Primary Survival Knives

Posted by: Anonymous

Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 04:43 AM

Just curious. What is your primary wilderness survival knife? what would your dream Survival knife be? My primary is a Bowie i made, with a commercial surval knife as back up in case of loss or breakage. What sheathware do you use or prefer? Thanks for your responses and thoughts.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 05:35 AM

My primary survival knife is the one I ALWAYS have on me. Wilderness, urban, day, or night.

In my case, that is a Byrd Robin these days. In the past it was a Spyderco Native, but I've grown to like the less expensive Byrd Robin even better for day-to-day carry.

When I go out into the winderness I usually suppliment my primary survival knife (not replace it, supplement it) with something a little bigger. That may be a Mora Clipper or a Cold Steel SRK. Whichever I feel like lugging around at the time. The SRK is pretty heavy, so mostly it says at home while the Clipper gets to go. I bought the SRK only because it was on sale, a factory second, a long time ago ... $29. Couldn't resist at that price, even if it was a Cold Steel (a fairly low-end knife), but honestly it doesn't get much use.

I don't have a dream survival knife, because I think the ones I already have (although inexpensive) will do everything I could ever need.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 05:39 AM

My EDC is a Kershaw Ken Onion Tanto folder, never put my pants on without it. My SHTF knife would be my Cold Steel older model Recon Tanto (tough as nails and I got it used but for free). I keep it in the SHTF bag, which is always either in my Jeep or the house.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 08:38 AM

SAK - the one knife I am sure to have on me and reliable edc. You can get a lotdone with a SAK
Posted by: CoastalGuy

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 09:52 AM

Spyderco Atlantic Salt- bright yellow. I have it on my person 99% of the time. It is the knife that I will have with me if something happens- my dream knife would probably be an Al Mar SERE variation, or a Chris Reeve fixed blade.
If I go to a formal function, I scale down to a Spyderco Dragonfly, a small Leatherman, or an AG Russell gentlemans knife.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 10:06 AM

Some variety of Leatherman Tool, currently the Blast or Wave, along with an SAK Classic. Actually the Classic gets the job done most of the time. I sometimes throw in an CRTK Stiff Kiss, but that is rare....
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 12:09 PM

Current: Mora 840 / 860 (carbon v.s. stainless)

Dream: Fällkniven F1
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 12:41 PM

All my kits have a knife. (Buck, Rukko, CRKT, SAK, Gerber) Every kit has a folder, most have a multi-tool, and there's a fixed blade for my longer term kits, but I always have my Leatherman Wave on my belt. I also have an SAK on my keychain, which is almost always with me as well.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 01:29 PM

my EDC is a Benchmade Elishewitz Aeries Axis lock, and for more formal occasions a Reeve Sebenza

my GHB has a cut down 12" Collins SA (Guatemala) machete, and old Cold Steel SRK with carbon V blade, Victorinox Farmer

most of my outdoor recreation time is on the water, so typically have a Randall 5" #10, but lately have been carrying a Grohman #4

gave my Reeve Yarborough to a friend's son when he was deployed to Afghanistan
Posted by: ThinkThink

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 04:03 PM

My Camillus Heat is always in my pocket.
SOG Paratool on belt pretty much always.
On any outdoor hike/hunt/walk/adventure of any distance I have a Mora Bushcraft Triflex on my belt.
On a real backpack/longer dayhike, i add a gerber sportaxe.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 04:23 PM

My EDC is a Ritter minigrip. I swap it out for a full size Rittergrip or a EDC Forums Manix 2 with glowing scales, depending on the requirements.

My favorite fixed blade is a Ritter Mk.2. It's usually in my pack or strapped to the outside of it when I'm hiking.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 05:32 PM

I find myself walking around with a LM Charge TTi and a locking folder (Benchmade 940/710/RSK Mk1). How can it be considered a survival tool if you only carry it while camping?
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 08:03 PM

For the wilderness of work - a 1" SAK. (even THAT is officially prohibited)

For hiking- the 1" SAK and a Spec Plus Pilot Survival knife (model SP-2 I think). Carried in sheath on my pack's waist belt. Have used it most often as a sturdy cathole digger.
(I carry a diamond sharpening rod to touch it up if really needed)
Posted by: Alex

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 08:37 PM

I have the Leatherman Wave on my belt all the time. Cold Steel Bushman is in my camping gear.

My dream survival knife would be a solid prismatic piece of steel looking (and functioning) like a mix of knife, chisel, wedge, and hammer.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 09:11 PM

Kershaw Vapor II.

It is bigger than I used to want to carry but I have come to appreciate a larger blade.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/2011/01/cabelas-purchases.html
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 09:36 PM

Doug Ritter's MK3. Hands-down my favorite and must-pack for mountain hikes. Substantial but light (5.7oz). I have several Bark Rivers and a mountain of Moras - Doug's MK3 occupies the sweet spot in between for utility and value (still $165 after several years). I also have Beckers (neckers, BK2, BK7, BK9) and while a necker may also make the packing list, the 2-7-9 are too beefy and relegated to the vehicle.

Coincidentally, today a new knife arrived: the Mora Bushcraft Survival which comes with a firesteel and diamond sharpener attached to the sheath. It is more substantial than I expected, the handle feels comfortable and secure and I love that the firesteel (very nice and good-sized) and sharpener are secured to the sheath. I have not used it yet but it is already on the short-list for the backpack simply because it is so lightweight. By the way, though a big fan of Ragweed Forge (wonderful customer service) as the supplier of Moras, I bought this latest from Amazon because I get free shipping with Amazon Prime and the knife was $61 versus $70 at Ragweed Forge.

