Preggo Prepper

Posted by: bacpacjac

Preggo Prepper - 07/30/12 11:19 PM

I'm not sure which forum this fits best in so, more, move away if you feel it's appropriate.

I've gone on a few camping trips with my son and our Scout group this summer, and was really looking forward to our 5 day trip to Georgian Bay this week. I didn't end up going on that trip after all because, as it turns out, I was pregnant during those earlier trips. They say that hindsight is 20/20 so, thought I'd start a thread on the the impact pregnancy is having on our preparedness mindset. Believe me, it's definitely having an impact.

Our last trip was mid-June, and I didn't yet know that I was pregnant. I was sick during the week leading up to the trip, but thought it was the stomach flu. I was a little concerned about the heat and the strain of canoe-tripping, but decided to press on, extra fluids in tow. The kids had a good time but it was not a fun trip for me. Not yet as big as a house, I managed to haul our gear and canoe, and do all the normal camp tasks, but I spent half the weekend throwing up and the other half wanting only to sleep while trying not to throw up. It wasn't pretty.

For the time being, I'm hanging up my hiking boots and concentrating on my health and getting ready for the new little one. Our son just turned 9 and my memory is a little foggy about the pregnancy days of the past. Not to mention that I wasn't a prepper back then. (That didn't happen until I was caught unprepared with a 1 month old during the East Coast Blackout of 2003.) My mind is spinning thinking about the physical realities of dealing with an emergency situation while pregnant and eventually, shiver, with a little one.

That's where this thread comes in. Being pregnant adds an entirely different dynamic to preparedness and I'm sure it's going to be an evolving process. As much as I'd like to just be a trooper and press on, laughing in the face of morning sickness and extreme fatigue, there are some adjustments required, as proven by my experience during those camping trips. Here's an initial list that I've come up with. I'm sure I've failed to think of something so I ask your help in thinking this through as we go along.

EDC now includes: anti-nausea meds, TUMS, extra water and snacks, feminine pads, extra unders and a bigger looser shirt and pair of drawstring pants, numbers for OBGYN and emerg clinic, toothbrush and toothpaste and copy of prescription for anti-nausea meds.

GHB now includes all of the above updates and prenatal vitamins, boost meal suppliment drink

BOB now includes all of the above updates and prenatal vitamins, boost meal suppliment drinks, body pillow

GHB and BOB are soon going to have to be adjusted with smaller, lighter packs....

Office Bug-in Kit now includes all of the above updates and prenatal vitamins, boost meal suppliment drink

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gone through this and I'd appreciate any input you may have to help me navigate the new path ahead. Thanks!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 01:03 AM

Congratulations!

I re-read Where There Is No Doctor, particularly the childbirth section, in the event I found myself providing those services for my wife.

In my book the number one thing to do is to make sure you have ways available to communicate. A cellphone that works, means to charge it, possibly a spare phone.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 01:33 AM

Congrats!!!

And love the "Preggo Prepper" thread title.

There are so few women on this forum, I would not be surprised if this subject has never been covered by a member contemporaneous to that member's pregnancy.

Best wishes as you prepare for the arrival of your newest child.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 01:40 AM

Out hospitals give a small diaper bag with samples of similac and such in them. We took those and kept one in each vehicle as an emergency bag/bob.
After the first month or so wife would pump and extra time every so often and we would freeze it to have a emergency stock.
Grocery stores would get annoyed because we would clean out the whole shelf of baby food on one trip. But we didn't use that a lot, instead would mash up normal vegetables and such.
Pack and plays become part of your BOB/INCH gear.
Took them camping the first time around 6 months so they could get used to it. First trip for my daughter a few months old and my son was about 1.5 got real cold in the night. We slept with my daughter between us but noticed my son already had an instinct to curl up and cover his whole body with the blankets to keep warm. Found this kids sized tent on clearance and we set it up and would just let them crawl around inside, they really enjoyed it.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 04:20 PM

Thanks gang!

The baby is due in January so we still have a ways to go. Communications, back-up care plans for our son, and prepping to be snowed-in when the big day comes have all been put on the Action List. Thanks!

As I twisted my ankle stepping off a curb this morning, I was reminded that a pregnant woman's ligaments loosen and her centre of gravity shifts. Good footwear is a must for every day, and would be particularly important in an off-road secenario. In fact, the whole off-road scenario for a potential bug-out should be revisted, as is the plan to walk home should I get stuck at the office or on the road for some reason.
Posted by: rescueguru

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 05:25 PM

With the thought of a cold weather / trapped at home scenario, may I suggest the addition of an Emergency OB Kit, such as the ones found on ambulances. These kits contain the necessary supplies to handle the situation, are small and portable, are reasonably inexpensive and readily available through many EMS suppliers. Congratulations on the forthcoming addition. smile
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 05:45 PM

Congrats!

I have nothing to add, but yesterday my wife made it out of her first trimester with our first kid, so I'll be keeping an eye on things. I have to, since her idea of being prepared is a wool blanket in the trunk.

Of course, she's a pediatrician in a hospital, so the medical side is covered. And she's been fortunate enough to skip the whole morning sickness crud - just some fatigue.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 06:03 PM

Congratulations!!! I'd say a constant supply of haupia will do you good!
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 06:35 PM

Been there, doing that. My firsts (twins) are due in less then two months. Might I suggest Jolly Rancher Fruit n' Sour Hard Candy as part of your EDC. They really work well for nausea, and can be stored at ambient while Preggo Pops cannot.

