EDC -- it seems that he carries two guns, plus magazines for them. So is that responsible for the low round count?

I think this gun stuff is just more fun to talk and and list. It also reflects anxieties and fears. But I don't know how important they will actually be when SHTF. Alright, maybe guns one through three reflect vigilance, but, come on, four through eleven -- that's just for the heck of it.

I'm also uncertain about the application of some of the guns. It seems that he lists the .22 pistol because it helped his wife pass the CCW test, though she doesn't carry it since the caliber is insufficient for defense. I'm guessing that they're not planning to hunt with the .22 pistol. So I'm not sure why that's listed. I also wouldn't want to shoot a pistol grip-only pump action shotgun, because that's harder to control, but maybe I'm just a wuss.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Survival Summary - 04/14/13 08:10 AM

My comment here is about someone mentioning "overweight" or "obese" . I am obese myself , and do in fact think alot about preparedness and obesity.

My comment is specifically focused on obese preppers , which don't seem to be few. If you watch You Tube, you'll see what I mean. Without mentioning names, just see Doomsday Preppers and you'll see amazing shapes. Also, In one of the SAN ( Dave Canterburry ) episodes of prepper videos , you can see would-be preppers who can barely walk !!!

Please no one should be offended.
I am obese myself.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/14/13 10:34 AM

I wonder if, maybe, we're being too harsh on this guy.

When I think back to the beginning of my awakening as a prepper, when I really started actively preparing for the worst, my idea of the worst expanded rapidly. I suddenly found myself thinking about events that I had never considered before, that other people thought they needed to prepare for.

That eye opening swung the pendulum far to the other side for me. It was almost overwhelming. It hit me shortly after I became a mother for the first time so mixed with maternal instincts for a pretty wicked punch. I grew up with a preparedness mentality but without any sense of urgency about it. As my mind became aware of it all, that sense of urgency flourished. My lists were just as comprehensive as this guy's, (minus the guns and ammo. They were there, and still are, but they're on the future list not the active duty list) and probably contained just as many (or more) WTF?! details. I tried to plan out every little detail I could think of and plan for any eventuality. I too might have gone into such detail as to include a survival tin or the exact number of bullets.

Over time, I started figuring out what is truly likely in the time and location I find myself. I'm still learning what preparedness for that should really look like. It's an evolving process. I've gone from over-equipping and over-analyzing, to a slightly more minimalist approach, and back to the middle again. With a new baby in the house, I find myself really fighting not to let that pendulum swing back to "Holy S***!" again.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/14/13 11:04 AM

Has anyone considered that the blogger may be having fun at our expense? As in, it's a fake blog and he gets his jollies reading what others post about "him"?
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Survival Summary - 04/14/13 01:14 PM

No offense to anyone (I'm not anti-gun or anti-Coglahns) but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 plus a crossbow) ...and... Coglahns Survival kit in a can.

Eleven guns is not all that many. smile

The survival kits in cans don't do all that much for me. I think they are mostly a gimmick.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Survival Summary - 04/14/13 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ILBob

Eleven guns is not all that many. smile

The survival kits in cans don't do all that much for me. I think they are mostly a gimmick.

Eleven may not be that many. It seems strange that he does not have significant experience and practice with those guns. That certainly is a bad thing and that attitude leaves trails through the list. He knows a lot of ways to start a fire but mastered none - a person who can only light a fire with a BIC is better off. Thinking that watching a video lifts his skill level in knife fighting to beginner is a bad joke.
My overall impression was that the guy is long on gear but short on skills. That looks like a dangerous combination to me.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/15/13 02:57 AM

I agree Jac. I've never liked people who kill for sport. If you kill it, eat it.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/15/13 03:15 AM