Below are pics of Doug's MK3 beside the new Mora Bushcraft. I also took pics of part of my stable of Mora's:

http://ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

The Bushcraft Survival is the newest addition to the line. It has a 4 1/4" blade of Sandvik stainless steel about 7/8" wide and .098" thick. The sheath is provided with a firesteel as well as a diamond sharpening plate. It comes with packed with two belt clips, the new style that encircles the belt, and the old style that clips over it. (You get one sheath and two clips.) The spine of the blade is squared to provide a scraping tool for the firesteel. (Never use the edge of the knife on the firesteel.) The rubberized handle provides a high-friction grip even when wet. It's quite the piece of kit. The firesteel works exceptionally well, and I found it easy to slowly scrape off slivers, then ignite them with a quick stroke. The diamond plate makes touch ups quick and easy. The knife and sheath weigh just over seven ounces. $70.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 09:42 PM

The photos below are all Moras. L to R on the photo with the sheaths:

Mora Classic 2, 840, the new Bushcraft Survival, 911, Classic 3

Top to bottom on the photo without the sheaths:

Mora Classic 3
Mora 911
Mora Bushcraft Survival
Mora 840
Mora Classic 2

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 10:42 PM

It looks like the new Mora Bushcraft series knives are quite a bit more expensive than the original Clippers and such. They appear to be slightly larger, but also three times the price.

One thing I really liked about the older Moras was that you had many different choices and they could be had for between $9 and $13.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/22/12 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
It looks like the new Mora Bushcraft series knives are quite a bit more expensive than the original Clippers and such. They appear to be slightly larger, but also three times the price.

One thing I really liked about the older Moras was that you had many different choices and they could be had for between $9 and $13.

There are still plenty of Moras on RagweedForge.com to be had for $11-14 (plus shipping, but that's a deal with RF, too).

I'm not sure what fraction of the $61 I paid for the Mora Bushcraft is attributable to the knife. The firesteel is worth, I'd guess, $10-12. The sharpener, I have no idea.

So $45-50 for the knife. Eh, I would not say it is worth $30-36 more than the 911 or 840. Definitely not.

Yet, I had to have it.

Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 12:28 AM

Very nice photos!

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Moras are probably the best bush crafting and survival knife out there next to Opinels. You can get a decent Mora and a decent Opinel for $30 together total. I love mine.

I love Opinels and have several, but I discovered a problem with them. If they get wet, even a little, the wood swells and you can't open them with your fingers.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 01:11 AM

They could probably fix it with a very thin nylon washer on each side of the blade pivot pin. Thats the point where it seizes.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 03:04 AM

I would have to say my Leatherman-Crunch,as I have it on me more often than not,then a Kershaw-1/2 ton in my front pocket,these 2 are my edc in the wire.When hiking,my RSK-MK.2 for primary,a ColdSteel-Bushman (with a 5/32"chainsaw file) for secondary with a Buck-Prince in my front pocket,of course I'll have the L-Crunch & ditch the 1/2 ton as, it's more suited for citylife.I will pack a Mora on occasion,or a Buck-110,depending on my activity/destination.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 03:22 AM

Thanks for the tips on the Mora Bushcraft Survival. I want a new fixed blade and love that it has a firesteel and sharpener attached to the sheath. I'm going to have to check that out!

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 04:08 AM

LOL! Good to know, Izzy. That's high praise in my books.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 05:25 AM

I like the Benchmade Griptilian. Doug Ritter speaks well of this knife, and as we know he has his own modifications. But even unmodified, it's a good knife. Well-balanced, ergonomic, the right length for most tasks, and a good compromise between agility and robustness. It's a very good EDC knife. I can't speak to wilderness survival since I don't have experience with that.

Someone mentioned the Cold Steel Recon tanto. I have one, too, but I'm not a big fan of it. It seems good for splitting things, but it's top heavy, the blade is too thick and too long, and the hilt is nothing to write home about. I don't find the knife that maneuverable. I've seen some other Cold Steel products, and they seem to go overboard with robustness for my taste.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 06:38 AM

This is what I currently take into the wilderness:

A Grohmann Outdoor Knife (factory second) and a Wenger Evolution S13.

That said, I am currently being tempted by a Bushcrafter with a Scandi grind by Blind Horse Knives.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 06:48 AM

That Grohmann is a nice looking knife. I like the lines of it. I've never heard of that brand before.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 07:05 AM

Grohmann Knives is a Canadian knife manufacturer based in Pictou, Nova Scotia.

Unfortunately this design isn't a part of their current line of knives; my understanding from Grohmann is that this was Duck Unlimited's (USA) Hallmark knife in 2006. I picked up a factory second they were selling through their clearance page.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 07:10 AM

It would be impossible for me to pic one! Forced to chose I guess I'd pick my Ontario RAT-7. It's really more of a camping blade than survival blade but it's a terror with wood processing. And I can carry a multitool in the pouch on the sheath. I've got a Felknivven F1 that I really like too, as well as an ESEE RAT3.

I love me some Moras! I have probably 30 of them. They are indeed very sharp but they don't hold their edge well working with hard wood. This might be blasphemy but I've converted several of my Moras to convex edges for strength. For a long time my Mora Tri-Flex was the survival blade I carried on my Maxpedition 12 x 5 water bottle survival kit; last year I replaced it with an SOG Field Pup. It's a bit more robust and the sheath has MOLLE attachments, better securing it to the Maxpedition. Plus I like the little pouch on the sheath- it's perfectly sized to fit my BlastMatch.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Denis
Grohmann Knives is a Canadian knife manufacturer based in Pictou, Nova Scotia.

Unfortunately this design isn't a part of their current line of knives; my understanding from Grohmann is that this was Duck Unlimited's (USA) Hallmark knife in 2006. I picked up a factory second they were selling through their clearance page.

Thanks Dennis. I like the looks of some of those and love that they're Canadian.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 12:57 PM

Grohmann makes nice knives. I have a few but they're all Nessies, not my favorite pattern. Quality blades but not my cup of tea. But I treasure them as they belonged to my dad.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Moras are probably the best bush crafting and survival knife out there next to Opinels. You can get a decent Mora and a decent Opinel for $30 together total. I love mine.

I love Opinels and have several, but I discovered a problem with them. If they get wet, even a little, the wood swells and you can't open them with your fingers.

I always used to carve the handle away beside the nail nick so I could get a better grip to overcome this. Also found the more I worked them, the less often they stuck - don't know if they loosened up or it was just wishful thinking.

