Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/05/12 06:48 PM

- around a bic type lighter
- around an old credit card
- Around a water bottle
- Around the top bit of a Walking stick
-Along the side of a hard box
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/05/12 07:06 PM

You pretty much covered it. But I try to have some everywhere I can put it.
Posted by: Vogeler

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/06/12 01:46 AM

How do you wrap it so it doesn't stick? Or does it just stick? If that made any sense at all...
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/08/12 02:26 AM

It sticks to itself.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/08/12 11:21 AM

Around a bobby pin, leaving the top "eye" open so it can be used as an attachment point. Not sure where I saw it but probably here on ETS Works great!
Posted by: Vogeler

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/08/12 01:50 PM

Ok, another n00b question: when you unwind it from the original roll and wrap it around whatever you decide to use, does it lose any of it's "stickiness"?
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/08/12 02:48 PM

repeat on an SF trick for the new members...36" of 550 cord, duct tape one end (use extra tape) to a Bic, and the other tied to a Swiss Army Knife (I use a Farmer)... loop behind belt, and pull both implement attached running ends thru, place in pocket...you'll have it when you need it
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/08/12 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Vogeler
How do you wrap it so it doesn't stick? Or does it just stick? If that made any sense at all...

Use gaffer's tape instead of duct tape. gaffer's tape is very similar to duct tape except that gaffer's tape can be lifted and reused a few times and does not leave a residue on whatever you adhere it to. The only gotcha is that a lot of gaffer's tape for sale is not very good quality. Buy a reputable brand like 3M.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/08/12 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
Use gaffer's tape instead of duct tape. gaffer's tape is very similar to duct tape except that gaffer's tape can be lifted and reused a few times and does not leave a residue on whatever you adhere it to. The only gotcha is that a lot of gaffer's tape for sale is not very good quality. Buy a reputable brand like 3M.

Word! Gaffer's tape is also available in low-temperature versions that will retain more stickiness in cold weather.

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/10/12 06:48 PM

A bit of electrical tape around a zipper pull or two
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/14/12 08:45 PM

Wrapping around a ski pole is probably considered just a variation of the "walking stick" trick, I guess... wink

My favorite is gorilla tape. No offence to "gaffa" or 3m super stuff or any other good tape out there that I haven't tried - the instant I bought gorilla tape my quest for the holy tape was over.
Posted by: W4XEN

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/15/12 04:20 AM

After reading this post, I went ahead and wrapped some duct tape around my trekking poles. I've been meaning to do it but this reminded me to stop procrastinating and do it. I didn't measure out the lengths on each pole, but I'm assuming somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 feet each. There are other places I can put duct tape in my gear and will do so in the future. I just haven't because I've included a small roll in my BOB already. There may be the chance I don't have access to my bag but have the poles handy and bazinga! Prepared.

I'd also like to make note of what I also did with my BOB knife. It's a Bear Grylls Gerber fixed blade and seems like a wonderful knife. I got the smooth edge version and not the serrated. I've never been a fan of half fine edge and half serrated. I know there are other people that feel different and I don't mean to spark debate. I'm just a fine edge guy myself. ANYWAY, I took the liberty to wrap jute around the handle. Since that knife comes with a ferro rod for sparking, I figure I might as well include some tinder too. It's a very comfortable grip now. I also put some around the sheath. Once I feel like I'm at a place to temporarily rest from the BOB assembly, I'll post it on here.

Making dual or more use out of stuff is great. Especially for me since I do the minimalist hiking thing. Thanks MH for the reminder post.

Side note: I've worked with gaffer tape before. Doesn't seem as sticky to me as duct tape.

Side side note: The Cold Steel SRK in my sig is my main take everywhere knife. Bear Grylls is primarily for the BOB.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 10/15/12 05:31 AM

One comment I'll make is that I've seen it pointed out, quite correctly, that often re-rolled duct tape doesn't stick very well once you go to use it. However, I've not had this problem with Gorilla Tape. It seems to work fine when rolled around a CC. YMMV. Best to try it to avoid an unpleasant surprise.

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 02/08/13 08:15 PM

I wound some electrical tape around a water bottle and washed it. Haven't yet checked if it will still re-stick
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 02/08/13 10:03 PM

Yep.. I love Gorilla Tape. After I used it once, it became my gold standard in Duct Tape.
Posted by: yee

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 02/09/13 08:07 PM

I too use Gorilla Tape exclusively.

I can't remember where I found this nugget but apparently the best way to judge the quality of a duct tape is to assess its THICKNESS. With two rolls of tape of the same length, the higher quality roll is the one with the widest radial length.

Conway Yee
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 02/10/13 03:18 AM

The SRK is a fine knife for the money. I am currwently field testing it against a similar model. Looked at the Bear Gryls fixed blade through the package and the serrations caused it to be dropped from consideration. I wasn't aware that they made a plain edge version. Quick question: I have never watched the man, how does he get so grimy? Do they artfully paint the dirt onto him for his photos?
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 02/12/13 02:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkP_WPAz6o
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 02/12/13 06:48 PM

now why didn't I think about that?

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 04/25/13 04:43 PM

Under the lid of a rubbermaid container...keep 2' on each one
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 04/25/13 09:18 PM

Just bought my first trekking pole. Duct tape being applied tonight. Thanks for the idea!
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Other great places to store a bit of Duct Tape - 05/01/13 04:07 PM

I use a length of wooden pencil with tap wrapped around it. The pencil weighs little, is useful for tinder, and is always there for its intended function. In most cases I cut the pencil down so that it is nearly flush with the edge of the tape on one side and just long enough to sharpen a point onto the other end.