Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement

Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 05:36 AM

Hi All, I'm trying to make a waterproof fire making kit for a youth group. An Altoids tin is roughly 4"x2.5"x0.75" Does anyone know of a waterproof case or at least water resistant case that is approximately those outside dimensions?

Actually the pouch I'm trying to put this box into is the outside pocket on a Maxpedition 10x4 bottle holder. The pocket measures 6"x3"x1.5" so I could probably go as big as 5.5"x2.5"x1" in size for the waterproof box.

I've looked everywhere, Pelican, Otterbox, Witz, bestglide. I found a fly box for anglers that was close but it has dividers inside and wasn't really even water resistant. Everything is too big for the pouch.

Bepreparedtosurvive.com and bestglide.com both have survival tins with a rubber seal in the lid but the tins are just a hair too wide.

If I can't find anything I may have to resort to waterproofing the altoids tins somehow by myself but I need 18 of them for my group and I'd rather just find something I can order.

Any ideas? Thanks y'all
Posted by: yee

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 05:57 AM

Funny you should post this. I was looking for something similar.

My problem with the Altoids tin is that I EDC it in my hip pocket. The aluminum is too flimsy and the tin is completely dented.

Yesterday, I bought an "Aluma Wallet" from Walmart. It is available online for about $5 each but I paid over twice that.

It is a flimy case with a lousy hinge. I replaced the hinge pins with longer pins (paper clip). The aluminum is thin but is backed with thick plastic. I cut out the centers of the plastic to allow the inside of the tin to be larger. The "rims" of the plastic were then epoxyed back onto the aluminum case.

The advertising is that the case is "water resistant" but I have my doubts. I will be testing the aluminum wallet to see how it handles my hip pocket.

Thanks.
Conway Yee
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 08:09 AM

Nothing with hard shell is going to be that small and waterproof, even pelican 1010 is bigger than that and the interior space is non-existent. Best bet is altoid tin in a freezer bag.
Posted by: Ian

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 08:34 AM

How about a different approach? Instead of a waterproof tin ensure the contents are waterproof or can stand immersion. Stainless bits and pieces, tinder sealed in a bag or waxed (isn't waterproof tinder a good thing?) and so on. Not too difficult.

Drill holes in the tin so it may drain and ventilate easily so if it does get immersed, which is probably not too often, the contents will dry out quickly.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 08:43 AM

Its the same as a altoids but apparently tougher.

http://countycomm.com/tin.html

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Nothing with hard shell is going to be that small and waterproof, even pelican 1010 is bigger than that and the interior space is non-existent. Best bet is altoid tin in a freezer bag.

A plastic takeout container has a hard shell and a waterproof lid plus the bonus of clear plastic lids on most. They are called to go containers, microwaveable takeout containers, disposable containers, and deli containers. They are a little less sturdy than an Altoids tin but if they last one trip, that's enough because they only cost a few cents. I've searched through a lot of restaurant supply houses and they all have perfectly waterproof (water resistant) plastic takeout boxes but none that are the right size.

I did some calculations - An altoids tin is about 4 ounces in size and the Maxpedition pouch will hold up to about an 8 ounce container - if it's the right shape. So far I haven't been able to find any plastic takeout containers or disposable containers that are in the 4 to 8 ounce range and have acceptable dimensions.

Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Its the same as a altoids but apparently tougher.

http://countycomm.com/tin.html

Wrap it in silicone tape (like Rescue Tape) and I'd expect it to be reasonably waterproof.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 01:19 PM

if this is for emergency use only, use a vacuum food sealer to make a small pack, and add a small cut "v" in the corner so it can be opened easily

or if a round container will fit the pouch... something like a pill container and an "o" ring from the hardware store... fits a full size Bic, small ferro rod and scraper... petroleum cotton balls encased in a plastic straws...paraffin wax impregnated corrougated cardboard with strike anywhere matches to add burn time...

Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Wrap it in silicone tape (like Rescue Tape) and I'd expect it to be reasonably waterproof.

That's what I do with mine. If I'm more concerned, I throw the whole thing in a zip lock bag.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Best bet is altoid tin in a freezer bag.

