Peanut Lighters by Nagatac

Posted by: ireckon

Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 03/26/12 09:29 PM

These are new, or at least new to me.

http://www.fusiongear.com.au/lighters-peanut-petrol-lighter-c-49_196.html

Those seem to be like the Countycomm peanut lighters, just a different shell.

http://www.countycomm.com/fire.html
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 03/29/12 01:11 AM

i've been using peanut lighters for years. great survival item. i carry one 24/7.

in fact, i was a member of the team that brought them to the usa back in 2007. here's the thread about it and how it all happen:
http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/42660-Can-any-recommend-some-good-keychain-sized-lighters

and a couple pixs i took of them back then:

Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 04/06/12 02:37 PM

The small peanut lighters can be a bit fiddly to use when your hands are cold.

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 04/06/12 10:20 PM

having tried a number of lighters, from mini bics to a bunch of different Colibri, so far i find the peanut the easiest and most reliable of the bunch.

for $10 its worth trying, and if you find you prefer something else, it still makes a great back-up in a survival kit.

in fact, i just bought two more peanuts in bright orange for my wife who spends her days alone deep in the wilderness, horseback pushing cattle.

custom orange (and other colors) versions over at CPF can be found here

Posted by: gitnready4it

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 04/07/12 06:11 PM

I bought my wife the split pea lighter from countycomm. It's made by Maratac. It's about half the size of the peanut lighter, made of solid stainless,and works very well. I'm getting the peanut for myself.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 04/07/12 07:19 PM

I own both the peanut lighter and the split pea lighter. My experience has been that the o-rings hold out for years and that they'll light on the first try after six months of storage or more. Usually when I refill them at that point they're full, or nearly so.

Back when I was a smoker I would drop a spare flint into the body of my Zippo before reinstalling the insert after refilling. I've done the same with my peanut and split pea lighters.

I've no affiliation with Countycomm/Maratac other than as a customer.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 04/07/12 11:38 PM

I am carrying a split pea County Comm lighter on my key ring. I have tested it a few times and it lights right up - makes me very happy.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 04/08/12 01:03 AM

Oh no! I feel like I need one of these!

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 04/08/12 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Oh no! I feel like I need one of these!

Don't worry, Countycomm doesn't ship outside the USA. You're safe.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 04/08/12 01:12 AM

PHEW!! LOL!!
Posted by: Denis

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 06/04/12 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I own both the peanut lighter and the split pea lighter.

I was just looking at these and the split pea lighters look like they'd make a great addition to a keychain. I'm wondering, how much fuel does one of those hold & how long would it burn for?

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Don't worry, Countycomm doesn't ship outside the USA. You're safe.

We aren't safe any longer smile. This guy sells CountyComm gear and will ship to Canada.

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 06/04/12 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Denis
I was just looking at these and the split pea lighters look like they'd make a great addition to a keychain. I'm wondering, how much fuel does one of those hold & how long would it burn for?

The answer to both questions is "not much". It's certainly enough to light several fires in good conditions, but I wouldn't rely upon it to dry out my tinder before lighting it or as any sort of long-term light source on its own.

My most recent tool maintenance exercise found that my peanut and split pea lighters had not lost a measurable amount of fuel in three months. Just make sure that you check the o-rings and replace them at appropriate intervals.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 06/04/12 08:03 PM

Is the peanut much better as far as fuel capacity & overall capability goes? I guess looking at the specs, both seem like they may actually be reasonable additions to a keyring. Is your peanut a part of your regular EDC?

Also, its good to hear there don't seem to be any evaporation issues.

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 06/04/12 08:26 PM

Evaporation has been very slow with mine. I did have one o-ring go bad and that one was bone dry. A new o-ring and a refill and all was well.

The peanut carries something like three times the fuel. I have a split-pea in my commuter kit and a peanut in my BOB. I don't EDC a lighter on my person.

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 06/05/12 04:46 PM

peanut test over at EDCF showed it worked after 59 weeks:

Non-Butane Lighter Review - Long-term Backup Viability
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 06/05/12 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote

peanut test over at EDCF showed it worked after 59 weeks:

Non-Butane Lighter Review - Long-term Backup Viability

I have cheapo peanut lighters from Dealextreme.com. They're sitting on a shelf and have held fuel for about 2 years and still going. I only light them about once every 6 months for kicks. I have to say that all this talk about fuel eventually running out of a peanut lighter, I have yet to experience it. I don't deny that it will happen. It just hasn't happened yet for my peanut lighters.

Let me check again right now... Yep, they still light up. In fact, they're still saturated with the fuel I put in there.

For that test in the link above, note the guy was lighting up his lighters EVERY week. So, the fuel ran out of the peanut lighters after 59 weeks probably because he was using them, not because they were leaking. Also, we can't say if his O-ring was in shape. 59 weeks is great, but again mine still light up after 2 years of rarely lighting up my peanut lighters.

Bottom line, a peanut lighter can serve as a damn reliable backup firestarter, especially if you hardly ever use it.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 06/05/12 07:19 PM

I would think the absence of a wind screen like on a ZIPPO it could still be used as an improvised Sparklite if the fuel was dry...,.

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 06/06/12 01:57 PM

This is a great article.. I've tried a couple of different lighters now.. I have a zippo, but the fuel evaporates in about 1 - 2 weeks... I spend more time filling it that actually using it.

I bought a Coleman butane lighter. Unless the lighter is "warmed up", it won't stay lit. Very annoying.

I see a peanut lighter in my future...
Posted by: Alex

Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac - 06/08/12 07:19 PM

I got similar peanut lighters from some online store and off eBay recently. They are made better than the plain one above because of a couple improvements. First of all the bottom of the lighter is flat, so it can stand upright freely, working as a hands free candle. The second feature - the last couple of threads for the cap are conical so you can not overtighten the gasket, damaging it or pushing it out of the dedicated groove, what may cause leackage or evaporation. However I'm still using a long piece of duct tape over the gasket as on my older lighters - I love dual purpose kits.