Backpacks

Posted by: Bingley

Backpacks - 05/22/12 01:21 PM

Help me find the perfect bug out backpack!

Currently my BOB is the Bailout Bag made by LA Police Gear. While it's sturdy, with many pockets and compartments for organization, I gradually realized (1) it's really heavy for what it can hold; (2) it doesn't hold much; (3) it's a shoulder bag, which is not as ergonomic. After my CERT course, I started liking backpacks a lot better (we were issued the CERT backpack for the duration of the course). The shoulder bag would be a pain if I have to walk on foot for any distance.

So I'm looking for something
-- Is ergonomic, or at least comfortable to carry. I don't want to put more than 40 pounds of stuff in the bag.
-- Isn't too heavy.
-- Has many pockets/compartments for organization.
-- Has pockets in front of the body, so if I want to get something I don't have to set the bag down.
-- Does not make me stand out. (This, and the weight requirement, may rule out a lot of tactical bags.)

There are probably other criteria that I am not yet aware. Maybe the discussion will help clarify what I need.

Alright, ye backpacking gods, hit me with your best shot! Thanks!
Posted by: Lono

Re: Backpacks - 05/22/12 02:54 PM

Head into an REI and pick out a pack that fits you - carrying 40 lbs, fit and comfort are your biggest priority. Usual drill - load the pack with 40 lbs of weight, and carry it around the store for 15-20 minutes while you're shopping for something else, and see if it fits your frame.

Personally I have settled on the Kelty MAP 3500, available at http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3500-three-day-assault-pack.html. Its about $95 in the non-camo colors, its bomb proof, and carries a load well on my shoulders. I use one as my every day day pack out hiking, which carries gear for an emergency overnight etc. I don't think it meets your criteria for lots of pockets - it has no more pockets than the average pack, and imho no more pockets than are necessary. The MAP has tactical applications (I've seen military deploying with them) but fits in on the trail. I own a few, one has had weekly use for the past 3-4 years and it has held up really well, no tears or stress failures. I bought a couple more and built my office GHB in one, and another bag I keep at home. They fit my back and are familiar and comfortable from the get go, typically holding 25-30 lbs.

Gregory also makes some very nice packs, personally I like the Tarne for about $125.

In the event of a disaster, wearing a back pack will make you stick out no matter what you want. A tactical bag wouldn't really stand out so much more than another bag of similar heft. So you look like you might have bought it from Cabelas, big deal.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Backpacks - 05/22/12 03:33 PM

What does the Kelty 3500 weigh? Can't find it anywhere so usually
that means it is on the heavy side.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Backpacks - 05/22/12 05:08 PM

Ditto on REI. I'd also shop LL Bean (free shipping and great return policy) - I have several of their daypacks. The biggest I have is their "white mountain" pack for women. I usually catch them on sale. Excellent quality from a terrific company. The packs all come with a waterproof cover built in.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1098?nav=ln

As for pockets on the front of the pack, I would simply add accessory bags/pockets. I have these two below from Campmor - super light. My fave of all time is one that was part of LL Bean's fishing bag collection several years ago. I like these accessory pack pockets for storing compass, firesteel, etc - basic survival gear that can then be easily switched out between different backpacks.

Horizontal backpack bag
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42223

Vertical backpack bag
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42222

I'm also fond of these "belt pouches" because they are light and spacious. And simple.

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Pouches%20&%20Bags.htm

In my SUV at all times is the LL Bean "Bigelow" pack that received Backpacker magazine's "Editors Choice" award several years running.

For serious non-auto "bugging out" I'd be wearing the Bigelow and putting the White Mountain atop one of my bike trailers that is outfitted with a cargo rack.
Posted by: comms

Re: Backpacks - 05/22/12 06:19 PM

REI stores have good stuff that you can pull off the shelf and try. +1 on that recommendation. Look at their supply of Osprey and Arc'trex they, come in more civilian coloring and hold up well.

For years I EDC a Bug Out Bag brand (BOB) backpack. it is very close to bombproof, trust me, I destroyed it. its a cross between an assault pack and a day pack so lots of dedicated areas for pens, laptop, hydration, descent sized main pack. I used it for business and personal EDC without a second glance. I use a GORUCK GR1 now and probably wont buy another day pack ever again.

