Hunter's pack

Posted by: TeacherRO

Hunter's pack - 11/08/11 08:02 PM

What should a hunter carry in the cooler regions for the north - Fall to winter season?

Small pack with
1. dry socks
2. rain gear
3. basic 10
3. water
4. Direction finding; gps/ map/ compass
5. cell phone. charged
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/08/11 08:10 PM

The version of the Ten Essentials I've seen already include extra clothes, water, map and compass.

The three things that are hardest to improvise in the field are a knife, fire making and a flashlight, so I'd suggest redundancy in those areas. Redundant navigation (a GPS plus a map and compass) is also highly recommended. I usually drop a waypoint at camp and/or at the trailhead and then turn the GPS off, relying on map and compass from there on. There's a strong argument to be made for having the GPS track your movement, but in that case I'd want to bring spare batteries.

Definitely add cordage to the list. I also like to add a metal cup, which makes boiling water for disinfection or for tea much easier.

I'd add a PLB if possible. They're more rugged and more likely to work than a cellphone.
Posted by: Finn

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/08/11 08:15 PM

Hi,

I tend to carry more gear than is necessary, but I agree with chaosmagnet.
Am going on a day trip myself Friday. I'm sure I'll carry too much. Ha!
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/08/11 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
What should a hunter carry in the cooler regions for the north - Fall to winter season?

Small pack with
1. dry socks
2. rain gear
3. basic 10
3. water
5. cell phone. charged

Everyone's interpretation of the "Basic 10" seems to be a little different, but if you mean the original 10 Essentials published by The Mountaineers in I believe the 1930's (map, compass, light, sun protection, extra food and water, extra clothing, matches, firestarter [tinder], knife, and FAK), I would add:
-shelter, at least trash bags
-duct tape
-a whistle
-a signal mirror
-possibly a PLB
-A lightweight insulating pad of at least sit down size, particularly if there's snow/frozen ground
-20' 550 cord

You can go on an on from there and get a pack so big that you can't move, but I'd add at least those things.

HJ
Posted by: DavidEnoch

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/08/11 08:22 PM

I would add a closed cell foam pad to sit on and also something to clean up with after field dressing your game.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/08/11 11:20 PM

Maybe a small sleeping bag/poncho liner to go under a space blanket. Might be chilly up north if you're stuck outside overnight.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 12:31 AM

I agree with everyone who's chimed in so far. I always recommend carrying extra shelter, food and firemaking when the cold weather arrives, including extra tinder. Cold and wet isn't fun and can be dangerous.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 01:02 AM

I'd start with my Core 15:
Knife, Firestarters (2 kinds), water carrier and purification, metal pot/cup/bottle, signals (cell, active audiable and visual- you should have passive visual with your blaze orange already, PLB if you can swing it), cordage, navigation (compass, map, gps), flashlight (with batteries), fak, tools (pliers and a SAK or a multi), socks, ID, some small food, and rain gear and/or thermal layer, in a small pack. Oh, wait, that's my EDC- so I'll add a little more.

For hunting, I'd add a tarp or sportsmans blanket (maybe a wool blanket, to), gauntlets, guts bag, a couple chemlights or a light stick, some thermal packs, minimal cleaning kit, and a spare blaze vest for the deer, and some surveyor's tape.

Oh, and a partner. I don't do big game alone, deer or bear. Easier to carry out with two. smile
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 02:33 AM

Here's a link to the Minnesota DNR website. They recommend some pretty basic items for overnight survival.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/tips/safety.html
Posted by: ponder

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 02:54 AM

What are you hunting?

Describe your hunt plan.

Someone will surely remember to bring the gun and 4 rounds of ammo to walk up behind the barn.

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
... a spare blaze vest for the deer, and some surveyor's tape.
Excellent idea to bring a vest for the deer. Some surveyor's tape on the antlers should clear things up for any bleary eyed hunters.

Question on the chem lights/light sticks. I stopped carrying them because they generally have a short shelf life. Any brands out there with year+ shelf lives?