I like this approach. As a bonus, the Ziplock containing the Altoids tin doubles as a handy water container (something usually to bulky to fit inside an Altoids tin kit). I think it's the medium freezer bags I've used in the past and they are reasonably durable and hold approximately 1 litre of water - the perfect amount for a water purification table.
Posted by: Stephen

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 05:43 PM

I played with the idea a while ago for a kayak kit. Not sure what I was thinking when I look back,as common sense will(should)have told me otherwise, but to make a long story short you won't really be able to make an altiods tin "waterproof". water resistant sure, but either accept the fact that water will make its way in eventually depending on how bad the tin is exposed to water or drop it in a ziplock bag or something similar as others have mentioned. The fact these tins have holes where the hinges are will make it harder.

I have seen soap boxes that snap closed and fit the dimentions you are talking about(ish) They are really inexpensive and may offer a useful solution.
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 06:09 PM

This Witz case seems to fit your criteria.

Small Sport Case
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 06:29 PM

I agree with using the Ziplock bags. The one-quart bags are a great size.

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 06:31 PM

Here is something much cheaper than the Witz container but it won't hold as much.

Clear Vinyl Badge Holder w Zipper

$0.44 each
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 08:17 PM

The tins have always been a bit small for my uses, as I like to include a small folder. Have your tried tupperware or rubbermaid products? ( see walmart or similar)
Posted by: spuds

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
if this is for emergency use only, use a vacuum food sealer to make a small pack, and add a small cut "v" in the corner so it can be opened easily

I have lots of stuff vacuum packed,I didnt think of a V notch.I like how it squishes down to maximum small volume.

There are a few tricks for vacuum packing mylar bags on your food sealer.I'll do a thread.
Posted by: frediver

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 09:22 PM

Got to ask, why do you want a tin box ? I doubt you will be cooking much in an altoid box.
You could perhaps make more char using the metal box.
For fire kit supplies why not use oval film cans ?
If I was looking for a metal box without a hinge I
would check out my local Spice Store or Cost
Plus for small metal boxes.
OR
Just do as advised and wrap the altoid Box with
rubber repair tape.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/09/13 10:51 PM

This is a tough requirement, as we've discussed before.

I gave up looking for the perfectly sized waterproof rigid PSK container. I decided to put the gear in a Seattle Sports Dry Doc pouch then put that pouch inside a lightweight nylon zip pouch.

The Dry Doc pouch is very robust and is made from a clear material that is much thicker and more flexible than typical vinyl. The zipper is extremely robust, far more than any freezer bag or poly bag. Still, I know that with time it will develop pinholes if unprotected. So that's why I put it in a sil-nylon zip pouch.

This gives me a reasonably light, very well protected setup. The sil-nylon pouch has 2 sewn paracord loops to connect a dummy cord. And I realized it had another benefit: items that are not dependent on being waterproof can ride in the nylon pouch but outside the Dry Doc pouch, freeing up waterproof real estate.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/10/13 01:14 AM

You can find candy tins that are the same diameter of the Nalgene, and an inch tall, in lot of the Big Lots, Christmas Tree Shops, and dollar stores around here. Put your kit in that, put a few wraps of electricians tape around it (say... ten wraps of bright red tape), then wrap it in a bandana so it doesn't clank. Put that under the bottle. Keep stuff like the knife, ferro rod, and the like in the pocket.

You have to replace the tape every six months or so, but electricians tape is cheap.

I will say that while the metal isn't as heavy as what is in the Altoids tin, I find they are just as tough when the force is coming from above and below.

I'm thinking particularly of these, but this price is higher than what I pay:
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Thames-Mixed-Fruit-Drops/dp/B002UTU64O

If you wanted to be really sure of rust resistance, sand it, tape the side partway so you can close it, spray paint it something like nuclear green or hunter orange, put down a layer of clear coat, and you're good.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/10/13 05:22 AM

I think this little Systema food storage container would fit very well. They're completely waterproof, very sturdy and pretty cheap...like $2.50 or so. I get 'em at World Market but Wal-Mart has them as well.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/10/13 07:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
Here is something much cheaper than the Witz container but it won't hold as much.