I would stay away from 5.11 bags. Say what you want on their other gear and clothes but I have destroyed there Rush 18 and Rush 24 packs in less than a month. I mean to the point of unusable.

I also recommend Mystery Ranch. They make outstanding packs, more than you would ever need for durability and adaptability.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Backpacks - 05/22/12 06:24 PM

Backpacks and proper fit and needs are as individualistic as shoes or boots. What fits and works for one person may not be right for you. Before purchasing, head out to the local gear stores and try out various packs. Most stores have different weights that will allow you to judge the fit and comfort level as a full 40 lb pack will fit and feel much different then the same pack when it is 1/2 or any 1/4 full.

Posted by: GoatMan

Re: Backpacks - 05/22/12 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
So I'm looking for something
-- Is ergonomic, or at least comfortable to carry. I don't want to put more than 40 pounds of stuff in the bag.
-- Isn't too heavy.
-- Has many pockets/compartments for organization.
-- Has pockets in front of the body, so if I want to get something I don't have to set the bag down.
-- Does not make me stand out. (This, and the weight requirement, may rule out a lot of tactical bags.)

You may need to revisit your requirements first.
  • Lots of pockets/compartments for organization cause the pack to be heavy. If you want it light, reduce the overall number of pockets and unnecessary material.
  • Most any pack carrying anywhere near 40lbs is going to stand out. I assume you're wanting to carry good/comfortable shelter and overnight items to get to that weight? Generally, the smaller the pack, the less you will stand out.
You have to pick your pack only after you know what you need to put into it. While we all want to be prepared, really spend some time evaluating what you feel you are likely and even somewhat unlikely to encounter, sort your items and then pick the pack to fit. The closer you can get to a bag that resembles a general laptop bag or school bag, the better off you will be. Then just don't have it packed so full it looks like your splitting the seams. Ideally, needs to look more natural with extra space for a jacket, etc. If your circumstances are such that you need a large pack, you just have to give up staying under the radar.

Re: Backpacks - 05/22/12 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: clearwater
What does the Kelty 3500 weigh? Can't find it anywhere so usually
that means it is on the heavy side.

Honestly I don't know - I lost 70 lbs a few years ago, and anything I put on my back is gravy these days. The Kelty MAP is made of Cordura nylon so is probably heavier than equivalent back packs made of less durable nylon, but not inordinately so - its a low profile pack that packs the majority of your gear on your waist and not on your shoulders, so all in all it doesn't seem very heavy to me empty or loaded. An email to Amron Intl may get you an answer - I'll guess maybe 3-4 lbs. I find Kelty brand packs aren't in the lowest weight category, but they are well built and I like to carry them.

One other bit on your requirements, if you're packing 40 lbs in a BOB I submit you're over packing: I can pack full overnight gear and 3 days food in a Kelty. 40 lbs may be at the upper limit of many packs, particularly lightweight ones - the Gregory Tarne I cited weighs probably 2 lbs, is a great pack, but you would be maxing it with 40 lbs. I had similar issue with another Gregory lightweight pack - it was terrific with 25-30 lbs, but a bear to lug around with 35 lbs.

There are all sorts of ways to go, you can't go wrong if you spend some time finding what is comfortable for you - for me, at $95 I think the Kelty MAP has been a good choice.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Backpacks - 05/22/12 07:47 PM

I love this bag for comfort, sturdiness, and cost: http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html . It may be too tactical-looking for you.

I've also done very well buying Camelbak bags on closeout. I have a pair that serve as the primary BOBs for my wife and I.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Backpacks - 05/22/12 11:30 PM

I didn't like the LAPG 3-day bag, felt too cheap and lots of threads loose. Just seemed like you got what you paid for.

That being said, I have pretty much the same bag from Cheaper Than Dirt. Kind of heavy, but holds a lot, sort of comfortably. I did 5 miles in it the other day.

I bought something this for work/daily use - really wish I'd bought 2, as it would have a made a good light BOB. As it is, this bag would be my 'get home' bag if situation warranted.
http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-peregrine-29-backpack.html
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 01:41 AM

I'm tired and hungry after a workout, so let me just write a quick reply to acknowledge all this help--

Yes, I intend for the 40 lbs to be the theoretical upper limit. I would want to lug significantly less than that if I want to get anywhere. I just weighed my current kit (minus food & water, extra clothing, arms), and it comes out to around 18 lbs.

