Cell Phone Survival Tools-Amusing

Posted by: gonewiththewind

Cell Phone Survival Tools-Amusing - 06/15/12 02:43 PM

Art of Manliness Cell Phone Survival

Not entirely amusing, just something I ran across.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Cell Phone Survival Tools-Amusing - 06/15/12 03:41 PM

That's actually pretty darn good stuff...!

I don't see needing to make an arrowhead out of the circuit board, but it would be a great way to produce an edge and make a pile of dry shavings for tinder.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Cell Phone Survival Tools-Amusing - 06/16/12 09:05 AM

Some serious creative thinking going on there. Unfortunately, most people who are that resourceful already have and edge, fire and courage stashed about their person.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Cell Phone Survival Tools-Amusing - 06/17/12 02:37 PM

Quote:
Sweep the magnet across the metal wire in the SAME direction 10 or so times. Make a mental note of the direction you are sweeping the magnet. This is the end of the wire that will point NORTH.
I think whether that end points north depends on whether you are stroking it with the north end of the speaker magnet. Which is hard to know, and even if you do know it's hard to remember whether it should be the north end or the south end. In practice, compasses improvised like this need to be calibrated. (Which may be doable, since you only need to know north very approximately to tell which end of the wire is pointing that way; and worth doing, as the compass may be useful when your calibration reference stops being available.)

There's probably a bigger, stronger magnet in car speakers than in a phone.
Posted by: ChurchCCOC

Re: Cell Phone Survival Tools-Amusing - 06/21/12 02:13 AM

Thanks for sharing that. I't most definitely come in handy to know what can be used from a tore apart cell phone.

Cheers!
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Cell Phone Survival Tools-Amusing - 06/21/12 05:50 AM

I'm always up for a good improv. I do it , I love it; it's a grand hobby.

But I have to say: by the time most people are willing to bash apart (sacrifice) their cell phone, they are too far gone to perform all these clever tricks.

If you're in a pickle, you will use the basic tools that are ready-to-go. That is, basic and effective tools, in your pocket. There is no magical time-out while you cleverly improvise stuff out of other stuff. That's movie horse-**** In the real world, the clock is ticking.

My 2c.
Posted by: gitnready4it

Re: Cell Phone Survival Tools-Amusing - 07/07/12 04:03 PM

Interesting stuff, just not sure how practical. I think i'm with dougwalkabout on this one.