HJ
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 03:33 AM

I've mostly stopped for that reason to, but I do still keep some around becuase they are zero-spark and utterly waterproof. And then I throw them into jackle lanterns at halloween- radioactive green is kinda cool to me, and the landlord appreciates the no candles. But I EDC a Garrity light stick, not the most robust light I have but it is on par with a normal Cylume for brightness, lasts longer, and can be turned off. Or set to strobe, and then if you swing it like a bullroarer, yeah, that's obvious at night.

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 04:22 AM

I've mostly stopped for that reason to, but I do still keep some around becuase they are zero-spark and utterly waterproof. And then I throw them into jackle lanterns at halloween- radioactive green is kinda cool to me, and the landlord appreciates the no candles. But I EDC a Garrity light stick, not the most robust light I have but it is on par with a normal Cylume for brightness, lasts longer, and can be turned off. Or set to strobe, and then if you swing it like a bullroarer, yeah, that's obvious at night.
Exactly. The Garrity might be good way to go. I used to carry a life jacket type USCG approved strobe but finally gave it up as too heavy. I keep it in my car kit now.

HJ

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 04:27 AM

I'd start with my Core 15:
Knife, Firestarters (2 kinds), water carrier and purification, metal pot/cup/bottle, signals (cell, active audiable and visual- you should have passive visual with your blaze orange already, PLB if you can swing it), cordage, navigation (compass, map, gps), flashlight (with batteries), fak, tools (pliers and a SAK or a multi), socks, ID, some small food, and rain gear and/or thermal layer, in a small pack. Oh, wait, that's my EDC- so I'll add a little more.

For hunting, I'd add a tarp or sportsmans blanket (maybe a wool blanket, to), gauntlets, guts bag, a couple chemlights or a light stick, some thermal packs, minimal cleaning kit, and a spare blaze vest for the deer, and some surveyor's tape.

Oh, and a partner. I don't do big game alone, deer or bear. Easier to carry out with two. smile
How does he feel about the inside of your pack? wink

HJ
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 04:30 AM

A bright orange fleece or merino wool Balaclava,w/ an xtra large wool watchcap(beanie)to go over that,good mittens w/ shooting finger,a frisbee to sit on,dig snow with,eat off of,organize tinder,etc.,etc.Waterproof gaiters & A Doug Ritter PSK hanging around your neck or in a shirt pocket.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Question on the chem lights/light sticks. I stopped carrying them because they generally have a short shelf life. Any brands out there with year+ shelf lives?

HJ

My experience is that the typical chem lights are worthless since they more often than not are dark when you need them. The exception are chem lights made for PFS's. They are packaged in a tough plastic capsule that does protect them properly. Look for a USCG approval.
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 12:27 PM

One of the big problems with winter survival is starting a fire in a cold wet windy environment. Carrying a bic lighter and some vaseline coated cotton balls may not be enough. You might want to tuck a road flare and/or a small can of zippo fuel in your pack for that ultimate wet wood fire starting capability. Might save your life if you suddenly find yourself soaking wet.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
One of the big problems with winter survival is starting a fire in a cold wet windy environment. Carrying a bic lighter and some vaseline coated cotton balls may not be enough. You might want to tuck a road flare and/or a small can of zippo fuel in your pack for that ultimate wet wood fire starting capability. Might save your life if you suddenly find yourself soaking wet.

+1. I like to think I'm pretty handy with firecraft but winter here is challenging. We can get extended sub-zero temps. Humidity isn't usually an issue but of course we get cold and wet, too. I've been keeping some vacuum sealed Esbit/Hexamine tabs for emergencies...once it gets bad out I'll test them in the wet & cold.

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 01:44 PM

It's hard to beat an Esbit tab for a firestarter.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 04:18 PM

I like to carry a small medicine bottle stuffed with cotton balls/vasaline and big chucks of pine pitch.

A tiny squeeze bottle with chalk line chalk in a bright color
to test wind direction and as another method for marking a blood
trail if grid ribbon runs out.

Sometimes a 6 foot piece of tubular climbing webbing to make a
drag harness out of.

