Large can alcohol stove?

Posted by: Eastree

Large can alcohol stove? - 08/21/12 08:40 PM

I've been playing around making soda can alcohol stoves. I'm going to make one with a pair of larger drink cans (the 23oz size -- like so many brands of canned teas these days).

Before I do, I'm wondering if anyone here has already done so, and if there's any reason not to spend my time on this project.

Some concerns I have are:
Is one stove design (such as double-wall versus 'penny' stove) better for larger versions?
It will use more fuel, I assume. Will the extra heat be a benefit over the smaller stoves, or will the greater fuel consumption be a detriment?

I appreciate all opinions and advice. Of course I plan to still make one to try here at home.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Large can alcohol stove? - 08/22/12 12:00 PM

I've never done the alcohol stoves but I've also heard of using ammo cans for stoves. Not sure if it's a wood-burn design or an alcohol one though.

Anyway, just another "big-boy" version of a DIY project.
Posted by: yee

Re: Large can alcohol stove? - 08/22/12 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
...I've also heard of using ammo cans for stoves. Not sure if it's a wood-burn design or an alcohol one though.

Every ammo can stove I've seen has been a wood burner.

Conway Yee
Posted by: Alex

Re: Large can alcohol stove? - 08/22/12 08:16 PM

AFAIK, an efficient alcohol stove must use the alcohol vaporizing method. With a physically larger stove you will need to apply additional efforts to preheat the stove so it starts vaporizing. I'm happy with the cat can stove design after trying several. Very simple to use, all in one, and quite efficient.

Playing with the reverse flow gasification wood stove design right now.

Why do you need a larger stove by the way (your goal)?
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Large can alcohol stove? - 08/22/12 08:24 PM

There is a guy in Maine who made an alcohol stove out of a Foster's can - that's big. He also currently makes them out of the tiny Red Bull cans. He has placed a ton of videos on YouTube regarding alcohol stoves. He goes by Tinny or minibulldesign

Standard Disclaimer.

My $.02
Posted by: Eastree

Re: Large can alcohol stove? - 08/23/12 03:00 AM

Thanks for the advice. I knew it could be done; I was wondering if there was any other feedback about the end result. I guess I'll just have to see wink

Originally Posted By: Alex
Why do you need a larger stove by the way (your goal)?

There's no goal, really. I have a couple large cans and decided to play around with them. A stove was my first thought.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Large can alcohol stove? - 08/23/12 03:58 PM

Eastree,

Go to HikinJim's blog Adventuresinstoving.com. Jim (a member here) is a VERY knowledgeable stover and has lots of information on every aspect of stoving. After you are done there use his links to get to the Zen ? site. They are very big on alcohol.

Respectfully,

Jerry