Primitive Fire Starting

Posted by: Vogeler

Primitive Fire Starting - 10/06/12 02:03 AM

Any of you folks have any experience with fire drills/ bows? What are the best materials to use for the drill and fireboard? I thought I read somewhere that cattail stalks are good for that.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Primitive Fire Starting - 10/06/12 02:17 AM

As much as I like this web site I will recommend another.If you are having to use a primitive skill such as that you were not prepared or equipped.It is nice to have an understanding of friction fire but do not plan on relying on it.You should check out www.bushcraftusa.com.

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: Vogeler

Re: Primitive Fire Starting - 10/06/12 02:42 AM

Hey John thanks for the link. I have a full kit with several different methods for starting fires, I just thought I'd bounce it off the folks here. I'll check out bushcraftusa too though.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Primitive Fire Starting - 10/06/12 03:29 PM

Mature cattail heads are highly useful as tinder. I have used them to catch the tiniest of sparks, such as old school flint and steel or a discarded Bic lighter that was out of fuel.

"Make a bowdrill fire" is still on my bucket list. But my first attempts led me to immediately add spare Bics to every jacket, pack, and vehicle that I owned. The drilling and cursing was pretty good cardio though, and the blisters healed after a while.

That's the extent of my expertise. I'm sure there are other sites on the web that provide exhaustive detail.

Good luck!
Posted by: KenK

Re: Primitive Fire Starting - 10/06/12 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
"Make a bowdrill fire" is still on my bucket list. But my first attempts led me to immediately add spare Bics to every jacket, pack, and vehicle that I owned. The drilling and cursing was pretty good cardio though, and the blisters healed after a while.

On my list too ... though I've never gotten around to it. I rely on sparkers and lighters so far. Based on your experience I may remove it from my bucket list :-)
Posted by: widget

Re: Primitive Fire Starting - 10/06/12 04:04 PM

Yucca stalk is the best. Cottonwood root also makes a good fireboard. Seep willow is also good for the hand drill. I have used some other woods but I know the best is yucca stalk.

You can sometimes find a downed cottonwood in a wash and the roots are great for the hearth board. The bark of the cottonwood is also great for the little tinder birdnest, takes an ember real well.

Have fun!
Posted by: Javelin315

Re: Primitive Fire Starting - 10/21/12 02:34 AM

Tried a bow-drill made from dogwood. It took several attempts. I did finally get the knack of it.