I have a Kelty ultralight backpack from REI. I'd mainly like to have more compartments, especially in the front, but as someone points out, that usually means more weight.

Thanks for your input, and I'll come back again when I have more questions to ask!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 03:39 AM

When I am contemplating a major pack purchase, I like to rent or borrow the model first and give it a good trial - at least an overnight. Teslinhiker is absolutely right when he talks about individual fit. What works for me may not be as good for you, and vice versa. Be aware that many of today's packs have fairly complex and intricate adjustment systems. The larger the pack, the more crucial these systems may be. I would think you would do well with something no larger than 4000 cubic inches, or even less, down to about 3500 cubic inches.

There are many fine brands of packs today. Even mediocre ones today are better than the top brands of a few years ago, although most "tactical" packs are rather unsophisticated, although they are tough. I use a Maxped Vulture II as an archaeological field pack - it stands up to rough work rather well, although it has some fairly laughable features that evidently give it tactical cred.

Don't forget you can modify and adopt any pack to your heart's content. It is easy to add custom pockets and the like.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 12:48 PM

Whats wrong with Cabelleas? I buy from them and I'm a happy customer.

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 12:53 PM

I have seen the outdoors Skyline in the Big 5 papers for a long time. I'm going to try to check them out today. I'll let you know if I think it'll fit your needs.I myself am looking for a pack for my summer homeless survival training. not for the weak of heart or squeamish.

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 01:06 PM

Hey b ingley. Have you considered a sternum pack. It fits between your sternum strap buckles and they usually are well organized. also you can mount pouches/pockets on most shoulder straps, or sew them onto your pack wherever you wish.

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 01:13 PM

The term "Tactical" usually makes me lmao. Most of the so called tactical gear/wear/packs I wouldn't consider taking into the field. I destroy typical daypacks quickly, but I salvage the hardware, straps etc for repairs.

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor

Nothing at all as far as I'm concerned, I shop there too. I mentioned Cabelas because they have a habit of marketing their camo colored stuff more prominently than, say, JC Penney's, or REI. No worries, maybe more of their customers feel better buying camo colored stuff. I think it tends to stick out in urban environments, although net net a camo backpack sticks out no more than a guy lugging an oversized bright blue backpack after a disaster. Its the size more than the coloring that is noticeable - if you want to go unnoticed and blend in with the crowd, go for a smaller kit if you can. Most people will be unprepared, carrying at most a bottle of water and their cell phone.
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 02:32 PM

I love my North Face Recon backpack.

According to the user reviews at the above link, most of the purchasers are students so it won't stand out like a tactical backpack.

The pack is well built and has lots of pockets and adjustments. I just recently discovered that it even has a whistle built into the chest strap buckle. Another unique feature is reflective strips on the back.

Specs:
Average weight: 2 lbs 8 oz (1135 g)
Fabric: 420D nylon, 1680D ballistics nylon
Volume: 1830 in³ (30 liters)
Dimensions: 18.5 in. x 13 in. x 8 in. (48 cm x 34.5 cm x 20 cm)

I have been using backpacks for over 40 years and this is the best one I have owned. I have had it for about a year and I carry it 3-5 times a week. It is my BOB.

I got mine at Sports Authority.

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor

Only thing wrong with them is they're pretty regional (so is Big 5). I'd never heard of them until I moved to Missouri. Bass Pro Shops too, for that matter. And Eastern Mountain Sports. REI at least is relatively nation-wide. You may only have a store per state, but it's there.
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 05:41 PM

I am in the IT Business, so I needed something I could carry my Laptop and IPAD around in, as well as have lots of storage for stuff I would want to have with me everyday.

This backpack is awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-GA-7305-14F...4029&sr=8-1

It hold's my 15.4 inch laptop, my IPAD, a leather portfolio, all my charging adapters, first aid kit, knife, flashlight and tools with ease. It has a TON of pockets, but also has very large storage areas outside of the laptop area for gear, clothing, etc.

