Knife Sheath

Posted by: usmc0311

Knife Sheath - 09/29/12 02:36 PM

I have a question I hope can be answered I have a SOG Seal Pup , I wont go into how much I love this knife ,other than to say I love it , I also carry a Leatherman and I use both of these knives almost daily.
Both ar fitted on the same sheath , which is the problem , it is stock sheath for the SOG ,it hasnt held up well , I like the fact that the sheath holds the SOG tight ,but the cheap cloth material on the outside is so worn it just doeant hold up well any longer , I was hoping someone could tell me what/where to buy another one ,a quality one, I not smart enought to make one with leather products or what not?
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: Knife Sheath - 09/29/12 03:48 PM

you might consider having a custom kydex shealth(s) made. there are many folks who offer this service.

here's one i came across yesterday (i know nothing about the maker, just sharing the thread link):

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showth...your-order-here
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Knife Sheath - 09/29/12 04:05 PM

I saw the sheath on the SOG website. It looks like a super-thick nylon. Is that the same sheath you have? Are you saying that material is falling apart on you?

http://sogknives.com/store/M37.html

By the way, that sheath is very similar to the sheath that comes with the Ka-Bar Becker BK2.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Knife Sheath - 09/29/12 04:59 PM

are you saying a sog seal pup knife and a leatherman knife?
or
are you saying a sog seal pup knife and a leatherman multi-tool?

my kydex knife sheath has elongated holes on both side of the sheath.

similar to this:

kydex sheath

i have my leatherman multi-tool in its own nylon sheath attached with velcro bands through the belt loop of the leatherman's sheath, through the elongated holes in the knife sheath, and then secured on the back of the knife sheath.

makes for one nice, tight unit.
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Knife Sheath - 09/29/12 10:17 PM

Jeff can make you anything you want in Kydex or leather. His sheaths are top notch in the Busse community. He has made several sheaths for me in single, double and triple back, awesome work.

https://sites.google.com/site/rainwalkercreations/
Posted by: barbarian

Re: Knife Sheath - 09/30/12 01:57 AM

You might also google "specopsbrand." They make some very high quality nylon/kydex hybrid sheaths, that have the pocket you're looking for.
Posted by: usmc0311

Re: Knife Sheath - 09/30/12 03:14 PM

The sheath on the SOG site is actually nicer , but yes that nylon on the top wears down if you wear the sheath daily as I do! The Leatherman is a multi tool and it fits in the pockect on the sheath, very handy ,because I usa both on a daily basis! A custom Sheath looks like the best idea , I dont really like the nylon as it wears down and the threads get worn and "pulls" loose, I suppose if you dont use it daily it would ok ,but I wear mine daily!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Knife Sheath - 09/30/12 11:05 PM

You might try leather, although I wore out the leather sheath on my beloved Buck Pathfinder 105. It did take about thirty years, and I didn't even wear it daily. Maybe kydex?
Posted by: boatman

Re: Knife Sheath - 09/30/12 11:13 PM

Check out www.godspeedtactical.com for kydex sheaths with pouches and add ons.I don't have any of his stuff....YET.I am working on ammending that situation.....

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: yee

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/01/12 03:32 AM

I have been carrying around a Leatherman Core. I am currently using the original sheath which is now beginning to fail ( there is about a 1cm crack along the bottom edge.

I looked for a replacement sheath from Leatherman but the sheath has been discontinued (replaced by a nylon/leather sheath). I would prefer a leather sheath, perhaps one for a folder (4.5" long). Where can I find a cost effective replacement?

Thanks.
Conway Yee
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/01/12 07:50 PM

How about a home-made solution, in the spirit of field expedient problem-solving-
The army sere school instructors website once had a lot of words about improvising sheaths, using available materials like conveyor belting and duct tape, which words I can no longer find.
I have become disenchanted with leather sheaths after a randall #1 was corroded by acids in the material. Kydex seems clunky, nylon wears quickly. So I decided to try wood, with blade retention by imbedded magnets. Woodcraft seems more forgiving than leather craft-I use a chisel to gouge out a pocket for the knife in a piece of oak or cedar, epoxy a neodymium magnet in a shallow indentation near the throat of the scabbard, cut a channel from the blade pocket to the toe for drainage, and glue another piece of wood to the first, shaping the exterior on a belt sander and with a draw knife. In extremis, I can shave tinder off my scabbard, not possible with kydex.
Posted by: Quietly_Learning

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/01/12 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: nursemike

...So I decided to try wood, with blade retention by imbedded magnets. Woodcraft seems more forgiving than leather craft-I use a chisel to gouge out a pocket for the knife in a piece of oak or cedar, epoxy a neodymium magnet in a shallow indentation near the throat of the scabbard, cut a channel from the blade pocket to the toe for drainage, and glue another piece of wood to the first, shaping the exterior on a belt sander and with a draw knife. In extremis, I can shave tinder off my scabbard, not possible with kydex.