Also, prep for what the relaxin is doing to your joints. As you found out this morning, you're turning into Gumby. Ace bandages or athletic tape will help with the sprains. The T-handled (i.e. Komperdell Walker Antishock) walking sticks can take a lot of weight off your knees. Add one (or more) of those to your GHB.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Also....look into Cord Blood Bank storage.

Do your research. Some believe that it's better to let the cord blood go into the baby.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 08:24 PM

Beware of any opinion on pregnancy offered by a well-meaning soul who has no uterus.Such opinions are based on hearsay and conjecture.

Get advice from a nurse-midwife: nm's focus on letting nature take its course, supporting the mom and the baby, and enhancing the physical-spiritual-psychological experience of childbirth

Rest. Be gentle with yourself. Stay hydrated.

Find joy in the blessing that is pregnancy. All survival activity is biologically meaningless unless having babies is involved.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, cuz it comes from a well-meaning soul who has no uterus.

Our prayers are with you .
Posted by: Quietly_Learning

Re: Preggo Prepper - 07/31/12 11:44 PM

Congratulations to you and your family on the happy news.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/01/12 12:02 AM

For treatment of Morning Sickness, suggest you try http://www.aeromedix.com/Reletex-Anti-Nausea-Device.html
It really works, is safe and no drugs. Usual disclaimer.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/01/12 12:12 AM

I have nothing useful to add other than "Woo hoo! Congratulations!!"
smile smile smile
-Blast
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/01/12 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Beware of any opinion on pregnancy offered by a well-meaning soul who has no uterus. Such opinions are based on hearsay and conjecture.

Love it! I was wondering the same thing because the number of men in the forum severely outnumber the ladies. One of the reasons I choose not to offer any opinions on this interesting topic. smile

Oh and congrats to bacpakjac and the rest of the family.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/01/12 01:49 AM

Congratulations and well wishes to you and your family.

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/01/12 04:48 AM

Congratulations!

Here's to smooth sailing. May the wind be at your back.

-Doug

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/01/12 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Beware of any opinion on pregnancy offered by a well-meaning soul who has no uterus.Such opinions are based on hearsay and conjecture.

Get advice from a nurse-midwife: nm's focus on letting nature take its course, supporting the mom and the baby, and enhancing the physical-spiritual-psychological experience of childbirthRest. Be gentle with yourself. Stay hydrated.

Find joy in the blessing that is pregnancy. All survival activity is biologically meaningless unless having babies is involved.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, cuz it comes from a well-meaning soul who has no uterus.

Our prayers are with you .

That's all well and good until something goes wrong.

If you're going the nursemaid or Dula route or something, most hospitals are OK with that idea. It helps to have an OB nearby if something goes wrong.
Posted by: powerring

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/02/12 05:06 AM

Congratulations! That's happy news. Take care of yourself and get the rest and nutrition you need.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/04/12 03:11 PM

One of the hardest things to plan for how to help and deal with how the soon-to-be-not youngest/only (as I do not know if you have more than one) will child get accustomed to the interloper in their life. Our two children were almost 7 years apart. That was a bunch of time being an only child for the first. The adjustments were difficult at times. All the attention and activity appears to the former youngest to revolve around the new kid on the block. We had to make sure we set aside special time for her (the former only child). Anyway, too much confusing wording and blather. Congratulations!!!
Posted by: Krista

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/04/12 10:11 PM

Nice to see a distinctly 'feminine' thread on here! And congratulations!

I don't really have any good advice as I was pathetically unprepared during my pregnancy nearly 6 years ago!

Maybe make sure your first aid kit has anything that you might need in the event you have to deliver the baby NOT in a hospital?? I hope not, of course, but you know being prepared means considering the worst possible scenarios and planning for them! smile

Take care of yourself!

And don't forget a pacifier! smile
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/06/12 03:08 PM

Late to the rodeo as usual ... first, grats to you and the rest of the family on the new addition.

Second, I will refer you to nursemike's warning about advice from a well meaning soul with no uterus, more of which is to follow laugh . So here goes:

Add some saltine crackers to your food stores, they can help with the nausea and provide a needed food energy boost. For that matter, DW swore by plain salted potato chips for nausea when she was pregnant with DS. Any salty snack can help, so pick your favorite, but keep in mind this trick may not work for all the ladies so YMMV. You might also add something in there to help give you an energy boost as long as it is safe for the baby. I was thinking maybe some caffeine gum or mints but these may not be safe for the little one. The boost meal supplement or other food may well do the same thing anyway with no worries for the baby.

While it is good to be prepared for the possible bug out (or get home) scenario if needed, I would try to focus these plans on simply getting to the closest safe place to continue bugging in. I guess this is the obvious goal of any bug out plan, but my point here is that you don't want to be bugging out on foot 7 months pregnant with a 50 pound pack on your back. I did notice you plan to trim down the pack weight as the pregnancy progresses, but this all brings me to a final point.