$0.44 each

Yeah, 44 cents for the item, but $2.99 shipping. They could put it in a standard envelope and mail it with a first class postage stamp. But it looks like they don't do that. Still, a small pouch like this would have many uses.

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/10/13 02:23 PM

I've narrowed down the list of possible candidates and the logical conclusion is that it will have to be some kind of thin wall plastic with a tupperware style top.

There's got to be some food item in the grocery store that comes in a container like that and is small enough. It will probably be in the refrigerated section and it will probably be something that is wet or semi-wet and thus needs a tupperware style top. It will also probably be some food item that is expensive and thus comes in a small container. I just haven't found it yet.

Perhaps that description will ring a bell with somebody. I'm going to the grocery store this weekend to snoop around. I wish we had a better selection of stores around here.

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/10/13 03:58 PM

Haertig,

>Yeah, 44 cents for the item, but $2.99 shipping.

Yes, but it you order 18 it is still $2.99 for shipping.

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/10/13 04:12 PM

I recently made a fire kit out of tea tin. It's bigger than an altoids tin, and doesn't have a latched lid, so there no holes to plug. As long as I don't overstuff it, the lid is a tight fit, but I secure it with elastic or tape anyway, just to be sure.

I like carrying a metal tin to use for making char cloth, but that requires a hole in the tin so it's not going to be waterproof anyway. In that case, I include the tin as part of the kit, and house it all in something waterproof, usually a zip lock.

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/11/13 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker

$0.44 each

Yeah, 44 cents for the item, but $2.99 shipping. They could put it in a standard envelope and mail it with a first class postage stamp. But it looks like they don't do that. Still, a small pouch like this would have many uses.

What I like about the vinyl pouch is that it can also be used for making first-aid "quik-paks". Just pull it out and toss it to whoever needs it. Of course, the same can be said for a one-quart Ziploc(tm).
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/11/13 09:17 AM

The Solkoa SUMA container is the approximate size, except for being a little taller. It could be cut down to suit your needs. It's milled form 6061 aluminum and is very stout.
The inside of the lid has a gasket material to make a seal.

http://www.fast-fire.com/images/specs/Suma.pdf
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/11/13 10:43 AM

Might be late to this party, but why not just buy some rubber O-rings at your local hardware store and use them as gaskets on an Altoid tin?

Depending on how much you plan to use them, I also wonder if you could get some hot paraffin and "paint" a seal onto the lip.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/11/13 05:19 PM

That Solkoa SUMA box looks good. No mention of waterproofing but I suppose you could run a fine bead of silicone at the lid junction, then secure it closed with Ranger bands.
Posted by: Stephen

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/11/13 09:30 PM

[img:center]http://[/img]

Hey, hey said the man! Figured out how to post pics directly from my iPhone. Every once in a while technology is good for something after all.

Anyway. These are some tins I've got from these cool little emergency fishing kits I have. They snap real tight and would seal reasonably well so long as you don't submerge them.

Not that it solves your problem I know, but the size you are looking for are out there.

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/12/13 03:03 PM

I wonder if the baby soda bottles would be appropriate? You know, those heavy duty "test tubes". They are rugged and compact. something like this: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/test-tubes

Standard Disclaimer

My $.02

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/21/13 08:09 PM

I found the perfect replacement. It is an aluminum travel case for a bar of soap. It is waterproof and is almost exactly the size of an altoids tin. It has a rubber edge seal and no hinges. I found it at a little store that sells gifts and such and they told me they got from China. I'll post more info if I find it but the key to solving this was bar soap travel cases. <smacks head> sometimes it's the simplest things we don't think about.

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 01/22/13 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
I found the perfect replacement. It is an aluminum travel case for a bar of soap. It is waterproof and is almost exactly the size of an altoids tin. It has a rubber edge seal and no hinges. I found it at a little store that sells gifts and such and they told me they got from China. I'll post more info if I find it but the key to solving this was bar soap travel cases. <smacks head> sometimes it's the simplest things we don't think about.