But carbon steel and wood in a simple design is always going to need a little TLC
Posted by: Virginia_Mark

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 04:42 PM

Talking about a mans knife is like talking about his woman, handling her to but thats a different discussion. The knife above all things has to be fail safe, bomb proof, its the only tool that can provide all others if need be. Here is my woodsman pro from Blind Horse Knives - BHK

Blind Horse Knives - BHK

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 05:58 PM

Thanks for replying. Like your idea of a dream blade!

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 06:03 PM

Very nice! I had'nt seen that Ritter knife before. Thanks. Let me know how the new knife fares in the field.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Run2The9
The knife ..., its the only tool that can provide all others if need be.

I've been wanting a .45-70gov lever rifle for a while now. Would you mind whittling me one? laugh

Wow, that Blind Horse knife is a beauty too! I'm getting jealous of all these nice knife pictures. I'm perfectly happy with my Mora Clipper and Cold Steel SRK from a functional standpoint, but they don't look anywhere near as nice as some of the pictures in this thread!
Posted by: Virginia_Mark

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: Run2The9
The knife ..., its the only tool that can provide all others if need be.

I've been wanting a .45-70gov lever rifle for a while now. Would you mind whittling me one? laugh

Wow, that Blind Horse knife is a beauty too! I'm getting jealous of all these nice knife pictures. I'm perfectly happy with my Mora Clipper and Cold Steel SRK from a functional standpoint, but they don't look anywhere near as nice as some of the pictures in this thread!

Ok it can provide ALMOST all others..lol

Can I whittle you in a stick bow and arrows?... wink

Thanks for the complement on the knife, took me a good many years to break down and buy it, but I cherish the fact that it is probably the last one I will ever need to buy. I'm 41, so I know that knife has 30 years or so in it.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 06:25 PM

My EDC is a Smith & Wesson HRT. I had taken to carrying it in my coat pocket when in town. Great knife, bought it at Big 5 for $12.99. A friends child was nosing in my pocket and put it back half open. I cut my finger deeply enough to have nerve damage. And that was with a factory edge. It's a fine, strong, hand filling knife which can be used with glove. But a tad too heavy.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 06:28 PM

Very nice! The Grohmann is basic and strong looking. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 06:38 PM

I'm hesitant to talk about your knife after that lol. I really like the lines and design of it, but I would prefer a an extended hilt for safety reasons. Thnks for responding and the Great pic.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 07:49 PM

it is easy to cut the retaining strap on a Grohmann (I have a #4) if you are not really careful... my only minor criticism

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
it is easy to cut the retaining strap on a Grohmann (I have a #4) if you are not really careful... my only minor criticism

I've spent a little bit of time looking at the #4 Survival knife and there are sheath options out there without the strap. I've seen them sold with pouch sheaths, both those with and without a sharpening steel holder. It looks like the sheaths can be bought seperately as well.

Of course there is also the option of getting a custom sheath from a Canadian sheath maker. I found some pics of this set-up here.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 09:12 PM

Grohmann knives are well made but the steel they use is pretty outdated, it's 1.4116 best I can tell, the same thing you find in $15 Cold steel cheapies. The handle is also quite small, I had a #1 but was basically pinching it with three fingers, and my hands get tired very fast using it.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 09:44 PM

Like! A LOT!

No wonder my family ignored my request for a new fixed blade for Christmas and then my birthday and then Valentine's day. (A girl's got to try.) SO many nice choices. I see how how easy it is to get addicted to blade collecting.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 09:52 PM

jzmtl... mine gets pretty light duty use...mostly cooking chores, filleting fish and food prep... I didn't see any mention of the steel used on the spec sheet when I ordered it either... it is easier to sharpen than the Randall...

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 10:16 PM

Just keep hinting Jac. That's how I got my Cold Steel Taipan. Lol. Only took A bit over two years.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 10:23 PM

One of these days.... if i can 2ver make up my mind, that is.
Posted by: LED

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 10:26 PM

What I use around camp the most is the Mora HighQ Allround (slightly smaller than the Clipper). Just about perfect for every task, and only $10! Can't beat that.

I love my Falkniven F1, but hardly ever use it anymore. The Mora is just so light and handy.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 10:49 PM

Right now, my favorite fixed blade is the one I have. :-) It's a Buck Siver Creek Bait Knife:

Buck Silver Creek Bait Knife Review

I like this one. It's no monster but I like that. It's been very dependable on camping, fishing and canoe trips. I haven't tried any serious wood processing with it yet though. Not sure if it'll hold up to batonning but the serrated edge does a great job on branches. It is one solid piece of metal end to end so should do ok with tougher work. Nice edges, no rust, good grip and I'm finally used to the sheath. I got it on sale for $18 to boot!

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
One of these days.... if i can 2ver make up my mind, that is.

Check out the Bushcraft Force ($30). It's slightly wider than the Bushcraft Survival that I bought and otherwise looks to be the identical blade and handle (different color).

http://ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

I have so many firesteels, I'm thinking of how best to attach one to a Mora sheath and wrap a good bit of black 100mph tape and paracord around it all.

Any of those in the Bushcraft series look good to me. In a serious wilderness hike I can see my Gransfors Bruks mini-belt or wildlife axe and the Mora as a good combo.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 10:56 PM

Thanks Dagny! The hunt is on!
Posted by: KenK

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/23/12 11:48 PM

I don't really think of a knife as a "survival knife". Its more like "the knife I will most likely have with me if I find myself in a survival situation".

The original post specifically referred to "wilderness".

Hmmm, well, the only time I'm near wilderness is when I'm camping or hiking, and though I really like fixed blade knives when I'm camping (I bring my Ritter Mk3), it tends to ride in my backpack or day pack. I simply don't like having it hanging from my belt (or elsewhere).

So, the knife that is by far most likely to be with me is the Ritter Mk1. I have EDCed the mini Mk1 for what seems forever. When out camping/hiking/whatever I swap out the mini for the fullsize Mk1. I recently started carrying the orange-handled version received as a gift from my wife after I thought I'd lost my original black-handled Mk1. (the new orange-handled mini Mk1 is really tempting!!)

