Hiking Boots

Posted by: Vogeler

Hiking Boots - 08/29/12 03:23 PM

What do you guys recommend for good hiking boots? My last pair have fallen apart.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/29/12 07:12 PM

Depends entirely upon conditions, but for "normal" situations - relatively dry, no snow or ice, no technical climbing, and a pack weight of less than twenty-five pounds or so, a good pair of running shoes does it for me. If the terrain is rocky and rough, I often go to a mid-weight, leather and fabric hiking boot boot. The most versatile is an approach shoe - for me they work for general hiking, bike riding (I still pedal in old style cage pedals) and lower grade rock climbing.

Stay away from high tops. They constrict your muscles and provide unnecessary weight. They are worthwhile in a work environment where you are swinging picks and shovels, etc.

The most important characteristic of any boot is fit. Your best bet is going to a good outdoor store and getting expert sizing there.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/29/12 08:13 PM

I've had very good luck with L.L.Bean Cresta boots. I prefer the leather version over the nylon version, but they'd probably perform the same.

I recently bought L.L.Bean's "Waterproof Trail Model Hikers, Mid-Cut", for daily running around, and they are OK, but not as comfortable as the Cresta boots.

I find Goretex lined boots make my feet hotter & sweatier, but when out in the rain or morning dew regular nylon boots are almost unusable (my feet get REALLY soaked).
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/29/12 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
snip...

The most important characteristic of any boot is fit. Your best bet is going to a good outdoor store and getting expert sizing there.

There is the key right there.

The shoes/boots that work for my low arch, low volume feet (no matter how wonderfully thought out and constructed) are WRONG for people with a differently shaped foot.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/29/12 09:50 PM

Since 1999, I've put countless miles on multiple pairs of these Lowas. Mostly hiking in Shenandoah National Park on rocky trails and around DC. These are also my winter boot - coupled with Gore-tex gaiters (and Smartwool socks) these keep my feet comfy and dry in two feet of snow and blizzards. I took advantage of a recent sale to keep another pair in reserve. REI should be having another 20% members-only coupon in the next month or two.

Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boots - Women's

http://www.rei.com/product/796065/lowa-renegade-gtx-mid-hiking-boots-womens

But feet and boots vary so highly recommend trying on several pair with the socks you plan on wearing. And wise to carry a blister kit on the first big hike, just in case you made a mistake.

Good luck!
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/30/12 12:43 AM

Right boot for the environment and job, there is no one boot for everything.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/30/12 01:51 AM

Quote:
What do you guys recommend for good hiking boots? My last pair have fallen apart.

Boots that fit and you don't notice! grin There are shops that will allow you to try out various pairs.

I've had good results recently (very comfy) with Rockport Valverde II for general use but these are now virtually impossible to find. I bought them about 8 years ago and now have finally now started to use them in the last year. Previously I had used some Berghaus Alto Treks purchased in the 1990s. (think Brooks bicycle saddle equivalent) I still have a pair of more rigid soled Berghaus's still in the box dating from 1994. smile

So I'm currently out of date as to what is available out there. But I will still stick with Leather rather than a fabric boot blush

If you do find a pair of boots you don't notice after a month or so, go back a purchase a couple of other pairs! Hopefully it will take you 10 years before beginning the search for the boot holy grail once more.
Posted by: widget

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/30/12 05:13 AM

I use Asolo hiking boots that are not Gore-Tex. I cannot hike in Gore-Tex boots, they cause my feet to sweat and hurt. Gore-Tex and the waterproof, breathable properties are effected by dirt and mud. So, G-T boots will not breathe at all when dirty or muddy and any percieved advantage is lost.

There are places that Gore-Tex shoes and boots are convenient, like in the city on rainy days or places where they will stay clean.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/30/12 07:43 AM

One more thing about hiking foot gear - insoles are important too. I often substitute aftermarket insoles for the original. It makes a difference.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/30/12 11:47 AM

I have two pair of military boots. A hot weather pair for warmer times and an intermediate cold weather pair for when it is cold or I want water proof. Both Bellevilles.

They are fairly heavy, especially the IWC, but pretty comfy.

A big advantage is they can often be found new on eBay for <$50 shipped.

I need boots with ankle support. Otherwise my ankles hurt.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/30/12 01:01 PM

My feet have been happy in Vasques.

The last 3 pair fit my feet and sock system.

Your results may vary.

