Takedown Saw for a PSK

Posted by: Burncycle

Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/05/12 07:54 AM

I was taking apart a cheapo multi tool and when I came across the saw I was trying to decide if it was worth keeping or not. It's a pretty aggressive saw and chews through wood pretty well, but without a handle it's too difficult to use. I tried adding a heavy duty split ring to give my fingers something to grab onto, and that worked a little better, but it wasn't great.

Finally I decided I could use the corona knife sharpener I carry in my PSK as a handle. I drilled a hole to match the one on the saw, and originally was going to drill a second hole for another screw/nut to serve as a stop, but I discovered it works well enough when tightened to not need it. It breaks down into two separate (and flat!) pieces to better fit the kit.

The screw sticks out far enough on the right side of the assembly that you can wrap your index finger around it and use it to help grip the saw, it's more comfortable than I expected.

Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/05/12 12:21 PM

I like the idea of a saw, especially a hacksaw for urban use...you can get more purchase on a saw blade section with the split ring if you happen to carry a pocket clip folder as I do...if the lanyard hole is at the same end as the clip, put the split ring thru saw blade and lanyard hole, and rotate the saw blade thru the clip...it will chew up the knife handle if you try this, so you may want to cover the saw blade with tape for practice purposes...if the hole and clip are at opposite ends, you need a much larger section of blade
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/05/12 12:37 PM

Good idea. I will be rooting through my garage junk drawer this weekend as a result of your post. I love to see innovation and creativity. I think those skills will increase in importance as the years progress.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/05/12 01:15 PM

Great idea, Burncycle! I've seen vice grips improvised as handles for saw blades but yours looks much small and more convenient for pocket carry. Nice!
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/05/12 03:41 PM

Can't see the picture but the post reminds me of this :

http://wildskills.blogspot.com/2011/06/lock-ten-survival-experts-in-room.html

Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/05/12 04:00 PM

That's pretty slick, Burncycle.

For a small saw, I put one of these in a kit: http://countycomm.com/seresaw.html . I also really like the wood saw and filesaw on my Leatherman Wave. My biggest kit has a Gerber Sportsman's Saw, but while I'd expect it to cut about as well as what you built, it's much buikier.

I have no affiliation with CountyComm, Leatherman or Gerber other than as a customer.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/05/12 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
That's pretty slick, Burncycle.

For a small saw, I put one of these in a kit: http://countycomm.com/seresaw.html . I also really like the wood saw and filesaw on my Leatherman Wave. My biggest kit has a Gerber Sportsman's Saw, but while I'd expect it to cut about as well as what you built, it's much buikier.

I have no affiliation with CountyComm, Leatherman or Gerber other than as a customer.

You can often find a virtual duplicate of the CC product on ebay for <$3 shipped. It appears to be identical other than some wording.
Posted by: Kuzushi

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/06/12 09:49 PM

Great idea!
I did a similar mod to my Leatherman supertool 200 to add a hacksaw blade. I disassembled the tool and removed the thin washers between each blade. Then i took a cutdown hacksaw blade and ground and filed the tang side to match the profile of the leatherman tools and reassembled it into the handle with the other tools. It locks reasonable well in the open position, though not as securely as the machined tools.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/07/12 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Kuzushi
Great idea!
I did a similar mod to my Leatherman supertool 200 to add a hacksaw blade. I disassembled the tool and removed the thin washers between each blade. Then i took a cutdown hacksaw blade and ground and filed the tang side to match the profile of the leatherman tools and reassembled it into the handle with the other tools. It locks reasonable well in the open position, though not as securely as the machined tools.

Impressive! I'm torn between my appreciation for any good hack, upgrade or DIY improvement of a thing, and my instinctive horror of taking apart an ST200. My appreciation won out, though.

I'd expect a hacksaw blade to be noticeably thinner than the ST200's saw blade. How did you keep it from wobbling?
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/07/12 04:50 AM

Invention is always Good! I made one similar to yours a few yrs ago,I used 3 sawzall blades & a nail plate bent in 1/2 lengthwise,of which houses the blades & makes the handle,about 6" long closed.I love the idea of yours with the corona sharpener,Very multi-purpose Indeed!The corona sharpener also serves to be the Best striker, for ferro rods too!2 thumbs up for you!
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Takedown Saw for a PSK - 01/07/12 06:32 AM

Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah the corona is definitely one of the best ferro rod striker's I've ever seen