Finally, keep your plans reasonable and within your limitations. As much as you may want to believe you could travel X miles with a Y pound pack on foot if you had to, you may very well find yourself unable to go half the distance with half the weight. You might be MUCH better off planning to make your current transportation more dependable, parking in areas where your vehicle will be less susceptible to damage, or planning for alternate transportation over the distance(s) you might expect to have to travel. In the event you have to travel on foot, I would think it is best to keep the distance you have to travel as short as possible, for your sake and the baby’s sake. Instead of a GHB getting you home, it might be better to get to the hospital, or to a family member’s or friend’s house that is close by.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/06/12 07:27 PM

Back in the 60s, I was doing archaeology at Fort Bowte National Historic Site, associated with the Apache Wars of the late 19th century. I read the following account, but I can no longer find the source - it may be the memoirs of Lt. Emmet Crawford.

As Geronimo's band (about thirty or so individuals, including noncombatants) was returning from Mexico for their final surrender, a woman veered from the group, headed for a distant grove of trees. The Americans asked basically, "What's up? - the response was "Just Wait - You'll See." So they continued on, and forty-five minutes or so later, the woman in question caught up with them, carrying her newborn.

I believe this in a true story, although none of the quoted sources were uterus endowed.

Our ancestors were incredibly tough, and clearly the Apache were real mothers.

Oh, yes, congratulations!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/08/12 02:29 PM

Thanks so much gang!

One of the things we have going for us is that the local hospital is only a couple of blocks away from us. An emerg child birth class is a good idea, nonetheless!

Bugging in remains at the top of our In Case of Emergency list but all those other contingency plans need to be revisited and revamped too!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/08/12 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Also....look into Cord Blood Bank storage.

Do your research. Some believe that it's better to let the cord blood go into the baby.

Do some more research. wink Cord blood comes from the placenta, not the baby.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/08/12 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Do some more research. wink Cord blood comes from the placenta, not the baby.

I'm aware of that. I take no position on the matter of whether it's better to bank the cord blood or to let as much of it as possible go into the baby before cutting the cord. The only point I intended to make is that there are people who feel strongly about it.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/08/12 08:30 PM

Congratulations Bacpacjac

And congrats to ETS.
Another prepper is expected.

Posted by: thseng

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/09/12 05:12 PM

Congratulations!

On a sorta gear related note, my wife is 'specting and she tried sleeping with a self-inflating "base-camp" size camping mattress on top of the bed last night.

She seemd to think it helped allieviate some poor circulation caused by pressure-points as she slept on her side.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Congratulations!!! I'd say a constant supply of haupia will do you good!

BING!!!! Haupia is no officially on my group of cravings not that the morning sickness is under control and my appetite is raging. Thanks!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: thseng
Congratulations!

On a sorta gear related note, my wife is 'specting and she tried sleeping with a self-inflating "base-camp" size camping mattress on top of the bed last night.

She seemd to think it helped allieviate some poor circulation caused by pressure-points as she slept on her side.

We're taking our Cub Scouts to Cuboree in September and I will be bringing one of those air matresses. When I was 8 months pregnant with my son, I went on a three day trip with my thermarest and that no-sleep lesson is seared into my memory. LOL!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
For treatment of Morning Sickness, suggest you try http://www.aeromedix.com/Reletex-Anti-Nausea-Device.html
It really works, is safe and no drugs. Usual disclaimer.

Thanks Doug! I'd prefer to go without the anti-nausea meds. So far they're the only thing that touches it so I am definitely going to check this out.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
One of the hardest things to plan for how to help and deal with how the soon-to-be-not youngest/only (as I do not know if you have more than one) will child get accustomed to the interloper in their life. Our two children were almost 7 years apart. That was a bunch of time being an only child for the first. The adjustments were difficult at times. All the attention and activity appears to the former youngest to revolve around the new kid on the block. We had to make sure we set aside special time for her (the former only child). Anyway, too much confusing wording and blather. Congratulations!!!

This is definitely one of the things on the top of our priority list during this journey. Thanks for the reminder MoBOB. He's already lost most of the summer in terms our adventuring plans. frown

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 11:48 AM

Hey! It looks like we've got at least 5 future ETSers enroute. Cool!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I was not Equipped To Not Make Baby ... frown

(I jest)

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 02:16 PM

(I jest)

Us either. wink Good reminder to those who would like to prevent it.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 07:48 PM

(I jest)

Us either. wink Good reminder to those who would like to prevent it.

As I tell all my (typically younger) patients, "Oops happens." Nothing is 100% gauranteed to prevent pregnancy - just ask the Virgin Mary. smile

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 08:31 PM

Preppers should be the best people to deal with such unexpected news.

Anyways, since this part of the story is opened, let me tell you something. A few years back we faced similar news and , well, we just accepted it as it was. Belive me guys and gals, the girl we got was a load of love and fun. My youngest girl has showered me and mom with more hugs and kisses than all the other 4 kids combined. Bless her heart.

Wishing all the best for the future ETSers and their families.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/10/12 08:43 PM

Quote:

This event maybe a good thing for a lonely kid not to be lonely for the rest of his life. When parents grow older , a person needs a brother or sister in hard times. Also, a single kid maybe overwhlemed by the difficult needs of two elderly parents. A brother/sister can share the load.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/16/12 11:44 PM

I made a scheduled trip to a special pregnancy clinic in a hospital in Toronto yesterday. I drove to the outskirts of the city and then took public transit for the first time in years to get there. I have to admit that my thinking process on what to bring was a little clunky. I'd be a long way from home if I got stuck! This is going to be a regular trip for me so I could use your help.