Bite's my tongue at Bingleys comment.
I meant no offense chisel. But if you're really worried about he end of the world, you must learn to ration. At 200 pounds I'm betting he eats regularly and large portions. Plus snaacks, beer, soda etc. Maybe he smokes. This is all assumption on my part. I recently turned 51. I'm 6'4 205 pounds. I eat twice a day when working, or sometimes once, which is what I do at home. I have a 6 pack and the freakish strength and speed nature blessed me with I maintain through hard training. Plus the ranch work helps. Is my routine for everyone? Not at all. My 30 year old son can't keep up with mith me and I can out run my 29 year old daughter. If I have offended you, then I apologize. But I do, in all honesty, suggest you and anyone else that is out of shape and concerned with survival, start some kind of program. Test yourself. Take your bug out gear for a tenty block brisk walk, climb a mild mountain or large hill then listen to your body. It'll tell you far better than I can that you need to be able to survive. I've only seen the preppers on Stevee Harvey, and only because I couldn't locate the remote. Those guys are so rich they can afford to eat. And they have live in thier retreats. No reason fotr them to be fit.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/15/13 03:27 AM

Well said jac. My basic rule is this, 1000 rounds per gun, minimum, at all times. 5.56. 7.62, .45, .22 and a few others number in several thousands. Being able to buy wholesale, having connections for ammo and reloading all help with this. The simple fact is that if the world as we know it ends, there won't be anymore ammo to be had. It'll be hoarded like gold is now. Some ammo like 7.62x54 come in spam cans and it's just so easy to stack those neat cans which keeps the rounds fresh forever, that they just pile up. Literally. If it do's go bad we intend to just bug in, hold our own and live as much as we can off the livestock, crops, the fish and crawdeads and frogs from the ponds and stock tanks. No hunting, foraging scavenging for a few years. Hopefully it'll only be a year or two before things go back to normal and we wont have to defend what we have.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/15/13 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I also wouldn't want to shoot a pistol grip-only pump action shotgun, because that's harder to control, but maybe I'm just a wuss.
BTDT (delivered in that style),now sports more traditonal wares.Hard to shoot,and got looked at like a mall ninja at range.Now with a shock absorbing stock much nicer to handle,even wife likes shooting it,bless her heart.Has a red dot scope now,I like that a LOT on the shotty.

And the old guys dont snicker anymore when we shoot,believe me,upped our credibility a lot with them getting rid of the end of the world look.Hey,it matters,I want to be accepted by those in the know who have taught us so much.

Edit-one thing they taught us,buy ammo when its there because it isnt always(really helps wife on board for that).Boy did that advice pay off.I must have a good 10-20 rounds,rest lost in that tragic boating accident.

Someday maybe be a reloader?
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Survival Summary - 04/16/13 02:09 AM

No snake doctor . I didnt mean yu or anyone else.
I meant MYSELF. I am hoping that MY post does not offend anyone.

I said (I was obese) to emphasize I am NOT offending obese people because I am obese too.

Well, shows that my English still needs improvement ... LOL
Sorry about the poor language

Re: Survival Summary - 04/16/13 02:32 AM

NP. I must have taken it wrong. I try not to offend people on here.here.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Survival Summary - 04/16/13 02:53 AM

Spuds, anyone....just ask...I've been reloading metallic cartridges since the early 80s (shot shells too)....I've been shooting USPSA practical pistol since 1982, and 3 Gun pretty seriously since about 1995...and that's the only way I can feed my hobby which I conservatively estimate is over 350,000 rounds at this point...the practical shooting sports is a fun way to learn some gun handling skills... Les L747
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Survival Summary - 04/16/13 03:41 AM

Well, emergency heat seems like a good thing to have --Especially in Minnesota

Re: Survival Summary - 04/16/13 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Spuds, anyone....just ask...I've been reloading metallic cartridges since the early 80s (shot shells too)....I've been shooting USPSA practical pistol since 1982, and 3 Gun pretty seriously since about 1995...and that's the only way I can feed my hobby which I conservatively estimate is over 350,000 rounds at this point...the practical shooting sports is a fun way to learn some gun handling skills... Les L747
Been looking,its just a priority issue,what has priority,we 'need' other things too.