Will it chop firewood? No, probably not, but I trust it to do what I need ... if needed, when needed. I have no doubt.
Posted by: julie

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 01:10 PM

I don't have a dream survival knife, because I think the ones I already have (although inexpensive) will do everything I could ever need.
Posted by: anpf

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 01:44 PM

Leatherman C33Tx in my pocket, Muela Tornado in my PSK.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 06:28 PM

>what would your dream Survival knife be? <

Something I should have asked long ago: what is meant by a 'survival knife'?
It's been mentioned that a $9 Mora is often issued on survival courses and does everything one is shown. So why do people recommend a $300 knife?
I've always assumed it's because it is a 'survival' knife. You might have to cut your way out of a plane or try and pry a rock off your leg with it; so quality can't be too good.

Is this an accurate guess?

qjs
Posted by: LED

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 06:44 PM

I suppose its the durablity issue as a hefty knife can take a more abuse. Although in practice, I haven't found many tasks my $10 Mora can't do.

FWIW, I also use a small camp machete for the big stuff. Its much quicker and easier to sharpen than a knife.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 06:50 PM

Thanks LED.
So do normal survival skills which I'm assuming to be: cutting wood to make a shelter, stretcher, fire etc require a more durable knife than a Mora? Can one baton with a Mora?
qjs

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 07:02 PM

I own a single Mora, and it's a very impressive knife. I would not hesitate to baton with it, although I'd recommend doing so carefully due to the blade thickness.

My more expensive fixed-blade knives are longer, thicker, and can take more abuse. While I abhor abusing a good tool, in a survival situation you may not have a choice but to use your knife in ways it wasn't meant to be used.

More expensive knives tend to hold an edge longer, too.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 07:18 PM

Thanks for clearing that up LED and chaosmagnet.
In the UK 'hiking' and 'hillwalking' are virtually interchangeable words, as there is nowhere but the hills that aren't heavily populated and there is nothing there but grass, rock and heather. It's only in the last few decades outdoor stores even started selling any knives, as they are virtually useless items in reality. I was at a mountaineering clubs party in the 70s on bottle opening duties; using heel of palm strikes on the edge of a table, as there wasn't a bottle opener between the 30 of us :-).
qjs
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 07:31 PM

Many people think of what I call a military field knife when they discuss a survival knife. Like most things military it needs to be extra rugged. Mad Dog Knives owner suggests a Cold Steel SRK for a field knife until someone learns what they want as an individual. My picture of a survival knife (now that combat is in the LONG past) is what is now described as a Bushcraft knife. The Mora is an excellent example. Blade from 3 to 5 inches, strong but not a prybar, reasonably easy to keep sharp, etc. My current carry blade in the field is a Buddy Small Game 3.5" custom damascus blade. Could I baton with it? I suppose so to a limited degree, but I would be very reluctant to baton with any knife if it was my only one. It will certainly do all the other things noted by Quick_joey_small and all the everyday things you would need to do with a knife in a survival situation. I would much rather have a machete (in appropriate terrain)or small axe (at very little additional weight) for cutting and splitting larger material if that was necessary.

Respectfully,

Jerry

p.s. The old woodsman's addage that the one tool you need to survive is an AXE still holds true if survival is more than waiting for rescue in a day or two.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 07:46 PM

> It will certainly do all the other things noted by Quick_joey_small >

Pay no attention to me, I'm just guessing at what a survival knife is for. The point of the question is I don't have a clue what you are all talking about.
In the UK I'm known for my awesome knife collection: one swiss army champ.
Awesome; because here it's usually one more than everyone else .
You are the second person to half suggest a machete in response to my question.
So is the answer to 'what is the best survival knife?'
a machete?
qjs

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
So is the answer to 'what is the best survival knife?' a machete?

In the jungle? Quite possibly. In the desert? Probably not. A survival knife has to be appropriate to the user's hands and skill as well as to the environment and likely uses.

Often, the knife you have with you is the best survival knife.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 09:03 PM

Generally, "survival knife" or "wilderness knife" conjures up a fairly long Ramboesque short sword, typically used for combat - the sort of sturdy, tough knife issued to troops in the field. For civilian purposes, such a knife is just unnecessary weight. Today, nearly everyone venturing into wilderness does so on purpose, perhaps with the exception of plane crash survivors (I believe we had a hearty discussion about whether such was even possible). People going into the woods don't do empty handed these days.

Certainly when I have been in wilderness, either the formally designated areas or the de facto kind, I have equipped myself with selected items that take care of basic needs for the duration. Those items have always included a knife-like object that most of the time has been a SAK, but which is now a Leatherman, usually. Occasionally I have supplemented such with a 4" fixed blade like the CRKT Stiff Kiss (minimum weight).

Looking back on numerous trips, have I ever said - "Oh, my! I wish I had a bigger, badder knife!" Well, no. The SAK has done just fine. Remember Aron Ralston? He self amputated his arm with a cheap-o multitool which would meet with utter disdain by nearly all of us here on ETS (me included). A sharp blade is handy and useful. but if worse comes to worse, a substitute can often be improvised, like everything else in a grim survival situation.

Knives are fun and makers today, both factory and custom, turn out some really fine pieces, and folks are willing to buy them, which is fine. But you can get by very well with something far less expensive and spectacular. Most "survival" knives are overblown, overpriced, and overhyped. Moras would appear to be the exception.

And there is too great a chance the survival knife will be sitting in the drawer when you need it and you will be fending off doom with your sturdy SAK. So, CM, your are right - the knife you have with you is the best survival knife.

End of rant......

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 09:05 PM

Pay no attention to me, I'm just guessing at what a survival knife is for. The point of the question is I don't have a clue what you are all talking about.

Personally, I don't tend to think of "survival knife" as a category as much as I try to determine if a given knife is well suited for wilderness survival use. Sort of how I don't think of a firesteel as a survival fire-starter but as a fire making tool that would be useful in a wilderness survival situation (for example).

So, in a wilderness survival situation, I'd hope my knife could handle batoning and other, more heavy duty, wood processing tasks easily. This would allow for both cutting branches & larger pieces of wood for shelter building and fire making. Basically, it should be able to handle all my normal camping tasks, but be strong enough that I could do some of those heavier tasks with it if I didn't have the hatchet or saw I might normally have with me during a planned multi-day trip.

