Cutting seat belts-How often?

Posted by: hikermor

Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/20/11 09:56 PM

On the current "EDC-Air Travel" thread, as on many others, there is mention of the need for a seat belt cutter, needed in order to free a person from a seat belt, presumably jammed as a result of impact. I am curious, just how often does this situation occur in real life? Are there any data? Anecdotes are fun, but data would be better. I hope to hear from those with actual experience in cutting victims free....

Just a question posed on a slow, mellow rainy afternoon.....
Posted by: dweste

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/20/11 10:04 PM

Data is good.
Posted by: Leo

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/20/11 10:05 PM

Don't know about aircraft but with auto wrecks I cut the seat belt rather than lean in and over the patient to release the buckle. Especialy important if the airbag hasn't deployed. I don't know if any were actualy jammed.
leo
Posted by: Susan

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/20/11 10:35 PM

A close friend of mine (an insurance adjuster) was driving the company car to the site of an incident. Her company (Farmer's Insurance) had received notice of defective seat belt anchors, but chose to ignore it.

A man ran the red light from a cross street and she t-boned him. The seatbelt anchor pulled loose and her head and shoulders slammed into the windshield and and its frame.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but if a car company can build cars with defective seat belt anchors, do you think they might also be making some defective seat belt latches?

I can see how an accident could jam the belt, or it could have been damaged prior to the accident, or maybe it's just old and worn out.

If it only happens to one person a year, and you or your wife or child are that victim.....

Sue
Posted by: Arney

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/20/11 11:31 PM

According to this NHTSA webpage, it says:
Quote:
Crash data and law enforcement crash reports show that belts jam in crashes fewer than one percent of the time.

Considering the large number of crashes every year, that's not an insignificant number of jammed belts nationwide. Now, whether a jammed belt made any difference in survival...that's a separate question.

So, take your chance of being in a crash *and* having a belt jam *and* being in a situation where you must get out of the belt quickly....that's a pretty small number for most of us, I think.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/20/11 11:54 PM

This last February, after nearly 22 years as a volunteer firefighter I cut my first seat belt. It was a fatal rollover and we could not access the buckle. Otherwise I have never not been able to unbuckle a seat belt.
Posted by: THIRDPIG

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/21/11 01:02 AM

http://www.airbagsolutions.com/docs/Pretensioners.pdf

As or cars....
Posted by: samhain

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/21/11 01:29 AM

I've only had my seatbelt latch jam once (in 30 years). I was sitting in my carport and jimmied around with it to get it loose. This was a case of my sticking the belt in catty-wampers (hard to picture given the thousands of times we do it, but it happened).

It was only once, and a no-stress situation, but the thought of it happening while the car's on fire or upside down in a ditch kinda spooked me a little. I carry a Res-q-me on my keyring (in addition to pocket knife/ multitool) now and keep one in the DW and DD's cars.

They'll probably never need them, but they humor me, and I feel better. They love me enough to humor me...
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/21/11 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt26
This last February, after nearly 22 years as a volunteer firefighter I cut my first seat belt. It was a fatal rollover and we could not access the buckle. Otherwise I have never not been able to unbuckle a seat belt.

9 years in EMS and I never cut one. Anecdotal, I know, but all I got.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/21/11 01:11 PM

not an answer, but my rationale...there have been several fatal incidents with older Floridians (like me) in retention ponds... in addition to my EDC clip folder, I have a Newt Livesay neck knife and spring loaded punch on a piece of 550 cord looped around my cigarette plug... a second punch is Ranger banded to my 2D LED mag lite in the console
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/21/11 01:24 PM

I have found that it is more a matter of ease and speed to cut the belt rather than try to reach in and unbuckle the belt. In pulling casualties out of vehicle hit by roadside IEDs, it was always quicker and easier to cut and pull them out. There were always straps and equipment hanging up on something when you are trying to pull them out, and if you are under fire at the time, or the vehicle is burning, climbing in is not a good idea. I almost always used a pair of EMT shears for the job. They are safe and quick. Not your typical automobile crash, and anecdotal.

