Sport Utility Blanket

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 01:05 AM

Has anyone tried Adventure Medical Kit's Sport Utility Blanket?

Is it comfortable to use? What is the care instructions (machine washable, etcetera)?

I need something compact and comfortable when I need spend a night or more at a friend or relatives' house. It needs to be easy to clean.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: celler

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 02:58 AM

This "blanket" appears to be more designed toward shelter use and waterproof capabilities than comfort. I have a similar product. It would be nice to have for an emergency, but I do not believe the it would be very comfortable for common indoor use. I would think that a standard army surplus wool blend blanket would likely be much better suited to your intended use.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 03:14 AM

Even better than wool would be a fleece blanket. It seems to me that they are slightly lighter for equivalent weight.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: celler
This "blanket" appears to be more designed toward shelter use and waterproof capabilities than comfort. I have a similar product. It would be nice to have for an emergency, but I do not believe the it would be very comfortable for common indoor use.

Thanks for the info. I will look at other options.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 03:22 AM

What about a fleece sleeping bag? Ten dollars at big five, compact and reasonably warm. Or an inexpensive sleeping bag? They can be opened and used as a comforter. Hope this helps.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 03:37 AM

Ditto Snake Doctor.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43014?feat=1097-GN2

I have one in my SUV and my camping trailer and the house... These are terrific.
Posted by: comms

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 04:18 AM

you can't go wrong with Army Poncho Liner.

However, i have a Therm-A-rest Tech Blanket and love it. I use it for all my traveling and car camping now. I am 5'10, fit but wide in the shoulder, I have the regular and it feels just an inch too small snapped together but not enough to deter my use. My next will be the Large. If you buy the fitted sheet as part of the sleep system (it goes over your air mattress) there are snaps on the fitted sheet that mate to the Tech Blanket which makes it just like sleeping in a twin bed.
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 05:37 AM

Two yards of fleece material from the fabric store makes a nice compact and inexpensive blanket for around $16. Less if you find a remnant or close-out pattern.

If you get down to Peru or neighboring South American countries, you can find alpaca-wool blankets for $15-20 each. Extremely lightweight but very warm and comfortable.

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 12:42 PM

Hey dagny. They are great. I bought a used Swiss military tapered model from Cheaper Than Dirt back when they were 5.99. Makes a great liner for winter bags (no cold nylon contact) and adds warmth and that comfy feel. I have slept out in it on a few chilly desert nights. It sounds like she need something that will fit in her travel bag. I think it would be her best option. Just Ol' Snakes opinion.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 03:43 PM

I use a GI poncho liner....I've known guys that fell in love with their liner smile

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 08:29 PM

Those must have been som very lonely guys Les! LOL!
Posted by: Ironwood

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/23/12 11:32 PM

Sew a zipper into a military PONCHO LINER and never leave it behind. Mine has been with me for 15+ years. They are AWESOME. US Marines call it their Woobie, it is even on the packing list titled tha way. Try one and you will see why.

Ironwood
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/24/12 04:26 AM

Whatever you decide for blanket or bag,Definitely get yourself a Silk liner bag,they are multi-use & very comfortable,very lightweight,very cheap!They work well alone in the summer,& add warmth when it's chilly.You can get them on Fleabay for about 15 bucks delivered! wink
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 05/24/12 10:14 AM

$10 at Walmart, fleece sleeping bag.

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 06/08/12 06:24 PM

Ranger Rick used to sell a conversion kit for poncho liners, full length and head zippers. Very nice. I loaned mine out and it never came back.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 06/08/12 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Whatever you decide for blanket or bag,Definitely get yourself a Silk liner bag,they are multi-use & very comfortable,very lightweight,very cheap!They work well alone in the summer,& add warmth when it's chilly. You can get them on Fleabay for about 15 bucks delivered! wink

I saw one of these at an outdoor store shortly after Richacal's suggestion so I picked one up. I'm very happy I did! It's lightweight, snuggly, small (it's a bit smaller than my 32 oz Nalgene) and it didn't break the bank. ($19.99 regular, on sale for 45% off.) Thanks for the tip Richacal! I love my fleece sleeping bag liner but it's too big to pack in my EDC daypack/GHB. This silk liner is perfect!

Re: Sport Utility Blanket - 06/08/12 07:11 PM

I have silk long underwear but have never tried the sleeping bag. I know that they are pretty much required in many European hostels. And would have been a blessing many times in the Middle East. Jac finds all the good deals. I rarely do frown