Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift

Posted by: bacpacjac

Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/02/12 01:56 PM

Tasha, if you're reading this, this is not the post you are looking for. wink (DD is an ETS member too.)

My DD (23 yo), DS (Cub Scout, will be 10 yo) and nephew (Air Cadet, 13 yo) are planning a survival weekend this summer. They're going to spend a few days in the bush in my cousin's back 40, probably in July.

The weather for this particular trip should be hot, with temps in the 20Cs - 40Cs. Rain and wind may be a factor. They'll be in the bush with no obvious source of drinking water, but lots of building and fire materials. Of course, having a campfire is going to be very weather dependant, but generally speaking, the ares they'll be in is very wet.

They're all eager campers so this isn't likely to be their last outting together minus the parentals.

With that adventure in mind, I'd put together a little care package for them as a Christmas gift. They've each got their own packs with various supplies so I'm not not looking to outfit the with PSKs, just a few nice to have group supplies, that they use on this and future outtings.

Here's what I'm thinking:

-I've alresdy bought each of the boys their own cheapo 2 man tent (DD already has a solo tent) but I'm thinking I'd rather get them a tarp or GI ponchos, along with some paracord so they can practice making shelters,'which is one of their stated goals
-an esbit stove and a cook pot
-an LED lantern (We want to staying away from liquid/gas fuels - when unsupervised by an experience adult - until the boys get a little more mature)
-GMRS radios

Any other fun and useful suggestioons?
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/02/12 02:16 PM

Jackie... hot weather and open tarp/poncho down here needs mosquito netting...bow saw to prepare shelter poles and firewood...might introduce them to a #10 can twig stove...shovel if they are to the point of a slit trench for latrine...pliers or multi tool to handle hot pots..ground cloth...kero lantern with citronella for bugs...
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/02/12 04:33 PM

A good headlamp.
Topo chart (VFR) (@local airports) of the area & a compass
Edible and/or medicinal plant pocket guides (any bookstore)
A folding hand trowel (drain trenches around tents, catholes)

I'll add more later if I think of anything else not already mentioned.

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/02/12 04:49 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys!

Mosquito netting is the first thing that jumps out at me. The land they'll be using for this trip is almost swampy so the bugs are pretty thick in the summer. Mosquito netting will help keep their spirits up and the gsuge closer to the fun factor than the suck factor.

Wildman, we're going to avoid new wild edibles. They make me nervous as an adult and even more so for the kiddos on their own. There's bunches of mushrooms in this patch of woods, and I don't want them experimenting.

They each have their own survival kits, and have all the basics covered. I'm thinking of this kit more in terms of additional comforts for the group. Topo map, ground sheet and shovel/trowel are going in. I realy like the bow saw suggestion too. I'll be easier than just using their hands/feet/knives but safer than an ax shared amoung three kids with ADHD.

Les, you reminded me that DS and I made a few soup can hobo stoves this past winter. We both usually carry one but adding a bigger one to the group kit is a great idea. They'll be better off practicing their campfire skills than they will lighting an esbit tab with a bic. There will be lots of wood and as long as we don't get a binch of rain, they shouldn't have a hard time find finding standing dead wood that'll light. Maybe I'll throw in a pack of esbit pucks with it just in case.
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/03/12 11:57 AM

Give them each one different water purification, fire starting and cooking method; they can try them all and share them around for experience.

I like the compass and map idea. Orienteering and night navigation/hiking were two of my niche leadership contributions at regional/state cub scout events and camps.

Basic hand tools to make bushcraft furniture.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/03/12 01:34 PM

possible inexpensive stocking stuffer for the little guys..if you are just heating water or soups, these new surplus Swiss Ranger stoves were on line for about 2/$20...the feed hole has been opened up to accept a Trangia as well as Sterno... Esbit/hexamine tabs and twigs work...nests with a cup with very efficient heating surface, and a spun aluminum bottle with cork stopper...

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/04/12 04:18 AM

Is there something along the lines of travel game multipack that they would interested in? I know 6.5 to 7 months can bring about considerable changes in the "what's cool and what's not" category.

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/04/12 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Give them each one different water purification, fire starting and cooking method; they can try them all and share them around for experience.

I like the compass and map idea. Orienteering and night navigation/hiking were two of my niche leadership contributions at regional/state cub scout events and camps.