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
It's hard to beat an Esbit tab for a firestarter.
It's pretty good stuff although "Boy Scout Juice" (white gasoline) works pretty good too.

HJ
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
My experience is that the typical chem lights are worthless since they more often than not are dark when you need them. The exception are chem lights made for PFS's. They are packaged in a tough plastic capsule that does protect them properly. Look for a USCG approval.

Any brand recommendations? I guess I'll have to test one of my chem lights tonight. Would hate to find out that I wasted money. Would be worse to find that out when I need them.

DB
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 06:42 PM

I carry the ten essentials with a beefed up FAK, yellow Playtex kitchen gloves (much more rugged than surgical gloves), a GPS, PLB.

In winter I'll add my small alcohol stove, hot chocolate, and some extra food high in carbs.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 07:19 PM

I have not messed around with chem lights for several years, so perhaps things have changed, but on at least six occasions either I or someone in my party has ripped off the covering from a chem lite and snapped it, only to find - no light. I did carry the more durable kind and I found them to work much better, although I only had limited experience, perhaps three samples.

The ones that work are made specifically for installation on a PFD; they have a large clip for that purpose attached to the tube. I am not sure about brand names, but they did have a USCG approval number.

The problem with the normal variety seemed to be wear and tear on the outside covering; the ones that failed were worn and displayed pinholes.

There are electronic versions of chem lights that I suspect are more reliable, if equipped with good batteries. I have not tried any of them.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 07:30 PM

TeacherRO,

A question or two first. What kind of hunting? Cooler north of where? Hunting boar in North Florida is a LOT different from hunting phesant in north Nebraska, which is even more different from hunting Elk in north Montana. All of these call for different packs.

In a general sense I agree with the information you have already been given, but I like to look at the pack in a slightly different way. There are three sets of "stuff" in your pack, although some of them work in more than one set. First is the things you need for everyday in the field - the stuff you WILL use. Water, lunch (for me a pot, tea cup and matches) spare socks, TP, jacket, maps and compass, etc. Then there is the stuff you need for what you are planning to do - Rifle, ammo, knife, game bags, gauntlets, wet naps, etc. This is the stuff you hope to use.

The third catagory is those things you hope you DON'T use. The dedicated survival stuff. This includes your PSK in a shirt or pants pocket, your FAK, survival matches and additional fire starters plus tinder, shelter (including clothing) for a night out, etc. It often includes backups for many of the things you carry for the first two reasons as well.

I will assume that you know what you need for the first two reasons. I can't answer them except in the most general way without the answer to my first questions. The last reason is, I think, what you are asking about. My criteria for this last group is that I can spend a safe - if not comfortable - night out in the worst weather possible. I need to augment my daytime clothing with additional pieces suitable for nighttime temps in whatever shelter I carry or can provide from the environment. Then I wish to be found in the morning when people come looking for me (they will, I leave a good trip plan).

Now to something of a list for Fall/Winter -
Your 10 - 20 :-) essentials,
a shelter appropriate for the weather (from a heavy duty reflective sheet to a bivi bag to a tarp or forester tent to a tent),
an insulating layer (blanket, poncho liner, sleeping bag, etc) enough to help the daytime clothing become appropriate for the night,
some ground insulation (situpon, thermarest chair, mattress)
and dinner and breakfast (in cold weather food is critical for maintaining temperatature, only this and a fire add heat).
Several ways of making fire for warmth, companionship and warm food.
a trip plan.
several means of finding my way home (for me this is usually part of my basic gear and/or my reason for being in the woods) map & compass, GPS.
several means of summoning help (whistle, mirror, lights, radio, PLB, cell phone)

I consider these the minimum for cold weather protection. After you spend a few nights out you may too. Many people consider me an "over-achiever" in survival gear (my words, not theirs). I have spent too many unintended nights out to consider less.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
IMHO white gas = tinder & esbit tabs = kindling

Like a cotton ball (sans the pj) liquid fuels tend to burn for a few seconds, use that to light a solid fuel tab which normally burns for several minutes and you've got a hard to beat combo. (I go with a jp cotton ball & an esbit tab, it's been a long time since I've been able to get a fire to the add fuel stage.