Really, a lot of my criteria in selecting a knife that can serve this role have been shaped by Doug Ritter's articles on this topic. So my criteria would include:
  • Fixed blade
  • Single, plain edge & without a saw-back
  • Full tang
  • Moderately sized (around 4 or 5 inches)
  • Drop point / spear point blade
  • 1/8" - 1/4" thick
  • Half guard

Also, like chaosmagnet mentioned, while this makes a lot of sense for the wilderness I'd find myself in out here in Western Canada, other environments might have other considerations that may add or remove criteria from that list.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/24/12 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Denis
makes a lot of sense for the wilderness I'd find myself in out here in Western Canada, other environments might have other considerations that may add or remove criteria from that list.

That's the crux of it: needs may vary depending on where we'll be using a knife and how we personally anticipate possibly needing to use it.

I wonder how many of us on ETS actually spend much time in wilderness. Where I do most of my camping and hiking these days is not "wilderness" (Virginia's Shenandoah National Park) compared to what I was accustomed to growing up in Oregon's Cascade mountains. If you are able to walk in Shenandoah NP, you have only to pick a direction east or west and stick with it and you're not going to be more than 10 miles from a paved road. Of course, if you've badly sprained ligaments or a leg fracture then that 10 miles may as well be 1000.

Some people will have greater strength and willingness to carry heavier gear, including heavier tools such as knives, axe, etc., than others who place a premium on lightweight items.

My longest day hikes are typically 7-9 miles, entail 2000-2400 elevation gain and require 4-5 hours to complete. We make a point of being on the trail at sunrise in the summer months to be off it before afternoon thunderstorms. We always see other people on the trail, maybe just a few but always some others. SAR - a lot of resources - is not far away.

For our typical hikes, the priority packing list puts a knife quite a ways down - underneath cell phone, compass, Bic lighter/matches/firesteel, First Aid, Micropur tabs, bug repellant, hiking pole, etc.

But a knife is still wise for me to have so I seek the happy medium on the continuums of capability, weight and price. Moras are so fondly regarded by so many because not only are they capable and lightweight but they are very inexpensive so scuffing or losing them is not disturbing.

I have a couple beefier knives (Becker BK7 and 9) in the SUV, where weight is not an issue.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 12:19 PM

...It's only in the last few decades outdoor stores even started selling any knives, as they are virtually useless items in reality.....

Are you saying that knives are "virtually useless" or that outdoor stores that don't sell knives are virtually useless? I would agree with you most heartily if you meant the latter.

Here, from an article I got from IzzyJG99's (very interesting) website is a use for a knife...

Leander Boy Attacked By Mountain Lion
Updated: Wednesday, 08 Feb 2012, 10:03 AM CST
Published : Tuesday, 07 Feb 2012, 7:49 PM CST

A family vacation to west Texas included a frightening encounter with a mountain lion for a Leander couple and their 6-year-old son.

The 17 stitches on the right side of Rivers Hobbs' face may be out by next week, but the memory of what caused the injury will not soon fade away.

“It sneaked up on me,” said Hobbs.

The 6-year-old was attacked Sunday, by a mountain lion, at Big Bend National Park. He and his parents were on a walkway near the main lodge heading to their room when the mountain lion attacked.

“No, not that bad,” said Hobbs, when asked if the attack hurt.

The family is expected to return to their Leander home Wednesday evening. Once back home, Hobbs will have to go though a series of rabies shots.

Next door neighbor, Jessie Brannon, knew the family was on a trip, but didn't know about the attack.

“Just at the wrong time when he's starting school and everything, I'm really sorry about that, people should be very careful in those parks," said Brannon.

Earlier in the day, the mountain lion attacked another family, who say Hobbs’ parents and warned them of the danger.

FOX 7 spoke to Kristi Harris, the mother of the 6-year-old, by phone. Harris said they decided against camping out because of what the other family told them. After eating at the main lodge they walked to their room, when the cat literally pulled her son from her hands.

"This cat ran in front of me, had to cross in front of me and grab my son and dragged me and my son away from where we were walking. I still had him by the hand for a good while and then the animal gave a huge jerk and pulled him to the ground and took him by the face,” said Harris.

Hobbs was saved by his dad.

"The cat was clamped onto his face, I reached down and got my pocket knife out and stabbed the cat in the chest and it let go at that point,” said Jason Hobbs.

The experience will not keep the family from venturing out doors again, but Hobbs’ parents say their walks, in the future, will be much more guarded.

Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/video/Lea...-#ixzz1nOUX2XDE

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 12:33 PM

Note that it was a "pocket knife" that fended off the attack and that it was adequate to the task. A good example of the "knife you have" principle.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Note that it was a "pocket knife" that fended off the attack and that it was adequate to the task. A good example of the "knife you have" principle.

True, but my normal EDC 'pocket knife' is a tiny Victorinox Shamrock Classic (pictured here at 75% of actual-size). The shamrock might bring me a little luck, but not that much.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 01:20 PM

>Are you saying that knives are "virtually useless"

Yes that's what I'm saying. But only for UK camping and walking. We have no dangerous animals and nowhere to make fires or shelters. I've almost never used my SAK outdoors. It's more an office tool.

qjs

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 02:09 PM

Yes that's what I'm saying. But only for UK camping and walking. We have no dangerous animals and nowhere to make fires or shelters. I've almost never used my SAK outdoors. It's more an office tool.

qjs

I have carried a small knife since I was in gradeschool. I use it every day, and I can't imagine being without one. Where I live, I would have to drive for many hours to get to a place where I couldn't see a river, a lake, or a tree. Even in those places there are cougars, rattlesnakes, and coyotes, but no heather.

My ancestors left Ireland in the late 1800's, and it's on my bucket list to go back there someday to see what it's like. Maybe an item for your bucket list could be to come here to the great boreal forests and experience the wilderness.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 02:11 PM

qjs

I respectfully disagree. A knife is one of humanity's oldest tools. While it may be uncommon or rare to need one while camping or walking in the UK, it's still very hard to improvise if you do end up needing to cut something, even if that's just a hopelessly knotted shoelace.