In a backpack I put: copies of my medical paper trail, my wallet and edc keyring, lip balm, my edc purse, a full 2l Nalgene, some snacks and sour candies (GREAT for nausea!), a jacket (with mitts and socks in pockets), a hat, a magazine, leather man wave, edc pocket organizer tool kit, headlamp, sunglasses, prescription glasses in hard case, wallet with extra cash. The bag was heavy enough with the full water bottle. (There's a few snacks missing , as well as the two bottles of juice I drank while waiting. And waiting. And waiting.... :-)

P.S. - whoever suggested Jolly Rancher Sours - THANK YOU!

EDC backpack: http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... 730771.jpg

EDC PSK Purse: http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... 188855.jpg

Interestingly, just as I pulled into the transit parking lot to head to the hospital, I realized that the parking machine doesn't take paper money. I went and got change so I could park and then my cel phone decided that it didn't want to live anymore. No problem, I thought, I've got a quarter for a pay phone. I had no idea that it would take 50 cents to make my call. More quarters, loonies and toonies next time!

EDIT: In addition to more coins and a change of underwear (ultrasound gel sucks!), I'll probably throw in a lined fleece or something instead of the jacket next time. The hospitals can get a little cool sometimes, and it looks like I've got 2 emerg ponchos should an unexpected rain appear. (We all dress for the weather, right?) I also need to wear better foot ware next time as well. My ortho sandles are comfy but not if I had to walk any distance if it was raining. I could also ditch my leatherman, since I've got my Gerber recoil and a couple of folders. I threw it in out of habit bit cutting weight in the pack will help as I gain it in my body.

P.S. - they grey blob in the purse pic is an Altoids tin psk. :-) and the edc pocket organizer is this one: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=17333&Number=243634#Post243634

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/17/12 12:42 AM

It takes a special guy to do that,Izzy. He must be quite a dad!

I'm double doctoring now. My primary OB is a hig risk specialiat close to home, and as of yesterday, I'm being followed by one of leading high risk pregnancy clinics in the county. I highly recommend a high risk specialist for anyone that falls into that category. They are indredibly thorough and it's very reassuring. 17 weeks tomorrow and all is well YEAH! Now if I could just wrap my head around this bi-weekly commute to Toronto!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/17/12 08:08 AM

Maybe I have missed it , but here is a few suggestions:

- Homemade "info card" for you, including blood type , numbers to call in case of emergency ..etc. AND your doctor's name and ###

- Cash in small bills
- Fresh twelettes (if they won't cause nausea)

Also, if I understand correctly , you are driving to Toronto, or part of the way at least. So you have a car within a few miles(kilometers) from the clinic. In that case, look into beefing up the kit in your car trunk. Add a sleeping bag and/or blanket and other comfort items. If an emergency happens in the city, you may manage to reach the car but maybe too exhausted to start driving back home and may decide to rest for a while.

IIRC, someone here in ETS has posted a picture of his wife and newly born baby and I wrote that women really deserve more respedct for what they go throw . They are better survivors than men , and they go thru hard times to create fresh generations that make the world go on.

Best wishes

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/17/12 06:59 PM

Also, if you have business cards showing who you are or where you work like ( software development engineer , IBM ) , it is a good idea to distribute a few in your wallet, purse, backpack , and a couple in your car's glove compartment.

Such cards are good to be on you , and not too bad if lost or stolen.

Also, double check your communication options.
For example, what if your cell phone is lost, stolen, broken ??
I do have another older cell phone that I take on critical trips.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/17/12 09:22 PM

My wife had been seeing a "high risk" doctor for the last two pregnancies. She got a little miffed when she found out the "AMA" on her chart stood for "Advanced Maternal Age".

Could be worse - in Ham Radio lingo, just beeing married makes her an "XYL" (eX Young Lady).

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/17/12 09:51 PM

Sorry, off topic, but couldn't resist :

Quote:
"Never trust an engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

We had two engineers who visited us time to time. One had ONLY a multitool in his keychain. It was the only tool he used. The other had a large wheeled tool bag that he could hide a corpse in.

I have always wished them to visit us same day, and I would photograph them side by side. LOL

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/18/12 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Maybe I have missed it , but here is a few suggestions:

- Homemade "info card" for you, including blood type , numbers to call in case of emergency ..etc. AND your doctor's name and ###

- Cash in small bills
- Fresh twelettes (if they won't cause nausea)

Also, if I understand correctly , you are driving to Toronto, or part of the way at least. So you have a car within a few miles(kilometers) from the clinic. In that case, look into beefing up the kit in your car trunk. Add a sleeping bag and/or blanket and other comfort items. If an emergency happens in the city, you may manage to reach the car but maybe too exhausted to start driving back home and may decide to rest for a while.

IIRC, someone here in ETS has posted a picture of his wife and newly born baby and I wrote that women really deserve more respedct for what they go throw . They are better survivors than men , and they go thru hard times to create fresh generations that make the world go on.

Best wishes

Great suggestions, Chisel! thanks! All are already implemented but this is a good reminder. My Jeep fully loaded and that's part of my challenge adjusting to this commute and using public transit to do it. it's become like a security blanket for me and I'm parking it too far to comfortably expect to walk to should something go wrong. (It's at least a 30 minute subway ride from the hospital to the TTC parking lot. At any other time, I'd say no problem, but the more pregnant I get, the longer it's going to take.) I could just bite the bullet and drive and park downtown but that would get too expensive in very short order.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/18/12 12:32 AM

Ah! Good idea. It's the obvious stuff that seems to be overlooked sometimes.

