The "New" ETS is Up

Posted by: Hikin_Jim

The "New" ETS is Up - 11/05/11 07:12 PM

The "new, improved" ETS is up. Looks pretty darned good. Congrats to HTMLSpinnr (and anyone else who pitched in). I noticed a little outage around 1015 PDT, but everything seems normal now. Having worked in the IT world, I know platform migrations are are seldom "transparent".

HJ
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/05/11 07:31 PM

Re fundraiser: Might one suggest that you set up a PayPal account? I'm quite happy to make ad hoc donations but, and I am sure that I am not the only one, I operate a blanket policy of not doing direct payments, and with the best will in the world, once people start making electronic donations some S.O.B thieving P.O.S. is going to hack your security.

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/05/11 08:06 PM

For anyone under 18 out there, SOB means "suspected of burglary" and POS means "person of suspicion." Us adults have a lot of codes, don't we?

This family friendly reminder brought to you by Deputy HJ. smile

HJ
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/05/11 08:44 PM

Hey, Jim turned green!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/05/11 09:44 PM

Thanks.

All we did is migrate data to a different host (Rackspace) because the existing solution is several years old and will be shutdown at the middle of the month. That, and a degraded disk array was chewing performance (and making Doug awfully nervous about losing his data). It was time to move.

Doug's main sites are a bit more challenging because they came from a Windows host which didn't care about case sensitivity to the same Linux box which DOES care. Doug will have his work cut out for him cleaning some of the broken links and images up.

We're still working on the back-end for other sites and doing some fine tuning of web server configs, so you may see things go up and down for another day or two.
Posted by: Blast

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/05/11 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Re fundraiser: Might one suggest that you set up a PayPal account? I'm quite happy to make ad hoc donations but, and I am sure that I am not the only one, I operate a blanket policy of not doing direct payments, and with the best will in the world, once people start making electronic donations some S.O.B thieving P.O.S. is going to hack your security.

Link to donate to ETS.
-Blast
Posted by: Arney

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/06/11 01:10 AM

Oooo, it's faster. I like it! Thanks! smile

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/06/11 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Hey, Jim turned green!
Yup. They done deputized me.

HJ
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/06/11 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Thanks. We will look at various options down the road. Right now we are focused on getting everything we can working. This forum and Knife Rights were critical, the rest somewhat less so and it's not like none of us doesn't have a day job or two or three. <~>

Rick has done a great job in helping make this go as smooth as possible and I really appreciate his help. The only for sure loss with the the PLB FAQ which was Windwoes based and I don't have time to redo. <shrug> Maybe someday.

WRT PayPal, we have had significant difficulty getting those $%&@&s to approve ETS Foundation. They won't accept the proof we have that we are a 501(c)(3) and we can't provide them the proof they insist upon because it cannot exist. Catch 22 or as it's becoming known everywhere, "Catch PayPal." PayPal is absolutely the worst (and that's as nice as I can put it) and could not give a damn about customer service. as near as I can tell, it isn't even in its vocabulary.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/07/11 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

The only for sure loss with the the PLB FAQ which was Windwoes based and I don't have time to redo. <shrug> Maybe someday.

I have some of the FAQs on my PC. Let me know if you would like them back ?

... and well done to all the people who made the upgrade, and ongoing support possible.

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/07/11 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Aussie

The only for sure loss with the the PLB FAQ which was Windwoes based and I don't have time to redo. <shrug> Maybe someday.

I have some of the FAQs on my PC. Let me know if you would like them back ?

Thanks for the offer. Not loss as in "lost." We have them, the FAQ software just won't run on the Linus box. So, it would need to be ported to some new FAQ software via some means or other, which could possibly be automated in some manner by someone sufficiently skilled or which could require copy and past from the old database to some new FAQ.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/07/11 02:01 AM

PayPal is absolutely the worst

Is Google Checkout any better? From my perspective as a consumer, it's significantly better.

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/07/11 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
PayPal is absolutely the worst

Is Google Checkout any better? From my perspective as a consumer, it's significantly better.

No idea

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/08/11 04:11 PM

Is it just me or are the time stamps on the posts still off?
Posted by: Hermes

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/08/11 04:21 PM

The server's time zone shifted for 4 hours, you may go to "My Stuff" --> "Edit Preference" to edit it to your local time zone for display.

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/08/11 05:27 PM

Hermes, Izzy, thanks for the tip. I guess that's one personal setting that didn't carry over from the previous version.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/08/11 05:29 PM

Yep, correct, new server is set to GMT, not Arizona MST. You'll need to adjust your offset in your preferences to correct this. Unfortunately I don't see DST support in this version of UBBThreads, but it's not the latest version either.

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/09/11 05:56 AM

Is it just me or are the times in the main body responding if I enter a time zone offset (PST = -8) but the times shown in the right hand column (Newest Posts) are still showing GMT?

HJ

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/09/11 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
That's been like that for as long as I can remember.
Even before the switch to a new server? lol. Good thing I'm on top of stuff around here.

HJ
Posted by: Desperado

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/11/11 04:30 AM

Somebody might want to check the clock on the server. I think it might be set to GMT. Either that, or I am the first post since 0524 hrs today.

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/11/11 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Somebody might want to check the clock on the server. I think it might be set to GMT. Either that, or I am the first post since 0524 hrs today.
Yes, the clock on the server is definitely set to GMT. If you go into your profile, you can enter an offset. For example, EST has an offset of -5, CST -6, MST -7, and PST -8. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, so I entered -8 on my profile, and now my times are showing correctly in the main body of the forum. The the little "Newest Posts" column on the right hand side of the page won't necessarily show the right times.

HJ
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/11/11 12:35 PM

Clock? What clock? The information posted here is timeless....

Re: The "New" ETS is Up - 11/11/11 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Clock? What clock? The information posted here is timeless....
As are our members. wink

HJ