Cant argue the savings.

OBTW,talking to someone saying powder was short,not to mention primers.That lesson must be heeded too apparently.

Oh,oh,and fellas shooting oddball size rounds,boy are they careful brass collectors.I appreciate when they talk if not reloading they couldnt afford now to be shooters.
Posted by: gigaJack

Re: Survival Summary - 04/23/13 04:40 AM

Greetings Folks,

I just happen to stumble upon this thread.

There seem to be a few questions about my preps. I have been asked all types of question over the years enough to put up a video answering the most asked. I haven't updated my website/blog in a long time and have been focusing my time on YouTube videos. The video that auto-plays on my YouTube channel (http://www.Youtube.com/TheSurvivalSummary) addresses a few of them. My YouTube channel has grown in the last few years to almost 9k subscribers and 2 million views.

I am always up for learning from my mistakes or oversights so here are some responses to posts I have noticed on this forum:

Quote:
I noticed his comment that he needed to learn rappelling. I am not sure why...

I would like to learn rappelling as I work on the 7th floor and I have seen videos of people burning and jumping to their death.

Quote:
And he carries maps with locations marked? How nice, easier for me to find his stuff.

I don't see how having a map with location marked will make it easier for you to find our stuff.

Quote:
That guy is a running joke on most parts of Internet for years now.

I have been involved in most of the discussions on the interwebs that have to do with our preps. Is there somewhere you can point me to that proves your statement? I would be interested in joining those conversations.
Quote:
my brother would just go take whatever he has to teach him a lesson for putting it out there like that.

Oh really! I thought long and hard about putting it out there like I have. My decision to do so was done because everyone valued their opsec. With all the secrecy out there no one was sharing ideas and all the books/articles written were 200-300 pages of fluff to fill up a book to get paid $20 each book. Thus the website The Survival Summary. It is a summary. It is a list. I never tell anyone what or how to do something. I just show you what I do.

Below is a comment from a YouTube subscriber Orapqa1 of mine that keeps me making videos knowing that I help others:
Quote:
Update from NJ and thank you
I've been a subscriber of your channel for some time now. I've always enjoyed your videos related to emergency preparedness, which helped inspire me to take up the same cause. And I'm glad I did because Hurricane Sandy trounced my home state of New Jersey this past week, as I'm sure you've seen on the news. My family was lucky, we did not lose power although many people all around us did (and it's still out). Regardless, I had supplies that were ready to keep my family (and some neighbors) safe. I'd like to thank you and your efforts on your channel for this. Before subscribing I knew it was important to prep but didn't really know how. Thankfully this is no longer the case.

I'll continue to hold down the fort here in NJ, and only ask that you continue the great work on your channel.

Thank you,

J

PS -- there is one down side to prepping, my inlaws have been here since the storm! :P

Quote:
Made me think a SKILLED shooter would take him out with a single shot if for no other reason [than] he could.

I am military trained. I also am very modest and I have seen extreme expert trained operators. To put it another way, my self prescribed beginner label would equate to expert from most other folks. My shooting skills have been tested as combat effective.

Also, Wow! that is the second comment about taking my preps forcefully and killing me.
Quote:
That was somewhat my point too. He has several handguns listed but less than a box of ammo for some of them. If [you're ] not going to feed them then sell them to someone that would. You have to use the tools to be proficient.

When we began prepping I only had a shotgun with a few boxes of ammo. I had to start somewhere, right? After I procured food & water I began to branch out to other gear. Now that I have most things I would need in an emergency I have gone back to purchasing a few weapons and bulk ammo. I now shoot regularly out my back door of our farm.
Quote:
When I think back to the beginning of my awakening as a prepper, when I really started actively preparing for the worst, my idea of the worst expanded rapidly. I suddenly found myself thinking about events that I had never considered before, that other people thought they needed to prepare for.

