Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created.

Posted by: Frisket

Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 06:39 PM

My Favorite Dollar Store Sells These bright Xmas red Circular Metal Enamel Coated Containers with Tupperware Style lids in 3 sizes. 4Inch Bottom With 5inch Lid Top and 2 inch deep, 5inch bottom with 6 inch top and 2.5 inches deep, 6inch bottom 7inch top 2.5 inch deep.

Well The smallest is easily comparable to my current PSK size at 4x5x2 Inch rectangular. With being a Circular container it is a tad bit more bulky and being metal it is a bit heavier.

My Current PSK offers no way to purify water via Boiling or tablets. Switching to the metal container will add a greater capability over adding a length of foil to my current one. Needless To say switching over to metal from plastic adds the benefit of container strength and removes the shatter risk of rigid plastic.

So which do you think I should go with?
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 06:46 PM

Are they cheap? Why not try it for a while? One of the great additict... I mean, joys of PSKs is the endless opportunity to fiddle with them. wink
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Are they cheap? ...

hahaha! at the dollar store i'd sure hope so!

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 06:51 PM

They are in fact one single dollar each for each size. The dollar store is happily a true dollar store <3.

The biggest fear is escalation in size =D. It started with a small tin then it went to "well if I have enough room in a pocket for this Id have enough room for THAT" and Now from the rough size of a altoids tin to a 5x4x2 container is the outcome.

So Im guessing the bigger question is, In a PSK does the Added Bulk and Weight Matter if your added Great Capabilities such as a Metal pot?

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
Are they cheap? ...

While silly sounding There are many "Dollar stores" around me if not all but 1 franchise that are not True dollar stores. Many of them actually sell things for 5+$'s sadly.

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
They are in fact one single dollar each for each size. The dollar store is happily a true dollar store <3.

The biggest fear is escalation in size =D. It started with a small tin then it went to "well if I have enough room in a pocket for this Id have enough room for THAT" and Now from the rough size of a altoids tin to a 5x4x2 container is the outcome.

So Im guessing the bigger question is, In a PSK does the Added Bulk and Weight Matter if your added Great Capabilities such as a Metal pot?

Sounds like a field test is in order. Try it, try different pockets, etc. to see if you can find a configuration you like. Water is REALLY imporant, and in this part of Canada at this time of year, a hot drink is a HUGE moral booster.

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 07:03 PM

Are they cheap? ...

While silly sounding There are many "Dollar stores" around me if not all but 1 franchise that are not True dollar stores. Many of them actually sell things for 5+$'s sadly.

It's the same here. Bumping up the cost of a PSK by a buck is simple enough but when thos additons start costing more, it can add up quickly.

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 07:07 PM

Are they cheap? ...

It's the same here. Bumping up the cost of a PSK by a buck is simple enough but when thos additons start costing more, it can add up quickly.

True enough. Lansinoh Milk Bags for water storage are expensive enough But now Im adding a bunch of Corn Bags happily increasing my water carry by multiple quarts FOR FREE. =D
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 07:25 PM

Do you know if they are food safe once heated?

Pete

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Do you know if they are food safe once heated?

Pete

Nope No idea, But is most things we consider boiling water in for emergency? Most have paints and liners sprayed in them. This seems to be a baked on enamel. Id happily buy another one and chuck it in a fire for a 1$ learning experience.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 08:07 PM

Just thinking that since this is most likely made in China and with all of the issues of items coming from there with lead based paints, heating the item may liberate significant amounts of lead.

Pete

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 08:17 PM

Made in indonesia. I unno...
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 09:58 PM

I really like to have a cup/pot available in my minimal outfit so that I can provide hot liquids and met snow, etc. if necessary. I usually do this with a cup fitted on my canteen - I come from an area where at least one canteen is essential for all but the most trivial excursions, so the cup is a good solution.

Nothing even close to being a decent cup will ever fit neatly into your pocket, even a cargo pocket, if you are going to do appreciable walking.

There are all sort of non metallic folding containers that can hold water but that can't be placed over a stove or flame. Just thinking out loud, has anyone ever tried stone boiling to achieve hot water with a container of this sort?

I think I see a project unfolding....
Posted by: thseng

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 10:15 PM

If I can be allowed one blatant self-serving mercinary post per lifetime:

I happen to sell these aluminum survival kit boxes on amazon which seem very similar in size to the one you're looking at, albeit they do cost more than a dollar.

The label does say "not reccomended to cooking" but they are hard-anodized. I suspect that the disclaimer stems from the fact that they lack a proper handle rather than some food-contact safety issue but you'll have to use your own judgement in an emergency.

Re: Great 1$Store Find, Big Decision Created. - 12/21/11 10:20 PM

Cool! Thanks Tom!