The handle on it is nothing short of impressive. This is a very well made backpack!

You'll notice there's 450+ reviews for this backpack, and it's got a 4+ star rating. And it doesn't stand out. Also has pockets for my Nalgene bottle.

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 07:03 PM

Swiss Gear is pretty solid stuff, you can buy it places like Circuit City (when they were around), but for some reason I don't like it. Nothing I can put a finger on either. I do have one of their computer briefcases, but rarely use it. But, yes, it's a valid option, relatively robust and low key. The prices can be pretty high though.

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 07:17 PM

Yeah Cabellas does push camo. Wish they had more stuff in solid black. I did look at the Skyline and it is far too small. However, hi tec has a 35 liter pack in off olive green that might be right for the guy who started this thread. As for huge packs drawing attention, my own mock bug out last week was an eye opener. and a #@%! buster. I'll be posting the details of it on my site.
+
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 07:46 PM

No ALICE pack fans here?

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 07:52 PM

Don't really care for the ALICE myself. Bad memories, lol.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Treeseeker

That's what I use for a daypack/bookpack as well, although it has to be about 7-8 years old now. It says it can hold 30 litres but that's only if you stuff the side water bottle pockets and the back mesh pocket. In reality it's more like a 20 litre pack. I have an honest 30 litre daypack that I can stuff a lot more in it. (I have 6 backpacks in total.)

What I do like about the pack is the small waterproof pocket on the back. This is where I store my PSK, FAK, whistle, compass, SOAP notes, etc. I strap my Leatherman /w bit kit on one of the side straps, my camera /w spare batteries goes in the one of the side mesh pockets. The hydration bag sits in the pocket nearest the back which leaves the main pocket for gear like a jacket & lunch and the smaller secondary pocket for things like keys, pen/pencils, twisties, headlamp, etc. I suppose that if I used the lashing staps on the bottom I could really load it up if I wanted to.

The really fun thing about this daypack is that the waistbelt folds and hides behind the main panel. Most of the time I tuck it away on my trips to and from the office. On occassion, I will do up the chest strap and for heavier loads I will loosen the load levellers all the way and do up the waist belt so that the weight sits on the hips. 20#s is about the max you might want to use comfortably but I have toted a 25# load occassionaly.

It's uncommonly versatile - good for day hikes as well as a book pack or computer bag for my 14" laptop. It doesn't look obtusive or too colourful (mine is grey).
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Backpacks - 05/23/12 11:29 PM

I like the looks of the larger packs posted, but they all look
short. Even ordered a couple of the LL bean packs, but the waist
belt is up around my navel.

Any packs with a usable hip belt out there? Other than full on
multiday backpacking versions?
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Backpacks - 05/24/12 12:50 AM

I went with Camelbaks for all of us. We do biking/hiking/etc so there are at times others with them so we blend in.
I did buy myself the military one in blank and the wife and kids have the more colorful consumer ones.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Backpacks - 05/24/12 01:01 AM

There is no perfect bag. But I'd get one with nice padded straps and a belt strap - Maybe hydration? then, Don't carry everything (!) even a biggish school bag will work
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Backpacks - 05/24/12 04:47 AM

Survival Resources sell a variety of Ribz packs,of which make things available upfront.They are not backpacks but an effective accessory to a backpack or Lumbar pack system.Can be used alone,should you need to go light,also eliminates putting all your eggs in 1 basket,so to speak.No affiliation with the above site other than a Longtime Very satisfied customer! cool
Posted by: widget

Re: Backpacks - 05/24/12 06:09 PM

I have a Camelbak Rim Runner, 2007 model that I have used since 07. Nice bag, great quality overall. I had been using it every week for dayhikes until one day someone pointed me to a sale on Kelty packs. I bought a Kelty Peregrene 1800 pack for $40 with free shipping and transfered my normal daypack items over to the Kelty, including the hydration bladder. I then took it out to one of my regular trails and did a 6 mile hike.

I was amazed at how much more comfortable the Kelty was over my Camelbak. I had no sore spots, no aches or pains and pretty much felt like I had no pack on at all. I had even added more weight to the load because of weather, I added a sweater, rain jacket and rain pants. Great pack!

