Rate my Current PSK!

Posted by: Frisket

Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 09:35 AM

I Felt like lightening it up some so I ditched a bunch of stuff sadly. Having a firesteel and a lighter already i ditched the magnifying lens. The pliers and the compass got ditched as well. While it may not be the beast it was I still think its a hell of a lot better then most sorry excuses I come across on sites like youtube.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 10:10 AM

Very nice! Is that comfortable to carry? It looks like the waist strap is pretty thin.
Posted by: JIM

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 12:40 PM

I think that if you don't find it hard to always carry it on your person it's an excellent psk!
Posted by: Krista

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 12:55 PM

I have a question (or two!). What is that metal rectangular bowl thing used for? Could you eliminate that square tupperware container by just using the metal bowl? If so, you could put all those little odds and end small items into a ziplock bag, which might take up less space? Therefore giving you room for more stuff! LOL.

I know you asked us to rate it, and I hope you don't mind my questions. I still have to put my own psk together, so obviously I have no idea what I'm doing!
I'm learning through everyone else's efforts! smile
Posted by: 6pac

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 01:39 PM

The rectangular metal pan is used for collecting water, boiling water and various other tasks. He uses a Tupperware container to help keep everything in it dry.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 01:52 PM

couple of suggestions..
4x4 non adherent pads
duct tape on card
small super glue
whistle

otc meds..
aspirin/ibuprofen/acetiminophen
Katadyn ClO2 tabs
immodium
benedryl

upgrade the Micra to a Squirt S2, add good tweezers
for urban use, a section of hacksaw blade and split ring might be handy to open a padlock
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 02:23 PM

Hey Frisket,
It looks pretty good. I carry multiple methods for making fire. I'd keep the multi tool. I would be be able to offer more of a critique if you had listed the contents. I agree that any PSK that you will carry is a good PSK.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 03:04 PM

Is there duct tape?

I would keep the multitool for anything other than the very smallest PSK.

Why the Vicks Vaporub?

Two containers of Burts Bees? Why?

Would it make sense to lighten up on cordage?

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Very nice! Is that comfortable to carry? It looks like the waist strap is pretty thin.

When need be to carry it on its own I think carrying it across my chest like a sling pack would be more comfy.

Originally Posted By: Krista
I have a question (or two!). What is that metal rectangular bowl thing used for? Could you eliminate that square tupperware container by just using the metal bowl? If so, you could put all those little odds and end small items into a ziplock bag, which might take up less space? Therefore giving you room for more stuff! LOL.

The Tupperware is for being a modular system. If I needed to go more pocket sized i would take just that. The Metal pot is a loaf pan for cooking/boiling water and already has items inside it taking the entire space withen it.

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
couple of suggestions..
4x4 non adherent pads
duct tape on card
small super glue
whistle

otc meds..
aspirin/ibuprofen/acetiminophen
Katadyn ClO2 tabs
immodium
benedryl

upgrade the Micra to a Squirt S2, add good tweezers
for urban use, a section of hacksaw blade and split ring might be handy to open a padlock

Yeah my medical stuff is kind of lacking I agree.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Is there duct tape?

I would keep the multitool for anything other than the very smallest PSK.

Why the Vicks Vaporub?

Two containers of Burts Bees? Why?

Would it make sense to lighten up on cordage?

Personal Preferences. I have used Burt's Bees for many things other then just lips. Vick's is a Comfort item for winter and such and can also help with more then just your nose. Cordage is important to me and since my capability's to make it in the wild is lacking I loaded up on it.

Kits shouldnt be all the same for everyone they should fit your comfort and skill level all as long as the basics are covered. A Fraction of a ounce isnt gonna bother me but when certain things occur not having that fraction of a ounce will.

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
add good tweezers

Im Positive I Added a good small tweezers to my kit But I cant see it without tearing threw it. Imma have to check to see if they are actually in there.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 03:47 PM

Nice kit update, Frisket!

Four questions: Is the whistle still in there? Snacks? Hot drink? Would the pliars be helpful moving the metal pan in and out of the fire?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Kits shouldnt be all the same for everyone they should fit your comfort and skill level all as long as the basics are covered. A Fraction of a ounce isnt gonna bother me but when certain things occur not having that fraction of a ounce will.

Agreed 100%.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/14/12 05:05 PM

if that's a Micra it has tweezers, but I was never able to really use mine that well...same with those on a Victorinox
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/15/12 12:54 AM

Nice. I have a similar kit, but with two water bottles, one on each side of the pack.

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/15/12 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Nice kit update, Frisket!

Four questions: Is the whistle still in there? Snacks? Hot drink? Would the pliars be helpful moving the metal pan in and out of the fire?

Yes The whistle is still there and no There is no edible items tho I may add some items such as a cliffbar and some multi vitamins.

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/15/12 01:14 AM

In a short term emergency, food may not be an issue. It is a PSK, after all and not a bob or ghb. Hypothermia may be an exception. Risk assesment and all that...

Re: Rate my Current PSK! - 02/15/12 02:56 AM

Excellent point, Izzy. We all need to do our own risk assments for and figure out what we'll need, and what we'll be able to procure, in a worst case scenario. Each situation is going to be different.

Personally, I have different kits for different scenarios. All of them include food except my pocket kit. It's not always crucial but it's winter here now, and even though it's been a mild one, hypothermia is a real threat. Warm, high calorie foods are a big plus for me so it popped out at me as missing from Frisket's kit. My priorities aren't going to be the case for everyone. Heck, they even change on me from season to season!