Perhaps also looking into hospitals which are along her commuting route as well? Make sure she knows where they are and how to get there, etc?

As they say (Whoever they are, I guess) "always have a way out."

Great suggestions, Izzy. I've already done this for the commute to and from work but really need to do the same for this Toronto trip. Thanks!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/18/12 12:35 AM

Also, if you have business cards showing who you are or where you work like ( software development engineer , IBM ) , it is a good idea to distribute a few in your wallet, purse, backpack , and a couple in your car's glove compartment.

Such cards are good to be on you , and not too bad if lost or stolen.

Also, double check your communication options.
For example, what if your cell phone is lost, stolen, broken ??
I do have another older cell phone that I take on critical trips.

Great ideas, Chisel! My cell phone did die on this first trip. I keep a calling card in my wallet and had some quarters for a pay phone but an other back-up' and new phone, are in order. Thanks!

EDIT: I may take my tablet with me on future trips as well. Wifi is becoming more and prevalent, even in our little town. It may allow email in an emergency, and it'll be good entertainment for those long stays in the waiting room.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/18/12 12:38 AM

My wife had been seeing a "high risk" doctor for the last two pregnancies. She got a little miffed when she found out the "AMA" on her chart stood for "Advanced Maternal Age".

Could be worse - in Ham Radio lingo, just beeing married makes her an "XYL" (eX Young Lady).

I hate the AMA label too!! I prefer to think if myself well seasoned!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/18/12 05:17 PM

i just had a DUH! moment. I'm swapping my Gerber Recoil for my LM Wave in my purse. I've stopped wearing a belt so have also stopped wearing my WAVE. Like the Recoil (my first multi-tool) but I LOVE the Wave.

EDIT: It's getting colder at night here so I added a wool watch cap as well!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/19/12 12:34 AM

Ok, braintrust, I need some advice.

The black Kodiak backpack is actually my son's school backpack from last year. It's almost brand new and he's not expecting a new one this year but one of us needs a new one. I'm thinking of going for a more colourful, a.k.a. less tactical looking, pack. What do you think?

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/19/12 01:57 AM

EDITed to add that the purse holds: main wallet, wipes, hard candies, small IFAK, multi-tool, maxi pads, bandana, mylar blanket, tampons, lip balm, floss, bic, prescription and OTC meds, gum, extra cash and coins, calling card, emerg contact info, emerg poncho, AAA LED flashlight, cheapo red led flasher, spiderco ladybug, psk, garbage bag, pocket'pack of kleenex, pen, pencil, purelle, extra AAA batteries(3}.

PREGGO PREPPER'S COMMUTER EDC

In a backpack I put: copies of my medical paper trail, my wallet and edc keyring, lip balm, my edc purse, a full 2l Nalgene, some snacks and sour candies (GREAT for nausea!), a jacket (with mitts and socks in pockets), a hat, a magazine, leather man wave, edc pocket organizer tool kit, headlamp, sunglasses, prescription glasses in hard case, wallet with extra cash. The bag was heavy enough with the full water bottle. (There's a few snacks missing , as well as the two bottles of juice I drank while waiting. And waiting. And waiting.... :-)

EDC backpack: http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... 730771.jpg

EDC PSK Purse: http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... 188855.jpg

Interestingly, just as I pulled into the transit parking lot to head to the hospital, I realized that the parking machine doesn't take paper money. I went and got change so I could park and then my cel phone decided that it didn't want to live anymore. No problem, I thought, I've got a quarter for a pay phone. I had no idea that it would take 50 cents to make my call. More quarters, loonies and toonies next time.

EDIT: In addition to more coins and a change of underwear (ultrasound gel sucks!), I'll probably throw in a lined fleece or something instead of the jacket next time. The hospitals can get a little cool sometimes, and it looks like I've got 2 emerg ponchos should an unexpected rain appear. (We all dress for the weather, right?) I also need to wear better foot ware next time as well. My ortho sandles are comfy but not if I had to walk any distance if it was raining. I could also ditch my leatherman, since I've got my Gerber recoil and a couple of folders. I threw it in out of habit bit cutting weight in the pack will help as I gain it in my body.

P.S. - they grey blob in the purse pic is an Altoids tin psk. :-) and the edc pocket organizer is this one: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=17333&Number=243634#Post243634

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/19/12 03:26 AM

Black goes with everything I wear laugh.

Seriously, nobody knows your circumstances and environment better than you. Almost all preppers are better off avoiding the tactical rainbow (black, OD, coyote brown, flat dark earth, any camo) for something high visibility for the wilderness or that looks like it came out of an office for urban scenarios. Do you need to stand out or blend in?

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/19/12 11:16 AM

I am no expert in packs , so I cannot recommend any particular model or brand. But here is something to consider.

Weight and dimensions are critical in your situation. Comfort is a priority. Extra padding goes without saying. Not only it is essentail for carrying the pack comfortably, it may help you improvise a cushion/pillow if you need extra rest while waiting or travelling in the bus/metro.

Color ? Well, like others said : you know your situation better than any of us. In my neck of the woods, only Camo is seen as "tactical", while coyote brown is seen as CAMPING stuff, and black (luggage color) is seen as neutral color with no meaning (but considered elegant in the female fashion world) !!

