SLEEPING BAGS

Posted by: ILBob

SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 07:44 PM

I am looking to rebuild my camping and backpacking gear. My ex got most of it in 1998.

I have started to collect stuff again.

There is a guy selling military sleep systems on eBay for $59 plus shipping. Its a heavy thing in total but most times you would not need the whole thing anyway.

I am thinking for summer months a military poncho with the liner in it is purportedly a reasonable facsimile of a sleeping bag. it would probably work Ok in my new hammock that arrived today.

But for cooler times of the year I think I will need more. I am not overjoyed with the MSS but it is relatively cheap and warm enough with all three pieces for any camping I would do.

What do you guys think? I am a big guy (around the waist anyway) so I don't want something tiny, and it seems adequate, but have never used one before.
Posted by: spuds

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 08:06 PM

I look forward to this thread,esp the military bags.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 08:11 PM

$59 and shipping is a steal. Literally. These have to be used. While the system is warm, it's heavy and bulky. Used it for a while, was not real impressed with it overall - again, too heavy and bulky. I often cheated and used a civvy bag in a military cover.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 08:55 PM

For myself, I'd love to find a reasonably-priced sleeping bag that is fairly warm and stores down pretty small. My research into the market indicates that I can have two of those three things, but I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 09:09 PM

Warm, light, cheap - choose two of three. If you are going to do any backpacking, I heartily recommend warm and light and skip all frivolous expenses for a while - you need a down bag. Years ago, I ponied up what was more than a month's wages for a quality down bag. It was one of the best purchases I have ever made. i would still be using that bag today if it had not been stolen.

If you are not backpacking, considerably cheaper options are available. There are some very fine synthetic fill bags that are a bit heavy and bulky, but warm enough for almost all conditions.

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you are not backpacking, considerably cheaper options are available. There are some very fine synthetic fill bags that are a bit heavy and bulky, but warm enough for almost all conditions.

The main reason I want (yet another) sleeping bag is to stash one with my car kit. I have a couple nice ones that I like a lot but are bulky as heck and would eat up the last remaining shreds of sanity in my car's trunk. Heavy doesn't bug me for this purpose.

Just so I know, could you point me at a good one that's light and warm?
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 09:39 PM

I'm currently using a 4 season Snugpak Softie Osprey 12 with an Expanda Panel. Sleeping bag liner is Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite extreme.

If it gets really cold then some Marks and Spencer Thermal top and bottoms. and some British Army Softie Bivi Trousers and Jacket and some Down Slippers.

A good sleeping pad is also essential.

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 10:50 PM

Check the selection at REI. They will have a range of everything available except for the lightest and most pricey - Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. I have had good results with Marmot bags.
Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 11:04 PM

I personally like Wiggy's bags. They are heavy and can be bulky depending on the compression system, but unlike down they will keep you warm even when wet, have a lifetime guarantee and can stay compressed indefinitely. Machine washable to boot.

If you are looking for a car bag I would especially get a Wiggy's, as their only downside is weight. That said, I have no real problem carrying them around under a ruck anyway, but they are definitely not for the ultralighter types.

Keep an eye out for sales on their website as you can often find great deals.

Greg

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/06/12 11:15 PM

Thanks for the pointers. Wiggy's has 20% off and free shipping, but still a bit too much for a "just in case" bag right now.
Posted by: Leo

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/07/12 12:10 AM

Some people may differ but my philosophy is that I would rather be hungry than cold. Meaning that I would rather shave weight on food than a sleeping bag. Not sleeping well is exhausting and demoralizing. I don't ascribe to the old infantry "travel light, freeze at night" any more.
Also remember to calculate the weight of whole sleep system. For instance if you go with a light weight bag that isn't as warm you may want to bring along some heavier sleep wear, whereas with a more robust bag you can sleep in your silkies.
I use a heavier bag with bivy but I partly make up for the added weight by being able to use a tarp instead of a tent.
leo
Posted by: Ironwood

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/07/12 12:58 AM

I am an avid (aging) backpacker, camper, climber in all season and ALL areas desert, mountain, deep South, cold North. I have.......5 or so higher end bags here, from down/Gortex, to nylon/down, and one Mil. sleep system. My 10 year old is using it. I "stole" it as well, like $45 for two of the bivies (one digi, one woodland camo), one summer (green part) and on winter (black part) and two stuff sacks at a local flea market. I like it. Yes, a little heavier than some but I would have spent 3x's as much if needed. I like the versatility of it. I had spent 200 days a year for 4 years as an Experiential Ed. counselor and equipment manager for the camp, think Outward Bound for troubled teens. I know alot about most gear. I never had synthetic bags as the older versions didnt last near as long as down, today they are better.

I would not hestitate to pick up a mil spec sleep system if the opportunity presented itself. I would also encourage you to get a mil poncho liner, sew a long zipper onto two sides. This accompanied by a bivy can be good down to 40 degrees or better (depends on how warm you sleep).

Ironwood
Posted by: nursemike

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/07/12 07:02 PM

If you are going to use a hammock, there are some diy solutions available, as well as an astounding number of custom jobs like this.

Be interested to know if anyone has experience with hammock applications for camping.

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/07/12 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
If you are going to use a hammock, there are some diy solutions available, as well as an astounding number of custom jobs like this.