Ah. I see what you're saying.

HJ
Posted by: Crowe

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/09/11 11:24 PM

Energizer is marketing a battery operated lightstick similiar to the Lifegear one, albiet without the cheesy whistle. Side by side in Target, the Energizer looked slightly brighter to me.

Cheers,

C. Rowe
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/10/11 12:13 AM

Small pack with
1. dry socks
2. rain gear
3. basic 10
3. water
5. cell phone. charged

FWIW, I wouldn't consider going out hunting without a good emergency trauma package with me. Used to be a PITA, now you can get them all assembled with good supplies for a reasonable price. Stuff happens hunting that can be a lot more difficult to deal with than a typical injury on a hike.

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/10/11 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I second that. Blow out kit is a must.

There's a very small and inexpensive one that I carry in my laptop bag: http://www.rescue-essentials.com/product_p/30-0955.htm (no affiliation other than as a customer).
Posted by: bulletproofvest

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/11/11 04:27 PM

hey, don't forget some snacks. and a first aid kit, mind you. hunting in the wild is always dangerous so you need to be prepared for injuries.

-----------------------
http://concealedbodyarmor.weebly.com/

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/11/11 05:43 PM

I go with the Adventure Medical Kits "Pocket Trauma Pack." For $20 you get QuikClot along with the traditional trauma items.

Does it come with a tourniquet?

Quote:
Showed them my AMK PTP and they were like "Pfft. Don't need it."

Mindset is first, training is second, gear is third. They need to get themselves an improved mindset if you ask me.

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/11/11 05:46 PM

"Pfft. Don't need it."
Famous last words.

Yeah, a twisted ankle is probably a more frequent occurrence on a hunt than a gunshot wound, but it does happen. Think of it as a PFD for hunters. Not something you plan to use, but just a sensible (and reasonable) precaution, and like a PFD, the consequences of not having one are potentially quite dire.

HJ

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/11/11 06:07 PM

A tourniquet for someone else isn't too hard to improvise if you've got the right belt or some strapping. For self-aid, though, you really want to have one that's purpose-built for one-handed application. The SWAT-T in the Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit doesn't fit that bill, I should really add a CAT-T to my laptop bag. Finding room for an IFAK in my laptop bag is excessive; I'm better off using that room for other things.

My most complete IFAK (http://www.narescue.com/USCG_IFAK-CN5B2F15EFB001.html, highly recommended, no affliation) is in my range bag. I've added a few things to it. It goes onto my belt when I'm on the range shooting or as an RSO. I keep a modified Army IFAK in my BOB.

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/11/11 07:57 PM

Personally I EDC both a IFAK (AMK Ultralight & Watertight .7) and my pocket trauma pack. I've been victim or witness to Murphy's Law too many times to not want to cover all my bases.

The Army IFAK I was referring to is this one: http://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/NSN-Listings/IFAK.htm. I've added better and more tape, a CPR facemask, better gloves, shears, a dose of aspirin, a dose of Benadryl, petrolatum gauze, and a tension pneumothorax decompression needle. Thank goodness I've only opened it up for training and restocking. The regular FAK in my BOB gets a heck of a lot of use, though.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/11/11 08:13 PM

Last Friday night I was at a bonfire party. Few guys there who hunt. Another who does tactical pistol shooting competitions. None of them carry blow out kits. Showed them my AMK PTP and they were like "Pfft. Don't need it."

You must be losing your hearing as you get older Izzy. Surely you must have missed the "hopefully" or "God willing" in there somewhere. wink

Re: Hunter's pack - 11/11/11 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Last Friday night I was at a bonfire party. Few guys there who hunt. Another who does tactical pistol shooting competitions. None of them carry blow out kits. Showed them my AMK PTP and they were like "Pfft. Don't need it."

You must be losing your hearing as you get older Izzy. Surely you must have missed the "hopefully" or "God willing" in there somewhere. wink
Maybe they said "In'shallah" -- slightly different meaning (sort of resigning oneself to the will of God).

HJ