I used a Kelty Tioga pack for decades, one of the original made in USA Kelty packs and loved it until my mountaineering drove me to an internal frame pack. I need to try that old Kelty frame pack out again, just to see how it feels after all these years.
Kelty has always sold quality packs, especially back when they were made in California by the original company. They always have had decent prices too.

I just bought another Kelty 1800 Cu.in. pack that is black and gray and very light weight. We are going to Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, Disneyland, Balboa Park, the USS Midway and whatever else we can fit into the itinerary. I figured a good civilian pack that was semi expendable was what I needed and this pack was right at $30, shipped.
Posted by: comms

Re: Backpacks - 05/24/12 10:08 PM

It just goes to show that picking a bag for yourself is a intensely personal decision with a multitude of factors. Its also what makes talking about them so great.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Backpacks - 05/25/12 05:42 AM

comms hit the nail on the head,"intensely personal"
behind me at the moment are the two Duluth Packs i'll be taking on my two week canoe solo.i have been packing for these trips since the early 80's and while i have the general idea down pat every year it seems new all over again.
it's not the big stuff like the tent and sleeping bag it's the small stuff.should i take my good working knife,the Mora 2000,or go with the somewhat fancy Karesvando with the Birch handle. a simple Gaz burner and some carts or a classic Primus stove for fun and photos.i was on the phone with a East Coast Buddy a few days ago and he was of the same mind.take of leave a few feet of copper wire "just in case"
packing the BOB's and the EDC's are just as bad,if not worse,because with them there is no going back..
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Backpacks - 05/25/12 04:09 PM

Canoedogs,

I took out my canoe kit (also my BOB) last weekend to get some stuff out of it. Mine is also in two Duluth style packs, one about 35 years old (a Camp Trails) and one (from Cabela's - a waterproof one) is only a couple of years old. For the canoe or use in camping from light aircraft I think they are still a great choice. Since mine is set up for a 2 week trip, it also is a great BOB if long carries are not anticipated.

Where is your trip headed?

Day packs are very personal. I like top opening with a few pockets and VERY tough (I carry rocks and lots of equipment).
My everyday one is an old 2800 cu. in. Kelty day pack with a few mods (mostly the addition of a back pocket for an ensolite pad). The 3 pockets (two side for water bottles and one top) are great to me.

I do have a 24 hr SAR bag that is a medics pack from London Bridge Trading. A great pack with lots of pockets. Easy to access the gear (especially FA stuff) through the panel opening. Tough. Expensive (if you buy new, I got mine second hand - near new for a lot less). Heavy. Very comfortable.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Backpacks - 05/25/12 04:47 PM

Jerry..i'll be up on Lac La Croix in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the USA and a huge lake with 100's of islands.i'll be portaging thru several small lakes at some point to get back into a "permit only--one issued only"
remote lakes area.that is the only place i worry about a survival problem as i'll be the only person back in there,it's a solo trip.with the heavy rains the rangers may not be flying as many fire watches.i have been back in there before so i know what to expect.

this is my Duluth Pack.i take another one without the side pouches as a food and cooking gear bag.yes i hang it away from bears.the pack may look heavy but it's just the bulk of a sleeping bag,clothes,rain suit..that sort of thing.

Re: Backpacks - 05/26/12 09:11 PM

I bought a Snugpak Sleeka Force 35 from Botach Tactical, on discount for $55. It's dark brown, a bit darker than "coyote" color. Seems solid, fairly simple, good waist belt. Runs 35 liters (hence the name), but you probably get 2-3 of those with the side pockets. Seems good in the one day so far I've used it, very comfortable. I'm 5'8, and it sits just about perfect on me. I would estimate you could use it as a 72 hour bag if you packed light - say, 3 MRE's, fleece jacket, and nylon pants would probably take about 3/4 of the main pocket. A 1-liter Nalgene would fit in each side pocket, with maybe a little room to spare. For the price it was worth the gamble.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Backpacks - 05/26/12 09:49 PM