I keep two pairs of EMT shears in my vehicle, one on each side of the front. This way either person can reach them and we can reach into the back seat. Not expecting any roadside bombs here, but some habits I have not been able to break yet. I have used them often though; mostly for opening things and simple cutting jobs. I just prefer shears to a knife in an enclosed space.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/21/11 02:39 PM

To the best of my recollection, twice in 20+ years, both time with shears. In most trauma situations, I almost always cut clothing off, so shears are a must and they work well with seat belts and webbing as well.

Pete
Posted by: WB2QGZ

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/21/11 05:38 PM

11 Years in Fire/EMS, I can only recall 2. One t-bone and one head on, considerable damage to vehicles, access to latch limited and seatbelt snared on various deformed debris. Both times cut lap and shoulder clear with shears. As I responded to a lot of minor MVAs, I guess it would be fair to say around 10 major wrecks a year requiring more than a door pop, so just at or less than 2% of the time for me.

Cut plenty of seatbelts in training, I was involved in my departments hydraulic rescue tool training and we'd end up cutting up 4 wrecks from the salvage yard every week in the summer. I found a lot of the hook bladed cutters would bind up on a slightly loose belt (even sharp ones) and need 2 hands to operate. A rounded tip serrated Spyderco rescue blade or shears allowed me to cut the belts quickly and safely with one hand.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/21/11 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: WB2QGZ
I found a lot of the hook bladed cutters would bind up on a slightly loose belt (even sharp ones) and need 2 hands to operate. A rounded tip serrated Spyderco rescue blade or shears allowed me to cut the belts quickly and safely with one hand.
Good information. Thanks.

HJ
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/22/11 12:29 AM

I think this question was focused on aircraft. If I'm correct, does anyone have data for aircraft belts and latches specifically? On commercial aircraft I believe it is typically an Amsafe buckle. More here: http://www.amsafe.com/products-services/...ight-seatbelt/.

They're rated to 3000 lbs. Whether or not they jam at 3,000 lbs, I have no idea.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/22/11 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
I think this question was focused on aircraft. If I'm correct, does anyone have data for aircraft belts and latches specifically?

As a matter of fact, it wasn't. But it is a good question...
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/22/11 05:44 PM

Emergency cutting of seat belts seems to fall under ' interesting but not factual'
At least for civilians.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/28/11 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
I think this question was focused on aircraft. If I'm correct, does anyone have data for aircraft belts and latches specifically?
No data, but I am aware of this: aircraft buckles are different to car buckles. On the face of it, that seems crazy to me. The aircraft ones open by being pulled or lifted, where car buckles need to be pushed. People have died in 'plane crashes because in a crisis they reverted to the car system they were familiar with, and it doesn't work on 'planes. The aeroplane safety lecture explains how to unfasten their belts in an attempt to over-come that.

So, given the apparent life-saving advantages of changing aeroplane buckles to work the same as car buckles, I assume there is some major overriding benefit to keeping them as they are. I'd guess they were more reliable and less likely to jam.

(PS I too thought the original post's mention of air travel meant this was more about aeroplanes than cars.)
Posted by: Lono

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/28/11 02:13 PM

I'm just speculating, but maybe the car type buckle can't survive the higher g forces in an accident. Aircraft buckles are designed to keep you in your seat to a fairly high crash (g) force. Also aircraft latch type buckles seem simpler mechanically than car button type buckles - less expensive. And less likely to jam, sure - can you imagine the dilemmas on board if passengers couldn't get their button tyhpe buckles to unlatch and disembark?
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/28/11 03:36 PM

I worked a lot of MVAs in EMS. We never needed to cut a seatbelt because the buckle was stuck. We had to cut them because the buckle was hard to reach or because the belt was snarled in debris.

+1 to the comment about hooked cutters, if there's any slack in the material they will usually hang up. Happened to me with the Benchmade Rescue Hook.

The fix for this problem is so low cost, low hassle, and effective that I would keep an appropriate tool on hand.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 11/30/11 01:59 AM

Like others have said, needing to cut a seat-belt in a vehicle due to the buckle jamming is rare. I have cut 1 seat-belt on an actual call in my Fire/EMS career. In that one case, I cut the seat-belt because I couldn't reach across a VERY large patient.

I can see a use for a specific webbing cutting tool in aviation and combat where expedient victim removal is often necessary.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? - 12/06/11 08:52 PM

...Splinter removal tool, on the other hand...