tip #1 Pack spare glasses

Posted by: TeacherRO

tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 12:25 AM

Pack spare glasses. That's it. An old pair or a spare pair, contacts ( add sun or reading glasses)
Posted by: hikermor

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 12:36 AM

I am with you on this. I make sure that I have an old pair along which works fine except for reading the very finest print; in fact, I often wear the old pair and save the newer glasses for critical situations.

I can't legally drive without glasses, so they are definitely a critical item. I need to squirrel away a pair so that I can safely retrieve them after a serious earthquake.....
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 01:09 AM

As a daily contact lens wearer, I ended up with three pairs of glasses. One pair is kept by my bedside, another in my BOB (which lives in my car). A spare set of contact lenses as well as spare glasses are kept in my office kit. It's pretty rare that I'm not within walking distance of either my car or my office.

There are some great online stores for glasses that kept the costs very reasonable.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 01:32 AM

I don't wear glasses for vision correction, but I do get migraines from squinting if I don't wear sunglasses every day. So I always keep a spare pair of them handy.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 06:10 AM

I need to get to the eye doc this week and get a new prescription.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 07:04 AM

and make sure that you keep you spares in a good solid case,mine is a old metal one and i keep the glassed wrapped up in one of those micro fiber cloths.
also..when you go for a eye exam you will have a hard time getting the Doc to write the PD on the RX sheet.knowing the PD allows you to order glasses via the web.most Dr's work with a store and the stores have a gizmo to measure the PD but you can do that yourself.before the stores had the gizmo they would just hold a ruler up to you eyes anyway.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 08:14 AM

I know what you mean. Federal law requires they give you your PD if you ask, but some of them really p!ss and moan about it.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 12:39 PM

I still recommend the folding glasses I discussed here: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post191264

They've been great so far. I did finally put them and some other key items in a smaller container.

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 06:05 PM

+1 on getting the PD and online ordering ( the pair I'm wearing now was an online purchase- works perfectly) and on metal containers -- I pack spares in metal, padded by a cloth and open cell foam.
Posted by: desolation

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/27/12 08:01 PM

You can get cheap Rx glasses at zenni optical. They aren't great quality, but they do in a pinch and the price is right. No affiliation beyond a customer.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/29/12 03:56 AM

Don't forget the included Fresnel lense in your DR-psk,can definitely save your ace,should your readers not be present when needed! cool
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 02/29/12 04:17 AM

I just tell my DR I need the PD for work, as they provide me with a pair of prescription safety glasses every two years. They don't, but it's easier than arguing.

A friend of mine used to be an optician. He told me that the materials cost for most any pair of eyeglasses is around $15. Everything else is brand name licensing, labor (he got paid $20/hr and took about 30 minutes to cut lenses and put in a frame) and store profit.

I've yet to order from Zenni, was wondering why the low opinion of their quality.
Posted by: desolation

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 03/01/12 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_M

I've yet to order from Zenni, was wondering why the low opinion of their quality.

I only have one pair of sunglasses from them. They work fine but quality of the frames is cheap. Several coworkers have also ordered from them. All are satisfied but all realize the frames need to be handled with more care than some of those they've gotten from their eye guy. All that said, I'd order another pair for a spare (or primary if funds were low).
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 03/01/12 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
....when you go for a eye exam you will have a hard time getting the Doc to write the PD on the RX sheet.knowing the PD allows you to order glasses via the web....
Dumb question, what is the PD?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 03/01/12 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Dumb question, what is the PD?

Pupillary Distance. It's the distance between the pupils of your eyes in millimeters, measured center to center.

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 03/29/12 05:01 PM

Ask your doc for this - they often don't offer it on your prescription, but you can have them write it in. Target optical did mine for free

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 05/14/12 06:22 PM

And a very solid case...spare glasses wrapped inside in foam or a small cloth
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 05/14/12 06:43 PM

a tip most users of glasses probably know, but just in case... if you curl your index finger over your thumb, to make a small approximately 6mm round aperture, and look through it, it will step down the field of view and allow you to focus better... went through basic training without my glasses this way
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 05/14/12 08:40 PM

I totally agree LesSnyder!

Last year, the canoe I was in tipped in the middle of the lake and my glasses went to the bottom.

I can't express enough how important it is to have a spare set available. Loosing those pretty much wrecked half the camping trip that weekend as I scrambled to get new ones made.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 05/15/12 04:57 AM

Not a dumb question. If you don't know something, just ask. I do.

Re: tip #1 Pack spare glasses - 06/13/12 11:25 PM

Yes - I travel with an old pair (current or last rx) in a hard case...would save time and aggravation trying to find news ones. And a pair of contacts. Cause I'm like that.