The best and most supportive waist belts will be on the "multiday backpacking versions'" typically 70 L and up. After all that is the size range where the waist belt is really needed. Many packs come in different sizes and/or can be adjusted so as to fit a wide range of torso sizes. It might be worth your while to visit a quality, specialized outdoors store and get fitted for a backpack. The belt should fall well below your navel, obviously.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Backpacks - 05/27/12 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Jerry..i'll be up on Lac La Croix in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the USA and ......
smile Ahem......last time I checked, Alaska was still part of the USA, and is a good bit further north than the Boundary Waters. I'm pretty sure you really meant ".....in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the lower 48 USA and ....." smile
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Backpacks - 05/27/12 05:47 AM

Without even looking,I'm fairly certain Vermont,New Hampshire,Maine,& The upper peninsula of Michigan are a tad further North,as well.If I'm wrong,It won't be the 1st time nor the last,I'm sure grin
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Backpacks - 05/27/12 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Jerry..i'll be up on Lac La Croix in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the USA and ......
smile Ahem......last time I checked, Alaska was still part of the USA, and is a good bit further north than the Boundary Waters. I'm pretty sure you really meant ".....in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.it's as far north as you can get in the lower 48 USA and ....." smile
Although, even as an Alaskan, at times I do wonder if Alaska is really part of the US. As a well known author so aptly put it:

"Alaska is a foreign country significantly populated with Americans. Its languages extend to English. It's nature is its own."
- John McPhee (from 'Coming Into The Country')

Re: Backpacks - 05/27/12 12:51 PM

Although, even as an Alaskan, at times I do wonder if Alaska is really part of the US. As a well known author so aptly put it:

"Alaska is a foreign country significantly populated with Americans. Its languages extend to English. It's nature is its own."
- John McPhee (from 'Coming Into The Country')

Alaska, like Hawaii, is extremely unique. I'm sure the sudden change from the 48 contributes to it. While the 48 has some pretty amazing places, the gradual change in topography probably blunts some of the 'wow' factor. Ie, I can see the Rockies coming from 100 miles away.

Great quote though. I might have to steal it!

Re: Backpacks - 05/27/12 05:16 PM

maybe i should have said "in Minnesota"---
i don't get around much so it's like the world stops at Wisconsin with stories about these places to the West with big hills"mountains"? and to the South where the corn and pigs come from.....
the border up there is very wild and snakes around so much that you can canoe through a passage between islands that can't be anymore that 50 feet wide with the US on one and Canada on the other side,or stand on a rocky point along a river,the Bottle,and have Canada just feet away in mid-river on either side of you.
the treaty that ended the Revolution allows you to walk the portages that might be in Canada,or the US if you are from Canada, but only to pass thru along the border.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Backpacks - 05/27/12 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Without even looking,I'm fairly certain Vermont,New Hampshire,Maine,& The upper peninsula of Michigan are a tad further North,as well.If I'm wrong,It won't be the 1st time nor the last,I'm sure grin

The northern most part of the continental USA is the Northwest angle which is the only part of the country north of the '49th parallel. I learned this back in grade school. Northwest Angle The residents have to drive through southern Manitoba to get to and from their property. I'm a little surprised you Americans are not more aware of this tidbit. It a bit like learning that to get to Detroit you have to go NORTH from Windsor, Ontario. Or finding out that the border along the '49th parallel isn't a perfectly straight line but wobbles in a very minor zig zag by as much as a few hundred metres. (Original surveys were not as accurate as today's GPS systems.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Backpacks - 05/29/12 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
I didn't like the LAPG 3-day bag, felt too cheap and lots of threads loose. Just seemed like you got what you paid for.

I was thinking about getting one of these for a backpack-type BOB. They are certainly inexpensive. I have a nice Deuter Futura 32 that I use for normal hiking around, so I really don't want to buy another "good" pack. Just something that will hold up well enough to make a reasonable BOB. Probably never to be used in real life - just sit in a closet loaded up with gear in case we have to leave quickly.

Do you think this LAPG bag would work for the BOB backpack purpose? I have some of LAPG branded stuff and I'm impressed with the quality. Their "Bail Out Bag" (handheld) and a MOLLE bad that they don't make anymore. I consider both of those, although inexpensive, quite heavy duty. I was hoping their 3-Day Pack would be similar. I will not be hiking day after day with this thing, even in an emergency, so I don't need the ultimate in comfort. This would be for emergency bug-out only (I might actually wear it from the house out to the truck, then throw it into the truck bed!)