I also went through that phase. I address this on my YouTube channel homepage and advise new preppers not to make the same mistakes I made.
Quote:
Has anyone considered that the blogger may be having fun at our expense? As in, it's a fake blog and he gets his jollies reading what others post about "him"?

It is hard to fake all the videos I have done showing all of our preps.
Quote:
Some of his posts include the Vendor ID # instead of and/or the name of the product. There's honestly TOO much product detail for it not to be marketing, perhaps.

I get 4-6% Amazon.com marketing fee when people click on them. I have never bought a product without the intent of using it.

Let me tell you. A YouTube "star" with advertising and Amazon.com referals will not make you rich. It will buy you a #10 can or two for the ol' larder ;-)
Quote:
Personally I think the guy just has too much time and money on his hands. One of many who've hopped onto the prepping bandwagon because it's the "thing" in the Zeitgeist. What's interesting is their posts largely dropped off nearly two years ago. About the same time when Doomsday Preppers hit the airwaves. Makes you wonder.

I have been preparing since Y2k and a renewed interest since 9-11.

The posts drop off because I don't update the list or blog post as I should. I only upload videos. I have a very busy life and don't have much time. Please feel free to visit my YouTube channel for fresher content.

Funny you should mention Doomsday Preppers. We were going to be on the first pilot episode and the producers wanted us to be the survival experts instead of practical preppers (two other popular YouTube users).

We also have been talking with the producers about our own show when we get around to building our own redoubt.

Quote:
At 200 pounds I'm betting he eats regularly and large portions. Plus snaacks, beer, soda etc. Maybe he smokes. This is all assumption on my part. I recently turned 51. I'm 6'4 205 pounds. I eat twice a day when working, or sometimes once, which is what I do at home. I have a 6 pack and the freakish strength and speed nature blessed me with I maintain through hard training. Plus the ranch work helps. Is my routine for everyone? Not at all. My 30 year old son can't keep up with mith me and I can out run my 29 year old daughter

I don't smoke or drink. I drink 8oz of coffee in the morning (cream & sugar). I eat one meal at night (~2k calories). I also have around 12-16oz of soda with each dinner. I have a farm where I tend cows, sheep, pigs & chickens. I am 39 years old and would doubt most of the younger folks could keep up with me. I have never had a single cavity. I have fast twitch muscles which makes me stronger than slow twitch muscle folks. I have a physical each year and my doc says whatever I am doing is working and to keep it up. This kinda sounds like an online dating profile, huh?

I didn't figure this was going to take me 10 minutes to write but there you have it. I would invite you to watch some of my YouTube videos where there is an active community of commenters that are usually more engaging than I am.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/23/13 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

I agree, Teacher. We're not as far North, but emergency heat is the thorn in my side. It's the one part of our preps that I always feel is lacking. We've got lots of extra clothes and blankets, chemical hand/body warmers, hot water bottles, etc... but I just don't think I'm going to feel security until we have an off-the-grid whole room/house solution like a wood or pellet stove.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Survival Summary - 04/23/13 12:46 PM

I agree Jac. I've never liked people who kill for sport. If you kill it, eat it.
I agree, but I'm drawin' the line at mosquitoes.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/23/13 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

I agree, Teacher. We're not as far North, but emergency heat is the thorn in my side. It's the one part of our preps that I always feel is lacking. We've got lots of extra clothes and blankets, chemical hand/body warmers, hot water bottles, etc... but I just don't think I'm going to feel security until we have an off-the-grid whole room/house solution like a wood or pellet stove.

A big concern for us too in Minnesota. I help my brother cut, split, haul, and stack firewood for his outside furnace. It is really a lot of work! If you don't have a woodlot, that fuel is just as expensive and hard to get in an emergency as any other fuel, and your home insurance rates will go up if you have an indoor wood burning furnace..