Basic hand tools to make bushcraft furniture.

Great suggestions, Mark. Trying out a few different ways of doing things would be great for them. They're focused on shelter and fire right now, but water and food are high piorities too. There will be water, they're just going to have to work for it. :-)

i like the map and compass suggestion too. They know the are well so it'll be perfect for some navigqtion practice.

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/04/12 11:07 AM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
possible inexpensive stocking stuffer for the little guys..if you are just heating water or soups, these new surplus Swiss Ranger stoves were on line for about 2/$20...the feed hole has been opened up to accept a Trangia as well as Sterno... Esbit/hexamine tabs and twigs work...nests with a cup with very efficient heating surface, and a spun aluminum bottle with cork stopper...

A volcano stove is on MY wish kist, Les. :-)

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/04/12 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Is there something along the lines of travel game multipack that they would interested in? I know 6.5 to 7 months can bring about considerable changes in the "what's cool and what's not" category.

Downtime entertainment is a great idea, MoBOB. Thanks!
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/04/12 01:09 PM

there are some relatively inexpensive, lightweight hammocks on the market. A poncho over a hammock is a flexible alternative to tent camping, recommended by renowned outdoors-man Che Guevara in his "On Guerilla Warfare" .

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/05/12 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: wildman800

Edible and/or medicinal plant pocket guides (any bookstore)

I take back a the blanket statemetpnt about not wanting them experimenting with wild edibles. Dandilions, clover and sumac are plentiful in this area, and easily identifiable, so I'm going to print off some recipes for them for those. I'm not going to tempt them with much more though.

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/05/12 10:54 AM

Hammocks.... interesting idea. The ground could be saturated if we get a bunch of rain, making hammocks ideal... hmmm.....

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/10/12 10:41 PM

I just cannablized my office BIB (going on mat leave soon and have enough supplies between the office and my Jeep) and the extra gear bag to start putting this kit together.

Just as a reminder, they each already have their own kits and survival packs, including all the basics. This kit is intended to be a care package, to suppliment their group supplies.

So far we have:

-FAK (AMK something or other in alsok bag, with mylar blanket)
-topo map of the area they'll be in
-compass
-military canteen and canteen cup
-water purification tabs
-hobo stove
-esbit stove and tabs
-magnifying glass
-1 package of TinderQuick
-film canester of cotton balls
-5X7 blue tarp
-mosquito netting
-50 ft paracord
-sierra saw
-3 emergency ponchos (blue, yellow and orange)
-4 chem lights
-deck of cards

Not bad for not spending a penny. I feel a little like the host of "Survivor" giving the winning tribe a reward. Hopefully it'll get their wheeels turning a bit as they plan this adventure of theirs.

Thanks for all the great ideas. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

BTW, my little niece and nephew, who will be 5 and 3 respectively, and who will be stuck at home with the grown-ups, are getting their own shelter building kit - complete with bed sheets, clothes pegs, head lamps, chem lights and coupons to redeem for an adult with a length of rope. They can build shelters all weekend long too!

Posted by: Aussie

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/12/12 05:28 AM

If its swampy, then some kind of mosquito coils or citronella candles may be useful.

For fun, some marshmallows for toasting are always a hit.

Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift - 12/15/12 02:47 PM

Care package number one is being delivered today. It's a survival weekend/day hike/power failure care package for my 23 yo step-daughter, who's living on her own for the first time about 3.5 hrs away. Winter is predicted to be harsh in her neck of the woods and since my Grandma always said that "as long as you can brew a cup of tea, you'll be ok", stuffed into a soft-sided cooler are:

-a small knapsack
-an AMK FAK with 1p Heat Sheet
-and esbit stove and fuel tabs
-a canester of sterno
-a bic lighter
-an LED headlamp and batteries
-4 large chem lights
-a box of her favorite tea
-some chem hand warmers
-emergency blanket (wool on one side and nylon the other)
-gift certificate for her local grocery store

My 13 yo nephew will get his next week. He is focused more on shelter building, so his (so far) kit has:

-sierra saw
-multi-tool
-plastic painters sheeting
-5 X 8 blue tarp
-about 50 ft paracord
-military folding shovel
-4 large chem lights
-military canteen and canteen cup