Survival Communications

Posted by: Anonymous

Survival Communications - 01/11/03 01:03 AM

I have often wondered about the possibility of using an aircraft frequency handheld in emergencies. If, as Chris said, any frequency can be used in an emergency, then it would seem feasible. Airplanes fly over every place in the country on a regular basis and they all are supposed to monitor the aircraft emergency frequency. Could we contact them, in emergencies only, for help? Opinions?
Terry

Re: Survival Communications - 01/11/03 05:57 AM

You probably know this. The 121.5 MHz PLB is using the aeronautical distress frequency. The 406 MHz PLB is also transmitting on 121.5 as an aircraft homing frequency. So any passing aircraft with more than one radio should pickup your PLB. Not as good as having a conversation, but a very good safety net.
Posted by: aardwolfe

Re: Survival Communications - 01/14/03 01:27 AM

I would. In fact, I have taken an aviation handheld with me when hiking in the mountains. (Today, I would probably leave the aviation HT at home and take my Yaesu FT-817 instead.)

But read the article on this website at http://www.equipped.org/waldock698.htm

The aircraft passenger (a licensed pilot) who survived did so, in part, because he knew the Center frequency for the area he was flying in. It's good if you know the emergency frequency, but it's even better if you know other frequencies that airliners will be monitoring.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Survival Communications - 01/14/03 04:13 AM

Lloyd,

Quote:
So any passing aircraft with more than one radio should pickup your PLB.

That assumes they are guarding 121.5 and I can assure you that very, very few do here in the U.S. mainland. I'd prefer it was otherwise, but them is the facts.

Re: Survival Communications - 01/14/03 09:34 PM

In which case any one on the ground hoping to use a handheld aeronuatical radio will need a lot of relevant knowledge if they are to pick the right frequency to talk to an aircraft. Surely commercial aircraft will be guarding 121.5? The highflighers at 6 miles are the best bet.