For our house, we have city gas. Obviously, that could be interrupted at any time for a variety of reasons. For short term backup, we rely on portable electric heaters. If power goes down too, we have kerosene heaters and enough fuel for a few days. We also use propane catalytic heaters as backup. Not a lot of comfort, but placed in the basement, it keeps the pipes from freezing.

Long term plan is to install a couple of wall mounted propane space heaters with outside venting and a couple of 100 gal tanks at the ready.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Survival Summary - 04/23/13 02:30 PM

Killing mosquitoes is nor a sport or inhumane action. Killing mosquitoes is an act of self defense since they are transmission carriers of Malaria, West Nile Virus, and I don't know what else.

I am also in the group that kills to defend or eat, and that includes fish. Like the man said earlier, there is no thrill in killing for "sport" after hunting and dealing with 2 legged animals that shoot back.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/23/13 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: gigaJack
Greetings Folks,

Nice of you to drop by,like seeing your Dog.

I still think you are overestimating your survival as you need to accept there are ALWAYS bigger Dogs than you,and a sniper in end of world scenario is a huge huge threat. Cant just go outside and not expect danger will be lurking everywhere,thats my opinion on subject.

Also note I said you are way ahead of herd and you are.

Congrats on Pantry and having wife on board,, again IMO thats a viable possible threat and I agree with LDS on their philosophy in that regard.

Just dont overestimate yourself.The survivor will be lone wolf or compounds with lots of members IMO,FWIW.

Like the survivor TV program,every time someone thinks they are THE man,taken out they are,just if for no other reason than 'they can'

Good luck going forward,lets hope the scenario never presents itself,IMO odds are it wont,not mad max anyhow.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Survival Summary - 04/23/13 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

Long term plan is to install a couple of wall mounted propane space heaters with outside venting and a couple of 100 gal tanks at the ready.

My brother, retired in Bemidji from the Houston heat, has a nice country place with a large fireplace and lots of wood nearby. I am always impressed by his large honkin' propane gas tank, filled up once a year in the late summer.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/24/13 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

My brother, retired in Bemidji from the Houston heat, has a nice country place with a large fireplace and lots of wood nearby. I am always impressed by his large honkin' propane gas tank, filled up once a year in the late summer.

I had a 500 gallon tank when I lived in Duluth. The nice thing is, the price of propane fluctuates, and you can buy it when its cheap. If you own the tank (many are owned by the gas co.) you can dump your supplier and find a cheaper one if you want to. One tank usually lasted me all winter.

Besides, if you believe the scientific theory presented in the movie "Day After Tomorrow" it doesn't matter anyway. All of us north of the Mason-Dixon line are doomed to an instant frosty death when the climate changes.

Might as well party on until Jack Frost takes us down!
Posted by: haertig

Re: Survival Summary - 04/24/13 03:45 AM

but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 ...

Actually, I'd be crying for the poor guy if he only has eleven, not laughing at him. cry

Quote:
I know hardly any of them, but know you can use a shotgun, rifle, bow, crossbow. No idea about auto or semi-auto, etc...

Well, at least you recognize there is a difference between "auto" and "semi-auto", unlike the majority of politicians and new organizations (actually, they know, they just pretend they don't). Not that you'd have a snowballs chance in h*** of getting an auto anyway...
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Survival Summary - 04/24/13 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 ...

Actually, I'd be crying for the poor guy if he only has eleven. . . .

Contrary to the persona I use, whose weapons of choice are the Heckler & Koch VP70 and MP5K, I have zero guns. Would you be crying over me?

I do not believe I would be allowed a firearm due to my psychiatric history; even if I were, I am unable to afford a weapon and training at this time.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Survival Summary - 04/24/13 05:40 PM

[quote=bacpacjac]but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 ...

Actually, I'd be crying for the poor guy if he only has eleven, not laughing at him. cry
[\quote]

And I thought it was the Coglahns survival tin that was worth crying over. YMMV!