It is different from area to area.
And you know your area better.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/19/12 12:16 PM

While i'm on the fence about the pack colour, I agree that comfort is key! The bigger i get the more important it's going to be and I too am thinking of the possibility of having to crash in the hospital corridor or waiting room. The padding on this oack is nice and comfy. Maybe I'll stick with it.

Black seems like it could be viewed either way. During the G20 riots a couple of years ago, black gear seemed to trigger a negative police response but a pink pack could also screem "please mug me!" Maybe I'll get a Scouts Canada one as a compromise.

One of the things I'm thinking about is protection. Walking alone at night is a real possibility and a pregnant woman would make a pretty good target I think. I'm going to add a collapsable walking stick. Not only will it help with my balance and navigating slipper ground, it's an added piece of protective equipment.

I'm going to get a small am/fm radio as well, so I can get the news if my phone fails. Speaking of which, a battery powered phone charger is on my shopping list as well.

I've also added a tourist map of the city that includes all transit routes, taxi numbers and local hotels. Enough cash for a night in a hotel is going in my wallet too. I don't know anyone who lives in the city anymore and might need somewhere to stay if snow should hit in a few months.
Posted by: Stephen

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/19/12 01:55 PM

BPJ - I have assisted police several times with large scale security and riot control. (The G8 summit for example) and from my experiences I can tell you this.

No one gives a sweet damn what type or colour your backpack is. It's an individuals actions that draw attention, not their choice of backpack.

Look around, depending on which part of ontario you are in you would be the odd one out if you didn't have a black/hunter camo pack...or shirt...or pants.

Thinking you will be sticking out because of a black bag on your back is survival forum paranoia. And no offence, but a middle aged pregnant woman is going to stick out slightly in a croud and it will not be because of your pack. It could be black, pink or with glowing lights and a large sponge bob mural across it.

If you are in the market for a possible upgrade, check out the blackhawk 3 day assault pack. The name is cooler than it sounds. Its just a bacic pack but built super strong. It only comes in green, tan and black (maybe digi-cam now) and can be had for under 100 bones.

It looks like a school bag really.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/20/12 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Stephen
Thinking you will be sticking out because of a black bag on your back is survival forum paranoia. And no offence, but a middle aged pregnant woman is going to stick out slightly in a crowd and it will not be because of your pack. It could be black, pink or with glowing lights and a large sponge bob mural across it.

It looks like a school bag really.

Second the pregnant women comment, but I want to qualify the backpack comment. IMHO, stuff that is overtly "tactical", i.e. digicam, covered with molle loops, etc. tends to stand out.

FWIW, the diaper backpack I'm getting for my little ones is red with a reflective stripe. The idea is visiblity to prevent getting turned into bumper meat by an inattentive motorist. Also, sternum straps are worth their weight in gold.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/20/12 01:07 PM

What counts in any pack is fit to the individual, and, especially in BPJ's case, adjustibility. Is a significantly heavy backpack even a good idea in the third trimester? A a non-uterine members of the species, I honestly haven't a clue.

As an example of the adjustability issue, for Mark, "sternum straps are worth their weight in gold." For me, they are useless impediments and worthless (usually).

I would look to any number of civilian brands rather than the LE/military lines like Maxpedition, which are durable and tough, but nowhere as sophisticated as their domestic counterpart.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/21/12 02:21 PM

BPJ,

I am no expert on your situation as I also am a member of the non-uterine club. However, in regards to the backpack Jac (small pun), maybe switching to a messenger bag is worth considering while doing you urban jaunts. It could be a big more manageable in terms of load-bearing. Just a thought.

I am glad to hear things are progressing well for you.

My $.02

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/25/12 09:36 AM

Quote:
I've also added a tourist map of the city that includes all transit routes, taxi numbers and local hotels. Enough cash for a night in a hotel is going in my wallet too. I don't know anyone who lives in the city anymore and might need somewhere to stay if snow should hit in a few months.

1 - I suggest you share these plans with your husband even if he doesn't accompany you in these trips. If something bad happens ( like snow ) he will know which hotel you will be heading to. During a snow storm , communications maybe off and you may not be able to contact him.

2- You can also save maps as images in your cell phone. It's convenient and good backup. But paper maps should be there too ( one copy for your husband too).

3 - You don't know anyone in the city , but you can start to know someone. Maybe a cap driver, a nurse in the hospital, anyone who is likely to offer help for money or free.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/25/12 11:21 AM

2- You can also save maps as images in your cell phone. It's convenient and good backup. But paper maps should be there too ( one copy for your husband too).

+1. If you have an Apple or Android phone you can also save maps for offline use now. With the maps saved to memory the smartphone doesn't rely on the network for map data and functions like a standalone GPS unit. You can save a pretty fair size chunk of real estate to memory that way.

Snapping a picture of anything from a map to a shopping list has been a quick, easy way to take information along ever since cell phone camera resolution jumped into the megapixels.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/25/12 08:43 PM

I carry a similar unit made by Energizer.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/26/12 12:56 AM

I have had multiple rayovac products all with issues. From rechargeable batteries that don't last long and primary batteries that leaked to chargers that don't fully charge the batteries.
I went away from rechargeable batteries for a while, turned out my $30 Rayovac PS4 only charged to about 80% compared to a $30 MAHA.
be very careful with their products.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/26/12 09:37 AM

My son has one of these batteries for his phone ( don't know the model) but being a member in the paranoid what-if camp, I carry with me a second (cheaper model) cell phone whenever there is any hint of anything that requires extra precaution.

