How to Survive a Plane Crash

Posted by: AKSAR

How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/14/12 09:26 PM

In order to not highjack another current thread on aviation survival kits, I've opted to start a new thread on surviving the initial crash. If you don't survive the initial crash, what kit you carry is a moot point.

A very interesting link to start from is "How to Survive a Plane Crash". This link is aimed primarily at airline passengers. Some years back I attended a training on escaping from a helicopter or light plane, including dunker training. It is interesting that in general the linked article covers the same principles.

In general:

1. Even before take off. think about and plan your exit (Including alterates). Assume you will need to exit with little or no visibility.
2. Always try to maintain situational awareness.
3. Keep your seatbelt or harness fastened, snugly.
4. Assume a crash position.
5. When the aircraft stops moving, follow your plan and GET OUT FAST!

Alaska has a very high incidence of light plane crashes. While many people die, a lot of people do survive. If I get time, I may post some links to examples later.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/14/12 10:01 PM

Ahhh....dunker training! I had a session of that too. My employer was frequently flying us about in both charter aircraft and helicopters so we were required to take crash survival training about every four years of so. It was quite worthwhile, although fortunately neither I nor any of my colleagues had to put it to the test.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/14/12 10:15 PM

During an ROTC field trip I had the dunker ride like you saw in the movie "Officer and A Gentleman."

Was fun with the lights on and warm pool water. Would have liked to have done it again.

The rollover helo trainer would be a lot more of a challenge. (We didn't do that one)
Posted by: Russ

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/14/12 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Ahhh....dunker training! I had a session of that too. ...
Over the years I've had a few sessions of that along with real helo hoists at Pensacola, NAS Jacksonville and NAS North Island, Miramar -- lotsa fun smile Why do I always do this training in January?

Edited to remove references which date me wink lol

unimogbert -- we got to do the "rollover helo trainer " 4 times, twice wearing opaque goggles.

NightHiker -- most everything is easier when you stay calm.

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/14/12 10:41 PM

Quote:
unimogbert -- we got to do the "rollover helo trainer " 4 times, twice wearing opaque goggles.

Yeah that's more realistic. Did they cool off the pool water to 40F too?
Of course you know they don't want to scare the middies TOO much or they'll choose Submarines or something equally unthinkable......
Posted by: ILBob

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/14/12 11:10 PM

step 1: do not get on airplane.
Posted by: Russ

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/14/12 11:11 PM

wink submarines? Have you ever seen the tower they use for Submarine Escape Training? The one where you enter the pool 10 stories deep and basically surface on the air in your lungs? It trains you you to keep exhaling so your lungs don't expand as you surface. I never did that and I don't miss not having done it.

BTW, the last time I did the pool training it was salt water at 84°F -- really nice smile One hour, non-stop with a bunch of people watching people watching me -- great work-out.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/14/12 11:46 PM

Working for a previous employer, I was doing a good deal of helicopter supported field work in the Brooks Range foothills. We did some of our safety training through an Anchorage outfit called Learn to Return. LTR does a lot of training for oil and mining companies, and various state and federal agencies. They have also done some contract training for the military. Generally a well regarded outfit.

We did their 16 hour Aviation Land and Water Survival training. We also did their bear safety class (including shotgun training). Both were excellent.

(All the usual disclaimers....I own no stock in LTR nor do I have any financial interest....yada...yada...yada.)

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/15/12 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
wink submarines? Have you ever seen the tower they use for Submarine Escape Training? The one where you enter the pool 10 stories deep and basically surface on the air in your lungs? It trains you you to keep exhaling so your lungs don't expand as you surface. I never did that and I don't miss not having done it.

Done it. It wasn't so bad.

Those helicopter rollovers scared me too much :-)
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/15/12 04:42 AM

Thanx AKSAR, that's an interesting and informative article. I note it's undated, but it was no later than 2008, based upon the internal references. The advice concerning modifying the brace position of your feet and positioning your head against the foward seatback, avoiding the TV screen was new to me, but sounds worthwhile. I also noted that the writer did not suggest a seat top crawl to an exit to avoid a jammed aisle. I for one, always include the crawl in my plans. Finally, I disagree with his smoke hood comment. I keep an Xcaper mask and water tight swim goggles in my carry on . The Xcaper is rated for CO and smoke protection. I also have a good pocket flashliight and a ResQme in my pocket. No objection from TSA so far. Having lived through one assume crash poisitions aborted takeoff, at the fail safe point, in a full A-300, has made me very crash safety aware. That was one scary, surreal experience. But, I can attest that you can do a hockey stop with a loaded jumbo jet!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How to Survive a Plane Crash - 02/15/12 05:01 AM

I agree with do not get on the plane.