If you're not planning to practice bushcraft and there's no bush for you to craft on, sure, it doesn't make sense to bring a large knife that just adds weight and bulk. Perhaps a small folder or even the blade on a multitool is right for that sort of activity.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 03:01 PM

I think we all agree that the environment and the surroundings determine the need for, and the type of cutting instrument that is optimum. I am kind of dismissive of the crying need for a Rambo knife on land, but let's change the setting.

If you are out on the water, either real water like the Santa Barbara Channel or those glorified teacups they call lakes in Minnesota,:) you definitely need a knife, probably a fixed blade. Although it doesn't need to be long, it does need to be sharp. On a vessel there are too many lines, and too many chances for critical entanglement (in propellers and things like that). If you are going underwater, a knife that is in easy reach is essential and absolutely necessary. This is one environment where a Rambo style shines (unless you let it get rusty, but that would never happen, would it?).
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 04:08 PM

The best knife, in my opinion, is the one that you have with you when it's needed AND the knife that you are comfortable with using for the task at hand.

I myself, for backpacking and camping trips, I carry a SAK, a KaBar (7" blade) and a short machete. That handles whatever I come up against down here in Lousy-anna. I may leave the machete behind but I will never leave the SAK or the KaBar behind.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 05:03 PM

>>My ancestors left Ireland in the late 1800's, and it's on my >bucket list to go back there someday to see what it's like. Maybe an item for your bucket list could be to come here to the great boreal forests and experience the wilderness.

Well Hello Paddy! With you on the visiting wilderness; why do you think I'm on this site? If I planned on only walking here I'd be on a UK walking camping site.
My parents left Ireland in the 1940s; you really should get there. What makes it is the Irish are so friendly and funny. Country is even tamer than here. Not a hill you can't see the roads and houses from.

> While it may be uncommon or rare to need one while camping or walking in the UK, it's still very hard to improvise if you do end up needing to cut something, even if that's just a hopelessly knotted shoelace.

Absolutely!
As I said; I do carry a SAK. This is regarded as almost an amusing eccentricity here.
But have to admit I can't think of a time I couldn't have improvised something else walking/camping. Guy lines can be burnt, thread simply pulled apart. Lock knives are illegal here; so I can't use the SAK for anything too rugged. If it was legal I'd carry a fixed blade. This is a survival site; I'm with you all on preparing for the worst.

qjs
Posted by: KenK

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 05:19 PM

qjs

Huh, I just used my mini-Mk1 to open a package, then I sat down to eat a banana and used the Mk1 to slit the top to make it easier to peel. ... and that was just in the last few minutes.

When camping the knives get used for cutting cord (I some disposable binder twine in addition to the better paracord and other cordage), whittling, making small kindling, opening food packages, cutting veggies and meat, and more. It seems I'm always pulling it out.

I have NEVER EVER carried a knife as a weapon. Its a tool ... like pliers or a wrench or an axe. That's not to say that if someone - or something - attacked me, I would be using whatever I had on hand as a weapon ... and honestly, I think pending a gun, I'd rather have a large striking device (thinking club-like) than a knife.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 08:38 PM

If you are out on the water, either real water like the Santa Barbara Channel or those glorified teacups they call lakes in Minnesota

Here's a map of a small section of the state and a picture of one lake.....only 14,999 lakes to go!

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 08:44 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot the 'big one'!

Be sure to click the sunset link for a big pic

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 09:20 PM

This is true. Also note that a fixed blade probably would have done the cat in, maybe not immediately, but they would have had a blood trail to follow. And if found they could eliminate the possibility of rabies and a series of painful injections for the boy.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
This is true. Also note that a fixed blade probably would have done the cat in, maybe not immediately, but they would have had a blood trail to follow. And if found they could eliminate the possibility of rabies and a series of painful injections for the boy.

Are you saying a fixed blade that was larger than the 3.5" folder that was used?

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 10:08 PM

If there was mention of 3.5 inch blade then I must have misses it. Yes, I am saying that. A fixed blade tends to have better handle design and a hilt. Also at 3.5 you are getting into belt carry range. Rarely have I made a blade that small, hideouts and sleeve blades being the rare exception. A five inch blade would have gone deeper and would have made a larger wound channel. This is of course merely my humble opinion. Thenks for responding.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/25/12 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
The best knife, in my opinion, is the one that you have with you when it's needed.............

This seems to be a widely held opinion, and one I agree with.

I rotate several knives to compliment my Wave which is my EDC everywhere I can carry a larger 'knife'. In the rotation is usually one of the following:

1. Buck 119 Special - belt
2. Western W 36 - belt
3. Ka-Bar Becker BK-7 - on pack
4. Ontario CT-1 - on pack
5. Mora 840 MG Clipper - belt

It's kind of like Survival Musical Chairs....which one will I have when the music stops?

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/26/12 12:11 AM

Glad you responded to my little wise a$$ comment. Actually, Lake Superior is considerably more hazardous to shipping than the West Coast. Some years ago I spent a memorable three weeks investigating various shipwrecks around Isle Royale - a pretty deadly place.

We now return you to the thread....

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/26/12 01:18 PM

Glad you responded to my little wise a$$ comment......

Yes, and sorry I used the term "the Big One" when addressing an esteemed member from the West Coast. whistle

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/26/12 05:16 PM

I don't think a day goes by that I don't use my knife. Things must be totally different where you live. A good knife is one of the most useful things anyone could own.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/27/12 04:15 PM

qjs

If there are no places to make a fire or shelter in Uk green spaces, just where are all those UK guys on Youtube that are doing so making fire and shelter?

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/27/12 04:50 PM

I think quick joey small has a point about the UK , but my 2cents worth -

I carry a penknife (SAK, UKPK or something similar) daily, and frequently use it - but usually for opening parcels and pulling staples and the like.