This second phone is leftover from my kids collection. I decided to give it a new home in my EDC bag instead of the junk drawer.

So BPJ, if your kids ( senior and junior ) have thrown away some older phones, it's time to grab one of them.

Oh, and my older spare phone has a built in torch, so it doubles as yet another flashlight.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/26/12 12:31 PM

Thanks guys. Have I told you lately that I love you?! I do! LOL!

I've decided to stick with the Kodiak pack. It's comfortable, just the right size and I like the pockets. Y'all are probably right about the colour not making a lick of difference.

I'm working on my cel phone solution and plan to have something in place before I head downtown again in a couple of days. I'm getting a replacement phone, including a charging method that doesn't rely on the grid or my vehicle. Likewise, an am/fm radio is being purchased today.

I'm still on the hunt for a collapsable walking stick. Apparently, a lot of the outdoor stores'around here think they are seasonal for the summer. Duh! There's a Sail Outdoor store on my route to work so I'm going to pop in tomorrow afternoon.

Interestingly, when I go downtown this week, there's going to be a big protest in the area by provincial teachers. I don't expect anything like the G20 riots, but it is food for thought.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/26/12 12:46 PM

I've been feeling a lot better lately so I took my son (9), nephew (8) and niece (6) for an overnight car camp this weekend. We kept it really simple - went to an in the city campground with tents, bags and blankets, can to boil water in, fire kit, weiners, instant KD, marshmallows, hot chocolate, koolaid jammers and water. We also brought a hobo stove just in case a fire ban was re-established. We didn't need it but we did use it just to show them how it's done.

They hunted for crawfish, (didn't catch a single one in almost three hous but they sure had fun!), foraged for fire sticks, worked on their firecraft and practiced their knife, axe and cooking skills, all under the eye of this watchful mama. 2 of them slept in tents for the first time and my nephew even spent the entire night in a one-man tent by himself. Very brave!

We forgot our thermarests (Duh!) and it got pretty chilly in the wee hours. Thankkfully we had lots of wool blankets. This preggo could not get comfortable so I stayed up all night in my chair by the fire, watching the stars and the racoons. Got to see a beautiful sunrise too, so it wasn't so bad.

Despite being REALLY tired, it was a great trip. (Photos are on pages one and two here if you're interested:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac

ps - When it comes to camping while pregnant, sleeping on the ground sucks (even with a mattress) and I'm just about done carrying bags of wood. Things to consider when prepping the family BOB and GHB.

PPS - The kids love the LED glow sticks. Thanks for the tip, Izzy!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/26/12 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

FWIW, the diaper backpack I'm getting for my little ones is red with a reflective stripe. The idea is visiblity to prevent getting turned into bumper meat by an inattentive motorist. Also, sternum straps are worth their weight in gold.

Great idea on the reflective tape, Mark. Thanks for sharing it! not sure avout sternum straps. I usually like them but I'm a little tender in that region right now. Better to pack light, me thinks.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/26/12 04:47 PM

Quote:
Photos are on pages one and two here if you're interested

Sorry , I was over interested LOL, so I looked at page 3 as well. grin

I noticed the whistle kit and the cigar tube kit. Are they for the kids ? Any particular reason for using the tube ? I mean it offers ideas , like some folks make a knife sheath survival kit. A tube like this is great fit with a knife sheath.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/26/12 05:50 PM

Chisel,

My son wanted a pocket fishing kit that he could use when we go on our hikes and impromptu trips. He searched around the house to find containers and the tube and whistle are tow that he cam eup with. We stuffed them with hooks, sinkers, line, and eye hooks (for making poles out of tree branches), etc. He hasn't had any luck catching anything yet, but mom's been sidelined for a few months so hasn't had many chance to try. Good thing to add to next weekend's adventure!

Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/27/12 01:41 PM

Awesome trip jac, I'm hoping we can get in a family trip ourselves labor day weekend, and after that we have a Pack campout with our cub scouts planned for Sept 8th, and a District Cub campout for sept 28th - 30th. I hope we have as much fun as it looks like you had.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/27/12 03:20 PM

Im jealous Mark. Our rescheduled Cub-o-Ree camp was just cancelled.It was originally to be held in June but we got thunderstormed out so they rescuduled it to mid-September but too many groups have other commitments so they cancelled it completely. We're now scrambling to get a fall camp booked for our group.

I don't think I'm going to up for much for on the ground camping until after this baby is born though, so I may have to pass on the next one. frown
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/28/12 12:57 AM

Quote:
I'm still on the hunt for a collapsable walking stick.

Check camera stores. If I carry one, what I actually use is a monopod with/without a head depending on whether I'm also carrying the tripod.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 08/28/12 01:42 AM

Sierra Trading Post has hordes of walking sticks available. I was just checking their catalog today.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/02/12 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Quote:
I'm still on the hunt for a collapsable walking stick.

Check camera stores. If I carry one, what I actually use is a monopod with/without a head depending on whether I'm also carrying the tripod.

You're a genius, UTA! Thanks!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/02/12 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Sierra Trading Post has hordes of walking sticks available. I was just checking their catalog today.