Quote:
I know hardly any of them, but know you can use a shotgun, rifle, bow, crossbow. No idea about auto or semi-auto, etc...

Well, at least you recognize there is a difference between "auto" and "semi-auto"

We're thinking a 22/410 would be a good start. It's one of the guns my hubby learned on and, from the little I know of it, seems like it would be perfect for us. We've got an extremely tight budget so we're not likely to turn into a multiple gun owning family, at least for a while, so the 22/410 combo seems like a good compromise - a rifle and shotgun in one. We want something for food procurement (small game primarily) and perhaps a little defense, and this seems like something we could all use. (Well, not the baby, she's not going anywhere near it until she's old enough. In my mind, that's around ten but dependant on each kiddo's personality and maturity.)
Posted by: bws48

Re: Survival Summary - 04/24/13 05:56 PM

[quote=bacpacjac]but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 ...

[\quote]

And I thought it was the Coglahns survival tin that was worth crying over. YMMV!

Quote:

Well, at least you recognize there is a difference between "auto" and "semi-auto"

We're thinking a 22/410 would be a good start. It's one of the guns my hubby learned on and, from the little I know of it, seems like it would be perfect for us. We've got an extremely tight budget so we're not likely to turn into a multiple gun owning family, at least for a while, so the 22/410 combo seems like a good compromise - a rifle and shotgun in one. We want something for food procurement (small game primarily) and perhaps a little defense, and this seems like something we could all use. (Well, not the baby, she's not going anywhere near it until she's old enough. In my mind, that's around ten but dependant on each kiddo's personality and maturity.)

I would go with a .22 only. You learn all the basics of good marksmanship, ammo cheap(er), plus (IMO) I was never impressed with the utility of a 410 (YMMV). Plus, you might find .22 rifles cheaper (new or used); also, a friend or relative might have one in the closet they are willing to part with. At least in the eastern US (and I assume eastern Canada) you can take lots of small game with a .22 (as long as you know how to shoot, and that is a skill you want to learn/teach).

Re: Survival Summary - 04/24/13 06:06 PM

Rifle/shotgun combo's are on the radar for banning,see californias new laws they are pushing through,as I type.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Survival Summary - 04/24/13 06:11 PM

backpacjac,

The rifle/shotgun combo's are great guns, but I would recommend a .22 over 20 guage. The .410 is really a specialists load. The 20 will do almost anything you can do with a 12 ga. Has good slugs, buck and bird shot for almost any use. The .410 has less selection and is frequently almost no selection at the local stores.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Survival Summary - 04/24/13 06:16 PM

And a .410 will not knock down anything large. Good for birds and squirrels, but not deer.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/24/13 11:58 PM

I agree, the .410 is a finesse gun, in a combo it's heavy, and the ammo costs a lot more. It is not a very effective tool for harvesting small game at mid to long range.

For the price of a new double gun, you could probably get a nice used .22 AND a used 20ga.

Re: Survival Summary - 04/25/13 12:45 AM

[edit] Post moved to the other thread started by bacpacjac. [/edit]
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Survival Summary - 04/25/13 12:49 AM

[moved post to another thread]

Re: Survival Summary - 04/25/13 12:51 AM

I started a new thread t move the gun chat out of this one.

Thanks guys!!

Re: Survival Summary - 04/25/13 01:01 AM

[edit] This post was moved to that other thread bacpacjac just mentioned. [/post]

Re: Survival Summary - 04/29/13 01:00 PM

Well said jac. My basic rule is this, 1000 rounds per gun, minimum, at all times. 5.56. 7.62, .45, .22 and a few others number in several thousands. Being able to buy wholesale, having connections for ammo and reloading all help with this. The simple fact is that if the world as we know it ends, there won't be anymore ammo to be had. It'll be hoarded like gold is now. Some ammo like 7.62x54 come in spam cans and it's just so easy to stack those neat cans which keeps the rounds fresh forever, that they just pile up. Literally. If it do's go bad we intend to just bug in, hold our own and live as much as we can off the livestock, crops, the fish and crawdeads and frogs from the ponds and stock tanks. No hunting, foraging scavenging for a few years. Hopefully it'll only be a year or two before things go back to normal and we wont have to defend what we have.