The 'wilderness' in the UK is on a differnt scale to the US - you can die of hypothermia on a hillside easily enough, but you are rarely many miles from civilisation of some kind. Lots of Bushcraft enthusiasts, who get landowner permission to chop trees and build shelters and the like.

But in the UK a survival bag and a whistle are the primary survival tools (this may be equally true in a lot of places if we are honest)

In the UK - A knife for camping? Absolutely, but it will mostly be for food prep and little tasks. A knife for edc? Absolutely, but it had better fit in a small pocket and not lock. A knife for self-defence? Absolutley not. A knife for the zombie apocalypse? Absolutely,but let's remember we're just having fun with it ;-)
Posted by: Meadowlark

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/27/12 06:02 PM

Finally got some time to look over this thread.

I've been looking for a good fixed blade, so thanks for all the ideas.

Here in Colorado critter attacks in the wilderness are rare, but we do have a fair amount of mountain lions, bears, moose, elk, coyotes and ill-intentioned humans. Thankfully my main use of knives on the trail hasn't involved defense but more mundane tasks, such as:

--whittling tinder sticks, marshmallow sticks, extra tent pegs
--prepping camp food
--cutting string or rope
--carving hiking sticks

That said, it'd be nice to have a fixed blade, as it'd be easier to clean/maintain, as well as quicker access in the event of an emergency. (Try opening a basic SAK with numb, icy fingers. Ugh.)

A sawing capability would be nice, as well.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/27/12 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
A sawing capability would be nice, as well.

I'd suggest that you carry a multitool as your backup blade and primary saw, or if you need more than that a separate saw, like one of the folding Gerbers.
Posted by: DavidEnoch

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/27/12 10:17 PM

My favorite Survival knife is a Charlie Ridge (Mark Wohlwend)Survival Knife made from 5160 steel. It's a large knife with a 6" blade but handles well. I have a pouch on the sheath for a Multi-Tool and usually carry a Swiss Tool in the pouch and also a fire steel.

For daily carry I wear a Becker Necker neck knife and carry a Leatherman Wave.

David Enoch

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/27/12 11:39 PM

This thread prompted me to order the Mora Bushcraft Triflex (green handle). $26 from Amazon (I have free shipping with Amazon Prime). It looks at first nearly identical to the Bushcraft Survival but the steel is different, the blade is ever so slightly smaller and the top of the blade is not as sharply squared off to facilitate striking a firesteel. Definitely a better value at $26 (versus $61 or $70 for the other).

http://www.amazon.com/Mora-Bushcraft-Tri...4914&sr=8-1

Posted by: Meadowlark

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/28/12 12:08 AM

Dagny -- Sounds like you got a good deal.

Chaosmagnet -- I meant sawing as in serration, for getting through tough material, like rope. But it seems a lot of "combo" blades have the serrated part near the handle, where I would want the regular blade to be for control.

Like this:

So yeah, probably should stick with the right tool for the right job.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/28/12 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
Chaosmagnet -- I meant sawing as in serration, for getting through tough material, like rope. But it seems a lot of "combo" blades have the serrated part near the handle, where I would want the regular blade to be for control.

Gotcha.

I've changed my tune over the years regarding serrated blades. I'm not convinced that they offer a big enough advantage for cutting things like rope and webbing to offset how hard they are to keep sharp, particularly in the field.

Since switching away from serrated blades I haven't seen a significant reduction in cutting ability as a consequence.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/28/12 05:56 PM

This thread is still alive? I agree. I don't like serrations on any knife. Sawbacks I flucuate on. I like the neat grooves they make for traps, etc.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/28/12 09:53 PM

If there was mention of 3.5 inch blade then I must have misses it. Yes, I am saying that. A fixed blade tends to have better handle design and a hilt. Also at 3.5 you are getting into belt carry range. Rarely have I made a blade that small, hideouts and sleeve blades being the rare exception. A five inch blade would have gone deeper and would have made a larger wound channel. This is of course merely my humble opinion. Thenks for responding.

No problem. I assumed that was what you meant. smile

I hated to ask because I didn't want to sound patronizing. Sorry if it did. eek

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 02/28/12 11:03 PM

I am often patronizing myself. Lol. NP. I have tough skin.
Posted by: m9key

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/01/12 07:16 PM

spyderco h1
Posted by: Finn

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/02/12 08:13 PM

EDC: Ozark Trail $1 folder, Wenger SAK , & OLD Leatherman (original model?)

Morning fishing trips: Mora #2

Dream & SHTF: black classic Kabar from Phaedrus.

I also pack as back-ups a TL-29 and an old Victorinox SAK and I treasure an Imperial Kamp King (thanks again, Phaedrus!). Have a Kabar combat knife and a Cold Steel Kukri machete packed in the evac ruck (SHTF).

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/02/12 10:37 PM

I carried an early Leatherman Tool,purchased in 1985, for several years. I had to leave it at the Oaxaca Airport in 1990; someone down there is very happy.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/03/12 12:35 AM

Still, it has nearly doubled! Not quite "Antiques Roadshow" material, but they have done better than most of my investments lately.....

AR -"The market in these early Leatherman tools has been quite strong lately. I would place an insurance value of $50,000 on a specimen in this condition.

My descendant - "Oh, and to think I played with this as a child. Thank you so much! (sobbing with joy)"

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/03/12 12:50 AM

Lol Hiker. Don't forget the story they have to tell before they're told what it's worth.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/03/12 01:02 AM

What is your primary wilderness survival knife? what would your dream Survival knife be? My primary is a Bowie i made, with a commercial surval knife as back up in case of loss or breakage. What sheathware do you use or prefer? Thanks for your responses and thoughts.

Primary - Fallkniven WM1 (yes, I know it was designed for women) with a Leatherman surge as secondary. I sometimes take the Fallkniven F1 if I anticipate needing something slightly larger and the H1 is normally my hunting companion due to its blade profile. The one I always have on hand is the WM1 though.

Dream survival knife - Not really sure, so many beautiful knives to choose from but lately I really fell in love with Fallkniven. I may add a northern lights series (NL5cx)to the wish list soon, but at $1400.00 CAD it may take some convincing that I need to spend that on any knife. I have always wanted something in damascus steel however.