Thanks hikermor!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/02/12 12:14 PM

So I walked out of the TO hospital this week and the subway was broken. I took a long walk to get to an operating and not entirely overflowing station and learned a few things along the way:

*My ortho sandles suck for long distance walking. Socks and my merrells are returning to the starting line-up
*I got a hot spot on one foot so I've also added a couple of blister pads to my FAK
*Ditching the 2L nalgene and the tool kit made nice differnce in the weight of the pack
*I took a bottle of juice instead of my nalgene. Refills weren't an issue because this was a subway only event but if it was a more broad problem (like the 2003 East Coast black-out), my 2L bottle would have been welcome
*The officials at the closed subway station were very helpful with info but a radio will come in handy if it's a broader event. My new mp3 player with built-in fm tuner is great but I need to figure out a way to charge it on the fly (cel phone charger solution stil pending too, so I'm hoping for a combo solution)
*this trip was in broad daylight, on a hot summer day. That walking stick will be welcome in more adverse conditions
*having something warm was a blessing in a building that was over-compensating for the combo of pregnant women and a hot day by running the a/c in the "extreme arctic" mode. I think I might swap put my fleece jacket for a silk sleeping bag liner. It's about the same weight but much smaller.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/06/12 12:09 PM

I called hubby yesterday to tell him that I had to go to the Urgent Care Clinic because of a bladder infection. (This is a clinic that's part of the medical clinic I go to. If your doctor isn't available and it's not an ER emergency, they ask you to go there instead of any old walk-in clinic, so that your records can stay consolidated. It's fast too, and less of a burden on the system.)

It was an unenventful trip. I was in and out in an hour, prescription in hand.

Coming home was not quite so uneventful. Hubby was in a little bit of a tizzy. He thought I had gone to the ER. He relaxed as soon as I re-explained but he had an epiphany. The man who makes fun of my prepper habits, told me in no unequivical terms that I need to prep my hospital go-bag now. He even had a bag out ready to fill.

He's right, of course. So, I've packed a bag that's going to live near the front door so he can grab it quickly if he needs to, without having to run around the house freaking out not knowing what to pack. Last time, I got 7 pairs of underwear that didn't fit, 3 bras that didn't fit, a housecoat and 1 slipper. Thank goodness for best friends with a key to the house! wink

So far, this go-bag has:
-underwear
-socks
-slippers
-fleece sweater
-pants
-toiletries
-emerg phone list
-silk sleeping bag liner
-pillow
-water bottle

I'm also going to add a nightgown and housecoat. Once we get closer to the delivery date, I'll add in an alarm clock for feedings, nursing stuff and baby stuff. I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking about it. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/06/12 12:20 PM

Men are not very helpful in this department. However, I suggest you remember your last experience and see if there was anything that was particularly helpful.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/06/12 04:35 PM

Once we get closer to the delivery date, I'll add in an alarm clock for feedings...

Curiousity is getting the better of me, so I have to ask why one would need an alarm clock? In my experience, the baby invariably lets you know when its time to wake up!

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/06/12 07:12 PM

Once we get closer to the delivery date, I'll add in an alarm clock for feedings...

Curiousity is getting the better of me, so I have to ask why one would need an alarm clock? In my experience, the baby invariably lets you know when its time to wake up!

Newborns may not get enough calories with self regulated feeding times. In that case, waking the kid and adding in an extra feeding may supply the required calories.

I've been drooling over this one. But, in all reality I'm going to be relying more on the wall clock to keep track of feeding and diaper times for the twins.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MEB3GE/?tag...c_df_B000MEB3GE

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/06/12 08:23 PM

You are absolutely right, thseng. They do, but as Marc says, sometimes they need extra feedings. Also, when my son was born, he ended up in the nicu being tube fed. I was worried that the nurses would let me sleep through so couldn't get to sleep. Once hubby brought me an alarm clock, I slept like a proverbial baby.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/06/12 08:55 PM

Well, count me paranoid , but here goes. I suggest you add ear phones for your cell phone. Reason is ( according to my paranoia) you don't want to be making all those calls to hubby and other family members while your baby is only a afew inches from your phone. Radiation, you know.

I myself use earphones for lengthy calls. Whethger it is posychological or real, I don't know, but I feel my ears and side of my head getting hot meanwhile.

Just to be on the safe side.
And those headphones will help you make phone calls handfree.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/06/12 09:26 PM

Once hubby brought me an alarm clock, I slept like a proverbial baby.

In that case, I heartily approve of the alarm clock!

I was just suspicious that you might be a victim of the "nipple nazis" - Those nurses who insist the only right way to feed a baby is their way, on a rigid schedule, so many minutes on each side, etc. etc... They literally had my wife in tears when our first was born. I finally kicked them out of the room told her "Honey, just do whatever comes naturally."

I find that timer amusing in the way that any seasoned, nay, grizzled parent can. Ok, I suppose if it gives a new parent more confidence, it can't hurt too much. I just have a policy of letting sleeping healthy babies lie.

I would, however, advise that you keep a written log when baby is sick - you can't rely on your sleep deprived mind to keep track of things like when you last gave her medicine.

Re: Preggo Prepper - 09/06/12 10:15 PM

God bless you, Tom! The breast feeding nazis were a horrible experience of us. I ended up in tears and my hubby nearly kidnapped us both from the hopsital just to make it stop.

Great sugestion about keeping a log. It really helps to keep track in those early days before the baby gets on a schedule and you're conscious enough to remember it, especially if the baby has any issues and/or you're new parents. wink