Sounds like a great project. If possible PLEASE post pics!

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/02/12 12:23 PM

[img]http://s1357.photobucket.com/albums/q749/nursemike44/[/img]

Photos courtesy of MFocazio's lucid instructions on using photobucket.

Bowie style blade was forged from a discarded file, handle is fashioned from a broken axe handle, brass guard from the hardware store: sheath is cedar.

Tomahawk was fashioned by stock reduction from a shingle hatchet.

Smaller blades were fashioned from a discarded carpenter saw blade, handles from cedar and scrap oak.

All blades were annealed, heat-treated in forge, quenched in safflower oil, tempered in a toaster oven.

Homemade forge, homemade anvil. Pictures to follow.
Posted by: Vogeler

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/06/12 01:50 AM

Now that's a pretty cool idea! I'll have to try the wood sheath and magnet trick! Quite a few handmade Scandinavian knives use wood sheaths but don't use the magnets.

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/06/12 03:22 AM

thanks, v-harbor freight and american science and surplus carry little neodymium magnets for cheap. A more skilled wood worker than I could sculpt storage space for a fire steel or such on the surface of the sheath.

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/06/12 03:20 PM

Thanks Nursemike for the pics and info.
It looks like you have a fun DYI project using around the house tools. I'll look forward to your additional pictures.

How strongly does the magnet hold? Are you able to turn the sheath upside-down with the knife staying stationary?

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/06/12 09:01 PM

The bowie stays in the sheath inverted. I have reservations about inverted carry for bfk's: everyone's knife book suggests its useful in combat, iirc, but also recommends wiring the knife into the sheath for safety. I generally put the bigger blade in a possibles bag (preferred terminology for 'man purse') or rucksack rather than wear it in the belt or necklace. I am working on a baldric sheath for a puma white hunter-not sure why.

the smaller knives will be neckers in inverted configuration with one or two magnets, or fixed blade pocket knives, very lightweight blades and grip.

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/08/12 05:39 PM

[img]http://s1357.photobucket.com/albums/q749/nursemike44/portable%20forge%20and%20shop/[/img]

photos of portable forge, shop, and boneless breast of chicken.

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/08/12 11:00 PM

Thinking of the bartering thread, how about an old file for some of that grilled chicken?
If anyone else would like a file too bring mashed potatoes. laugh

Thanks for the additional pictures Nursemike.
Great looking set-up. You have a amazing looking homebrew forge.

It is hard to tell from the pictures but is that duct work to bring in more oxygen?
Are there plans available for the forge?

I wasn't thinking of hanging the knife inverted but wondering how strong the magnets would hold so that I wouldn't have to worry about it falling out. It looks like I wouldn't have to worry.

Thanks again for your answers. There are many threads on the latest gadget but as always knowledge is more important then any gadget.

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/09/12 01:29 AM

I was worried about the magnets, too, and will probably add a backup loop of some sort. There are lots of blacksmith resources on the internet, anvilfire being my favorite. You can find lots of forge plans there. My version was focused on portability, cuz I was living nomadic for a bit. The aluminum foil dryer vent is attached to the axle hole in the tire rim, and feeds air from a hairdryer to the base of the fire pit. Truth is, I can hold the dryer in my hand and achieve forging heat in a charcoal grill, campfire on the ground, or cast iron stove.

In time, I will build a masonry forge with a longer firebox with air feed from the side, so I can work with longer pieces of steel. I get my steel from home depot, flea markets, scrap metal dealers, roadside finds, and by bartering for chicken grin

Thanks for your interest. Metalwork has freed me from the lust to purchase other guys knives, and opened up a potential income stream doing light ornamental work for friends.

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/10/12 05:24 AM

Thanks for the link Nursemike. I'm working my way through the faq articles. Very informative.
Posted by: yee

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/10/12 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: yee
I have been carrying around a Leatherman Core.

I would prefer a leather sheath, perhaps one for a folder (4.5" long). Where can I find a cost effective replacement?

Just a followup. I decided to purchase the SMALL horizontal/vertical leather sheath from LL Bean. It is, however, a bit more expensive than I planned. I was just barely able to force the Leatherman Core into the sheath. With time, the leather should stretch out properly.

Conway Yee
Posted by: Vogeler

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/22/12 07:28 PM

Good stuff. I tried to get enough heat for forging but didn't quite get there. Time to try a hairdryer!
Posted by: woody87

Re: Knife Sheath - 10/24/12 09:19 AM

I would definitely recommend having someone custom make one for you. Obviously there are loads out there you can buy but with the number of craftsmen about, I don't see why you would choose to buy a generic sheath! I'm sure you'll find many offers if you look locally in your yellow pages or something. There might even be a few in this forum. This place that does Bushcraft Knives recommended me a few when I sent them an email, really helpful guys.

Hope that helps!