Sheath - Leather has the beautiful classic look and is fun to work with. Problem is, once it gets wet it stays wet. Any knife prone to rust does not like a sheath that takes days to dry out. I have become very fond of kydex for those reasons. A good kydex sheath will last the life of the knife and is maintenance free.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/03/12 02:10 AM

Yeah, the show is a hoot. I particularly appreciated the dude who brought in his Walker Colt, for which he had paid a cool $7000. The outcome was that it was a clever forgery, worth about $300.

OOps, I apologize for horrendous thread drift...

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/03/12 02:29 AM

It's cool Hiker. Did you see the kid who brought in a rifle and a ton of civil war stuff in a little red wagon? I believe total value was worth in excess of half a million. "and we'll have one of the security men escort you to your car." I also loved the rare sword cane.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/03/12 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Finn
EDC: Ozark Trail $1 folder, Wenger SAK , & OLD Leatherman (original model?)

Morning fishing trips: Mora #2

Dream & SHTF: black classic Kabar from Phaedrus.

I also pack as back-ups a TL-29 and an old Victorinox SAK and I treasure an Imperial Kamp King (thanks again, Phaedrus!). Have a Kabar combat knife and a Cold Steel Kukri machete packed in the evac ruck (SHTF).

Hahaha! You still carry that $1 Ozark?! wink Oh well, at least if you lose it you aren't out much. I'm glad to see you're getting some use out of the other ones, too.
Posted by: GradyT34

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/06/12 03:10 AM

Fallkniven F1-G3 4" blade - 8 & 1/2" overall, light (about 6 oz.) Survival knife, but I carry it for field work. Use a factory Zytel sheath. Certainly the best laminate powder steel blade out there (62 HRC)- and IMHO, the most advanced knife steel. I say that because it holds a scary sharp edge longer than any other SS knife I've ever used.
Posted by: Finn

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/08/12 09:37 PM

Hi!

Ok, its in a black leather sheath with gold print. On the handle of the tool: "LEATHERMAN @ SUPER TOOL @
PAT PEND PORTLAND OR"

The bugger is heavy & stiff, though loosening with use. Ten fold-out blade/tools plus the pliers. A buddy got it from a USAF vet's storage unit, ca. early '90s. I traded an Italian Navy knife from CTD for it- $10. I feel VERY lucky & fortunate.

Phaedrus- Yeah, I still beat the heck out of the OT $1 folder. Cutting tape & cardboard at work. Don't like gumming up better knives with tape adhesive. No heartbreak when something breaks.
Posted by: naguethey

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/09/12 10:28 PM

Ontario knives sp53 large bowie for cutting firewood, shelter building, drawknife. Anything a large tool is needed for..

Gerber profile = cheap sharp reliability. It hold a good edge. Good geometry for a cutting plane or edge. And the handle is comforable and has a good grip even when wet..

Everyday carry is a medium size buck folder smooth edge similar to a spiderco style.. or a swiss army knife..

Lastly I usually carry a small tomahawk on my ruck. Can be used for firewood, shelter, general building tool.. Can be taken off the handle and relashed in a different fashion to make an adz. For tillering projects..

Posted by: Pete

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/10/12 10:00 PM

the tomahawk is an excellent all-purpose survival tool.
they can be a bit heavy - but looks like you got a good size.
that Gerber is a nice little knife too.

Pete2
Posted by: naguethey

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/11/12 01:58 AM

This is a medium hawk smaller than normal size and I cut the handle down to about 15" so it's pretty light. Almost too light for cutting a large amount of firewood. But it has so many other uses that I find it well worth carrying on weekend or extended stays in the woods.

I've been really impressed with ther gerber profile. It's 23 dollar knife. So easily replaceable if lost or broken. This is actually a brand new one I just bought. For the simple fact that I'm designing a sheath to put in production for people. Since the factory sheath is garbage and quite useless..

But I've carried the gerber for about 12 years now that is identical. (bought the new one to make sure the design hasn't changed when I put the sheath on the market.

I'm really digging the new ontario large bowie. It's a full 1/4" thick which makes it a bit heavy. But with that weight it cuts deep on a single blow when chopping. And with being so thick. Makes for splitting or batoning wood quick simple work.

I carried a black jack bowie of the same size for years. And it has finally seen enough use. So I bought this one this year to replace it. As blackjack has gone out of business. And I couldn't find the same bowie again.
Posted by: Macgyver

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/23/12 02:56 PM

Being a knifemaker I usually have a few knives handy, for my PSK I have a Ken Onion leek. Never been used, but will be sharp when I need it....

There are several knives that I use regularly, the main one being my bushman's mate. I have one that I have used for years and it has never failed me.

That being said there is only one knife that I keep in my BOB and that is the first knife I ever made, it is a drop point hunter with a 3/16" thick 1095 damascus blade (4" blade) and a solid tang. It is one knife that takes a licking and will still shave. I can rely on it to not chip, not break a tip when being abused, and it can be used to split firewood when needed.

I have had a gerber survival knife and other bigger knives, but I have found that they just don't work for general use and are too big to be safe in some situations. I would never have a knife blade longer than 6" for general use around camp, if I had the choice, and 4" works fine for all I need. In a jungle take a machete too!

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/23/12 04:03 PM

Hey Mac. I too am a bladesmith. I specialize in Bowies, fighters, combat knives and daggers. With only two exceptions every blade I've made in the past seven years has gone to American troops serving our country. There is no cost to them for this. I am currently making a hunting knife for a former client who is retiring soon and plans on hunting in Alaska and Africa. Thanks for responding to my old threads.
Posted by: Macgyver

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/23/12 10:05 PM

Good on you Snake Doctor, keep up the good work. Our troops need all the support that they can get.

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/23/12 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Macgyver
Good on you Snake Doctor, keep up the good work. Our troops need all the support that they can get.

I second that!!
Posted by: GradyT34

Re: Primary Survival Knives - 03/26/12 02:37 AM

Fallkniven F1/G3 - Here's a link to a review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-CLp0ZPsOs

A1 vs. F1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sD0T789N-k&feature=related