Not just EOTW but what about practicing. I'm not big on the 'buy a bunch of gear and stuff it in a box for 10 years then sell they rusty remains at a yard sale'. I make sure at least twice a year any of my gear gets pulled out and checked, cleaned, batteries replaced, used, tested, etc. with any gear purchase I budget in maintenance. Most of my gear uses AA batteries for example so maintenance cost is a few cents of electricity to recharge but anything that may take a special battery gets a replacement interval listed in my spreadsheet. I do that when I buy the gear and plan from there.

So I apply the same to guns, any that I might plan to use I practice amd train with. So say you decide your going to go to the range 4 times a year and shoot 100 rounds. I'll make my plan to have a minum of 400 target rounds in my ammo box at all times then in case I can't buy any (like now).

Now to give the author the benefit of the dought, maybe he's only listing defense ammo but his numbers still seem low even if thats it. It seems like the having 11 flashlights and only a few spare a batteries. or cans with no can opener. Or 'just add water' food with no addiitonal water.

If I haven't bored you yet I'll use mine as an example, I have two guns that I would consider my 'survival preps':

1. S&W M&P9c
2. Henry US Survival (AR-7)

Both of these now are part of my standard carry when I drive to 250 miles to the farm (BOL in this context).

So I list them in my gear maintenance spreadsheet with the following goals:

Practice: Pistol 4x annually, AR-7 2x annually.
For each buy one magazine annually.
Overall buy one box of ammo per month, this I rotate, maybe one box of 9mm this month, 22lr next month, 20 gauge the next.

The 20 gauge, .22 hornet and the marlin 60 (.22) I don't shoot regularly so they are on a clean 2x per year schedule. They are all youth size so they are mainly being saved for the kids when they get older.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Survival Summary - 05/02/13 03:19 PM

That's a thought provoking point about the homeless being more likely to survive the EOTWAWKI. People with money (PWM) tend to focus on equipment. While the mental aspect is the most important. Even when PWM start trying to focus on the mental, the focus is usually on how to keep the gear they need to survive. The conversation just naturally goes there. Meanwhile, a homeless person is naturally honing the unglamorous survival skills that go beyond equipment but are essential for survival.

Here is one of MANY examples. A homeless person, I'm sure, must constantly decide when they must take instead of ask. Also, how do they go about taking while maintaining their survival? A homeless person naturally has these skills in their toolbox.

Intriguing issue, I may have to start a new thread...

Re: Survival Summary - 05/02/13 06:20 PM

If you reckon a bare minimal subsistence is living, then yes, the homeless have skills. I would argue this, saying that they basically leech off of what they can find, beg, or steal. Those aren't skills.

Skill is taking some logs, some rope, some knowledge, and making shelter. Skill is starting a fire without matches or a lighter. Skill is knowing where and how to find food - sans a dumpster in back of a fast food place. Skill is knowing how to stay warm, clean, and relatively safe no matter the weather.

Take away society as we know it, then the homeless are more than likely to be SOL than the average Joe.

Re: Survival Summary - 05/02/13 07:36 PM

Howdy gigajack. You qouted me twice in your post. First, my brother would indeed take what you have. Your marked maps would lead him right to it. He doesn't have my sweet live and let live nature.
Second, if I remember your site correctly, and I do apologize if I'm wrong about this, you have a quarter acre? Why so much stock on such a tiny place? And the work really can't be that hard. Come to my ranch and see do what we do for one week and you'll see the difference in a working ranch. As I said, your condition was all assumption on my part. Office work is not conducive to physical fitness. There are rappelling systems out there that are goof proof and would store neatly in a drawer. As for your choice in personal carry arms, the .380 makes sense, but why a short barrled 9mm? I have used the 9mm and after the third failure I went back to my .45. Just asking, don't want to startr a huge debate about guns. You carry it and I ask why is all.
As for videos, I've considered making them but not until I retire for good at 53 or 55. I don't need to be recognized while working.
Thanks for your time.