Great idea! (I smacked my forehead too.)
Posted by: saniterra

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/05/13 01:38 AM

I too recommend the Witz sportscases. As they have a number of different sizes from the pretty small to the quite large, they work well, are o-ring sealed waterproof, flip top lids secured by compression buckles, generally include both a lanyard and carabiner on smaller models, are available in colors, translucent and opaque and will stand up to way more abuse than an altoids tin. I won't say that they are as sturdy as an Otterbox, but many are much more manageable than an otterbox. Take a look http://www.witzsportcases.com/ Standard disclaimer.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/06/13 02:34 PM

Nugget, I am here in Kentucky also, would appreciate knowing what store you got those at as those would be great for my scouts and their emergency kits, as long as you don't mind sharing your source that is.

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/08/13 08:44 PM

I found the aluminum box at a store on Sanibel Island Florida and I don't know the name of the store - sorry I was just a drunk tourist smile If you search around the internet there are several plastic and metal soap boxes without hinges for sale. Amazon has several. Ebay has quite a few too. Aluminum boxes are harder to find but they are out there.

Check out this box from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Lifestyle-6-Pack-Assorted-Colors/dp/B004RHT512 This might be snug enough that would not have to add a gasket of silicone or a rubber o-ring. It may be waterproof enough just by the friction of the lid.

The key to all of this though is that a plastic or metal travel box for a bar of soap is the ticket. It is almost exactly the same size as an altoids tin.

For the poster who asked why not just put an o-ring on an Altoids tin - the problem with that is the hinge. An o-ring on the lid would not address water getting in at the hinge. The solution is to have a box with a lid that is not hinged.

Posted by: barbakane

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/09/13 04:51 AM

Every Witz case I've ever had...four of them...have failed me. I've been to all the water parks here in FL and in every instance every "waterproof" case I've used has failed. The Witz closure system is a joke, in my opinion, and open way too easily. Everything else is just too bulky. I'm at the point of considering these:
[img:center][/img]
All I need to do is use an internal gasket and it should be fine. Found this at my local WallyWorld in the nutrition section. It holds some kind of protein shot, but I got it just for the container. I carry my cell phone emergency charger,a AA battery, and the Bic in it. Plenty of room for more, but I got like 5 of these things for various purposes. My nephew got a bunch of acrylic tubes with caps similar to these at Ace hardware a couple years ago, if that helps.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/09/13 05:00 AM

thanks for the info nugget

and here is another option I am currently considering

http://thekeytosurvival.com/bcbinternational/minimesskt.html

no affiliations
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/09/13 07:03 PM

I have used a container very similar,or perhaps identical, to that one for several years. My model sports rubber gasket in the lid and is essentially waterproof. The only negative is that the roller clasps give it a somewhat ungainly profile, but that is relatively minor.
Posted by: digimark

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/09/13 07:45 PM

I'd think an aloksak would do exactly what you need, and it would conform to the Maxpedition pocket better too.

http://www.loksak.com/products/aloksak

This is the same as the person who recommended using a small ultralight first aid kit's container.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/10/13 03:25 AM

I'm currently putting together a kit for a relative who is enlisting. I;ll be asking for advice on certain items. I remember seeing on one sitye that they had two piece tins with a gasket the exact size of an altoids tin. And a larger tin the size of the old jumbo altoids tin. Not sure where though. But it's my choice for this kit when I find it. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/10/13 03:47 AM

Here in the southwest the wax would melt and make a mess. I think Mr. Ritter covered this in his re of a survival kit. Over the holidays I bought some nice tins with small kids puzzles in them. A bit larger than an altoids but much tougher. The puzzles were 50 pieces and reated for 5 and up. Only took me an hour to put Spongebob together. A trick I use is to wrap clear cellophane tape arond the rim of the container, this mad=kes the lid fit tightly, then I use electrical tape.

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/13/13 08:53 AM

I came across another possible path to solve this issue. Besides the hard sided bar of soap container, a container for a deck of cards is also pretty close.

An Altoids tin is 4"x2.5"x0.75"

A standard deck of poker size playing cards is 3.5"x2.5"x approx 0.75"

There are some brands of playing cards that are sold in an unhinged tin. Just have to look around for them.

Posted by: barbakane

Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement - 02/14/13 01:29 AM

I've gone to Michael's Craft stores and found empty tin containers in various sizes. Also have looked at tin gift card holders from Depot, Lowes, various places. These might do as well.