Emergency Communication

Posted by: bacpacjac

Emergency Communication - 11/27/11 08:56 PM

http://wap.news.bigpond.com/articles/Top...NSW_690068.html

I'm embarassed to admit that I've always wondered why the average Jane would need to know those signals for communicating with aircraft that seem to always be included in survival books. This article made the lightbulb turn on.

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/27/11 11:54 PM

I'm thinking so too, Izzy. Flooding isn't much of an issue here, but I think I'm going to do the same thing.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/28/11 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
the international and US standard body language and written language (Stones, Sticks etc, etc) for signaling to aircraft

I don't know this stuff. Can't seem to locate a webpage. A little help, if you would be so kind? Thanks.

DB
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/28/11 04:23 PM

For the record, US civilian pilot training doesn't require pilots know these signals.

Civil Air Patrol might know them. (But I don't know if they do or not)
Posted by: Crowe

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/28/11 05:31 PM

True, but the pilot should have a radio, and should be able to contact someone who knows the signal. The main point is making a signal and getting it noticed, nothing wrong with a giant "HELP" or "SOS" to get attention either, the international signals are simply more compact therefore less time, energy, and resource intensive.

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/28/11 07:06 PM

Thanks! Now I have a question. The first link says K is "indicates direction to proceed." How does one indicate direction with K? The letter has four points. Is it the < on the right side of the letter? In other words, this is how one might use it:

[This is where I want you to go] K

Is this right?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/28/11 07:32 PM

If a pilot can't interpret ground-to-air signals one would hope that he or she would use the radio to contact someone who could.

Remember also that three of anything is a signal of distress. Three fires in a triangle is the classic. If you can make 'em smoky they're probably more visible in daylight, too.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/28/11 07:56 PM

You're right!!!

We have also started taking FRS radios with us when we go hiking/camping. One for each member. The rule is simple, when one or more leaves the camp (gathering firewood, etc) we all turn on our radios.

We used call signs (Wolf, Coyote, & Sandman) since that tripped my 9 year old nephew's "trigger". It also insured that he remembered to turn on his radio when called for.

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/28/11 08:42 PM

Great idea about the call signs, Wildman. My kiddo would love that. We use radios the same way in Scouts too, but the younger kids don't use them - the leaders and older youth do. You just gave me an idea for camp activity this weekend.

Hathi out.

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/28/11 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
If a pilot can't interpret ground-to-air signals one would hope that he or she would use the radio to contact someone who could.

Remember also that three of anything is a signal of distress. Three fires in a triangle is the classic. If you can make 'em smoky they're probably more visible in daylight, too.

Absolutely right on all counts Chaos.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 06:47 AM

The Gerber Bear Grylls survival knife implemented an interesting idea of including these signals on the back of its sheath.

However you do it, it does seem like it would be a good idea to include a small, quick reference of these signals on your person somehow.

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 08:09 AM

I haven't flown in a rescue helicopter before. How big do these signs have to be? I figure man sized?

It looks like I've got a little project of making some laminated cards for my bug in/out kit.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 02:30 PM

The bigger (within reason), the better. A helicopter on an active search mission is a much different deal from a casually overflying aircraft. They will have observers who should be looking for anything unusual or out of the ordinary.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 04:00 PM

Remember also that three of anything is a signal of distress. Three fires in a triangle is the classic.

Is that a distress signal? I thought a triangle usually indicates a landing zone for a helicopter?

I thought three fires in a straight line would be more of a distress signal.
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 04:23 PM

I've been told by more than one rescue pilot that if you are merrily hiking along and a helicopter flies in close, you and everyone in your party should face the helicopter and make the "N" body signal with your arms to signal "No". Don't wave your arms - just stand there making the signal. This tells the pilot that you do not need help and they can fly off to look for the hikers they are looking for.

Of course, if you do need help, then everyone in your party should raise both hands in a "Y" for "Yes" (again no waving - just make the signal, face the pilot and stand there) and the pilot will interpret that as you needing help.

Pretty simple stuff.

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 05:28 PM

Thanks Nugget. That's a pretty simply system!
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 06:32 PM

Hopefully, one arm is not injured preventing you from making the “Y” which would then appear to be an “N”.

Pete
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney
Is that a distress signal? I thought a triangle usually indicates a landing zone for a helicopter?

I thought three fires in a straight line would be more of a distress signal.

I've read both straight line and triangle in several references. I've never read about three fires being used to mark a landing zone, however.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 06:45 PM

I've never read about three fires being used to mark a landing zone, however.

The first link in Izzy's post earlier has a set of ground signals similar to things I've read in the past. It also shows a triangle to indicate a landing spot.

I think I first read about the triangle on those deck of survival cards, way, way back when. Actually, Izzy's link may be exactly the same set of signals.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/29/11 06:53 PM

My experience is setting up improvised LZs is to simply activate one strobe (at night) to indicate the spot. If possible we had one person on the periphery with his arms straight out, back to the wind, which is really critical to the pilot. In daylight, we would pop smoke.

On one occasion we had to improvise with a bonfire - fortunately it was a hoist operation. None of the pilots in post operation critiques ever mentioned the need for more indicators.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/30/11 01:10 AM

What signal would you give to a helicopter pilot who was landing in a bad spot? Such as the top looks like grass, but it's really the top of a six-foot-deep swamp?

Arney: "Is that a distress signal? I thought a triangle usually indicates a landing zone for a helicopter?"

Three fires in a triangle is a distress signal. The triangle for "safe place to land" is usually anything BUT a fire: rocks, brush, depressions stomped in snow, etc.

Sue
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/30/11 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan
What signal would you give to a helicopter pilot who was landing in a bad spot? Such as the top looks like grass, but it's really the top of a six-foot-deep swamp?

The helicopter "wave off" signal is to wave your arms back and forth above your head, first outstretched then crossing above your head, then then uncrossed and outstretched again. Repeat.

Note the possibility for confusion, as many people might do this instinctively when trying to attract attention. However, to a helicopter pilot this means "don't land!"
Posted by: Susan

Re: Emergency Communication - 11/30/11 02:53 AM

Thanks! I had seen that in movies, but movies are almost always wrong.

Sue