Added layer of security

Posted by: Pharaoh

Added layer of security - 12/10/12 09:38 PM

Hi, all.

Like many of us here I carry some kind of "insurance" like a PLB or SPOT or other type of beacon on my outings so I can summon the cavalry to save my behind when things go haywire.

I found another "system" to serve as backup. Redundancy is a good thing, right? Say your PLB went over the deep end, or your SPOT device slipped out of your hands and plummeted down to the bottom of a canyon ? Now what ?
I did a quick check to see if this has been mentioned here before, but apparently not. If I missed it I appologize.
It is completely free and basically foolproof.
All of the usual applies... no affiliation, etc.
http://trailnote.com/
Check this out, it could very well be a lifesaver and since it is a free service (set up by likeminded folks) your financial situation will never be an issue. This is for everyone!

Be safe guys and gals.
Regards,
Pharaoh.
Posted by: celler

Re: Added layer of security - 12/10/12 09:57 PM

Trailnote has been around for a while, there is a detailed discussion here.
Posted by: Pharaoh

Re: Added layer of security - 12/10/12 11:01 PM

Oops ! My bad. Thanks Celler.
Well, perhaps 1 or 2 uninformed are now informed due to this accidental resurfacing ......
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Added layer of security - 12/10/12 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Pharaoh
Oops ! My bad. Thanks Celler.
Well, perhaps 1 or 2 uninformed are now informed due to this accidental resurfacing ......

There are some topics that are worth repeating, as this one is. Sometimes we miss things when we do an ETS search so no worries about a duplicate thread. Either way, a valuable discussion gets activated again and thwt can be a good thing.

Buying a PLB or SPOT has been pushed back on my priority list and this is a another prevention tool I should look into. Thanks for the reminder of it!
Posted by: 6pac

Re: Added layer of security - 12/11/12 08:34 PM

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't know this existed. I figured things like this would only be available through some type of app on one of those high dollar phones. Nice to know it's out there. Thanks for posting.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Added layer of security - 12/11/12 10:35 PM

I've had this app for about a year but haven't had an opportunity to try it yet.