Survival key fobs & zipper pulls

Posted by: TeacherRO

Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 01:00 AM

Seems like an easy way to have a few essential items - Either on a jacket pull or on your key ring.

Commercial key fob with tools inside
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 03:01 AM

I am sure there is a market for such gimmicks, however I think that few, if any on this forum would part with $13.00 for this...
Posted by: Stephen

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 04:24 AM

I have an easier way to have a few essential items....Pockets. wink

What a waste of money.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 12:15 PM

I use a short length of aircraft cable, that way it is easier to grab what I need rather than searching through my pockets and pulling everything else out first. It is just a method for organizing your stuff so you can get to it easier. That fob is way too expensive though. You can get anything you need for pennies at a good hardware store.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 01:29 PM

I've not had any luck with zipper pull items - especially tiny compasses. They just haven't lasted.

These days EDC involves stuff in my pockets - carefully selected. I don't carry massive amounts - just the basics - whistle, light, knife, small ferro rod ...

When out and about - I carry gear in a daypack ... which is getting too heavy since I have too much gear in it - including weather radio, lightening detector, GPS, several knives (Leatherman, Mk1 fullsize, Mk3), and more.

I don't carry small kits (tins). Nothing against them - I just don't carry them. If I did it would be Doug's PSP with some additions (purification tablets, lighter, ...).

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 01:47 PM

Pardon me asking Ken, but what is a lightning detector exactly? I mean I get the principal behind it (it obviously detects lightning)but I have honestly never heard of that. How big? how does it work? Lightning must be a real concern in your neck of the woods.

I never warmed up to the things on my zipper idea either, with the exception of a small knife (outdoor edge brand I think) which is real handy pinned to the zipper of my life vest when kayaking.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 03:34 PM

The design merits of that key fob are debateable. However seeing the plethora of absolute junk for sale elsewhere on that site (who has the moral ineptitude to market a $2.48 compass?), I won't be shopping there.
Posted by: Meadowlark

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 05:10 PM

An inner zippered pocket is better, I agree.

I like my emergency items easy to reach, not all tied up in paracord. That said, if someone decides to purchase a fob like this, I can't fault them for it (except to say that it looks like something they could easily make themselves.)
Posted by: KenK

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Stephen
Pardon me asking Ken, but what is a lightning detector exactly? I mean I get the principal behind it (it obviously detects lightning)but I have honestly never heard of that. How big? how does it work? Lightning must be a real concern in your neck of the woods.

I never warmed up to the things on my zipper idea either, with the exception of a small knife (outdoor edge brand I think) which is real handy pinned to the zipper of my life vest when kayaking.

http://www.strikealert.com/

Its a pretty cool little device that not only can tell you when lightening is a real threat - which is a big issue when camping without grounded shelters - but it can also tell you whether the lightening strikes are "coming" or "going". That is pretty cool.

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/25/12 11:33 PM

Thanks Ken,

Usually I am fairly antigadget as I break everything I touch, but I can surely see the utility of one on these.

It would be a blessing for those long canoe trips where I have had to paddle like a madman to get to shore after a storm brewed up out of nowhere.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/26/12 10:01 PM

3 inches of duct tape equals gimmick.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 06/28/12 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: jshannon
3 inches of duct tape equals gimmick.

I agree. Anything less than 3 feet is marginal at best.
Posted by: gitnready4it

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 07/07/12 04:12 PM

Cool idea but i prefer things separate in my pocket with a small paracord fob attached to each so i can grab what i need.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 07/07/12 05:05 PM

That's a cool item. However, I'd be more interested in making it myself. It would be a fun project, and I'd pick up a skill.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Survival key fobs & zipper pulls - 07/29/12 08:52 PM

Perhaps using a tiny whistle as a zipper fob?