"In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT

Posted by: UrbanKathy

"In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 02:50 AM

A very dear friend of mine took a terrible, terrible fall this morning. She has a habit of not taking ID when she does a quick run to the stores. So today she only had her cell phone on her. My number was the first listed in the "In Case of Emergency" slot on her phone. I got a call at work from the EMTs because they didn't know her name (she couldn't tell them) or her medical history. So here is case where an FDNY EMT actually did use a cell phone in an emergency. Please...fill in your emergency numbers...and always take ID.

Good health to you all.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 05:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she's alright.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 12:55 PM

to echo Bingley, I hope she is all right

in addition to an ICE phone number stored in your cell phone...its pretty easy to generate a list of emergency personal contact numbers (be sure to save the list as your relatives may change numbers as often as mine do), doctor's office, and list of prescription medications... reduce print size, and DIY laminate with a piece of heavy duty clear packing tape... place in your wallet in the driver's license pocket...
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 03:30 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, UrbanKathy. Thank you for letting us know about FDNY using a phone that way.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 04:17 PM

I'm sorry about your friends accident. I wish her a speedy recovery. My cell doesn't have an ICE application.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 04:57 PM

just add "ICE" or " In case of emergency" and the cell numbers in your phone book -- That's where they'll look.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 07:39 PM

Not to be a downer, but I never have used ICE either as an EMT or a physician. Too busy w/ other things ...
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 08:12 PM

If whatever gets me doesn't get my phone, hopefully the hospital will call my wife once I'm stabilized.
Posted by: Russ

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 08:17 PM

Road ID -- I have one in bright yellow. Otherwise not affiliated.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/29/12 08:32 PM

Consider signing-up with the Medic Alert Foundation (a not for profit)and obtaining their engraved neck medallion or bracelet. Even if you have no defined medical need for this ID, you can have your name, blood type, religion, emergency contact number, allergies,etc., engraved on the back of the rather inconspicious medallion/brecelet. You also have the Foundation's "800" number and your registration number. The police/hospital can call their registry and get your complete medical history (you submit it when you sign up), along with other emergency and contact info. A life membership allows you to update for free. EMTS and police know to look for them on your neck/wrist along with a wallet card containing more details (e.g. a list of your daily meds). Cheap insurance. Usual disclaimers.

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/30/12 01:27 AM

First, thanks everyone for your kind words. I just got back from the hospital, and what a difference a day and a half makes. Although she broke many bones on one side of her face, her eye socket, and had some bleeding on the brain, she's come back very well. The bleeding has almost stopped, and they were able to save her eye (not 100% vision, but decent or good vision they think). At first she didn't know anyone, including her daughter, but now she's giving orders! Back to her old self.

More to the point, LesSnyder: For the past few years I've been doing just that for her (she is elderly)--typing her meds and conditons on a small card along with her name and month/year so that she could just hand EMT the card. Unfortunately, she didn't bring her pocketbook or wallet and couldn't tell them anything. But I have been able to use it for my Mom and Dad whenever they went to the hospital--just hand it to EMT. It's clear and they appreciate it.

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/30/12 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, UrbanKathy. Thank you for letting us know about FDNY using a phone that way.

I always pray that when I have to call an ambulance (for family) that it's FDNY EMT. They really are the BEST!
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/30/12 11:39 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Kathy. I hope she's OK.

Great advice to keep an ICE contact or two in your one. As Les says, I also carry an ICE sheet in my wallet. It's just a piece of paper with emergency contacts (hubby, mom, bff, dr, pharmacy knfo, etc.) but it's proment in my wallet and will work if I forget to charge it.
Posted by: ajax

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/30/12 02:47 PM

I have a Road ID as well. Just like a LiveStrong bracelet. Small, unobtrusive, waterproof. I never take it off.

There's also a free iPhone app called ICE Standard. It may not be helpful to the EMTs but it could speed up the identification process if you're incapacitated.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 03/30/12 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ajax
I have a Road ID as well. Just like a LiveStrong bracelet. Small, unobtrusive, waterproof. I never take it off.

There's also a free iPhone app called ICE Standard. It may not be helpful to the EMTs but it could speed up the identification process if you're incapacitated.

I like the look of that. I understand that Medical Alert has a bunch of modern style options as well, rather thank just the old metal bracelts and necklaces.

Thanks for the heads up. I think this is something that I'm going to look into.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: "In Case of Emergency" slot on cell phones and EMT - 04/06/12 03:36 PM

Also add a slot for " please return to" and a number. People are often very kind.