Be interested to know if anyone has experience with hammock applications for camping.

I use tents, rather than hammocks, since I often pitch in treeless environments, but there are plenty of backpackers who prefer hammocks, and there are several manufacturers - Hennessy is the most well known brand, carried by REI (along with Eno), and there are several cottage manufacturers. I believe there is a forum dedicated to hammock camping, but I have never logged on.....

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/08/12 04:50 AM

If using a hammock, there is always the Snugpak under blanket, which can be used in conjunction with a centre zip sleeping bag such as as the Snugpak Special Forces 1,2 or Combo.

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/08/12 05:31 AM

Quote:
For myself, I'd love to find a reasonably-priced sleeping bag that is fairly warm and stores down pretty small. My research into the market indicates that I can have two of those three things, but I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.

The higher loft down bags will normally compress down to half the size of a synthetic bag and can weigh half the weight but normally cost 2-4 times the price.

The trick is to get the down bag on sale. You might even find them at unusual retail outlets.

I have picked up a couple of excellent Vango Down Bags (2 and 3 season bags) at half their RRP i.e the price range for a good synthetic of a similar temperature specification.

Keep an eye out for the down bag bargains.

The local Tesco supermarket chain over here in the UK, carries a cheap Down Bag for around $60 but with some caveats. Its a narrow bag suitable really up to a 40 inch chest and would be comfort rated to around 5 Degrees Celsius or 40F so really a 2 season bag. It is small and compact though and almost competes with something like a Vango Venom 300, which normally costs 3 times as much with its 650 fill power (UK) or 700 fill power (US). Weight is similar to the Vango but the Vango will get you another season for the extra $15 it cost me.

Edit - I've also heard that the Tesco down bag has occasionally been on sale for less than $30. But unfortunately will be no good for me as the bag is just to small. blush

Posted by: widget

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/09/12 02:31 AM

I have one of the miltary sleep systems, MSS. As others have said, very heavy and bulky. The Gore-Tex bivy cover is great, as long as it comes to you in servicable condition. The system is not something you are going to want to pack very far, too heavy.
I mostly use mine only for car camping. I di use the GT bivy on outings that I use a tarp instead of a tent though.

The price is good, but if you look around, I have seen them as low as $120, new in the packaging. That way you are sure of the condition.

One more thing, since this is a military item and there ae those that will buy anything military, that also means there are imitations out there. The genuine system is made by Tennier Industries.
Posted by: Pete

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/09/12 11:51 PM

if you are car camping, or sleeping in the backyard in an emergency, then any good sleeping bag from an outdoors store (or even K-Mart) should work. Just check the temp rating. If you expect to sleep at freezing temps, get one rated down to -10 degrees.

the issue of bulk and weight comes up if you are backpacking the gear. at that stage anything bulky is a huge hassle. I use a good goose down bag for those purposes. More expensive, but much better for reducing weight and bulk. Remember to keep your down bag very dry, or you will be an unhappy and cold camper :-)

Pete2
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/11/12 04:21 AM

I purchased an MSS mostly because a sleeping bag and shelter was one part of my gear I've been neglecting for too long and I wanted to get something that is well known and reliable but also inexpensive.

I don't go camping or hiking often enough to justify spending so much money on smaller and lighter gear -- it's what I can afford and it works, so I'll deal with the weight for now.

I have mine set up in a Hellcat style Alice setup (Alice pack and frame with Molle straps, kidney pad and MSS carrier).

Don't forget a good groundpad, and keep in mind the extreme cold end of the rating is for 4 hours sleep and also assumes you're wearing polypro base layer + cap. It's not going to be comfortable but you'll be alive...

Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/11/12 04:59 PM

+1 pad. I'm getting the insulated 4" one.
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 12/12/12 10:13 AM

Save up your pennies and get a Kifaru Slick Bag. They come rated at +40F, +20F, 0F, and -20F and they make a wide model. The bag scrunches down to about the size of a volleyball and the -20F bag weighs under 4lbs. while the 40F bag is under 2lbs.

It's not cheap but I've found it to be pretty bulletproof and should last long enough to justify the cost. You can wear lug sole boots while sleeping in it and not hurt the bag at all.

I use my Kifaru for both hammock and tent camping and so far so good. Highly recommend this bag to anyone.
Posted by: comms

Re: SLEEPING BAGS - 01/06/13 05:21 AM

Hammock.
I have a ENO single nest. I really like it but as a side sleeper by nature and living in the desert, it doesn't get used much. But I like it.

Sleeping bag.
If you are wide in the middle obviously stay away from mummy bags. My favorite bag lately has been a Big Agnes and I also have a big agnes insulated inflatable pad to fit in it.

If you want to be really versatile, I did this...I bought the Thermarest Tech Blanket, extra large size. It is essentially a SUPER poncho liner. It is by far the warmest blanket I own. The Tech Blanket has snaps so it can be folded, snapped and you have (IMO) a 35-40* bag. The bottom has a draw cord to cinch up for a foot box. There is an additional buy for a Thermarest fitted sheet that you put over an inflatable sleeping pad then it also has snaps that mate to the Tech Blanket. So you have a modular sleep system. So I use my Big agnes insulate pad for that too. If you had a silk sleeping bag liner, this would be hard to beat for anything but wet conditions.