Upgraded My Survival Kits Container Just Abit

Posted by: Frisket

Upgraded My Survival Kits Container Just Abit - 06/09/12 12:30 AM

While I LOVED the container I had my kit in I was very worried about the lid. It just kinda slipped on no real belief for me in its waterproofness. SO! I bought a slightly taller one with a snaptop lid and O ring lip and Now Im able to include somthing i been wanting to include greatly, 4 AAA Lithium Batteries still in their cardboard/plastic blisterpack.

I also seem to have enough room ontop for say a Handkerchief But Right now it has a handfulla Hairnets for making fishing nets and bug nets and the such.

Any ideas for the extra space ontop?

I am also thinking about including a Analog/Digital Wrist watch. I believe the combination of analog/digital gives the watch more greater options such as using the Analog face to Tell direction using the sun/objects and using the Digital ability for stopwatch/date/alarmclock gives better awareness to time to do things/Timing certain things more on the spot.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Upgraded My Survival Kits Container Just Abit - 06/09/12 10:05 AM

If you're truly "surviving," I think a watch is wasted space. It's not like you have a date that's waiting to get picked up.

Besides, one should already be on your wrist. And if you need direction finding abilities, put a compass in instead of a watch.

Instead of a handkerchief, how about a brightly colored bandana? still works for your runny nose, but can be used as a signal flag or trail marker as well.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Upgraded My Survival Kits Container Just Abit - 06/09/12 11:30 AM

Is this the kit we are talking about? http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=215692&page=1

Your list is already impressive.

I'm with MDinana about the watch. You've got a button compass so maybe an upgrade to a full sized compass. You know how to use one and you've got good situational awareness so a full sized one with some additional features would give you an advantage.

I think you've already got a bandana but a second one is a good idea. A bandana is multi-purpose but that totally depends on how you use it. It can't be a pressure bandage and a broad bandage at the same time, for instance.

Here's a few more ideas you might want to consider: Power snack? Bug juice or sunscreen? Emerg poncho? Headlamp? More duct tape or cordage?
Posted by: boatman

Re: Upgraded My Survival Kits Container Just Abit - 06/09/12 03:37 PM

Do not let it get to big as you might want to leave it behind.+1 to what Frisket said,dedicated items instead of improvised ones....

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Upgraded My Survival Kits Container Just Abit - 06/09/12 10:24 PM

A timepiece will be important if your terrain and situation
dictates route finding using dead reckoning.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Upgraded My Survival Kits Container Just Abit - 06/10/12 03:12 AM

Diana is right. I would suggest a survival bandanna. And I'd ditch the hairnets. Can't see them catching anything larger than minnows. How about adding food? Like bars and tablets? Good move on the upgrade.
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Upgraded My Survival Kits Container Just Abit - 06/10/12 01:05 PM

I keep a watch in my pack because I don't normally wear one. I usually depend on my smart phone, but in an emergency situation that might not work.