Other- I found a recommendation on this board awhile back for White's work boots. I bought a pair of firefighter boots and while they are awesomely built boots, I've had difficulty with toe box space which wasn't apparent at the store. I've walked up to 9 miles in them but they take a lot more attention to socks & application of moleskin than my hiking boots.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/30/12 04:49 PM

Vasque, Lowa, Scarpa, Salomon have all worked well for me. Fit and features make a difference and you need to find the ones that work for you.
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/30/12 05:28 PM

Uh oh. I may be the one that recommended the White's boots. They are great in "ankle breaker" country, but they are heavy and take a loooong time to really break in. For easier country I use my Merrells. The other thing about White's boots is that the sales person taking the order has to really know what they are doing when they take the measurements. Otherwise, they are back and forth to the factory a few times.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/30/12 08:20 PM

I'm a Merrell fan. They hold up well, provide good support and don't cost and arm and a leg.
Posted by: Jolt

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/31/12 04:01 PM

I'm from the school of "boots are overkill for most hiking" and prefer minimal shoes like the Merrell "barefoot" series. Really the only time I wear boots anymore is in the winter when snow/cold require it. There is something to be said for being able to feel what you're about to put your weight on and having free ankle movement--prevents all manner of stumbles. That said, if you're not used to being barefoot or wearing non-supportive shoes, you do need to be careful to transition gradually to avoid injuries.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Hiking Boots - 08/31/12 05:32 PM

On the other hand, I'm from the school of loving big boots and carelessly careening through, well, anything smile

For hiking, I have an old pair of all-leather Merrell's that have treated me fairly well ... originally I had some issues with width, but over time they've broken in well. I use these summer & winter with good results.

I had planned on replacing them earlier this year, potentially with something a little lighter (my Merrell's have a thick-ish lining) and that would treat me better on the declines, but wasn't able to find anything that fit well enough. Maybe I'll start looking again next year, but at this stage I'm unwilling to move to a pair of boots that doesn't fit me relatively well from the get-go (width is usually my issue).

Even around town I prefer to wear leather combat-style boots pretty much year round.
Posted by: comms

Re: Hiking Boots - 09/01/12 02:55 AM

it depends on the need. I have blown out 2 new pairs of tactical boots this year, Converse and Bates M8. I just bought Under Armour Velstez this week. The most 'sneaker' of my boots but the fit is the best. I don't think they will hold up more than a couple months. We will see.

I just bought a set of Red Wing 899 boots last month. Sort of like a 8" old style combat boot. I actually, no seriously, had to break them in. Like wear a half day, rotate days, for a week before they didn't kill my feet. Now I don't want to take them off. They fit you in the store by computer. I already knew exactly what my foot dimensions are and their system nailed it. So I trust what it says. Check them out online, they can fit pretty much every need. They are Made in USA and have a lifetime guarantee on laces, broken eyelets and tears. (for tears they stitch, not replace). You can also resole the boots.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Hiking Boots - 09/06/12 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Right boot for the environment and job, there is no one boot for everything.

Currently I am working in the Desert Southwest, in terrain very much like a certain 'stan. So much so, that folks from the John Wayne School for Boys come visit before deploying.

Having said that, I am REALLY LOVING my Danner 453 GTX boots. Less expensive than the Danner Combat Hiker, and really getting the job done for this old fat man, who just can't hump the hills like I used to.

Danner 453

Danner Combat Hiker
Posted by: LED

Re: Hiking Boots - 09/06/12 08:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Dagny

I agree. I've put lots of hard miles on the Lowa Renegade GTX and Lowa Zephyr Desert boots. Fantastic.
Posted by: Vogeler

Re: Hiking Boots - 09/06/12 02:56 PM

Thanks for all the info guys!
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Hiking Boots - 09/06/12 03:33 PM

I am late to the party in this thread. However choosing boots is more complicated then deciding on a brand/model that someone else simply suggests. There are many varibles that you need to contemplate even before going to try on any hiking shoe or boot.

These variables include (but not limited to): light day hiking or multi-day hiking? Normal expected terrain to be hiked? Established easy trails or mountain trails? Your own body weight. Average weight to be carried on person and in your pack. Waterproof or non-waterproof boots? Hiking shoe or hiking boot and so on...

Take all these variables into consideration, you will soon realized that not one hiking shoe or boot can do all and that is why most avid experienced hikers have more then one type of boot. Myself, I have 5 different shoe/boot types however I find that a good pair of hiking shoes and a midweight hiking boot work for about 85% of my hiking needs. Of course, your needs and requirements are probably different then mine and the next person.