Re: Survival Summary - 05/02/13 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: JBMat
If you reckon a bare minimal subsistence is living, then yes, the homeless have skills. I would argue this, saying that they basically leech off of what they can find, beg, or steal. Those aren't skills.

Skill is taking some logs, some rope, some knowledge, and making shelter. Skill is starting a fire without matches or a lighter. Skill is knowing where and how to find food - sans a dumpster in back of a fast food place. Skill is knowing how to stay warm, clean, and relatively safe no matter the weather.

Take away society as we know it, then the homeless are more than likely to be SOL than the average Joe.

Well, you kind of took one example I gave and ran with it. Anyway, it doesn't really matter.

We're working with a different definition for "skill." A skill in a survival situation is any ability to do any task that promotes survival. Like war, a survival situation is not always (actually is never) pretty, and some things that are necessary are not comfortable to discuss. Now, if you want to be known for high morals, then the conversation is more focused to a certain set of skills.

Re: Survival Summary - 05/02/13 09:46 PM

True, Ireckon.
Recently I ducked between four of them during a trip to the big city. They followed me at least a hundred meters to subway, then inside, and one grabbed my hand and tried to hug me, another touched me in the center of my back. Pokey asked for money, then asked me to buy him food. Controlling my reactions I did no harm to them but one infected me with a really bad case of the flu with that hand grab or breathing on me. What can you do? they're everywhere and you can't really do anything to them for touching. But now they're following and worse, touching. They are also becoming far more aggressive. Doe's this mean that they are evolving?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Survival Summary - 05/02/13 10:20 PM

I do not allow the homeless to approach me that closely. If they start following me I will react defensively, by either confronting them verbally or evading. Unwanted touching may be a criminal act depending on your jurisdiction.

Re: Survival Summary - 05/02/13 10:48 PM

You can't touch them here. And one killed someone who refused to give them money a few years back. I aske the mayors office and they said nothing could be done and not to touch them. My attorney said much the same. And i'd be afraid they'd bleed on me. The flu was bad and I immediately applied sanitizer. I'm a bit of a germophobe so I always have it on me. I was blasting an MP3 and texting, and not paying attention so it's my fault for letting my vigilence down. I carry plastic so I won't be lying when I say I don't have cash on me. This makes some more aggressive, despite my size. Locally they are getting bad, waiting by ATMs and Red Box. I'll have to check with the officials in my nearest city about the touching rule. Thanks for the tip Chaos.

Re: Survival Summary - 05/02/13 11:32 PM

In a more recent case, a homeless bum set an elderly man on fire for not giving the bum money.
http://blurbrain.com/homeless-bum-sets-elderly-man-on-fire/

Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is the classic difference between book smarts and street smarts. Here's one example, people with money (PWM) will try to figure out how to kill a bear with their equipment. A person with street smarts will just run faster than their companions. In that example, I think the street smarts trump the book smarts for survival purposes.

I admit I have more book smarts than street smarts. I enjoy picking up street smarts here and there, but the mental link to the "street knowledge" is not as direct as other folks who basically live in the streets or live in the woods.

Re: Survival Summary - 05/03/13 12:27 AM

LOL. You forgot to mention that they are becoming feral. Like the cats I feed at an apartment I keep. I held down a bag of bird feed for the white one to smell and it snapped into it without even smelling it. They eat birdfeed btw. Whatever the wind blows out of the feeders they scarf up. I'm afraid to go barefoot there.